GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frigga, glad you are with us today...I am getting too involved emotionally so I am trying to back off ..I may have offended several posters..to whom I apologize!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Ranchgirl! How could you not get too emotionally involved, and your apology and acknowledgement is all anyone needs. I'm pretty sure we ALL do it at some point(s) here. I know I do. Hang in there- this is a terrible situation. I had much different feelings about JS before these emails.

"Sorry about your luck". Wow... a whole new light.

"We are waiting for you". She couldn't wait for her intended target to begin to experience the wrath he so casually mentioned earlier that he was willing to handle.

The epitome of evil in my book.

Wow.

Parker steps down.

Lunch break. Resume at 2 PM

How is this line of questioning helping the defense...sounds like a revenge killing vs insanity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sure. The last question defense asked was:

Def: "When you communicated with the children via skype when you were overseas, do you remember an online chat that you had with Beau S.?

PS: "I do remember one, yes Ma'am"

Def: "Do you remember at that time asking if there were any dangerous situations?"

PS: "Yes Ma'am"

Def: "One moment"

long pause

Def: "No further questions"

WHAT?? That's how they end it? They leave the jury hanging with THAT? They are going to wonder what Beau's answer was. I know that would be in my mind if I were on the jury.
IMHO, that's not a good final impression to leave on the jury with this witness.

Maybe I'm not getting their strategy..:waitasec:

For those of us here who feel it was JS mental illness, and let me say, I agree she was/is mentally ill, that contributed to these murders and that she was insane at the time- has anyone's minds changed from hearing these emails? TIA

Darn, I had to step away and missed the reading of those emails. Are they posted online anywhere? TIA

Said going to AA was part of JS's plan for her sobriety. He did not monitor her, but believed she was going. She asked to have the car back from car pooling so she could go.

JS said he was good with her decision not to sign a Hippa release.

JS said via email that his decision to preclude her from driving the children had nothing to do with her driving impaired. It wasn't just the drinking -- something more than that? The kids didn't feel safe driving with her. It wasn't an issue of just the alcohol.

The family participated in family counseling together. Julie went first, then PS and JS, then with the kids all together.

I would wonder if she was of sound mind when making the decision about not signing the HIPPA release.

Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality.

Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people, and feel uncomfortable when they are not.

While often lively, interesting and sometimes dramatic, they have difficulty when people aren't focused exclusively on them.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/histrionic-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Histrionic Personality Disorder Treatment

Psychotherapy, as with most personality disorders, is the treatment of choice. Group and family therapy approaches are generally not recommended, since the individual who suffers from this disorder often draws attention to themselves and exaggerates every action and reaction. People with disorder often come across as “fake” or shallow in their interpersonal relationships with others. Patients often are express all feelings with the same depth of emotion, unaware of the subtleties of their own emotional states and of the vast range available to them.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/histrionic-personality-disorder-treatment/

ETA: Imo, this ^^^ is the reason she would not sign a release. She knew if she did, he would have "her number"

For those of us here who feel it was JS mental illness, and let me say, I agree she was/is mentally ill, that contributed to these murders and that she was insane at the time- has anyone's minds changed from hearing these emails? TIA

Wow, Frigga, I don't know! I think she was legally sane...mentally ill, but knew right from wrong. After hearing emails, I think it was her final act of manipulation and control. She had been the one in control throughout their marriage. After the accident PS started to change that dynamic because he thought the kids were in danger so she decided that she would play the ultimate trump card to restore order...in other words...she had to be back in control. JMO

Wow, Frigga, I don't know! I think she was legally sane...mentally ill, but knew right from wrong. After hearing emails, I think it was her final act of manipulation and control. She had been the one in control throughout their marriage. After the accident PS started to change that dynamic because he thought the kids were in danger so she decided that she would play the ultimate trump card to restore order...in other words...she had to be back in control. JMO

I think there is a point of no return in a deeply depressed person's decision to strike outward instead of inwardly punishing themselves further. Not to point blame towards anyone in the family but.......JS normally felt a lot of self loathing about being "weak" (remember the reference in PS email about the children's opinions about being in bed all the time)....and IF the ones she loved the most didn't want to be around her that had to wound her deeply....I am not letting her off the hook at all for the crime BUT the pain of knowing that no one loved her anymore ((in her mind)) may have been too much...maybe she felt really betrayed. (((wild guess)))Just my wild guess that she felt that there was no purpose for her anymore, useless and redundant. (kids didn't want to drive with her and one didn't want her favorite dinner either <---- last straw?

