GUILTY NC - Teghan Skiba, 4, Smithfield, 19 July 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all Websleuthers who have kept us informed about this case..so horrible. Special thanks to those who attended the trail..cannot imagine how difficult that was. Glad Teghan's family knows about the support from so many around the world. Still do not understand why national media is not covering this case. MOO ...HR is as guilty JR!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How any other human being can be in the vicinity of this and not want to tear him apart with their bare hands in beyond me.

I am a peace and love vegetarian old hippy type who wouldn't hurt a fly, but I tell you I would not be able to control myself were I to find myself anywhere in his vicinity.

The photograph of the attorney or whoever she was sititng next to him in court and the pair of them laughing and sharing a joke made me want to throw up in a bucket. How could she?

As for the mother and the grandparents - both are culpable. This could not have happened without them. One by placing that child in the situation in the first place, and the other by ignoring what was right under their nose.

I agree with someone who suggested suing. Wrongful death. No, I'm not thinking about benefitting financially. Were I the paternal grandparents, perhaps I'd sue the Creech people and use any possible proceeds to benefit children/abused children, in some way. That couple, the Creech people, were Teghan's last chance, and they let her down terribly. No one else could possibly have helped her because she was secreted away in their shed. Nobody else knew where she was. JMO

A suit for Wrongful Death must be brought within 2 years of the date of death.

Here is one resource -- "
"Wrongful Death

A wrongful death action must be brought within two years of the date of death."

http://www.edgarsnyder.com/statute-limitations/north-carolina-statute-limitations.html

But like you, glee, there's got to be other actions... neglect, or something -- IANAL, but there's plenty of attys out there who could think of something, I feel sure.

This is an interesting and informative article re NC law.

This article also mentions the Jonathan Richardson capital murder trial.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/14/4766769/investigators-open-probe-into.html#.UyPiH5WPK00
Charlotte Observer - Charlotte, NC -- 3/14/14

Investigators open probe into Kilah’s death

Snipped:

North Carolina is already in the midst of a high-profile capital murder trial involving allegations of child abuse.

In Smithfield, Jonathan Douglas Richardson faces a possible death penalty if he’s convicted of the 2010 torture and beating death of his girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter.

Investigators say Richardson whipped, bit and sexually assaulted the child for 10 days while her mother was away on military training. Richardson’s attorney says his client is mentally ill and was abused by his own father.

Among the charges he faces: felony child abuse/inflicting serious bodily injury – the same as Houser.

Hmmm -- this is interesting, the new law:

"With the help of family members, the state passed "Kilah's Law" last year. The law, in effect since December, increases maximum child abuse penalties to 15-33 years and makes clear on the offender's record that a child was the victim. The law has since started moving through Congress.

The article above from: http://www.wxii12.com/news/abused-girl-dies-weeks-after-nc-stepfather-convicted/24974792

15--33 years - Now that's more like it. If Teghan had survived, she would likely, IMHO, also be in a persistent vegetative state for who knows how long? Who would have been by her side, reading her stories and holding her hand, and talking to her? Who? Probably folks like us, if any of us had known about it. I knew nothing about Kilah till just now.

Now, maybe I'm too ensconced in my own life, but how many of you folks knew about this little girl? That should not be. It should not be that way.

But Kilah's family at least will know that this new law, or change in sentence, etc., came about because of little Kilah's suffering. Her horrible abuse and her long "sentence" of coma after it did not occur without making a better law for persons like her abuser. It was not in vain.

"Kilah's Law" -- something very good which arose from something very, very bad which should not have happened at all. Ever.

Bless you and your loved ones, Kilah Davenport. Valiant Victim & Little Fighter.

Doesn't one have to be charged with something to make a deal?

:twocents::twocents::twocents:
Okay, so it's Saturday & I'm on-call @ work because I decided to "do" an untimely death case of another child! Fortunately, (or unfortunately, depends on one's point of view!) a cracker-jack, whip smart ADA is on site gathering info on her cases for court & she's in a chatty mood!:loveyou::loveyou:

Her take (remember she is NOT a lawyer in Teghan's jurisdiction!) on the possible Creech involvement or lack thereof: no harm no foul to the Grands IF they or at least one testified @ court. :scared::scared: "deals" are made ALL THE TIME to get information that is truthful (LIE & IT'S DEAL OFF!). This "frees-up" the court schedule, lets the State "go after" the "BIG" bad guys & gals and frustrates just about everybody else! :banghead::banghead:
:truce:
Wrongful death suit......has jurisdictional time limits as they are CIVIL cases (usually within 2 years of the harmful activity) and as to who might sue, well the maternal & paternal grandparents PROBABLY have NO STANDING as it is in MOST jurisdictions unless they are the direct caregiver or active cohabitant. (yeah, lawyer wording, SO not mine!):blushing:

heather moore ‏@heathermoorenow 2m

#helenreyes said she talked to #teghanskiba nearly every day she was gone.teghan never said anything was wrong staying w/#jonathanrichardson

lies!!!!

