FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

Totally agree, a girl who used to call me the abusive name in elementary school that was chosen for me because she thought it was "cute" to do that, tried more than once in the last couple of years to friend me on Facebook. As if I would ever forgive/forget that!!!!!
I needed to clarify something- it started in elementary school, but this girl continued to call me this name into Jr. High and High School!!!

Well, give us some way to find them, now that you've mentioned them and aroused our curiosity...

Okay...is it okay to link that. It's a memorial page...so no one's personal FB page.

Okay...is it okay to link that. It's a memorial page...so no one's personal FB page.

Here is the link...but, please be cautious before you read it. I wish that I hadn't. It is not a detailed autopsy report or anything like that, thankfully. I would not want to read that anyway. It affected me just reading what I read...so just letting you know. I think that the family posted it for the impact to the community on how bullying/torment/harassment affects people. So that people can really see the full scope of it all. JMO...either way it is devastating.

https://www.facebook.com/RIPBeccaAnn

Here is the link...but, please be cautious before you read it. I wish that I hadn't. It is not a detailed autopsy report or anything like that, thankfully. I would not want to read that anyway. It affected me just reading what I read...so just letting you know. I think that the family posted it for the impact to the community on how bullying/torment/harassment affects people. So that people can really see the full scope of it all. JMO...either way it is devastating.

https://www.facebook.com/RIPBeccaAnn

I couldn't find any reference to the autopsy on that page, just syrupy memes and appeals for donations to "Rebecca Sedwick's Stand Against Bullying. " Maybe it's because I'm on my phone.

It is amazing how far people will go in order to justify abuse of children.

I have never made any such argument that you insinuate I made.

When the young Phoebe Prince set up a "Paki *advertiser censored*" page filled with abuse, her victim indeed had no escape. She had no power to delete the abuse or to prevent others from reading it.

If someone had placed the picture of Rebecca on a forum along with pictures of mass killers and other monsters and started a "discussion" about how she is just like them both on the outside and the inside, then again Rebecca would have no escape from such extremely callous abuse.

When someone sends you a mean message on Facebook then yes you have the power to delete and block the user.

It is a simple fact that makes travesty of the frequent assertion that Rebecca killed herself BECAUSE had no escape from such messages. That is just factually false.

On the other hand, Rebecca truly had NO escape from the parents she said she feared and the abuse and beatings she complained about -- any pretense this is no worse than getting a mean message on Facebook is preposterous.

My point was to contrast the false arguments with the actual realities of Rebecca's life.

And again, there is NO evidence anything Katelyn ever did had ANYTHING to do with Rebecca's suicide.

In fact there is NO evidence her death had anything to do with bullying at all.

NONE.

ZERO.

And again there is NO evidence Katelyn sent any of those messages constantly repeated as supposedly having driven Rebecca to suicide.

Interesting though how the callous abuse here is concentrated on the youngest child and nothing even close to it on the parents who, according to the sheriff himself, were partly responsible for Rebecca's death -- you know the parents Rebecca said she fears and who say she never ever told them about being suicidal, despite evidence she was suicidal long before any alleged bullying took place.

But hey, child abusers will ALWAYS find excuses. They are driven by a need to inflict harm on a defenseless child and there is probably no cure for them.

1) You keep saying this. Deleting a message from your page doesn't delete it from your mind. Why do you offer it up as a solution? Perhaps Rebecca thought if others saw how terrible the girls were behaving, they would take her side. I would have. Even as a child, I stood up for the "underdog". Or perhaps she hoped an adult would see and intervene. Allowing the messages to stay at least gave hope someone would see and help. Deleting them would serve no purpose but to leave her completely alone.

2) The child admitted in a typed chat referenced earlier in this thread that she bullied Rebecca, both in person and online. Since Rebecca can't be interviewed and asked which messages specifically "drove her to suicide", you can't really say that, can you? I mean, you can, of course, but since you are the fact stickler in this thread, well. You see where I am going...

I wonder what's happening with the girl's who were arrested? Is DCF involved with them? Especially the one who's mom was also arrested?

I also wonder if FB allowed them to keep their accounts?

I would bet if they still have accounts, on any Social Media, that they are being monitored closely by LE.

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

I wonder what's happening with the girl's who were arrested? Is DCF involved with them? Especially the one who's mom was also arrested?

I also wonder if FB allowed them to keep their accounts?

I would bet if they still have accounts, on any Social Media, that they are being monitored closely by LE.

Bumping my own post, cause I'm really curious...

