TX TX - Emily Garcia, 15, pregnant, Canyon Lake, 12 Feb 1993

Oy vey mama, this case stinks, it smells real bad, like a rat. I cannot beLIEve, in this country in the 90's, a teenager, a pregant teen, goes missing (starved and tortured) and that is basically the end of the case? A double murder!!!
My first thought, who was the father ...start there.
This case makes me sick.
RIP Emily Garcia and Emilio.

Fwiw - I got half way through the movie and stopped watching. The acting is very good imo, but I don't see any resemblance to the reported facts. None. So wondering why the movie is said to be a recreation of Emily's case.

Imo, it serves to distort what the reported facts are. Are the reported facts wrong? I wonder who came up with this script.

If the reported facts are correct, which I believe for the moment, then this bf, or any bf, is unlikely to be involved imo. Where does a teen get the resources to hold someone for 2 weeks, which is left out of the movie version. How does a teen bf get unsupervised access to a teen gf if the gf is being held at a juvenile centre of some kind?

I still think the ME did a 'favor' on request for someone. The ME knows who they did this 'favor' for. If the ME doesn't know who the father of the unborn baby was, then whoever the ME did the 'favor' for knows. Jmo.

Just look at this weeks highlighted cold case - the suspect is/was a cop at the time another cop went missing and there is motive. Some people have power they should not have, imo.

I agree with what you've said. For what other reason would they remove the foetus and cremate it when they were burying Emily? wouldn't it be typical for a foetus to be buried with the mother?

Poor Emily and little Emilio. I feel that her childhood played a role in the troubles in her teen years after reading some of the details of Emilys childhood. So sad.

I've read some of the website, and it appears that an official missing persons report was not made. Mom was told she had to wait 48 hours so she called the Runaway Hotline. This call was not successful and Mom questions whether this could have made a difference in her daughters case. But still no mention of the official missing persons report being made after 48 hours.

Has anyone found this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Emily and little Emilio. I feel that her childhood played a role in the troubles in her teen years after reading some of the details of Emilys childhood. So sad.

I've read some of the website, and it appears that an official missing persons report was not made. Mom was told she had to wait 48 hours so she called the Runaway Hotline. This call was not successful and Mom questions whether this could have made a difference in her daughters case. But still no mention of the official missing persons report being made after 48 hours.

Has anyone found this?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

I found this blog http://forthemissing.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/emily-jeanette-garcia/ which quotes statements that Emily's mom made on the family website a few years ago. She says:

I made a missing person report on or about the 12th of February 1993…..The man told me at that time, “Look, Lady, what do you want us to do?” “I’ve got 200 cases on my desk alone!” When I asked him,” if he and everyone that worked in that office had that many cases on their desks, what was being done?” he got mad at me and slammed the phone down. The missing person’s report that should have been made, and that could have made a difference between Emily being found alive or murdered, was never made. There was about 13 days where Emily was missing before she was murdered and her body was found in Canyon Lake. There was never, and still isn’t, a missing person’s report for Emily Garcia.

BBM

BBM

I found this blog http://forthemissing.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/emily-jeanette-garcia/ which quotes statements that Emily's mom made on the family website a few years ago. She says:

I made a missing person report on or about the 12th of February 1993…..The man told me at that time, “Look, Lady, what do you want us to do?” “I’ve got 200 cases on my desk alone!” When I asked him,” if he and everyone that worked in that office had that many cases on their desks, what was being done?” he got mad at me and slammed the phone down. The missing person’s report that should have been made, and that could have made a difference between Emily being found alive or murdered, was never made. There was about 13 days where Emily was missing before she was murdered and her body was found in Canyon Lake. There was never, and still isn’t, a missing person’s report for Emily Garcia.

BBM

MOO is that this wasnt your typical intact Leave It To Beaver type of family. Because of problems in the family, I'll bet LE didnt take the mom seriously and blew her off thinking Emily had taken off to be with friends and would show up in a few days, therefore it would e a waste of time to take the report, much less look for her. And that is sad because even though there probably were problems, this mom loved her daughter and her daughter didnt deserve this.

Does anyone remember what year the federal law went into effect that requires authorities to take a missing person's report on minors, and no longer allows them to enforce a waiting period?

