GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5F3lvkQQvI

10min vid, interview w sheriff today or yesterday.

At 3:05, he says [mostly my paraphrasing] whether this was done "as a result of self preservation or pure meanness" it takes a certain level of depravity to kill 80+ y/o ppl, like this etc .

What is he saying ---"as a result of self preservation."
--- "pure meanness"
Thx in adv. :seeya:

I might be wrong, but i think what he means by 'self preservation' is the Dermonds knew something awful about the killer...so he had to kill them to preserve his own life or lifestyle.

True Ocean, but every now and then a reward may nudge that person to come forward that has valuable information that solves a case.. Many folks simply do not want to get involved for various reasons...

Just returned from having the nerves burned in my back. Uggh forgive me if I post a little incoherently (well more than I normally do anyway). :floorlaugh:

But in this particular case lets say for argument sake that it was done by someone who lived in the community. If someone came forward with evidence that leads to an arrest and conviction wouldn't they have to be somewhat involved in the crimes themselves.

In this particular case I don't even think offering a million dollar reward is going to smoke anyone out that knows something about the murders. JMO

Sometime it isn't about the money but protecting oneself from liabilities of their own.

And I honestly don't think anyone knows about these crimes except the killer or killers themselves.

JMO though

At 3:05, he says [mostly my paraphrasing] whether this was done "as a result of self preservation or pure meanness" it takes a certain level of depravity to kill 80+ y/o ppl, like this etc .

--- "pure meanness"

I think he is thinking that whoever this person is took Shirley's body and Russ's head to hide them both because he felt if he didn't the murders may could tie him back to the crimes themselves. He was hiding evidence and someone does that because they know they can be linked back to the crime.

He was/is trying to protect himself from being linked to the crimes. That is why he distanced the head and Shirley body from where the crime happened. IMO, it happened in his own home or at least on his own property.

He knew it would bide him the time he needed to have one murder investigation going on but they also had a missing person as well at the same time. That would create two investigations happening all at the same time.

IMO

Everybody I have talked to is baffled. Nobody here thinks it had to do with the MetLife purchase. And Met Life is WAY too big to be affected by this. That whole thing is over and done. Certainly never heard of the Dermond's being involved or activists pro or con.

And I still maintain that you could travel by boat from the Dermond's dock to the Riley Shoals area in ten or fifteen minutes. These boats go really fast. Bass boats over 45 MPH typically. Deck boats well over 25 or 30 mph.

Were the Dermonds well known in the area before this crime. Did people know their home before? ty

--- "pure meanness"

I see "self preservation" as covering one's behind. The Dermonds knew something about the perp that did not want exposed.

Just returned from having the nerves burned in my back. Uggh forgive me if I post a little incoherently (well more than I normally do anyway). :floorlaugh:

But in this particular case lets say for argument sake that it was done by someone who lived in the community. If someone came forward with evidence that leads to an arrest and conviction wouldn't they have to be somewhat involved in the crimes themselves.

In this particular case I don't even think offering a million dollar reward is going to smoke anyone out that knows something about the murders. JMO

Sometime it isn't about the money but protecting oneself from liabilities of their own.

And I honestly don't think anyone knows about these crimes except the killer or killers themselves.

JMO though

When you say lived in the "community" do you mean Great Waters neighborhood or are you including all the other wealthy neighborhoods surrounding Lake Oconee?

Were the Dermonds well known in the area before this crime. Did people know their home before? ty

I didn't know them although they look familiar. I am sure they had many friends but they lived quietly and weren't high profile. Their home is very average for the neighborhood, It had never been on a tour of homes. The little inlet is quite secluded to be so close to the main lake.

When you say lived in the "community" do you mean Great Waters neighborhood or are you including all the other wealthy neighborhoods surrounding Lake Oconee?

Hi Hickory!

I think all of this would have been much easier to do for someone who lived right inside of the community with the Dermonds.

They would know how to maneuver their boat to the disposal site. They would be able to leave right from there and not have to go elsewhere. They would also know how the homes were really secluded mostly from each other. They are more likely to know the Dermonds daily habits. And imo there is a greater chance they would be acquainted with the Dermonds if they lived right there.

Imo, all of this becomes much easier to do for someone living right there in the community with Dermonds, imo.

IMO

I see "self preservation" as covering one's behind. The Dermonds knew something about the perp that did not want exposed.

Since he is talking specifically about the murders themselves and how they were carried out. I think this person knew he had to hide the crucial evidence, which was the head of Russ, and the body of Shirley and did so out of self-preservation to avoid being detected as the murderer.

Hi Hickory!

I think all of this would have been much easier to do for someone who lived right inside of the community with the Dermonds.