Have just finished reading the entire thread and this is truly awful. By leaving that baby in the 'care' of a man she knew had whipped, hit and given alcohol to her, the mother is every bit as responsible for her painful and tragic death as if she had carried out the torture and beatings herself. She should be facing the same penalty as him IMO...not having more babies and carrying on with her life as she pleases. That poor child. And as for the grandmother who walked away after hearing Teghan 'whimper' and being shouted at....when are people going to realise that we are all responsible for all the children? If she was 'scared' of him, how on earth does she think that defenceless wee girl felt?

i will look for the information. He apparently worked construction. That is the reason he said Grandma would help with Teghan.

I can't help but wonder what he did with her if he did leave. I can't imagine he would let her run loose in the shed where she might try and get someone's attention. If he bound her it might explain why she had accidents. And then he punished her for them. Sick, sick, sick.

There was no way out for her. There was nothing she was ever going to be able to do or say to keep that monster off of her. I can't believe she had to walk that path alone to its horrific conclusion and no one stopped it.

I was reading comments about this case on local news FB's, and so many people were saying that they need to stop talking about the case, that it is sensationalism, too brutal and hard to read about. There were even some people who said they were unliking the page. It was a contrast from some posts I see here, that want the details of what happened to Teghan to be a big, national story. I can understand both POVs. But when you read the comments, it becomes clear why this case isn't more publicized.

I was reading comments about this case on local news FB's, and so many people were saying that they need to stop talking about the case, that it is sensationalism, too brutal and hard to read about. There were even some people who said they were unliking the page. It was a contrast from some posts I see here, that want the details of what happened to Teghan to be a big, national story. I can understand both POVs. But when you read the comments, it becomes clear why this case isn't more publicized.

That is why there isn't much media attention. If it is too upsetting, people do not want to look at it. To me, it is apathy.

To summarize snipped tweets (see below) from Heather Moore - reporter with TWC (Time Warner Cable) - Raleigh, NC:

Teghan Skiba's dad lives out of town; maybe out of state. At the time of Teghan Skiba's death, her father Jerry Skiba, was in Wake County Jail
on felony drug charges. His parents said he is having a hard time with all of this.

If you look at the NC Offender Registry, Jerry Skiba was incarcerated last year also, released in December 2013.

According to his public Facebook page as of February he still lived in Raleigh, which is "technically" out of town to the trial, but not very far away.

IIRC, it was noted in court that HR faces 20 to 25 months if convicted.

That is why there isn't much media attention. If it is too upsetting, people do not want to look at it. To me, it is apathy.

Yeah, it is not a case that a lot of people are going to follow or keep up with details. It's hard to really discuss it too, as you can't really talk about different theories, or debate the defendant's guilt.

The media broadcasts all kinds of unspeakable things. I get the point but wholly disagree that non-coverage should be the case. Everyone should know about poor little Teghan. Caylee Anthony was all over the news when it was speculated that she was being drugged and hauled around in the trunk of the car. Sticking one's head in the sand doesn't make it any less real. I feel so incredibly bad for Teghan and for the people who actually loved her. May justice prevail!

The media broadcasts all kinds of unspeakable things. I get the point but wholly disagree that non-coverage should be the case. Everyone should know about poor little Teghan. Caylee Anthony was all over the news when it was speculated that she was being drugged and hauled around in the trunk of the car. Sticking one's head in the sand doesn't make it any less real. I feel so incredibly bad for Teghan and for the people who actually loved her. May justice prevail!

What happened to Teghan is a lot more graphic than what happened to Caylee. They are both horrible, but I can see why people have a harder time hearing about a little girl who was tortured in ways they have never heard of before for. Also, the main point of every article about Teghan is about the horrific abuse that led to her death, whereas the coverage of Caylee's case wasn't solely about the exact moments she was murdered. It was an article about the video of Teghan begging Richardson not to hurt her that got people very upset, and telling the media to stop talking about the case.

Even seasoned case followers such as me have had to take a step back from little Teghan's case.

