CONVICTION OVERTURNED IL - Pravin Varughese, 19, Siu Student, Carbondale, 12 Feb 2014

A comment in the Facebook missing page states that the bloody knuckles were due to a window closing on them and that there was no known altercation.

I'll flag this myself to the mods as not sure if I'm ok to post this.

It's ok to paraphrase, just not copy and paste comments.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Here is his missing pg:

https://www.facebook.com/events/645353492197846/

A little bit of phone information from the event link:

Last phone call was at 12:30 a.m. on Thursday.
Phone went off/battery died at 1:00 a.m. on Thursday.

**REWARD OFFERED**

http://m.kfvs12.com/#!/newsDetail/24726949

On Thursday, the Carbondale Police Department responded to a report of a missing 19-year-old. Now, the family is offering a reward, according to police. Officers say Pravin M. Varughese, 19, was last seen in the 600 block of West College Street around 11 p.m. According to Carbondale police, Varughese's family is offering a reward of at least $5,000 for information leading to the recovery of the man. Anyone with information is asked to call the Carbondale Police Department or Southern Illinois University Department of Public Safety.

A reward of up to $1,000 may be given for information provided anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at (618) 549-COPS (2677).

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Search-for-Missing-SIU-Student-245705651.html?m=y&smobile=y

SIU Communications Officer Rae Goldsmith says, "This is a very rare occurence and our job is to be as supportive as we can to the family, because we actually view ourselves as a community and a family." Friends and family of Varughese went door to door in Carbondale Saturday to pass out missing posters. They're offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to his safe return.

I went to SIU. One night, someone tried to rob a student at knifepoint. I believe the victim wrestled away the knife and killed the robber. In any case, robberies happen at night when people walk alone. I was walking home with friends one night, and there was this sidewalk trail next to a creek bed. Some dude passed out in the creek bed. There was only six inches of water. He didn't get wet until we startled him, and he tried to stand and tripped. But it's possible that someone could drown in a creek bed like that one. I don't know if there's snow on the ground right now. But that would obviously show blood much better than bare ground or concrete.

This was on the Chicago news tonight. Apparently his last phone call to family ended with him fighting with someone on his end of the phone.

New to posting here but a follower for a while.

I went to SIU Carbondale for 2 years in 2008-2010.

The area where he was last scene is a residential area walking distance from campus. Those houses are usually all rented by students and a lot of them throw parties, some of them weekly like clockwork, charge admission and pay rent using that. There are a few dropouts/graduates/locals that still live around in the area but as I recall that specific area was mainly students and a few fraternity houses (I rushed two of them, both located right there in that area) on weekends at night usually this area is crawling with students walking around looking for parties and stuff, it's also very close to the "strip" which is the main road students hang out and travel on daily. Though being residential the houses are old and sometimes unkept, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them were vacant or had vacant sheds.

I used to work til 3 am and have to bike ride or walk back to the dorms, Every night and never saw anything I'd think would be concerning of the area.

SIU has a reputation of being a party school but in recent years the police and school really cracked down on things and to my experience it was rather mild compared to u of Illinois.

On the missing FB page it was stated in a comment his car was not used and has been searched? Have not seen that on a news article or anything. Also was it confirmed he was in a fight last time on the phone I heard he could have been running. Though that doesn't make things better.

Was he In a fraternity? Rushing any? Had he been one to venture out into the natural surroundings either himself or with friends? I'm a city boy so my friends and I stayed in town always rather then go out to the potentially hazardous or distant areas.

Another article re: a reward:

SIU student's family offers $15,000 reward in disappearance case
Associated Press 12:45 p.m. EST February 17, 2014

Snipped:

Authorities say Pravin Varughese has been missing since Wednesday night. His family says they are offering a $15,000 reward. His sister, Priya Varughese, says family members "just want him home." She says her brother, a cousin and a roommate were at a party the night he disappeared.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/loca...s-15000-reward-in-disappearance-case/5553683/

He is a very good looking young guy.

Unfortunately, the first thing I thought of when reading this story were the countless other missing young, good looking Mid-Western college guys who have gone missing, only to be found in a body of water later. Hopefully that is not the case here.

He is a very good looking young guy.

Unfortunately, the first thing I thought of when reading this story were the countless other missing young, good looking Mid-Western college guys who have gone missing, only to be found in a body of water later. Hopefully that is not the case here.

If he is near a body of water, he would have for sure have to had gotten a ride, the area he was last seen is all houses and usually flooded with students. I can't see him going far out of that area on foot or running. Someone would have seen him at some time.

Quick potentially unrelated Segway, As a 18 year old student in 2008 I heard a grocery store a couple miles away was hiring so I went to apply, it was winter and blizzarding, I took a local cab to the store but on the way back the cab was talking over an hour to come and I was standing in the snow an older man in a car pulled up and offered me a ride, I'm from the city and was taught to never get rides from strangers. Maybe it was just a nice citizen but just a thought I had.

Also when I was a student there people would take cabs and even pay pizza delivery men to drive them places, could he have gotten in a cab or delivery vehicle to aid in getting home because he felt a bit too tipsy or tired?

From the "missing Pravin Varghese" page on Facebook, I noticed that the sister posted last night that they stopped accepting donations. I'm wondering if that has any significance. Do they maybe know something? So sad. I live in Illinois and have a 20 year old at a college not too far from there. I can't bear the thought of what this poor family is going thru.

Per the Facebook page
"There's a pres conference at 2:00 at the Public safety center in Carbondale...details to come"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back