GUILTY OH - Barb Williams for child abuse, Hancock County, 2014

Well, I hope this case stays in the news so we can find out what happens further - whether the sheriff agrees to file charges and if so, what becomes of that.

She looks like she may be old enough to retire with benefits. Maybe that's what should be allowed to happen.

I do have a bit of a concern for this generation of children, if that incident viewed on camera is considered enough to scar him permanently. This is going down a bit of a rabbit trail, I know, and not related specifically to this case where we have so few details, but are we wrapping our children in cotton wool and then expecting them to be able to cope with adversity later in life with zero experience with it? I'm gravely concerned about the number of children who commit suicide in our culture - I believe we FAR outweigh other cultures in suicide rate - and is it because our children have had absolutely no training in "getting over it"?

Maybe I'm older than most in this thread. I'm 54. When I was a kid, if you openly defied a kinder teacher and walked out of your computer class to go wander the halls and had to be tracked down when the teacher was able to make time to track you down, and this had been happening since November as well as willfull urinating accidents in the classroom, THIS scene is what you would expect. An angry teacher to snatch you up by your collar and yell in your face. And likely you'd face much, much worse at home for this.

"The greatest generation" of Americans - those who fought in WWII and then went on to create changes and improvements the likes of which no other generation has been able to accomplish - certainly raised their kids with this treatment if they were as difficult as Ian appears to be in some of the newer articles.

I'm sorry. I'm in the 'get over it' camp when kids can. This kid didn't even mention it to his parents. He's got more flexibility than his mother and dad, and in my opinion, they should rethink how to get him to stop behaving this way in school.

Well, I hope this case stays in the news so we can find out what happens further - whether the sheriff agrees to file charges and if so, what becomes of that.

She looks like she may be old enough to retire with benefits. Maybe that's what should be allowed to happen.

I do have a bit of a concern for this generation of children, if that incident viewed on camera is considered enough to scar him permanently. This is going down a bit of a rabbit trail, I know, and not related specifically to this case where we have so few details, but are we wrapping our children in cotton wool and then expecting them to be able to cope with adversity later in life with zero experience with it? I'm gravely concerned about the number of children who commit suicide in our culture - I believe we FAR outweigh other cultures in suicide rate - and is it because our children have had absolutely no training in "getting over it"?

Maybe I'm older than most in this thread. I'm 54. When I was a kid, if you openly defied a kinder teacher and walked out of your computer class to go wander the halls and had to be tracked down when the teacher was able to make time to track you down, and this had been happening since November as well as willfull urinating accidents in the classroom, THIS scene is what you would expect. An angry teacher to snatch you up by your collar and yell in your face. And likely you'd face much, much worse at home for this.

"The greatest generation" of Americans - those who fought in WWII and then went on to create changes and improvements the likes of which no other generation has been able to accomplish - certainly raised their kids with this treatment if they were as difficult as Ian appears to be in some of the newer articles.

I'm sorry. I'm in the 'get over it' camp when kids can. This kid didn't even mention it to his parents. He's got more flexibility than his mother and dad, and in my opinion, they should rethink how to get him to stop behaving this way in school.

I am 57 and I completely agree with you.
If I had behaved like this kid I would not have had to worry about the teacher doing this to me. My parents would have already taken care of it!

I never condoned what she did. I also said she does not need to be teaching.

Unless you have been in the schools and personally seen the behavior problems kids have these days
, and how teachers cant discipline them, no one needs to judge a teacher without knowing the facts of a situation. It is out of control. I personally know many teachers who are retiring with the minimal amount of time they have in because they just can't deal with it anymore.

I knew better than to post on this thread...but it was before I had coffee this morning and I wasnt quite awake yet. I stand firm on what I posted and believe. But I'm not going to argue my point. It is what it is.

Well, I did judge this teacher because of the video I saw.

*The problems I am aware of are in the big inner city schools and with students who are in much higher grades than this. If a teacher cannot deal with it, then don't be a teacher. It's just that simple, IMO.

MOO!!!

Well, I did judge this teacher because of the video I saw.

*The problems I am aware of are in the big inner city schools and with students who are in much higher grades than this. If a teacher cannot deal with it, then don't be a teacher. It's just that simple, IMO.

MOO!!!

And what were those kids who are now kind of too old to change and too big to physically intimidate treated like in kinder?

You can deal with it early, or you can deal with it later, IMHO.

By the way, I don't know that we can compare a child who is being raised like Ian with a child in an inner city school. They have different influences and upbringings and reasons for being defiant. It looks to me (I know very little about this, just what we all have access to on the net) like no one has told Ian he needs to do what he's told.

And what were those kids who are now kind of too old to change and too big to physically intimidate treated like in kinder?

