Found Deceased ME - Prescott Wright, 23, & Zachary Wells, 21, Kennebunkport, 20 Dec 2012

I think you guys (who are suspicious there is some other suspicious sinister element to the story).. are forgetting the most obvious thing here... that alcohol causes people do make really, really, bad, stupid, decisions that don't make any sense to the rational mind. It doesn't matter how water or boat-savvy they may have been.

The article has been updated to say they were found by a dog walker.

Thanks for the updates, Summer Breeze...

I always hope the missing will be found alive....as we all do...

but it does sound like the remains belong to one, or both, of these young men...

and prayers to the families as they wait for identification...

someone will discover a loved one's remains soon...even if not belonging to these young men...

:praying:

At least one family will have some measure of closure. And I suppose it might cement for the other family what happened to their loved one. So sad.......

O/T: Hopefully the storm will also bring Elizabeth Marriott back to her family.

Since it's been so cold I'm hoping the bodies are well preserved and they can determine a cause of death.

A few new tidbits of info --
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Human-remains-found-on-Maine-island.html

"[Police Chief] Sanford said it is remarkable that the remains might have stayed near the shore, rather than washing out to sea.

They were found above the high-tide mark, suggesting they were deposited there during the storm, which generated 25- to 30-foot seas and caused flooding during high tide, Sanford said."

Does "remarkable" mean "unlikely" or perhaps "hinky" I wonder...

A Very thorough article -- if someone was new to this case this article would get them nicely up to speed -- http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130212-NEWS-302120379

in part -

"Wright and Wells were hanging out, drinking in a small group of people on Dec. 19. Eventually, some left and one resident of the house went to bed, sometime around midnight.

Wells, of Burlington Vt., lived at the Mills Road residence during the school year, and Wright, of Barnstable, Mass., lived on Port Road in Kennebunk during the school year. They were the last two left downstairs.

Sanford said another resident of the house, coming down to turn a radio off at 4 a.m., noticed both men were gone.

Sanford said no vehicles were missing from the residence, which is located on the marsh, and that both men may have been intoxicated when last seen."

just some slightly more detailed information above, IMHO.

Ok they found remains around 2/11/13. I don't see any updates. So no identification yet of the remains? I still can't fathom these young men leaving a warm home (even if they were intoxicated) in the middle of the night (with school the next day) to WALK to shore to jump on a kayak or boat (yet no boat is missing). Wouldn't they have had to WALK/CARRY the kayak with them?

So the remains were ID'd, yet the story was just left open-ended.. no one seems to have any idea how they ended up in the water or what happened. The media just left it as a dead end. Anyone have any theories? It seems while being drunk/high after partying all night, they got some crazy idea to go for a late night boat ride (with a storm approaching..? hhmm..)... they either saw a rowboat/ kayak that had gotten loose and ended up on shore, (or maybe they just took someone else's, and for some reason it was never reported stolen?) and took it out there on a whim, were goofing off, fell overboard, and that was it. Or they made it to an island, succumbed to the elements and (or, after) the boat drifted away. Or perhaps it hit a rock while landing & started sinking, then they tried to turn around. It's almost a bigger mystery what happened to the boat (if there even was a boat. But what's the alternative..? They both went for a late night swim in frigid water? Doubtful.). Perhaps some local kids or some old guy found the boat later on their shore and just thought 'oh cool, a stray boat' and never reported it.... or it washed up on some remote island & hasn't been found yet. Or perhaps it got damaged & sunk? And, did they ever determine a cause of death? (Drowning, one would presume.)
So strange. And a solid reminder of why booze, water, cold weather, and youthful fearlessness don't mix. R.I.P. guys...

I don't know anything about tides and currents and such, so I'm hoping someone who does have such knowledge can help me understand something. How often do two people who have drowned end up in the same spot together almost 2 months later? Does that mean they would have had to have died at the same moment and then ended up both floating around together for 2 months? It seems that one of them would have died first, then the other one would still be struggling around in the water for at least a little while longer before succumbing and they would have gotten separated. So if it's "remarkable" that a body ended up where it did, how about the fact that BOTH of them ended up at this location?

Just seems unlikely and I would like to understand better.

Trisha- This is exactly what I was thinking...! So that makes me think they just stayed in the spot where they perished. Maybe rowed a boat (now vanished?) to an island, or got lost and ended up on the island unintentionally.. probably got wet & cold along the way.. maybe they fell asleep trying to stay warm and the boat drifted off.. they were stuck there, freezing, and succumbed..? It seems that if they both tipped overboard and went into the water, they would have sunk or would have at least been found, if at all, in 2 different spots...

Well, I'm years late to this thread, though I am extremely familiar with the area, having a cottage in mid-coast Maine (just north of Kennebunkport) and family in Portsmouth, NH (just south of Kennebunkport). My guess is that they "borrowed" a small craft -- one that wouldn't necessarily be missed until summer and even after that, would be presumed to have been washed away, or stolen, not reported to the police (we've had kayaks and canoes and rowboats go missing over the years... it's part of life near the water...) -- they decided to go a short distance to the island. The boat capsized or was not sea-worthy for some reason, and they ended up swimming to the nearest shore. Their clothes were wet so they took them off, or maybe they started to succumb to hypothermia and took them off in their delirium. You cannot last long after a dunking in the water in December in Maine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back