Sounds like they got a clean get away. Just watched the interview with Katelyn and her mom on The 11th hour...other than to look like innocent bystanders I really don't know what the point of the interview was - they looked totally unprepared and had to be prodded to answer questions ...certainly didn't sound very educated or confident. While I don't think this particular girl will be bullying anytime soon again, I still don't buy her story. Becca didn't kill herself over made up accusations of bullying. Guadalupe should have atleast gotten charged with SOMETHING. No justice.

ETA: watching these "doctors" on tv victim blame is sickening. i guess no one is going to take any kind of responsibility for harassing this poor girl.

Sounds like they got a clean get away. Just watched the interview with Katelyn and her mom on The 11th hour...other than to look like innocent bystanders I really don't know what the point of the interview was - they looked totally unprepared and had to be prodded to answer questions ...certainly didn't sound very educated or confident. While I don't think this particular girl will be bullying anytime soon again, I still don't buy her story. Becca didn't kill herself over made up accusations of bullying. Guadalupe should have atleast gotten charged with SOMETHING. No justice.

ETA: watching these "doctors" on tv victim blame is sickening. i guess no one is going to take any kind of responsibility for harassing this poor girl.

There is NO evidence either girl had ANY contact with Rebecca for SEVEN MONTHS prior to her suicide.

There is NO evidence that Rebecca's decision to kill herself had ANYTHING to do with bullying at all, be it at school SEVEN MONTHS prior to her death or be it the cruel messages on Ask dot fm and Kik in the month or two prior to her death.

There IS evidence Rebecca was in a distressing home situation from which she had NO ESCAPE. There is also apparently evidence that some "guy" was sending her hurtful messages a month before her death.

What is the point of publicly blaming a preteen child for someone's death on the basis that she was mean more than seven months prior to that person's death?

Is the goal to drive the child to suicide? There is hardly a more effective way of doing so for you than helping to make sure she will be treated as a killer at best, murderer at worst, fort the rest of her life by the public.

Few murderers and rapists have been publicly shamed so callously on such a massive scale as this child. I have seen almost no one show at leastv as much concern for this child they would show a stray dog. Obviously it makes no difference to many if she ends up killing herself.

1) You keep saying this. Deleting a message from your page doesn't delete it from your mind. Why do you offer it up as a solution? Perhaps Rebecca thought if others saw how terrible the girls were behaving, they would take her side. I would have. Even as a child, I stood up for the "underdog". Or perhaps she hoped an adult would see and intervene. Allowing the messages to stay at least gave hope someone would see and help. Deleting them would serve no purpose but to leave her completely alone.

2) The child admitted in a typed chat referenced earlier in this thread that she bullied Rebecca, both in person and online. Since Rebecca can't be interviewed and asked which messages specifically "drove her to suicide", you can't really say that, can you? I mean, you can, of course, but since you are the fact stickler in this thread, well. You see where I am going...

I have answered this repeatedly and yet my reply keeps on disappearing.
And yet I have no message in my mailbox indicating any admin action, nor was there anything justifying such an action in my replies.

I have answered this repeatedly and yet my reply keeps on disappearing.
And yet I have no message in my mailbox indicating any admin action, nor was there anything justifying such an action in my replies.

The mods rarely send a message when they delete a post, but they are the only ones who can remove a post besides the original poster. If you had a post removed more than once, it's highly likely something in the post went against websleuths terms of service. You can send a private message to a mod with any questions, but it's not generally acceptable to discuss moderation choices in the threads. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

1) You keep saying this. Deleting a message from your page doesn't delete it from your mind. Why do you offer it up as a solution?

I never offered a "solution" to deleting a message from anyone's mind -- I simply stated the FACT that some situations offer options not available in other situations, and that pretending otherwise is a lie.

I strongly object to your straw argument based on falsely assigning a bogus assertion to me.

1) Perhaps Rebecca thought if others saw how terrible the girls were behaving, they would take her side. I would have. Even as a child, I stood up for the "underdog". Or perhaps she hoped an adult would see and intervene. Allowing the messages to stay at least gave hope someone would see and help. Deleting them would serve no purpose but to leave her completely alone.

Perhaps the "girls" had NOTHING to so with the messages in question, given that FOUR MONTHS after the investigation started, not ONE example of any hateful message by either girl was provided.

Also, perhaps NO message any "girl" sent Rebecca was any worse than what Rebecca sent to other girls on Facebook.

BTW, to this day, no witness ever accused Katelyn of ever telling anyone to kill herself or anything similar.

And to this day, no evidence was produced that either girl had ANY contact with Rebecca for more than SEVEN MONTHS prior to her death.

In the real world, one would expect a preteen child to go to her parents IF she felt she is being harassed online so badly and relentlessly she is considering suicide. Not going to parents indicates A) abusive family, or B) the suicide had NOTHING to do with online harassment.

And guess what: we already have evidence her parents were abusive, and we have NO evidence her suicide had ANYTHING to do with online harassment.

Rebecca's repeated complaints to DCF and cops that she FEARS her parents, as well as her Instagram post in May asking "If I went missing, would anybody care?", as well as her continuing to live in a "disturbing" home environment (per sheriff Judd) despite DCF (evidently failed) involvement, are all compatible with the FACT that NO evidence exists that Rebecca's death had ANYTHING to do with the two young children Guadalupe and Katelyn, with the FACT that she left no "good bye" note to her family despite meticulously planning her suicide and sending good bye notes to friends.

Truth is there are problems, such as family abuse, that end up leaving a young child with truly NO ESCAPE -- especially when neither DCF nor cops do their job.

And yet you speculate wildly in order to publicly blame two young children for Rebecca's death.

What is your intent?

Do you hope to contribute to the children being driven to suicide by helping to ensure the public treats them forever as killers at best, murderers at worse?

If that is your intent, you are well on your way to succeed, as there are many like you and this mob hatred of two young children can indeed have a deadly effect.

The mods rarely send a message when they delete a post, but they are the only ones who can remove a post besides the original poster. If you had a post removed more than once, it's highly likely something in the post went against websleuths terms of service. You can send a private message to a mod with any questions, but it's not generally acceptable to discuss moderation choices in the threads. Hope that helps.

you are right, not only is it general unacceptable, discussing moderation in threads is a violation of Terms of Service.

Baiting /Trolling / Inciting Conflict:

“Trolling” or making posts with the intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. This includes registering an alternative ID for the sole purpose of creating problems on the forums. “Troll ID’s” will be locked immediately and permanently, and the primary account holder may be banned from WS. Members that visit WS only to participate in “conflict” threads may be designated as Trolling and have their account temporarily or permanently suspended. WS also reserves the right to require a certain number of posts, length of membership, or other criteria be met to allow posting on certain topics. We have zero tolerance for members that create posts with the sole purpose of antagonizing other members.

Attacking WS Moderators & Administrators:

Posting a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function, or email, staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the “Dos” and “Don’ts” of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

Do be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

Do not be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

SNIP

Deleting Posts and Closing Threads:

WS Administration has the right to close or remove any post or thread we deem inappropriate. The decision to close or delete a post/thread is solely ours. We have a strict policy of keeping the posts in this community constructive. Posts that create an unnecessary amount of conflict and serve no further purpose may be closed at the moderator’s discretion.

Further, it is the policy of this community NOT to delete posts unless the information in a post may put someone in jeopardy. It is the member's responsibility to think of the potential consequences of the post they are about to make prior to doing so. This is the Internet and anyone in the world can read what you post on WS - it is the member's responsibility to be careful regarding what personal/identifying/etc. information they post on WS. Removing a post will often destroy readability of the thread by making it unreadable. Deleting the first post in a thread will cause the deletion of the entire thread. Members do not appreciate spending their time responding to posts only to have the post they make disappear, so we make it a point not to delete posts just because people change their mind after making a post. The process of removing posts from the board and reviewing threads that need post(s) deleted is also extremely time consuming for staff members and removing even a few posts takes a great deal of time and effort. For that reason also, it is the policy of this community not to delete posts except in very extreme, emergency circumstances. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798

a refresher.

Thanks for letting me use yours as a jumping off point for pointing members back to the rules link - I took the time to refresh my recollection on all the TOS. It had been a while since I had read them.

you are right, not only is it general unacceptable, discussing moderation in threads is a violation of Terms of Service.

a refresher.

Thanks for letting me use yours as a jumping off point for pointing members back to the rules link - I took the time to refresh my recollection on all the TOS. It had been a while since I had read them.

Thanks :) I'm on my phone and didn't have time nor energy to grab the links let alone bring in a quote! Rock on :)

I couldn't find any reference to the autopsy on that page, just syrupy memes and appeals for donations to "Rebecca Sedwick's Stand Against Bullying. " Maybe it's because I'm on my phone.

