CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, I imagine he didn't give off the vibe of actually having the guts to go through with it. He probably seemed like a whiny little b@#$&, all hot air. I doubt they took him seriously.

Well, there's this and the fact they did alert authorities earlier for a wellness check:
"Elliot Rodger's parents "thought that he was vulnerable and that he might take his life or hurt himself, but not that he would hurt others," according to a family friend."

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-540907/

As for friends, who knows what all he told them. I haven't seen any detailed reports...maybe one from P.'s Mom. Other than that, only what he wrote and he didn't go all in, as far as I'm concerned...he'd say he talked to P. or J. about his fantasies but didn't say too much about what those were. 'Flaying' seemed to be one scenario, according to the writings. I also believe he had rape fantasies, iirc. I'd be interested to know what all he did tell friends. Although, I'm not too sure friends would want to say...feelings that they should have done something might prevent that...and then theres always public blame waiting on them...why didn't they say something...I remember, these were kids. I don't expect them to see signs of possible violence and report it...but it would have been nice.

bbm I would be willing to bet at least 1 in every public school in this country,usa. A few years ago I worked in a elementary school, there were 3 kids that had an aide with them from the time they got off the bus till they got back on the bus.

For what though??

I've seen kids at our school with aides. It's always been for low functioning kids with autism, as well as kids with severe mental and or physical handicaps. Kids with limitations that don't allow them to function on even the most basic level.

I find it hard to believe a kid like ER would be assigned an aide. A big part of the problem is these types of kids/people "seem normal." Normal enough at least that they don't overtly stand out. They don't present as the boogeyman, that everyone runs from screaming.

If he was living at home, people would be mad at the parents for enabling and not cutting him off. It's really unwinnable. I'm not saying they handled everything perfectly - no parent does, some more than others. But this is one of those situations where there is no way people can confidently say they would have been able to prevent this if they were raising him. People can yell about Adam Lanza's mother for allowing him firearms, or at Jared Remy's parents for supporting him financially and convincing a girlfriend to drop a restraining order, etc. A lot of people may well not have done any of those things. But it wasn't within their power to keep him at home, and I doubt many people in that situation would really have cut him off financially, whether they had that much money or not. Without hindsight, I think most parents would be quite afraid to leave such a child without any financial support, and it doesn't seem like they had much reason to think the money was funding dangerous behavior like drugs or weapons. No one could handle a child like this well - I really think he was probably not able to be helped. Anything that might have helped probably would have had to be done at a very young age, and it sounds like they did try.

I think it's a fair guess he was unpleasant to have around. Mother was likely made to wait on him hand and foot if he found it "very relaxing."

He was above chores. That was part of the issues with step mom

I was just in my car and I listen to local talk radio. The radio host was talking about ER and his murderous rampage. Low and behold, the radio host is basically quoting the various statements, views, details, all from WS. I almost drove off the road. I am in Delaware. Who knew? LOL.

If he was living at home, people would be mad at the parents for enabling and not cutting him off. It's really unwinnable. I'm not saying they handled everything perfectly - no parent does, some more than others. But this is one of those situations where there is no way people can confidently say they would have been able to prevent this if they were raising him. People can yell about Adam Lanza's mother for allowing him firearms, or at Jared Remy's parents for supporting him financially and convincing a girlfriend to drop a restraining order, etc. A lot of people may well not have done any of those things. But it wasn't within their power to keep him at home, and I doubt many people in that situation would really have cut him off financially, whether they had that much money or not. Without hindsight, I think most parents would be quite afraid to leave such a child without any financial support, and it doesn't seem like they had much reason to think the money was funding dangerous behavior like drugs or weapons. No one could handle a child like this well - I really think he was probably not able to be helped. Anything that might have helped probably would have had to be done at a very young age, and it sounds like they did try.

I agree with most of your post. BUT...I think if they would have pulled the BMW and all financial support till he accepted medical treatment, the respiridone, in particular, there might have been a chance. He was not used to roughing it like some mentally ill people. But then, maybe not. But I would have tried it. Glad it wasn't my son...hindsight is 20/20.

I agree with most of your post. BUT...I think if they would have pulled the BMW and all financial support till he accepted medical treatment, the respiridone, in particular, there might have been a chance. He was not used to roughing it like some mentally ill people. But then, maybe not. But I would have tried it. Glad it wasn't my son...hindsight is 20/20.

I think that's why he was sent off with Soumaya to Morocco. The parents and step-mom probably thought he wouldn't have as much time on the computer over there and would have to interact with other people. Maybe they were also hoping he'd see that people can live without material things that are taken for granted in the USA. It's interesting that he didn't see himself as being a lesser man when he had the car before the BMW but the minute he gets the BMW it reinforces his belief that he's superior.

Another thing that struck me with his lottery attempts were the odds of him winning big were pretty astronomical yet if he'd asked some of these girls out, the odds would have been completely stacked in his favour.

Saw this last night and found it so interesting. Lucky saw it all so differently, as did others in reports I've read. So much happened in ER's mind that did not translate to reality, imo.