They would know how to maneuver their boat to the disposal site. They would be able to leave right from there and not have to go elsewhere. They would also know how the homes were really secluded mostly from each other. They are more likely to know the Dermonds daily habits. And imo there is a greater chance they would be acquainted with the Dermonds if they lived right there.

Imo, all of this becomes much easier to do for someone living right there in the community with Dermonds, imo.

IMO

Let me make sure I understand your definition of community. You mean within the gates of Great Waters.

Since Lake Oconee residents live in two different towns, the entire lake area is sometimes referred to as the Lake Oconee community.

Hi All--I haven't posted since the Celina Cass case happened. (Hoped for quick resolution to what happened to that poor, sweet girl. I see it's still unsolved but that persons associated with case were recently arrested.) The Dermond case has my attention for a different reason. I live in northeast Georgia and am somewhat familiar with RP and Lake Oconee. I know firsthand how quickly things can go south in affluent neighborhoods. Years ago, my parents' upscale home was invaded by, believe it or not, a father-daughter crime duo who held a gun to my disabled dad's head and ransacked the house. In this case, the perps had connections to a person my folks had employed to do yard work. The daughter in this duo, a young woman, later died after falling as she tried to escape from the courthouse jail.

I've been leaning towards something like that--a person who did work for the Dermonds and then ran their mouth about what they had, their vulnerability, etc. This is why I get nervous about bringing anyone into my home to do work--even innocuous people like home health care workers, etc. The person himself/herself may be just fine, but their relatives and associates may not be.

Still feel it has to do with one spouse seeing/hearing something they shouldn't and had to be silenced. other was collateral damage.body was dragged to garage from a short distance away in order to hide it temporarily from passerby view.

Mrs. D was dumped as perp exited via lake.

Perp was high. MOO

Ita. Maybe they saw the mailman coming or someone coming. I keep changing my mind, from it happening in the daytime or nighttime.

Hi Hickory!

IMO

I agree with your last paragraph. Also,in a previous post you mentioned it could have been a 'confrontation'(i apologize i was at a loss for the right word to use,confrontation is an awkward benign noun given the gruesome nature of this crime)that escalated into a execution style vendetta. Now,as to what the 'grievance' was that is the million dollar question.

I was happy to read your procedure went well. I know your happy to have it over and be resting comfortably at home.:rose:

Hi All--I haven't posted since the Celina Cass case happened. (Hoped for quick resolution to what happened to that poor, sweet girl. I see it's still unsolved but that persons associated with case were recently arrested.) The Dermond case has my attention for a different reason. I live in northeast Georgia and am somewhat familiar with RP and Lake Oconee. I know firsthand how quickly things can go south in affluent neighborhoods. Years ago, my parents' upscale home was invaded by, believe it or not, a father-daughter crime duo who held a gun to my disabled dad's head and ransacked the house. In this case, the perps had connections to a person my folks had employed to do yard work. The daughter in this duo, a young woman, later died after falling as she tried to escape from the courthouse jail.

I've been leaning towards something like that--a person who did work for the Dermonds and then ran their mouth about what they had, their vulnerability, etc. This is why I get nervous about bringing anyone into my home to do work--even innocuous people like home health care workers, etc. The person himself/herself may be just fine, but their relatives and associates may not be.

I checked back on the Celina Cass thread and it does not show anyone has been arrested. I am curious to know who it was if you can share that information. thanks.

Being that nothing in the home was disturbed that we know of....it seems they wanted info and I think they wanted the info from Mr. D while poor Mrs. D was left to watch and then taken and murdered.

Is it possible Mr. D was shot in the head and he was decapitated because the bullet would identify the perp because the gun had been used in other crimes....
Just a thought and all JMO

AFAIK nothing was taken from the home. did they have a safe? Had they recently deposited a lot of money... I think someone was after something of value...information wise or monetary!

Yes the tax assessor does change the sketch if the property changes. Dermonds built the house in the late 90s and if they changed their mind about a garage there would have to be permits from Putnam County to construct a new one. I will stake money the sketch is correct.
Thanks!

HLN " coming up next"
Will be talking to FBI

I checked back on the Celina Cass thread and it does not show anyone has been arrested. I am curious to know who it was if you can share that information. thanks.

Oh sorry, I wish I knew where I found that. I will keep looking. (I hope it wasn't an older article posted with a recent date--thus the confusion.) The article recapped the case and talked about how her mom misses her terribly, especially on holidays such as Christmas. It also said her mom and stepdad are no longer together. The arrests that come to mind are for other things--not for Celina's murder (maybe the young man who lived with them?). I'll keep looking!

Let me make sure I understand your definition of community. You mean within the gates of Great Waters.

Since Lake Oconee residents live in two different towns, the entire lake area is sometimes referred to as the Lake Oconee community.

BBM

Yes, that's what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members