By the way, I don't know that we can compare a child who is being raised like Ian with a child in an inner city school. They have different influences and upbringings and reasons for being defiant. It looks to me (I know very little about this, just what we all have access to on the net) like no one has told Ian he needs to do what he's told.

So, by doing it early...you mean physically assaulted a child in a hallway. Everything I know about difficult and defiant children, proves that's the best way to get through to them (sarcasm intended.)

The excuses for this teacher and blaming this student...are lame. He is FIVE. There are steps she should have taken, and she chose going in the hallway and doing this. Sher doesn't deserve to be a teacher, she doesn't have the correct skills.

I believe this kid is one of the many who is disruptive in class and a disciplinary problem. I believe his parents believe everything he says about how he does nothing wrong and it is all the mean teachers fault. I believe the parents think their little angel can do no wrong and is a joy for others to have around.
I believe this poor woman was at the end of her rope with this child and lost it.

I also believe that because she lost it, she no longer needs to be teaching. Kids today are not the same as they used to be. Teachers have a terrible job due to this. When I was in my 30s I went back to school for my teaching degree. By the time I got to my senior year and got into the classroom I knew that I had made a terrible mistake. The kids behaved awfully. There was no way to discipline effectively and I knew it wouldn't be long before I was either fired or in jail because I would snap just as this teacher apparently did. I finished school and got my degree, then wisely got a job in another field.

I am sorry for this woman as she has had her life and career ruined because of one child whose family probably thinks the world revolves around him and he can do no wrong.

I could be wrong. I will admit that. But I've seen enough to know that I'm probably right.

I'm with you...
She was wrong
The dad has said they didn't get along.
There's definitely more to the story.

I only have one, she's a bit older, and we home school. This time of the year, it's all I can do to keep things together, we are doing a lot of hands on fun learning right now, so that we can finish out formally. You can't do that in a class with 20 or more. (As soon as the math curriculum is done, we're done for the year).

With all due respect, his parents do believe him. The video exists. The teacher is clearly in the wrong.

I think she meant, why he didn't tell BEFORE they saw the video. I'm sure the parents would have believed him even then, but children think differently.

So, by doing it early...you mean physically assaulted a child in a hallway. Everything I know about difficult and defiant children, proves that's the best way to get through to them (sarcasm intended.)

The excuses for this teacher and blaming this student...are lame. He is FIVE. There are steps she should have taken, and she chose going in the hallway and doing this. Sher doesn't deserve to be a teacher, she doesn't have the correct skills.

No, not by assaulting him in the hallway. By making it clear he is to obey the teacher's reasonable requests - not leaving the classroom without permission repeatedly. We are not doing any kids a service by letting them repeatedly wander about the school without permission, which according to the articles is what made Williams finally fly completely off the handle. What if this child wandered into the kitchen and was badly burned? Got into the electrical closet and electrocuted? Severe repurcussions need to be handed down to kids who won't stay in their classroom and defiantly leave and wander off - it's a safety and security issue.

I'm a bit baffled by this Today segment. So, she was NOT his teacher?? Why does the mother call Williams "a complete stranger"?

http://www.today.com/moms/teacher-s...ndergartner-video-leaves-mom-tears-2D79674275

WHY is the emphasis put on children rather than this adult monster?

Sorry you do not get my point. Please scroll and roll. I know I am.

I think she meant, why he didn't tell BEFORE they saw the video. I'm sure the parents would have believed him even then, but children think differently.

Good post. Children do think differently and he had spoken to his parents back in November.
There had already been problem with this teacher and student in November. That is in the article. The parents had wanted the child placed in another class and the school did not want to and stated the teacher was highly recommended. So apparently the child spoke to his parents about this teacher in November and the parents spoke to the school. This did not have to happen.

MOO

It is ridiculous to place blame on the child or his parents. There are no excuses for the actions of the teacher. Her behavior is so outrageously wrong, another staff member brought the video to the attention of Ian's parents. A 6-yo child who is urinating on himself in his classroom has issues that won't be solved or helped by assaulting him.

My son's first grade teacher behaved in a similar bullying fashion. Parents started comparing notes, confronted the principal and finally went to the Superintendent. The teacher went to rehab for her alcoholism.

Ian's parents are doing EXACTLY what should be done.

JMO

Just wow. There is no justification for this. What if a cop walked up to you and did the same thing??? Because that is what we have here. A person in authority assaulting a smaller person because.... She wanted to.

She needs to be fired. She should not be around kids.. EVER AGAIN. Not in this capacity.

Good post. Children do think differently and he had spoken to his parents back in November.
There had already been problem with this teacher and student in November. That is in the article. The parents had wanted the child placed in another class and the school did not want to and stated the teacher was highly recommended. So apparently the child spoke to his parents about this teacher in November and the parents spoke to the school. This did not have to happen.

MOO

Oh, I know.

