Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it's possible, I just hate when the news reports something that may or may not be true. (which has happened a few times in this case with local media) They may have found a body or parts of a body and are choosing to not release that information to the public. This case is super sensitive in this area and I believe the reason they aren't saying much is to keep this as "fair" of a trial as possible to avoid any attempts by the defense to use technicalities. I just wonder what changed from the time they indited him for abduction to now.

Once the trial starts will we hear details or does the gag order prevent that?

So very sad today. I think this has slashed my hopes of ever finding her alive.

I wish he would talk and finally let this family have some peace.

They can keep the gag order or lift it. I think the reason behind the gag order was to keep RAT and his attorney from knowing what was coming down the road for him, murder charges. I hope they lift it today. Cats out of the bag now.

I agree that it's possible, I just hate when the news reports something that may or may not be true. (which has happened a few times in this case with local media) They may have found a body or parts of a body and are choosing to not release that information to the public. This case is super sensitive in this area and I believe the reason they aren't saying much is to keep this as "fair" of a trial as possible to avoid any attempts by the defense to use technicalities. I just wonder what changed from the time they indited him for abduction to now.

One thing that has changed is they are getting back results on much of the evidence they have submitted. jmo

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 1h
I am told Randy Taylor will be appearing in person today for his court hearing. The Murphy family tells me they... http://fb.me/1M9X02Z1Y

Very similar to Sierra Lamar. Suspect in her case is being charged with murder, she has never been found.

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 4m
Randy Taylor just arrived at the courthouse and spoke to our cameras. Hear what he had to say tonight at 5.

Sooo terrible. What the hell did he do with her? Where is she? :(

I am so sad for the family. I imagine they have known this for some time. It was just a matter of time for them to get all of the evidence and paperwork in order, for the prosecution to present their case.

I thought the gag order was partially due to witness testimony, but I could be confusing this with other cases. I have been curious what if anything was seen or caught on camera.

Here are the virginia statutes, but I haven't seen the exact statutes that they are using yet.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-32

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-48

I am confused by the second statute I linked, but will have to wait and see what comes out.

Yes, that one statute is confusing me too. I'll wait.

As far as witnesses under the gag order here's what the orginal article says is gagged.

Judge Approves Gag Order for Randy Taylor Trial

•Randy Allen Taylor’s prior criminal record
•Character or reputation
•The existence of any confession or statement given by the accused
•Any potential evidence discovered during any investigation
•The results of any scientific or forensics test
•Property or items seized under a sealed search warrant
•The possibility of a plea agreement
•Any opinion as to the guilt or innocence of the accused

Commonwealth's Attorney Anthony Martin says, technically witnesses are not included, but he is advising his witnesses not to talk.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/24193001/judge-approves-gag-order-for-randy-taylor-trial

Anyone local know if there will be a livestream for the family's PC? Thanks from the out-of-staters! I really feel bad for her family and I hope that either way she will eventually be brought home.

Parker sometimes tweets @Parker8news, though for something like this he tends to just troll for viewers for the evening news show.

I'm remembering that fact from before. Thanks for reminding me. We'll see what he does come through with. Thanks carbuff!

From his court records his Murder 1 charge is considered a 2nd degree felony, up to 40 years. It has to be a capital murder for the DP from what I'm reading. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

18.2-32. First and second degree murder defined; punishment.

snipped

All murder other than capital murder and murder in the first degree is murder of the second degree and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional facility for not less than five nor more than forty years.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member