Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was born in 74 and has never forgotten what we taught him. :)

ETA. The hardest part was schooling him on wrinkles in the mans face. We hired one of hubby's LE partners (whom he didn't know, to help us). He got so good at describing facial features, understanding the process of wrinkles. I borrowed a book from my Dr. showing all the advancing ages of someone aging over time. This was a big help, and I have never quit thanking my Dr. for all of his resources. Hubby had a beard, and still does, and he would shave it at internals to show him how it would look as it was growing out. This worked for us, and I recommend ALL parents try these techniques. :) This was a very effective, fun and entertaining in family matters, that we ALL enjoyed.

I'm hoping and praying that this doesn't turn out like the Fred Coffee ordeal. He wouldn't talk and the fact that they are releasing the new RSO's name and photo as well as asking the public for tips about his past actions...this sounds like someone talked and it wasn't the RSO in question. :tantrum: The good news is that LE is saying that they can place him at the mall while the girls were there. They weren't able to do that with Coffee. PLEASE let this lead take us to the truth. :please:

If LE does in fact have pictures of the POI from 75, here's hoping Jeb returns and shares of that person is or is not the man he ran into back then and believes is TRM.

... In a statement provided by police, the Lyon family said they would be “grateful for any information the public can provide to help bring this story to its conclusion.”

“March 25th will mark 39 years since Kate and Sheila were taken from our family,” they said. “Throughout these years our hopes for a resolution of this mystery have been sustained by the support and efforts of countless members of law enforcement, the news media, and the community. The fact that so many people still care about this case means a great deal to us.”...

There is a photo of Kate and Sheila together at the below news link. Clicking on it will get you into Washington Post archives to read some of the 1975 articles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...5fb_story.html

All I can say is wow. Interesting to see the girls pictures in color in some of the articles and a different picture of the girls as well. This seems big. Oh how I hope this is it.

Fox News is reporting the name of the POI is Lloyd Lee Welch. He was a carnival ride operator. He is a convicted sex offender and in prison in Delaware.

It is gratifying to me that LE has never given up on this case.

Keeping my fingers crossed that something comes out of this! It's been awhile since there's been any news~

dumb, dumb, dumb question,,,,,

I followed this case years ago and today with news of a "person of interest" I am back although not as familiar with the case as I once was.

Quickly, I was 10-years-old in 1975. The only warning about strangers from my parents that I recall was "don't take candy from strangers" and looking back I believe I thought a) because it was poison, or b) because the stranger would take me away. At least from my point of view family wise, farming Indiana town wise, and it being 1975, the word "stranger" wasn't as scary to children back then as it is today. I tend to lean towards the "microphone man" as being the primary suspect in this case. Abductors (good ones - barf) are good at what they do. I truly believe this man had the perfect set up, he knew what questions to ask and gained needed personal information that ultimately led to these beautiful girls demise. I believe he waited for them in the back parking lot and because he wasn't a stranger to them any longer they went right to his vehicle.

So, with this being said, I wonder what question, what he said, to get them to go to his vehicle and thinking back, I remember a witness who said he heard him ask the girls about sports. I thought back about my childhood and remembered at 10-years-old in 1975 it was all about the skateboard. My friends and I would skateboard down the sidewalks night and day.

Wondering, is it possible this gentleman headed to Wards bought the girls skateboards (or something similar he learned they wanted or liked from their conversation) and waited with their gifts in the parking lot that he learned they would be in when exiting the mall.

so, here's the dumb, dumb, dumb question.... Did the police check store receipts/purchases from Wards in the 2+ hour timeframe from when the witnesses saw the man talking to the girls and the girls went missing? I know this is a longshot but maybe a credit card receipt from a felon, maybe a cashier remembered a lone man buying children gifts.

i wonder how they know that he was there at the time? 1975 was so long ago.

I am completely new to the thread so please bear with me. Is there a link to locations and dates for other sexual offenses against children? Did he and his girlfriend work together in these sexual offenses as they travelled with the carnival?

"Welch, who also went by the name of Michael Welch or Mike Welch, worked as a ride operator for a carnival company that set up their attractions in malls around the country, Manger said. His girlfriend also worked at the carnival company.

Welch has "multiple convictions for sex offenses against young girls," Manger said."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/11/justice/maryland-cold-case/

The possibility his girlfriend may have had some knowledge of his crimes is unstated but present, I think.

I can't find any info about a carnival being in Wheaton in 1975, but the Montgomery County Historical Society has a huge amount of archives and I guess they'll be likely to have that info, if it exists. There is no online access though, you have to go to the library.

There's a lot of people here who seem to recall Wheaton Plaza really well, from decades ago. Police should post an appeal on this site too, I think.

http://www.labelscar.com/maryland/westfield-wheaton-plaza

On the surface, knowing nothing about this case beyond hearing that two young girls were missing (something that was rarely reported until the 1970s ... by the sounds of it), it looks like Lloyd Lee Welsh, alias Michael Welsh and Mike Welsh, and his girlfriend, Helen Craver (deceased), travelled around the country, performing in malls, with the carnival and there are many girls what were sexually

"Back then, it was common for children to walk to places in the neighborhood without their parents. But when the girls disappeared, that feeling of safety was shattered, the Gazette wrote.

Welch has "multiple convictions for sex offenses against young girls," Manger said. nvestigators believe Welch may have been involved in other unsolved crimes around the country. He was also a drifter and sometimes stayed in homeless shelters, Manger said.

Montgomery County police have stopped short of calling him a suspect in the two sisters' disappearance."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/11/justice/maryland-cold-case/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member