GUILTY Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax, NS, 13 February 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to WS - the screencap was posted about 2-3 pages back. I cannot remember which WS member posted it though so really not much help.

Have you been following the case from the beginning?

"Figuring" posted it?

Would this be similar to the AK case in your opinion?

I'm curious about that case and looking for similarities. There are significant differences in terms of education levels of the murdering couple. Canadian police could interrogate the suspects without a lawyer, Italians could only question witnesses without a lawyer. There are also similarities in terms of alleged jealousy between female murderer and victim, the murderers and victims were not well acquainted (that's often presented as an excuse - why would a couple murder someone they hardly know?), other than theft there doesn't really seem to be any apparent motive for murder, there's a similar "tough", entitled persona in the suspects ... still thinking about it. When we know how Loretta was murdered, that may reveal more similarities.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...uld-open-canada-s-eyes-native-group-1.2553267

"The slaying of Loretta Saunders should shake the misconceptions many Canadians have about missing aboriginal women, says the president of the Nova Scotia Native Women’s Association.

“I think what society believes is a typical woman at risk is somebody working in the sex-trade industry, on drugs, mental illness, those types of things. But the fact is our women are disappearing and they’re not typically in the sex trade,” Cheryl Maloney told CBC’s Maritime Noon.

Police found Saunders's body on the edge of a highway west of Salisbury, N.B., on Wednesday afternoon, almost a week after she disappeared. Police are treating the 26-year-old's death as a homicide.

“She’s smart, she's beautiful, she’s bright. Her community was the university community. Canadians should be alarmed overall,” said Maloney.

“We shouldn't be growing up in a country where we are at risk to be missing and murdered more than anyone else.”

World News People fell in love with Loretta Saunders - YouTube

//

There has been a lot of special interest groups trying to leverage this tragedy to vocalize and spearhead their respective agendas to the forefront of discussion.

I can sympathize with their causes and perceived marginalization. I think in my opinion to try to isolate one demographic trait about Loretta Saunders and apply this to the whole motive behind this tragedy undermines the true tragedy of both aboriginal missing women and any other woman for that matter.

This tragedy wasn't targeted due to the fact that LS was aboriginal. This tragedy in my opinion was opportunistic to the alleged suspects.

Furthermore, the argument that ; aboriginal women missing cases don't receive the recourses or priority non aboriginal women receives falls short in this case. It clearly demonstrates the exact opposite.

If the argument were true, as soon as investigators ,case managers , public etc... found out that she was aboriginal we would have the expectation that this case would fall through the cracks. This clearly wasn't the case.

I believe to present the mentality of " us against them " fosters and breeds mistrust against everyone and fails to identify some of the he root causes.

In order to address the tragedy of missing aboriginal women many things need to be investigated.

What puts any woman at an increased risk??

Identify those risks and implement a plan to remove those risks.

Hi gang,

I posted the screenshot yes, BUT it appears mods took it down, so I must have violated something so sorry mods!! :scared:

I'm not too clear why it's not allowed but I TOTALLY respect their decisions.

Cannot repost guys, sorry. If I can paraphrase VH was telling this guy via facebook that she hated LS, on Feb 9. You can visit her FB page for more updates. Appears the guy spoke w police sometime today.

New member lavitaebella only came on very, very briefly and asked the one question about the FB comments that VH was making about LS then disappeared. Maybe lavitaebella will come back on later on.

eleph

I'm curious about that case and looking for similarities. There are significant differences in terms of education levels of the murdering couple. Canadian police could interrogate the suspects without a lawyer, Italians could only question witnesses without a lawyer. There are also similarities in terms of alleged jealousy between female murderer and victim, the murderers and victims were not well acquainted (that's often presented as an excuse - why would a couple murder someone they hardly know?), other than theft there doesn't really seem to be any apparent motive for murder, there's a similar "tough", entitled persona in the suspects ... still thinking about it. When we know how Loretta was murdered, that may reveal more similarities.