The abuse/torture was so horrific, the failure to protect this child so complete by so many. Its just one of the toughest cases for many reasons.

I have also come to realize just how many survivors of abuse are members here, and often a case as horrific as this one can contain triggers for some pretty nasty personal baggage.

I so appreciate those who are posting the trial updates.

If nothing else this case should be reported on as a cautionary tale. Mothers need to KNOW who they are leaving their children with.

If nothing else this case should be reported on as a cautionary tale. Mothers need to KNOW who they are leaving their children with.

I think she DID know, and that's the hardest thing for me.

The abuse that Teghan endured was beyond horrific, and as painful as it is to witness, doing so isn't what makes this case so hard for me. I feel like it's all I can do for Teghan, that I owe it to her memory. So many of us feel this way, I think.

The hardest thing, for me, is that her mother left her there to be brutalized. Remember, she had already witnessed him slap, whip, and knock Teghan down. Teghan had already gotten a black eye, a cut to her head...I can't remember what all happened BEFORE her mother left her there. And Teghan's mother was well aware that he was taking pictures of her holding beer and cigarettes, and that he was making videos of her saying she wouldn't accidently potty in the shed anymore. Her mom was IN the pictures.

So what did she do? She left her there in that shed that contained no potty, one small air mattress and a man who she barely knew, who had already shown a pattern of abuse against her tiny, precious daughter. Teghan had grandparents and aunts who wanted to care for her. But her mom CHOSE to leave her with him instead.

And that is what I am having the hardest time with. The fact that she is just living her life. Still in the military, is that right? Did I really read that?! And she has a new baby, with a new boyfriend. It scares the hell out of me for this new little child. And it infuriates me for Teghan. It makes me so, so angry that Teghan's mother is not being held accountable for what she did. She signed her death sentence IMO. I doubt that she thought he would kill Teghan, but I believe she knew full-well that he would hurt her. Can you imagine leaving your child with someone who you KNOW will hurt her? Can you imagine anything more disgusting and vile than a mother who does that? I can't.

There is always going to be the type of mothers/women that will choose to put a man before her children.
Nothing will ever change that unless girls are taught they do not need a man to be valuable, to respect themselves, and are raised to be strong, independent, and worthy of respect. IMO little girls really do need a loving male role model. Too many don't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she DID know, and that's the hardest thing for me.

The abuse that Teghan endured was beyond horrific, and as painful as it is to witness, doing so isn't what makes this case so hard for me. I feel like it's all I can do for Teghan, that I owe it to her memory. So many of us feel this way, I think.

The hardest thing, for me, is that her mother left her there to be brutalized. Remember, she had already witnessed him slap, whip, and knock Teghan down. Teghan had already gotten a black eye, a cut to her head...I can't remember what all happened BEFORE her mother left her there. And Teghan's mother was well aware that he was taking pictures of her holding beer and cigarettes, and that he was making videos of her saying she wouldn't accidently potty in the shed anymore. Her mom was IN the pictures.

So what did she do? She left her there in that shed that contained no potty, one small air mattress and a man who she barely knew, who had already shown a pattern of abuse against her tiny, precious daughter. Teghan had grandparents and aunts who wanted to care for her. But her mom CHOSE to leave her with him instead.

And that is what I am having the hardest time with. The fact that she is just living her life. Still in the military, is that right? Did I really read that?! And she has a new baby, with a new boyfriend. It scares the hell out of me for this new little child. And it infuriates me for Teghan. It makes me so, so angry that Teghan's mother is not being held accountable for what she did. She signed her death sentence IMO. I doubt that she thought he would kill Teghan, but I believe she knew full-well that he would hurt her. Can you imagine leaving your child with someone who you KNOW will hurt her? Can you imagine anything more disgusting and vile than a mother who does that? I can't.

All of this. Thank you for posting it. So many tears for Teghan. That is the crux of this case. That beautiful girl could have been left at her grandmother's. Instead her selfish mother decided to drag her off to a shed that housed a monster and the LEAVE her there. That is what is makes this case so much harder to bear. She knew or should have known. Her own mother would have kept Teghan, I have no doubt. But to make a point and to show that nobody was going to tell her how to live her life she dragged Teghan to hell and left her there.

As much anger as I hold toward Teghan's murderer I hold more for her mother.

i absolutely agree that HR knew he was abusive. How many times do we witness moms leaving their kids with their boyfriends who end up hurting them? I am referring to those moms.

If Teghan's story ends up enlightening just one of those mothers, her story should be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong