South and Southwest

I fully understand that the FBI is NOT looking at high profile missing person's cases in relation to IK and that Holly Bobo doesn't fit into his timeline, however, I cannot help but point out something interesting I noticed when reading about Holly.....this is from an interview Clint Bobo gave about seeing his sister in the garage with the cammo man, BBM:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1108/04/ijvm.01.html

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So where did you find the blood?

C. BOBO: It was in the garage, under where I saw the silhouette of them kneeled down in the garage.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: When you saw them kneeling down did you think to ask them or approach them? How far away were you?

C. BOBO: No, I assumed -- I was inside the house and I assumed that that was Holly and her boyfriend Drew and he was dressed in full camouflage so I thought that Drew had been to the woods and killed a turkey and brought it back to the house and the two were sitting there over the turkey talking. After I saw the blood, I thought that was blood of a turkey that Drew had killed.

Compared to this:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fZvpie1Bw"]Surveillance video Samantha Koenig kidnapping - YouTube[/ame]

Starting at approximately 4:30 when IK forces Samantha to kneel down in the coffee stand, then enters and kneels down in front of her. Seems to me that might have been a well rehearsed routine for him.

Also, Clint describes Holly's abductor as "being approximately 5`10 and 200 pounds." and

C. BOBO: Well, the information that has come, as far as leading, I saw the two walking towards the woods, there was no leading, there was no dragging. They just looked like they were casually walking towards the woods. And it wasn`t until later they realized that my sister went to the woods in fear for her life.

Compare that statement to the above video for Samantha and I think you could say the same things about her until she managed to break free for a few seconds.

I'm guessing digndoodle has already spied all this and brought it out months ago but I was too dense to realize what she was saying....:blushing:

Just for clarification: I fully realize that IK was (officially per the FBI) no where near TN on April 13, 2011 and that more than one person could be using similar methods....but I had to point this out.

I fully understand that the FBI is NOT looking at high profile missing person's cases in relation to IK and that Holly Bobo doesn't fit into his timeline, however, I cannot help but point out something interesting I noticed when reading about Holly.....this is from an interview Clint Bobo gave about seeing his sister in the garage with the cammo man, BBM:

Compared to this:
Surveillance video Samantha Koenig kidnapping - YouTube

Starting at approximately 4:30 when IK forces Samantha to kneel down in the coffee stand, then enters and kneels down in front of her. Seems to me that might have been a well rehearsed routine for him.

Also, Clint describes Holly's abductor as "being approximately 5`10 and 200 pounds." and

Compare that statement to the above video for Samantha and I think you could say the same things about her until she managed to break free for a few seconds.

I'm guessing digndoodle has already spied all this and brought it out months ago but I was too dense to realize what she was saying....:blushing:

Just for clarification: I fully realize that IK was (officially per the FBI) no where near TN on April 13, 2011 and that more than one person could be using similar methods....but I had to point this out.

Thanx for sharing, Lucky1. The websleuths Holly Bobo discussion thread has been locked down for months. Only the media link thread is open and the TN MS Media seems to have ran out of ink. Friday 10/11/2013, is/would have been Holly Bobo's 23rd Birthday..

L1, the first rule of prey for a predator is to gain compliance of their innocent and unsuspecting victim. Imo, this would be one of the many indicators of an experienced predator that abducted Holly Bobo. Although IK; an experienced predator, has identical traits of the person that took HB, imo.
Imo, IK was not her abductor. HB's abductor was Donnie Frank Jones Jr; confessed killer of TN nursing student Megan Sharpton, imo.

Compared to this:
Surveillance video Samantha Koenig kidnapping - YouTube

Lucky1.....Great work on the above findings....I did not know they saw Holly and unknown person kneeling down.....but FBI may not have him linked there as of April 13, 2011.....but hummmmm....He did pass by E. Tennessee in 2010 as recently posted on the FB page for I.Keyes......and as we all know by now, Keyes travels 1st, plants a cache and usually returns to do his dirty work...My personal opinion only...I have always felt the Bobo's were going to be the target for a home invasion because it was all over the news stations here and the home is very remote and I just feel when the perp. got to the house he was surprised by Holly being in the carport and I feel she was about to get into her car when this man walked upon her...so shall we say it was a home invasion gone crazy???...but that is only moo of course, but at one time I know they had talked about LE also thought this house had been targeted for a home invasion

SORRY, I went back and re-read the date a person posted on FB page and I posted the wrong year above, someone posted that they met him while on his trip through E. Tennessee in 2008...Not 2010!!!!:blushing:

Prolly unrelated, but since IK studied other serial killers. Would IK, have also studied those responsible for bringing serial killers to Justice?
Just thought this an interesting coincidence/parallel: World renowned crime author, and homicide investigation expert Vernon J. Geberth, who consulted in Pastor Carol Daniels' horrific murder, is the author of "the Bible" of homicide investigations", used by investigators across the USA..

