AL - Karen Shahan, 53, murdered, Homewood, 23 July 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow! I was just about to come and post a link. I just saw the news!!! Wow, wow, wow...

It's about time!!!

http://www.waff.com/story/24346664/homewood-pastor-arrested-while-trying-to-board-plane-to-germany

The Department of Homeland Security has arrested a pastor from Homewood who they say is wanted for homicide.

More information in article

Wow! I haven't caught up on all postings forward from the one above...

but... I had to jump in and say that I am impressed that LE was on this case the whole time... And that Karen may now receive justice!

So... The good pastor was trying to flee to Germany.....

and presser is today!

JMO

The Chief of Police of Homewood just held a press conference which was streamed live by Fox6 WBRC at foxalabamalive.com. Maybe they will have it available for viewing.

I did not see and hear the whole conference however I did take note of some of what he said:

In answer to a question asking if they know the motive? Yes, we have an idea.

Took some time to allow for processing of some physical evidence.

Interviewed dozens of people.

Richard's statements had inconsistencies. As they worked the case, many of the inconsistencies led back to him.

Because of his 'intent to leave the country' the DA determined it was time act upon everything they had. (Extradition from Germany would be difficult, extradition from Russia, virtually impossible)

Chief won't talk about details of what happened but said that how and why she was killed will become readily apparent as the case unfolds.

Thinks Shahan was totally surprised or shocked when he was pulled out of line at the airport and arrested.

I hope this guy gets the DP. Alabama is a death penalty state.

The Chief of Police of Homewood just held a press conference which was streamed live by Fox6 WBRC at foxalabamalive.com. Maybe they will have it available for viewing.

I did not see and hear the whole conference however I did take note of some of what he said:

In answer to a question asking if they know the motive? Yes, we have an idea.

Took some time to allow for processing of some physical evidence.

Interviewed dozens of people.

Richard's statements had inconsistencies. As they worked the case, many of the inconsistencies led back to him.

Because of his 'intent to leave the country' the DA determined it was time act upon everything they had. (Extradition from Germany would be difficult, extradition from Russia, virtually impossible)

Chief won't talk about details of what happened but said that how and why she was killed will become readily apparent as the case unfolds.

Thinks Shahan was totally surprised or shocked when he was pulled out of line at the airport and arrested.

Thanks for sharing the info. from the presser, i.b.nora! :seeya:

So the pastor seemed surprised that he was arrested....hmmmm....

I am curious as to the motive that will maybe be shared at trial?

JMO

Thanks for sharing the info. from the presser, i.b.nora! :seeya:

So the pastor seemed surprised that he was arrested....hmmmm....

I am curious as to the motive that will maybe be shared at trial?

JMO

IMO, the motive is his Russian translator.

Thanks you everyone for keeping this thread alive and for for the current information. I have been trying to follow along in lurk mode.

It amaze's me that people think they can get away with murder let alone a man of the cloth.

I will be following the trial, as would sure like to know his motive for killing such a beautiful women and mother of his children. smh

I wonder what his son's think of him?

IMO, the motive is his Russian translator.
I agree, of course and have thought that all along, however, and this is a big however, one of the questions asked of the Chief at the press conference was something along the lines of 'did he have a certain 'man friend' in Nashville?' The reporter asking the question, a woman, indicated that it was a rumor that has been going around on social media. I honestly don't remember how the Chief answered that question but he did make it abundantly clear a couple of times in the conference that their investigation tools also included reading things on social media.

He did not specify which social media. Since I have only followed the case by reading mainstream news articles, reading the church newsletter, and by reading here at Websleuths I don't have a clue about what others are saying or have said. I guess it remains to be seen.

Well, I am just absolutely gobsmacked!!!!! NOT. It's about time…...

GREAT NEWS to begin the new year. Things had been so quiet, I didn't know what to think. So glad they got him!!! RIP Karen!

I would love to see the look on his face. He figured once that plane was in the air he was home free. SHAME ON YOU MR PASTOR !

And after the court system has its final say, don't forget you've got an afterlife issue to deal with. ''Man of God'', sickening !

**waiting patiently for one of our great sleuthers to dig up the social media stuff**

I agree, of course and have thought that all along, however, and this is a big however, one of the questions asked of the Chief at the press conference was something along the lines of 'did he have a certain 'man friend' in Nashville?' The reporter asking the question, a woman, indicated that it was a rumor that has been going around on social media. I honestly don't remember how the Chief answered that question but he did make it abundantly clear a couple of times in the conference that their investigation tools also included reading things on social media.

He did not specify which social media. Since I have only followed the case by reading mainstream news articles, reading the church newsletter, and by reading here at Websleuths I don't have a clue about what others are saying or have said. I guess it remains to be seen.

IIRC,the police chief did not confirm nor did he deny the rumor about a certain "man friend who is a florist" and lives in Nashville. I thought he left it as seeming like that is, in fact, the reason he was in Nashville prior to attempting to leave the country. That was my impression although he didn't confirm it.

He did say that they (HPD) had been following all social media just like the people in the press and that they (HPD) too were aware of the rumors that were floating around.

I have heard rumors that there might be another man rather than another woman that was his motivation...but that's all it was...rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member