I thought for sure the law was enacted in or had taken effect by 93, and that police HAD to take a missing person's report, but not necessarily actively search for the missing person.

According to wikipedia (I need to look for a better source), it says it was enacted in 1990. QUOTE:

The National Child Search Assistance Act of 1990 (NCSA) (42 U.S.C. 5779 (Reporting Requirement) and 42 U.S.C. 5780 (State Requirements): The NCSA requires local, state and federal law enforcement agencies to immediately enter information about abducted children into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database without requiring a waiting period.

National Child Search Assistance Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If my memory is correct, when Emily went missing, the local police were required by federal law to at least take the missing persons report, and possibly even enter the info into NCIC within a certain amount of time. I thought it was within 24 hours. (According to wiki, the law has been amended and that time period has been reduced.)

If this was the law in 93, didn't the police break a federal law when they basically told Emily's mom that already had too many missing persons cases to be bothered with taking the report? Is that phrase "abducted children" actually in the law? Does it give them a loophole to get out of taking the report because it doesn't say "missing children"? At the time, Emily's mother only knew that she was missing and didn't know that she had actually been abducted.

BBM

BBM

This conversation was with the Runaway Hotline volunteer, per the families website. This hotline is a resource for runaways, kids thinking about running away and parents. They DO not file missing persons reports with LE.

I'm on my phone, will add link when I'm on my laptop later.

Oy vey mama, this case stinks, it smells real bad, like a rat. I cannot beLIEve, in this country in the 90's, a teenager, a pregant teen, goes missing (starved and tortured) and that is basically the end of the case? A double murder!!!
My first thought, who was the father ...start there.
This case makes me sick.
RIP Emily Garcia and Emilio.

I agree - this is a horrible case and not enough said and done so far. Everyone knows so much more today on what drives people to do such things.

I'm hoping the family will go to a DA and beg for help - this case begs to be solved. How many other victims have there been? That's the risk with silence.

What did/does the ME know? Did he/she keep samples for future testing of the fetus? This happened in 1993 - everyone in LE and the medical field knew what was on the way as far as forensic testing goes at that time. That's why I am suspicious of what the ME did.

HA! friends dont remember her , whatever I knew the second I saw her name who she was, and thats just from websites......I never knew the movie was about her case or any details of it I just knew her pretty face as soon as I saw the thread, so as far as not remembering her I definitely call BS!

This conversation was with the Runaway Hotline volunteer, per the families website. This hotline is a resource for runaways, kids thinking about running away and parents. They DO not file missing persons reports with LE.

I'm on my phone, will add link when I'm on my laptop later.

Quoting myself to add link:

http://theresayeary.tripod.com/id6.html

I wish I had the time and ability to make a timeline with facts only. I've read in a newspaper article, on the family website, that Emily had been out of her moms home since January. Which conflicts with the family website information. There are 2 different stories about the bus stop. 1.) Mom waited until Emily boarded the bus then went to work. 2.) Mom left for home as Emily was still waiting for the bus.

Too many if..., then..., scenarios with the conflicting stories.

If Emily was already living away from home, then who was she living with?

If Mom left before the bus arrived, then did Emily actually get on the bus?

Sent from my iPhone

Sure TracyLynnS - here is one of the links from the first post - snipped for brevity.

In this link, Emily is reported to have been released from detention on 28 Jan 1993. She had been incarcerated for 9 months at one facility, then a few months at another (length of time not specified) - no mention of a break in-between.

On 11 Feb 1993 or two weeks later, Emily was released from probation and had already told her mother she was pregnant. Not might be, was pregnant. After being released from probation, Emily's mother immediately began the process to have prenatal care for Emily. The process required a pregnancy confirmation by Planned Parenthood - the appointment Emily never went to on 12 Feb 1993.

The article also expresses doubt that the bf was the father of the baby - timing doesn't work.

Do we know anything different than what is in the above post - links from post #1 on page 1?

Emily had been released from detention for all of 2 weeks, as far as what is posted here. What could she have accomplished in those 2 weeks? She obtained a well paying job to move away from her mother? I don't see that, yet.

If Emily stayed somewhere else for one night, a few days, what does that establish as far as this crime goes?

But she was missing the one night she stayed away she never returned, and that friend has"poof"

Imo, Emily lied about where she would stay that night. That's what teenagers do - can attest to four of them doing just that.

