Found Deceased AZ - Brian Histand, 25, Phoenix, 15 May 2013

Can we pinpoint where his car and bike were found? I assume that his bike was found in or on his car. If I were a good BMX rider, I think I might enjoy riding in this rough terrain. Was that his attraction? Or was it just about the beauty of the place? I read that he took people there. So they ought to be able to tell us about his attraction to this area. In May, it would be extremely hot. Correct? Could he have gone on a hike or to camp out?

Brian's bike was found with or near his car along with his wallet and keys.
It is apparently (according to his friends and family) very out of character for him to leave his beloved BMX bike behind. Source: http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/22449638/2013/05/29/missing-brian-histand

Also, they have the exact location his car and other belongings were found, but I'm no good at making maps on my iPad. If you google "Brian Histand" you will find a good amount of detail.

Hey everyone! Still no news on Brian. His case has also touched my heart and his father has become a good friend through facebook. I have hope he is out there somewhere. Thanks so much sleuthers for caring and sharing. Let's get the word out there. Find Brian Histand!

Does Brian's dad have a theory about what happened? I tend to speculate Brian received a head injury (unbeknownst to him) and took off. But I also feel he's still alive, I don't know why, I just do.

I hope they have saturated the skateparks and such with posters usually where u see a skatepark there is also a bmx course.
these kids are street smart and would help a guy that needed help. No questions asked.

Bam Margera I believe is from the same part of Pennsylvania he was from maybe reaching out to these peeps might help find this kid. Get some national attention.

.http://www.bing.com/entities/search...=n&qpvt=bmx+parks+phoenix+arizona&FORM=MAPAGG

The kids at these parks would know who he is....probably do not know he is missing.

I hope they have saturated the skateparks and such with posters usually where u see a skatepark there is also a bmx course.
these kids are street smart and would help a guy that needed help. No questions asked.

Bam Margera I believe is from the same part of Pennsylvania he was from maybe reaching out to these peeps might help find this kid. Get some national attention.

.http://www.bing.com/entities/search...=n&qpvt=bmx+parks+phoenix+arizona&FORM=MAPAGG

The kids at these parks would know who he is....probably do not know he is missing.

They have saturated the local skate park areas per Brian's FB account. He was friends with many off them who have held events, etc. they have stickers for sale to help raise awareness, flyers too. It's like he just vanished....
Where are you, Brian?

They have saturated the local skate park areas per Brian's FB account. He was friends with many off them who have held events, etc. they have stickers for sale to help raise awareness, flyers too. It's like he just vanished....
Where are you, Brian?

Thanks PepperP!
Sad isn't it... I think he is out there drifting from place to place.
I hope they find him!

He is probably in a different state.

Bam is from West Chester, PA which is about an hour away from Langhorne. I wonder if he had a slow brain bleed or major concussion syndrome. What a shame. Hope someone sees him soon.

Thanks PepperP!
Sad isn't it... I think he is out there drifting from place to place.
I hope they find him!

He is probably in a different state.

I think you're right. He's out there drifting from place to place, and in a different state of mind. It's so sad. I think about him every day.

Marking my spot here.

I think Bam is a punk a$$ brat, but maybe he would help if approached. :-/

Brian's bike was found with or near his car along with his wallet and keys.

Per his dad's tweet on 5/25 his keys were actually found by a farmer in area of 10002 S 35th Av.

http://tweettunnel.com/mhistand

Also, they have the exact location his car and other belongings were found, but I'm no good at making maps on my iPad. If you google "Brian Histand" you will find a good amount of detail.

FYI one of GGE posts above (1/18) contains a great map link:

And finally, here is the map I've made of relevant locations, including his work, a coffeeshop he hung out at, where he was found in the alfalfa field, church he had started to attend recently, where his car was towed from, etc:

http://goo.gl/maps/lMBwX

Was browsing online to see if anything random came up about Brian and found this page. Figured since you all were spending time and effort in trying to sort things out I would help try to clarify. I'm a friend of Brian's, went to school together, rode bikes together, etc etc. I, along with my friend Niko, were part of the initial group of people searching in AZ for Brian right before his dad got out there. We left on Memorial day after 3 complete days of searching/flyering.

Some tidbits:
Brian was not heading to South Mountain to ride his bike, he doesn't ride bmx trails really, and it would be nearly impossible to ride the majority of South Mountain trails on a bmx bike. The location that his car (with bike & wallet inside) was parked is low key, serene. It was across from a vacant home or two, he wasn't in them, we checked. The neighbors in that location saw Brian, they saw him come to his car and leave (and come back again, as I recall). Some of the neighbors seemed shady, however there was supposedly a report of a rancher that Brian spoke to a week after he was missing a couple blocks away from the initial location, Brian's dad confirmed this report since the rancher had info that no one else had about Brian (i'm guessing his clothing) but everyone seems to now say he wasn't seen after his initial disappearance which I believe makes things sound more bleak. He was spotted naked praying in the field next to his car, that was the second time he was spotted naked that day, someone else talked to him earlier on in a different location and told him he needed to get his clothes back on.