I'm just now seeing this for some reason I miss updates on my laptop but when I'm on Tapatalk I get them. It was so long ago it will be difficult to go back and find, but it was there on the left side of the page. It wasn't the link to an autopsy it was a reference to it (from family) regarding what the family had found out that day about how Rebecca had died, how long it took, and so on....

And what about the many HUNDREDS of incredibly hurtful posting on the Internet, including here, by adults, saying the worst things imaginable about a preteen child?

So when a young child sends a message to her classmate saying "nobody likes you" she is a criminal and must be held accountable.

But when hundreds call a preteen child, whose name, picture, and home address has been released, a murderous monsters, an ugly cu*t, a worthless piece of thrash, a human garbage deserving death, when hundreds publicly encourage bullying and ostracizing the child in the future, when they say it would be good if she kills herself, when they incite killing and raping the preteen child... that is WHAT?

When tabloids "out" the preteen child's confession of having been molested while protecting the identity of the alleged molester, that is WHAT?

And, most importantly, when nearly all the reporters and columnists and public officials including Judd PRETEND as if none of this is happening or that none of this matters in any way, that is WHAT?

Snip my post at will and feel free to comment. That's what we do here. But please don't misrepresent what I stated in the entirety of my post.

Someone can certainly be held accountable for their actions and not be guilty of any criminal wrongdoing. I clearly stated I did not believe these girls were guilty of murder.

No doubt there have been horrible comments made against these 2 girls. In no way do I condone that behavior. Those responsible for spewing such hateful messages are also responsible for their words & actions. If criminal acts are committed, they should be handled according to the letter of the law by the proper authorities.

Finally, it is my opinion Rebecca's home life & untreated depression played the greatest role in this tragedy. The bullying seems to have been the final straw for her ... IMO. It also appears these other girls involved have their own issues which have gone ignored for too long. My greatest hope is they will now receive the help they need and not be added to another list of tragic statistics in the future.

MOO... MOO .... MOO

Snip my post at will and feel free to comment. That's what we do here. But please don't misrepresent what I stated in the entirety of my post.

Someone can certainly be held accountable for their actions and not be guilty of any criminal wrongdoing. I clearly stated I did not believe these girls were guilty of murder.

No doubt there have been horrible comments made against these 2 girls. In no way do I condone that behavior. Those responsible for spewing such hateful messages are also responsible for their words & actions. If criminal acts are committed, they should be handled according to the letter of the law by the proper authorities.

Finally, it is my opinion Rebecca's home life & untreated depression played the greatest role in this tragedy. The bullying seems to have been the final straw for her ... IMO. It also appears these other girls involved have their own issues which have gone ignored for too long. My greatest hope is they will now receive the help they need and not be added to another list of tragic statistics in the future.

MOO... MOO .... MOO

Well, if what she says is correct and the bullying took place 7 months before the suicide, then obviously it had very little to do with the suicide. So I do not think it can be described as the "final straw". There would be something else, and that something else would likely be closer to home, which is something most people would find difficult to accept. It is always easier to point the finger elsewhere when trying to find a reason or blame.

It is curious though why the big emphasis on bullying by all concerned if that was the case. It seems to me the reason why these two girls were singled out then had more to do with an insensitive comment by one of them after the fact, rather than what had happened before. The sheriff made a big deal about (IMO, because bullying has a high profile politically at the moment) initially, but then the case was dropped. When this case first made the news it struck me that his behaviour was hugely inappropriate under the circumstances, and I wondered why. If he was in this to make political capital out of it, the only reason to drop it would be lack of evidence, so I am guessing that is the reason. It would have looked really bad to take it to court only to find out that he had been making a mountain out of a molehill and had put a couple of kids through hell in the process. It would be good for a politician in the current climate to go into the next election as a crusader against the bully, not nearly as good if it turned out that you were one as well.

Apparently I have been reading something entirely different...I'm not convinced the bullying stopped in February...per the mother it had not and as evidenced by posts after her death...it seems the feuding had not cone to an end. Also, Grady Judd has ALWAYS had this same passion...since I have been here in Lakeland...and he has yet to run for anything more than Sheriff. He is passionate and makes it known...he turned down a reality tv show...I don't get why people don't see it as sending a serious message...we have lost a lot of young people in Polk County to suicide...bullying stems from the majority of them...but nothing like this. It wasn't the ONLY factor...but it was a factor...

I keep seeing updates on this thread but when I get here I don't see anything new...hmmm? Maybe due to posts I cannot see?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back