Perhaps in her mind she felt ''ganged up on"

I'm not entirely sure. The last question defense asked was:

Def: "When you communicated with the children via skype when you were overseas, do you remember an online chat that you had with Beau S.?

PS: "I do remember one, yes Ma'am"

Def: "Do you remember at that time asking if there were any dangerous situations?"

PS: "Yes Ma'am"

Def: "One moment"

long pause

Def: "No further questions"

WHAT?? That's how they end it? They leave the jury hanging with THAT? They are going to wonder what Beau's answer was. I know that would be in my mind if I were on the jury.

IMHO, that's not a good final impression to leave on the jury with this witness.

Maybe I'm not getting their strategy..:waitasec:

IMO, they're painting a picture of a mentally ill, unstable and dangerous woman.

So dangerous that her husband asked her an if any 'dangerous situations' had occurred, etc., etc..

Next frame in the picture will be in closing- This woman was extremely mentally ill and Parker knew it. Yet he left his precious children in her care.

It's the blame Parker defense. moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone figured out who the wink was for??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had read the emails at the start of the trial, so they didn't affect my opinion.
I try to base my opinions on the facts presented. I do not feel that the defense proved that JS is not guilty by reason of insanity.

I believe she is mentally ill for sure. I also believe she was not complaint with her treatment plan.

I was on the fence regarding if her mental illness impaired her ability to know right from wrong and/or know that murdering her children was wrong.

After listening to the testimony from the psychiatrist and the expert witnesses, I just do not believe that she was not aware that what she did was wrong.

Reasons:
She lied about the reason for buying the gun
she wrote in her journal that she was planning a "Saturday Massacre".
In the interrogation tape, she said she murdered the kids because of their "mouthiness" Not because she wanted to save them from something.
JS makes comment to PS something to the effect of "Guess I stomped your heart"
She had the wherewithal to hide her gambling, that tells me she knew it was wrong, so didn't want PS to know about it. ie. she knew right from wrong.

If she had said during the interrogation that she wanted to save the kids from molestation, mental illness..etc. like she wrote in the journal...I would be more apt to believe that she murdered them for one of those reasons. Instead, her response is that she shot them in their "mouthy mouths". That sealed it for me.

Now where it gets muddled for me is, was she non-complaint to her treatment because of her mental illness, or was it because she would rather drink instead of be regulated by meds? - Or do both of those go hand in hand?

Regardless of the reasons for her non-compliance, what needs to be decided is if she knew that murdering her children was wrong. I believe that she did, and my vote is for Guilty of M1 - pre-meditated.

I believe she did what she did out of vengeance.....(exacerbated by her mental illness however caused whether it was hormonal, deviant thinking Rx drug abuse and/or alcohol)...I truly believe that she cooked the plan herself out of spite.

However long JS's laundry list of injustices towards her might be (inlaw problems husband problems whatever) it still does not justify her actions<-----JMO

I interpreted it as a facial tic

I didn't take it that way. If you watch her walk in, she looks really mean and straight-faced all the way until she turns her head. She opens her mouth in a 'I can't believe you're here' sort of way, and then winks to whoever that person is. JMO.

I'm in this camp. I think mental illness should be a mitigator in the penalty phase, but I really think she needs to be locked up for the rest of her life. It's a mixture of punishment for her act, and also the fact that I think a controlled environment, like jail, will be the most stabilizing for her.

I think if she was somehow let free into society immediately after the trial -- something I really can't see happening -- she would be a danger to herself, and potentially others in the form of, say, driving while drunk or otherwise impaired. Right now I don't see her purposefully trying to kill someone.

Then again, if I was her MIL and JS was out on the streets, I would double-check my locks every night.

OMG Devistating! I can not even begin to imagine.

When my middle daughter was 12/13... I was separated from her father... he was at the house one day with his gf and we were discussing child support and making promises to pick the girls up and then not showing or calling. During the conversation he yells out... "I hate *advertiser censored*" My daughter was in her room and she heard him say that about her!

She was forever changed by that statement from her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong