Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are waiting. I have a lot of knowledge of deep water activities and capable vehicles having worked with Oceaneering International for many years.

What did that mean anyway? That the captain of the ship may be responsible?

The Telegraph article says that if the plane is missing for more than two days it is assumed it has been"destroyed"

Don't think it specified anything about the Captain.

can you guys imagine the dumbfounded expressions on the ocean shield when those pings came back for two hours? It must have been like finding a nugget of gold in a coal mine.

Please share your knowledge on the subject. It would be greatly appeciated.

I'll start with common sense: they have a lot of resources deployed right now to retrieve the black boxes, which they would be unlikely to do if they knew they were in an area which made it impossible from an engineering standpoint.

Alternatively: James Cameron, Marianas Trench. Here's his explanation from today on how the black boxes would likely be retrieved. He points out that his submersibles can go twice as deep.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...limate-change-leonardo-dicaprio-and-more.html

I guess let us know why Cameron is wrong, or why it's impossible or outside of the bluefin's capabilities? I will follow any science-related links you provide.

I'll start with common sense: they have a lot of resources deployed right now to retrieve the black boxes, which they would be unlikely to do if they knew they were in an area which made it impossible from an engineering standpoint.

Alternatively: James Cameron, Marianas Trench.

I guess let us know why it's impossible or outside of the bluefin's capabilities? I will follow any science-related links you provide.

That's me - I'm a Common Sense person. I have not heard that anyone is any closer to the "black box"...We can all have our hopes and dreams but nothing so far shows any signs of this happening.

Alternatively: James Cameron, Marianas Trench. Here's his explanation from today on how the black boxes would likely be retrieved. He points out that his submersibles can go twice as deep.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...limate-change-leonardo-dicaprio-and-more.html

I guess let us know why Cameron is wrong, or why it's impossible or outside of the bluefin's capabilities? I will follow any science-related links you provide.

SO glad to see you posting on this thread, A.E.
I always appreciate your investigative skills and enjoy your posts in general. :)
Thanks for the links!!! I believe all will be found/ solved in time. I'm very sad about the massive loss of lives, as I am sure all who believe the plane went down are.

Aw thanks. *blush* To give credit where due, I've mostly been following the story on reddit, which has tended to be very focused on the recovery efforts and technology involved. I've come away with the impression that the searchers ended up where they are not because of astronomically good luck, but because of the Inmarsat data. It's also been exciting to watch as the search field keeps narrowing and people much smarter than me explain what all the pieces (ocean shield, HMS echo, the Orion aircrafts, etc) are doing and why. I'm somewhat sad the pings haven't been heard in 24hr, but as I understand it that's good news as it would tend to "prove" they're in the right area because the batteries SHOULD be running out right about now. And they still have a lot of data to crunch.

(Edit: I hope "exciting" doesn't come off as callous. Excited in the same way when there's a break in any case. I made peace with the fact the plane was likely in the ocean long ago, and I cannot imagine. Really I can't. Either for passengers or families. Focussing on the techie stuff is my coping mechanism.)

The black boxes or box will never be recovered. That's my opinion only.

I hate to quote self but still don't think there is any way of recovering black box/es from those depths.

I have a lot of knowledge of deep water activities and capable vehicles having worked with Oceaneering International for many years.

but, according to the oceaneering international website, the company manufactures ROVs that are capable of working up to depths of 8000m, which is much deeper than the area of the indian ocean being examined: http://www.oceaneering.com/rovs/

another company, ISE, also manufactures an ROV @ 6000m: http://www.ise.bc.ca/hysub40-5000.html

and the american made remora 6000(m) was the one that retrieved the boxes from flight 447... pics of retrieval @ link:

http://www.cnet.com/news/remora-rov-fishes-out-air-france-black-box/

There are evil people in this world, aa9511.
I totally agree, I've thought for a long time that this was pilot suicide, and I was pooh-poohed here about what a great man Captain Shah was.:banghead:
Now that the co-pilot tried to make a cell call tells me that he wasn't involved and was trying to call for help. It reinforces my belief that this was pilot suicide. Pilot suicide has happened before, I don't understand why people refuse to believe this is possible. It's what the majority of officials are pointing at- there was no malfunction or fire.

I totally agree, I've thought for a long time that this was pilot suicide, and I was pooh-poohed here about what a great man Captain Shah was.:banghead:
Now that the co-pilot tried to make a cell call tells me that he wasn't involved and was trying to call for help. It reinforces my belief that this was pilot suicide. Pilot suicide has happened before, I don't understand why people refuse to believe this is possible. It's what the majority of officials are pointing at- there was no malfunction or fire.

I heard that the captain made a cellphone call prior to the flight. Is this different info than the copilot making a call? Did he make a call during the flight? Sorry I have missed this info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard that the captain made a cellphone call prior to the flight. Is this different info than the copilot making a call? Did he make a call during the flight? Sorry I have missed this info.

Yes, this is new info. that just came out.

Thanks for the great info. I am hopeful that MH370 has finally been found.

Most unmanned airstrips have a system of light activation by the pilot. In the US, it is to key the mike five times. In Asia, it might or might not be the same activation system, but it makes no sense to have a public airstrip which is not usable in all conditions in which lighting would be advisable ( including heavy smog, fog and heavy rains, which are prevalent in Asian countries).

I still think the most sensible island to choose to land on if there was a choice is Diego Garcia. It has a huge US military air station.

BBM if I was the pilot of a plane that had lost all communication, I would think Diego Garcia would be the last place I'd want to attempt to land at - the plane would almost certainly have been shot down before it even got close. Jmo

Not quite true since the information is coming from an unnamed source and it is being reported in the news and not by the Malaysian government. The report is conflicting since one report said he tried to make a call while another report claims the cell phone may have just turned on. But nothing from the government on this yet.

http://news.msn.com/world/malaysia-flights-co-pilot-tried-to-make-cellphone-call-report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288