The friend didn't want any part of it - can't blame her.

So who lured Emily away that night? Not a stranger, imo.

From what I've found:

She spent 9 months in juvenile detention for skipping school.

Then she spent 3 months at a rehab facility for teens. They give the name of this as MAUC. The Mexican American Unity Council - MAUC - has a variety of programs aimed at children, families.

She was released from MAUC in January when she went on 2-11-93 to be released from juvenile probation.

There's also a page with photos and information regarding the friend she was allegedly staying with. Details come out to reveal that Emily did not call her to arrange a visit or sleepover.

Edit: correction

I'm reading the same source of info alwaysonmymind - and with all due respect, the family website states Emily was released from detention on 28 Jan 1993.

That makes 2 weeks until she was released from probation and she went missing the same night.

Where, in your opinion, was Emily staying in those 2 weeks? Or do you have a link?

According to the family's website, when Emily's mom (Shiela) called police, she was told she had to wait 48 hours before they could take the report. She then called the runaway hotline, which was not helpful. After that, she called hospitals, morgue, teen hangouts, Emily's friends, etc.

QUOTE:

1) Sheila called Missing Persons to report Emily missing, only to be told by the police that you have to wait 48 hours before you can make that report. This is so crazy since the first 24-48 hours are the most important hours that can make the difference in finding that person dead or alive.

I'm reading the same source of info alwaysonmymind - and with all due respect, the family website states Emily was released from detention on 28 Jan 1993.

That makes 2 weeks until she was released from probation and she went missing the same night.

Where, in your opinion, was Emily staying in those 2 weeks? Or do you have a link?

My apologies Woodland.

I've updated my post.

The info on her release date was from a blog linked in the website, not the family website.

From what I've found:

She spent 9 months in juvenile detention for skipping school.

Then she spent 3 months at a rehab facility for teens. They give the name of this as MAUC. The Mexican American Unity Council - MAUC - has a variety of programs aimed at children, families.

She was released from MAUC in January when she went on 2-11-93 to be released from juvenile probation.

There's also a page with photos and information regarding the friend she was allegedly staying with. Details come out to reveal that Emily did not call her to arrange a visit or sleepover.

Edit: correction

So if this timeline is accurate, then she either became pregnant right before leaving the detention center, or soon after entering the MAUC program. From the facilities that I have worked in, it seems much more likely that if she became pregnant at the detention center, that it was with a staff member or other adult. Kids are carefully monitored and typically the genders are separated well at juvenile facilities, although not always perfectly.
A couple of other questions come to mind if this information is true- like I've never heard of a child getting 9 months locked up for skipping school. It seems there must have been more to that? And why would a teen go from 9 months locked up, presumably without access to drugs or alcohol, to a rehab? That doesn't make sense to me, either. Unless she was provided access to drugs or alcohol in detention? Or it wasn't Rehab?
Wouldn't it be great if one of her relatives joined us on here? Did you guys on the family sites see any way to invite them?
Oh, and this is ALL MY OPINION and my thoughts for the moment, subject to change without notice :blushing:

Have also wondered about the 3 months at a different facility. Was it some sort of transition house? For further help with issues of any kind?

Also wondering about a detail mentioned by Emily's mom and why it might be significant enough to mention on the website with Emily's story.

Emily and her mom met with the Chief Deputy of Juvenile Probation on the day Emily was released - his name is mentioned. They were to meet with him again in two weeks for the formal release of probation, but he was unable to attend and someone else stepped in to complete the process. His/her name is not mentioned.

Emily went missing later that night/early next morning.

Where did they meet - at the facility or some other office? Did the probation officers ever go to this facility to meet with the teens before their release date? Or did the probation officers meet the teens only on the day of release away from the facility?

Did the probation officers ever go to the other detention facility?

Just curious as to why the specifics on this part of the release.

Info is contained in the first paragraph of attachment.

Wouldn't it be great if one of her relatives joined us on here? Did you guys on the family sites see any way to invite them?

RSBM

IIRC, the family is aware that Emily has a thread here and they mentioned it on her site. I'll have to go take another look to be sure.... this is going from old, old memory.

ETA: Yep, they know about WS, and were thankful that her case is being discussed on here, but don't have a link on their page to direct people to WS.

http://theresayeary.tripod.com/id107.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back