Curriculum Vitae: Vernon J. Geberth
http://www.practicalhomicide.com/AboutPHI/cv.htm#editor

Crime Expert Analyzes Clues From Anadarko Pastor's Murder
http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11009040

Daniels Alaskan Peace Officer’s Association (A.P.O.A.) 50th Annual 2011 Crime Conference, Anchorage, Alaska
May 16 - 20, 2011
Child Death Investigation Workshop Monday, May 16, 2011 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM. Workshop Chair: Dr. Michael Illiescu, MD
Conducted a Three-Day Advanced Practical Homicide Investigation® for attendees May 17-20, 2011
http://www.practicalhomicide.com/AboutPHI/cv.htm#editor
IK, revealed to investigators prior to the Currier Murders(VT-06/08/2011) that he had considered taking victims to a church, where he would either simply leave the body to be found, or to burn the church down with the victim's body in it. IK, drove around in Vermont, looking for suitable churches in small towns. He had issues with organized religion. IK was forensically aware; used drano to speed up the decomposition of remains, removed victim's clothing, and would likely use bleach on the bodies for destroying DNA.

6/5 -8, 2011: Essex, VT
Arrived on 6/5/2011 and checked into the Handy Suites motel for a three day stay.

June 8, 2011: Keyes flew from Anchorage to Chicago on June 2, 2011. He rented a car and drove to Essex, Vermont. On June 8, 2011, Keyes admitted to the abduction and murder of Bill and Lorraine Currier. Keyes disposed of a weapon stolen from the Currier home and the gun he used to shoot Bill Currier in Blakes River Falls Reservoir. These weapons and a nearby cache were recovered by the FBI. Following the murder, Keyes traveled around the east coast before driving back to Chicago. On June 15, 2011, Keyes flew from Chicago to San Francisco, only staying one night, returning to Anchorage on June 16, 2011.

6/8/2011: Killed Bill and Lorraine Currier
32 Upper Main St, Essex VT 2011

betw. 6/8 - 15, 2011: Maine
After killing the Curriers in VT on 6/8/2011, he visited his parents in Maine.

Last line BBM above ~ So, his parents (plural) were in Maine in 2011?

http://israelkeyes.blogspot.com/

"In the 1990s the Keyes family move to to Smyrna, Maine and become involved in the maple syrup business."

IK helps build a cabin for his sister in Houlton, Maine.

"On the thirteenth of November 2002, John Keyes passes away."
"Israel travels to the funeral."

Noticed this line in the blog too, "His grandfather gifts him a .38 revolver when he is fourteen, ..."
(thinking about the .38 found near the bar in the pastor's case)

The author of the IK blog inquires if anybody has an obituary covering the death of John Keyes.
When I read that IK visited his parents in Maine in 2011, I thought 'huh?'.

Also, toward the end of IK's freedom, his sister got married in Wells, Texas in March 2012, I believe. In an article where a Pastor Gardner spoke out, he mentions that four of IK's sisters and his mother live in Texas and attend his church.
I'm curious about the claim that IK visited his parents in Maine in mid 2011.

He visited his *brothers* in Maine. His father was dead. His mother lived I believe in Illinois then, shortly to move to Texas with her religious sect.

Foxfire are you saying that you don't feel IK would place a victim in a crucifix position??.....I have to disagree here if so, If he entered that church and she began to witness to him, I can see he would have flew into a mad raged fit similar to the one at his sister's wedding in Well's Texas...they finally just dismissed the wedding and went outside to the reception...that sounds like Keyes threw a rage fit to me inside the church
If this was IK, I'm sure the Pastor tried to defend herself from this monster, therefore making the killer make various wounds and different places on the body, I think she knew she had surely met the devil face to face and that would have been the angel of death for sure
Don't you think if he did this crime, he was following media coverage and that might be why he told authorities he had thought about taking the Curriers to an abandoned church, but he could not find one in Essex that fit his MO, then went on to talk about that was in his future plannings, killing in the church, either burning it down or leaving the victims body to let the members come in and find it.....and then he Laughed as he always does...YUK

Just a quick question…In the murders we know about, IK was very cautious about hiding the bodies. Even with Sam he very methodically disposed of her. Am I missing something to see why IK could be a suspect in this case other than his dislike of the church, etc. Thanks!

Just a quick question…In the murders we know about, IK was very cautious about hiding the bodies. Even with Sam he very methodically disposed of her. Am I missing something to see why IK could be a suspect in this case other than his dislike of the church, etc. Thanks!

LucyOso, imo, IK was an Emulator; Hybrid serial killer; similar to a copycat, but a copier of many with, twists of his own thrown in. Imo, if IK was responsible for Pastor Carol Daniels murder. He would have been sending a very pronounced statement by posing her body in the crucifix position at the altar of her Church.
IK had fantasized about using a church in one of his future abductions.. It just fits....imo.

I think the Texas Victim could possibly be James "Jimmy" Tidwell.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/po...cle_ec04e21d-adb6-54c2-ab75-700ef96a6d80.html

They said he has been missing since 2/16/12 but I don't think that date is 100% it's just that the last day he worked was 2/15/12.

It fit's GGE timeline

February 6 - 11, 2012: Carnival Cruise Lines trip - round trip from New Orleans, Louisiana.

February 16, 2012: National Bank of Texas robbery - Azle, Texas.

February 1, 2012: Keyes admitted to the abduction and murder of Samantha Koenig in Anchorage, Alaska. He disposed of her body in Matanuska Lake near Palmer, Alaska.

February 2, 2012 to February 18, 2012: Keyes flew to New Orleans where he went on a cruise until February 11th. After the cruise, he drove from New Orleans to Texas. Although he denied it, investigators believe Keyes may be responsible for a homicide in Texas or a surrounding state during this time.

On February 12, 2012, Keyes rented a blue 2011 Kia Soul from a Houston car rental agency and had the vehicle until February 18, 2012. Rental records show 2,847 miles were logged in that time period. In addition to Keyes’ time in Houston, investigators suspect he spent a large part of his time in the Dallas area, where his family lived.

Dallas/Fort Worth area - During February 2012, Keyes admitted traveling through the cities of Azle, Aledo, and Cleburne, Texas. Investigators suspect Keyes’ rental vehicle became stuck in a muddy, rural area, possibly near Cleburne, Texas, between February 12 and 16, 2012.

Glen Rose, Texas Area - Keyes is also suspected of visiting the Post Oak Cemetery in the Glen Rose, Texas area between February 12 and 16, 2012.

I always thought the fire was served to be a diversion for the bank he robbed soon after. But, it does make you wonder if he intended to abduct someone beforehand and became enraged when he found no one home and decided to just burn the place down.

It is so hard to know who to post about and who not to post about when it comes to potential Israel Keyes. It feels like you can find something that could suggest Keyes' possible involvement in almost any missing persons case.. But I noticed no one had posted here about Mark Julian Oldbury Jr. and I feel it is worth bringing up his disappearance. User jexpar discusses Keyes in the thread they created for Mark here but I thought maybe it was worth bringing his case up in the Keyes sub forum. I can also never remember everyone whose case has been covered in the excellent True Crime BS podcast so I really hope I'm not just laying out the details of this case that have been brought up in some old episode of that, lol :oops:

Mark Julian Oldbury Jr. was last seen on the 2nd of February, 2012. His uncle dropped him off at Mansfield Ferry Rd in Vidor Texas, to go fishing at the canal. He intended to camp by himself in the area and has never been seen again. As you can see from the info user ChatteringBirds has put in his websleuths thread from his profile on The Charley Project, Mark was a substance user with mental health issues. He had been released from a mental health facility/hospital on the 31st of January, after being taken there by police on the 27th of January for a mental health evaluation. It seems like he was in police custody for three days before they took him for that evaluation, after being arrested for public intoxication, but it is also possible that arrest and detention occurred earlier in January (mid January is what his TCP profile says). There is an article here which explains that his mother disagreed with the hospital's decision to release him. He was deemed well enough to be released into his uncle's care, or maybe not his care but with the understanding Mark did have somewhere to stay, specifically at his uncle's house. Several days later his uncle drops him off out at Mansfield Ferry Rd because he wants to go fishing and camping. It is not clear to me how long he intended to camp in the area. He was never seen again and his family held a memorial service for him and had him declared legally deceased a year later.