This is probably going to be a common theme amongst those that knew him. Our minds typically don't go there, to actually imagine or believe that someone you knew would do such a heinous thing. As a middle aged parent, on the outside looking in, perhaps maybe. I doubt any of his contemporaries had any idea as they don't have life experiences to base it on either. JMV

IYKWIM?

... California law has provisions that permit emergency psychiatric evaluations of individuals who pose a serious threat, but that was never triggered. ...

... "Once again, we are grieving over deaths and devastation caused by a young man who was sending up red flags for danger that failed to produce intervention in time to avert tragedy," ...

... "On the week leading up to date I set for the Day of Retribution, I uploaded several videos onto YouTube in order to express my views and feelings to the world, though I don't plan on uploading my ultimate video until minutes before the attack, because on that video I will talk about exactly why I’m doing this," [ER] wrote. ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/27/elliot-rodgers-family-tried-to-intervene-before-deadly-rampage/

... California law has provisions that permit emergency psychiatric evaluations of individuals who pose a serious threat, but that was never triggered. ...

... "Once again, we are grieving over deaths and devastation caused by a young man who was sending up red flags for danger that failed to produce intervention in time to avert tragedy," ...

... "On the week leading up to date I set for the Day of Retribution, I uploaded several videos onto YouTube in order to express my views and feelings to the world, though I don't plan on uploading my ultimate video until minutes before the attack, because on that video I will talk about exactly why I’m doing this," [ER] wrote. ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/27/elliot-rodgers-family-tried-to-intervene-before-deadly-rampage/

As manipulative as he was, I wondered if it would have done any good. Personally, I wonder if his parents had thought they had all the bases covered because he had psychiatrists, therapists, social workers, etc that he was seeing. Like a false sense of security, thinking you were doing everything possible. If their fear was that he would harm himself, the part I don't understand is why he was so far away.

I think that's why he was sent off with Soumaya to Morocco. The parents and step-mom probably thought he wouldn't have as much time on the computer over there and would have to interact with other people. Maybe they were also hoping he'd see that people can live without material things that are taken for granted in the USA. It's interesting that he didn't see himself as being a lesser man when he had the car before the BMW but the minute he gets the BMW it reinforces his belief that he's superior.

Another thing that struck me with his lottery attempts were the odds of him winning big were pretty astronomical yet if he'd asked some of these girls out, the odds would have been completely stacked in his favour.

I see your point and agree that may have been the/a reason for the trip ...

But ... IIRC, he lasted a few days, cried/whined constantly, made it absolutely miserable for everybody and finally got his way when his mother chose to drop everything and flew LA to Morocco to pick up his sorry arse and take him home. - Pathetic all around! JMO

I think pulling everything would have triggered more rage and hatred. I truly believe it was damnable if I do~~damn if I don't. He was a time bomb waiting to explode :moo:

I'm beginning to think this child needed one of those harsh boot-camps for boys to help straighten him out.

Perhaps that would have helped to ID his true disorder earlier and so that none of us would be here today talking about his final atrocious actions. JMO

When it was all 4 of them.............what does one do when startled, scared,? Pull back a bit - watch him when (right after dad dismissive hand motion) body stiffed , head cocked back eyes changed) .

High functioning.....sure he told ( assessed) by mom and dad, can he handle this, reminded gently that there will be a lot of people here tongight , its ok ( and my vote gave him a xanex -they love xanex )

Their entrance seemed hurried, if only they could get to their seats, less stimulation, sitting, less hand shakes etc. They did not stop at the interaction with the male, he stopped them.

Do you have a handy link to the video you are viewing? I Googled and saw a Youtube video but it was almost just still shots. Not really a full video.

TIA!

Who loves Xanex?
When it was all 4 of them.............what does one do when startled, scared,? Pull back a bit - watch him when (right after dad dismissive hand motion) body stiffed , head cocked back eyes changed) .

High functioning.....sure he told ( assessed) by mom and dad, can he handle this, reminded gently that there will be a lot of people here tongight , its ok ( and my vote gave him a xanex -they love xanex )

Their entrance seemed hurried, if only they could get to their seats, less stimulation, sitting, less hand shakes etc. They did not stop at the interaction with the male, he stopped them.

As manipulative as he was, I wondered if it would have done any good. Personally, I wonder if his parents had thought they had all the bases covered because he had psychiatrists, therapists, social workers, etc that he was seeing. Like a false sense of security, thinking you were doing everything possible. If their fear was that he would harm himself, the part I don't understand is why he was so far away.

I find myself wondering how long he has these therapists and psychiatrists. When did that start? I can't trust the information in his "manifesto."

Our mental health care system is a joke -- even mass murderer Elliot Rodger slipped through the cracks

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...oke-even-mass-murderer-elliot-rodger-slipped/

During Sheriff Brown’s second press conference about Friday’s mass killing, he clearly implied that the purpose of a “wellness check” is to see whether someone is physically OK and has come to no harm.

That is untrue, and the sheriff had to know it. The truth is that a wellness check is performed when a mental health professional’s concern about a patient rises to such a fever pitch that he or she decides it is imperative to send police, on an emergency basis, to determine if that person should be evaluated by a psychiatrist right away – involuntarily, if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member