Have been mulling about some similarities as well - agree with your analysis about likeness and the differences. The murder weapon of choice in Halifax often is a knife although it does have its share of murders by gunshot too.

Yes, we will have to wait until we know more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-as-accused-appears-in-court/article17183755/
bbm.
"Court documents show that Ms. Henneberry, who also calls herself Victoria Lea Galbraith, was charged in January, 2011, with uttering threats to “cause death or bodily harm” against another woman.

At the time she was living on Gottingen Street, the main street of a once run-down neighbourhood undergoing gradual gentrification. The court record document a year of appearances, adjournments and absences, which led to a warrant being issued for her arrest."

I remember it being around page 34 to 37 but i went through and couldn't find it.

I've been following the case from the start, though i 've only created an account today. I had really been hoping LS would be found safe given that the bank cards weren't used until a few days later, but i suppose VH and BL were probably figuring out how they were going to get away with it then.

thank you for the link, although the message i'm looking for looks like it's been deleted now, which isn't surprising i suppose. there was a screencap of it before though that i'm interested in finding

that would be great, thank you. I messaged "Figuring" but i don't think you can attach files through the private messaging option here

Thank you for the paraphrase, that's around the type of message i was expecting it to have been.

I hope that they don't just let this case fall into another one of the "poor girl was dragged into it by her controlling boyfriend" results because that message seems to indicate that that was not the case at hand. I haven't seen any sort of indications so far that the male suspect had much interaction with the victim, so it seems like if either of the two suspects had a personal motive, it would have been VH. Her history of uttering threats and generally not getting along well with other women would also seem to support a trend like this. With the very limited information we have, it seems like VH would have been more likely to be the ringleader of the two and it would be awful if she got a reduced sentence just because she could play the manipulated partner card.

Thank you for the paraphrase, that's around the type of message i was expecting it to have been.

I hope that they don't just let this case fall into another one of the "poor girl was dragged into it by her controlling boyfriend" results because that message seems to indicate that that was not the case at hand. I haven't seen any sort of indications so far that the male suspect had much interaction with the victim, so it seems like if either of the two suspects had a personal motive, it would have been VH. Her history of uttering threats and generally not getting along well with other women would also seem to support a trend like this. With the very limited information we have, it seems like VH would have been more likely to be the ringleader of the two and it would be awful if she got a reduced sentence just because she could play the manipulated partner card.

BL has an outstanding warrant in Calgary for assault but we don't know the details about the charge - like was it against a woman/man or if a weapon was used, etc.

Since they are both charged with 1st degree I don't think we will see either of them getting off very lightly. If VH snivels her way to a reduced sentence I think I will vomit.

http://www.surreyleader.com/national/247972921.html

"Saunders's sister said she remained composed upon seeing Leggette in court by drawing strength from the memory of her older sister, an honours student at Saint Mary's University doing her thesis on missing and murdered aboriginal women.

"I've felt Loretta living inside of me, which sounds crazy but I feel her energy and I feel like her sometimes," Delilah Terriak, 21, said outside court. "I dealt with things the way she would have."

Other family members, some wearing purple shirts that said, "Stop Violence Against Aboriginal Women," said they were relieved Saunders's body was found and would be returned to her parents in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, N.L., following an autopsy in New Brunswick.

"Not very often are aboriginal people returned and she's being returned home," said Barbara Coffey, her aunt. "She's going home."

The screenshot can now be attached. As the media just covered that chat (cbc Vancover).
So there should be no need to remove the screenshot when its posted again

Oh I forgot to say

I would like to say R.I.P Loretta Saunders and I want to offer my condolences to the family and friends of loretta.

If convicted, they will be sentenced to 25 years without parole with double time for pre-trial incarceration. They'll be eligible for parole when they are in their late 40s.

Too early! They should be considered for parole when Loretta gets her chance at walking free and raising a family and living her life...until that happens, they should suffer for as long as her family and friends will be ~ always!!!

The screenshot can now be attached. As the media just covered that chat (cbc Vancover).
So there should be no need to remove the screenshot when its posted again

Do you have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members