On the 2nd of February 2012, Keyes and his partner K** flew to Houston, Texas from Anchorage. According to the FBI timeline and interviews with Keyes family members, they rented a car in Houston to drive to New Orleans, where they took a five day cruise to Mexico. They departed for their cruise on the 6th of February. According to trusty ole internet maps, the drive between Houston and New Orleans takes about five and a half hours. However, they did not go directly to New Orleans. Going by the FBI timeline, Israel and K** spent the evenings of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in Lafayette, Louisiana at America's Best Value Inn. The drive between the Best Value Inn and Mansfield Ferry Rd is 132 miles and would take 2 hours according to g maps. On the 5th, they travelled to New Orleans where they spent the evening in a hotel before departing on their cruise on the 6th. Or, at least that is what it looks like from the FBI timeline etc.

According to an interview in the FBI files, hen they returned from their cruise K** went on a road trip with a friend of hers. Perhaps she spent time with that friend in Lafayette and that was why they were there. I am not sure. Someone else might remember better than I do whether Keyes or K had connections to Lafayette or if their reason for staying there for a few nights was ever brought up. I don't know if it matters, necessarily. I think Keyes disappearing for two days when his car was "stuck in the mud" a fortnight later in Cleburne, Texas shows that he is willing to leave wherever he is at, if he really wants to. If K** was with the same friend, he may not have even needed to explain his absence.

As jexpar notes, the drive from Houston to Lafayette goes directly through Vidor, via the I-10. From the I-10, as you are about to enter Vidor, you can see a boat launch. In fact, it is called "I-10 Boat Launch" on google maps, so if you googled I-10 boat launch, it would probably be one of the first results. Here is how it looked from the I-10 on street view in June of 2011. Depending on how you measure it, the area that Mark Oldbury disappeared from is about 3.15 miles, as the crow flies, from that boat launch. If you follow the river around until you get to some railroad tracks, and follow those (they run parallel to some kind of canal too, I think) you hit the canal that I am assuming Mark Oldbury went fishing on or near in about 3.75 miles. Follow that canal for 3/4 of a mile and you hit this spot on Old Spanish Trail. It is a quarter mile walk in a straight line to Mansfield Ferry Rd from there.

Interesting Keyes-wincidence is that if you take that route you pass a cemetery. I don't think it would be visible from the highway or the train tracks. Here is what it looked like looking at the cemetery from a small road next to it in December of 2011 and here is looking the other direction, at the train tracks. Another coincidence, maybe—the trees in this image I think are fallen because Vidor and the surrounding area were badly damaged by hurricane Rita in 2005 and hurricane Ike in 2008.

The I-10 boat launch is on the Neches River, which forms part of the boundary between Jefferson County and Orange County, Texas. Vidor is in Orange County, which borders Louisiana. In addition to the Neches River and the canal its tributaries/canals, a lot of the more general surrounding area seems to be excellent for hunting or fishing, with the Big Thicket, Lower Neches Wildlife Management Area, and Sabine Lake nearby. Sabine Lake sits on the border of Louisiana and Texas.

What I find most troubling in Mark's case is information related to the search efforts for him. I believe Mark was reported missing on Wednesday the 15th of February. Sheriffs searched 500 acres of land and water by foot, four wheeler, air boat, and helicopter. They brought in Texas Equusearch and used a drone to take HD aerial photographs. They did not find him but they know he was at the camping area because they found his backpack, shoes, wallet, and fishing pole. I find the Sheriff's comment about how they found his clothing very unnerving, though. The first article I linked states that "Hogan said Oldbury must have stripped while he was walking because officers found clothing scattered across the area."

Well. What does any of this mean? I haven't a clue. Nothing? Something? It all makes me think it is worth discussing Mark's case is about all I can say. I know he used substances and had mental health issues. I also know that people with severe mental illness are more likely to be victims of violent crimes and that when they're missing, they deserve to be found and brought home, whatever has happened to them. If we play the odds game and tell ourselves that the odds are that they're missing because of something related to their mental health issue then we risk never finding them because we risk failing to explore all the possibilities for where they are. Violent crime can happen to anyone. Especially when the person committing it is Israel Keyes.

I was listening to the preview for the upcoming TCBS season, and in it there was a reference to someone with an exact disappearance date match to Alexis Patterson (NAMUS44).

I did a quick search and this HAS to be in reference to James Perryman.
James Lewis Perryman – The Charley Project

Did he come up in the triangle episodes late last season? I don’t remember it if it did, but maybe.

In any case, I don’t know how I never connected this case (and as far as I can tell it never has come up on these threads either), the circumstances are textbook.

I don’t know if I’ve ever looked at a potential Keyes case and gone immediately to a 90% probability, aside from maybe Del Sample, but I’m feeling that here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back