Last night when we were talking the original poster asked if he really didn't tell. We were just talking about the various scenarios about why a child wouldn't tell. (I know all that that was a bit off topic...but that's where all that chatter came from.)

I agree, it did not and should not have happened.

No, not by assaulting him in the hallway. By making it clear he is to obey the teacher's reasonable requests - not leaving the classroom without permission repeatedly. We are not doing any kids a service by letting them repeatedly wander about the school without permission, which according to the articles is what made Williams finally fly completely off the handle. What if this child wandered into the kitchen and was badly burned? Got into the electrical closet and electrocuted? Severe repurcussions need to be handed down to kids who won't stay in their classroom and defiantly leave and wander off - it's a safety and security issue.

I'm a bit baffled by this Today segment. So, she was NOT his teacher?? Why does the mother call Williams "a complete stranger"?

http://www.today.com/moms/teacher-s...ndergartner-video-leaves-mom-tears-2D79674275

We can be sure that if he had been injured while wandering about it would have STILL been the monster teachers fault(sarcasm intended)

Respectfully BBM.

IMO, no child should have to learn to "get over" abuse. No matter who or where it's coming from.

I don't think that protecting children from physical violence by adults in authority is wrapping them in cotton wool. JMO.

PS the "greatest generation"'s wonderful parenting tactics produced hippies. Think about it. :floorlaugh:

I showed my husband this video. He is a teacher and has been for a long time, in a very rough school district. His opinion? NO MATTER WHAT, no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT the circumstances were between this child and teacher....she should not have laid a finger on this child or said the things she did. She should be fired, and would be, in his school, even with a strong union that we both love. And the other teachers would support that firing. This is what you call a NEVER scenario. Zero tolerance.

Respectfully BBM.

IMO, no child should have to learn to "get over" abuse. No matter who or where it's coming from.

I don't think that protecting children from physical violence by adults in authority is wrapping them in cotton wool. JMO.

PS the "greatest generation"'s wonderful parenting tactics produced hippies. Think about it. :floorlaugh:

BBM

hippies using mind altering drugs, too. :floorlaugh:

Respectfully BBM.

Yes, I've certainly thought about that. ;D And the hippies gave birth to the worst kind of helicopter parents ever seen in our culture - unwilling to allow their children to grow up. Never have colleges had departments that deal with parent interface exclusively - because in the past, college students were adults who largely dealt with their own problems and mum and daddy weren't there fighting all their battles. I have a friend who is in HR in a large tech company and he routinely deals with parents of employees - who have college degrees and are professional staff - who interfere.

The pendulum does swing back and forth, for sure, generation to generation. Maybe this group of overly coddled young people will allow their kids some breathing room and some experience with failure.

Naa. Probably not.

she could've snapped him like a twig and she knows it and could not control herself

she's a typical bully with rage issues who lost it

there's a history here but we don't know if it's a history of his misbehaviour or her just choosing him as a scapegoat or both AND IT DOESN'T MATTER because if she couldn't teach him without snapping, then she should've sought help and the fact that the parents requested he be moved classrooms shows that she did not think there was a problem (the school admins were supportive of her at that point but refused to move him)

when I was a kid - older than him - possibly 9 or 10?, a principle lifted me off the ground by my collar - it terrorized me so much that I still remember it clearly 40+/- years later (and a favorite teacher stood by in shock and did not defend me) and the worst part is that he thought I was someone else and I had done nothing wrong

her lawyer can't help her - her teaching career is done and she will be convicted of assault charges and IMO, she should also have to pay for therapy for this child for as long as he needs it

Yes, I've certainly thought about that. ;D And the hippies gave birth to the worst kind of helicopter parents ever seen in our culture - unwilling to allow their children to grow up. Never have colleges had departments that deal with parent interface exclusively - because in the past, college students were adults who largely dealt with their own problems and mum and daddy weren't there fighting all their battles. I have a friend who is in HR in a large tech company and he routinely deals with parents of employees - who have college degrees and are professional staff - who interfere.

The pendulum does swing back and forth, for sure, generation to generation. Maybe this group of overly coddled young people will allow their kids some breathing room and some experience with failure.

Naa. Probably not.

Nothing like generalizing..

Sounds to me like you have a bias against all kinds of parents. This generation of helicopter parents is that way because the world is worse. Because we now know instantly that another child is taken or abused or murdered.

I will never forget that little boy in NY,.
http://www.mommyish.com/2011/07/13/...irst-walk-home-from-school-found-dismembered/

That is why we watch over our kids with more diligence. We still raise responsible kids but are not willing to let them being snatched by a crazy murderer just looking for a chance and it has NOTHING to do with this.

This woman is an abuser. She assaulted a child for NO reason. Not that any reason would be okay but you can plainly see that she walked up to the child and assaulted him. She is a menace and should be tried for this.

There is no excuse, no reason, No way this is okay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back