My friend & I flyered from Guadalupe West across the neighborhoods that were adjacent to the South Mountain park to the point where Brian's car was found as well as the bus stops that runs east/west.

Brian's gf left AZ a couple weeks ahead of his disappearance. Brian was in Philly a week or so before his disappearance for a wedding I believe, I've heard that his father had an argument with him. I don't think either of those items are really a direct factor in the whole thing but perhaps relevant to the background of his state of mind.

Brian has hit his head before, lots of hard landings and slams, but that's fairly common with bmx especially at the level Brian rode. From what I was told, from the people who rode with him that week, he didn't have a hard crash lately. Most of the bmx riders that are friends with Brian aren't too sure about the theory of him having trauma to the point of being out of it.

Brian is very focused, on what he wants to focus. That could be a new clothing company, that could be filming for professional level bmx video edits and I kind of think that could also his new found interest in religion and maybe even a long trip? He recently had found christianity, which if you knew Brian was a big surprise for me to hear.

Brian is a people person. He has a great ability to interact with just about anyone, he's the type of person you would want to help. From the descriptions that the Co-op grill left about the person they think was Brian that stopped by occasionally, it sounds like a distinct possibility (I would follow up with them to verify their sighting).

Brian is very minimalistic. He prefers setuping up a tent instead of paying to stay someplace, doesn't mind eating some free samples and just going with the flow of things. Not having his wallet wouldn't ruin his day, and if you offered he might not turn down a free meal.

Brian said about being at Bam Margera's house (skatepark) before as they have some mutual friends. I think its in the Orchid Footwork dvd, but Brian doesn't have any clips from that day. I don't see Bam helping in this but since there is no search effort, I guess it could be worth a shot.

One last tidbit, as if you weren't tired of reading this haha. My wife and I have been discussing the whole thing for over a year now. Our theories have changed over the course of that year, and one interesting thing we've noticed is that when a sighting pops up and people flock to that area, it seem he never shows up again. The fruitless organized searches, sightings at the grocery market, the Co-op grill sightings were he supposedly showed up on Sundays at about a 2 week interval?, etc. once it was posted on Facebook, he didn't show up again.

Hopefully brian is off on some great journey of reflection and spreading the positive vibes he is known for.

Was browsing online to see if anything random came up about Brian and found this page. Figured since you all were spending time and effort in trying to sort things out I would help try to clarify. I'm a friend of Brian's, went to school together, rode bikes together, etc etc. I, along with my friend Niko, were part of the initial group of people searching in AZ for Brian right before his dad got out there. We left on Memorial day after 3 complete days of searching/flyering.

Some tidbits:
Brian was not heading to South Mountain to ride his bike, he doesn't ride bmx trails really, and it would be nearly impossible to ride the majority of South Mountain trails on a bmx bike. The location that his car (with bike & wallet inside) was parked is low key, serene. It was across from a vacant home or two, he wasn't in them, we checked. The neighbors in that location saw Brian, they saw him come to his car and leave (and come back again, as I recall). Some of the neighbors seemed shady, however there was supposedly a report of a rancher that Brian spoke to a week after he was missing a couple blocks away from the initial location, Brian's dad confirmed this report since the rancher had info that no one else had about Brian (i'm guessing his clothing) but everyone seems to now say he wasn't seen after his initial disappearance which I believe makes things sound more bleak. He was spotted naked praying in the field next to his car, that was the second time he was spotted naked that day, someone else talked to him earlier on in a different location and told him he needed to get his clothes back on.

My friend & I flyered from Guadalupe West across the neighborhoods that were adjacent to the South Mountain park to the point where Brian's car was found as well as the bus stops that runs east/west.

Brian's gf left AZ a couple weeks ahead of his disappearance. Brian was in Philly a week or so before his disappearance for a wedding I believe, I've heard that his father had an argument with him. I don't think either of those items are really a direct factor in the whole thing but perhaps relevant to the background of his state of mind.

Brian has hit his head before, lots of hard landings and slams, but that's fairly common with bmx especially at the level Brian rode. From what I was told, from the people who rode with him that week, he didn't have a hard crash lately. Most of the bmx riders that are friends with Brian aren't too sure about the theory of him having trauma to the point of being out of it.

Brian is very focused, on what he wants to focus. That could be a new clothing company, that could be filming for professional level bmx video edits and I kind of think that could also his new found interest in religion and maybe even a long trip? He recently had found christianity, which if you knew Brian was a big surprise for me to hear.

Brian is a people person. He has a great ability to interact with just about anyone, he's the type of person you would want to help. From the descriptions that the Co-op grill left about the person they think was Brian that stopped by occasionally, it sounds like a distinct possibility (I would follow up with them to verify their sighting).

Brian is very minimalistic. He prefers setuping up a tent instead of paying to stay someplace, doesn't mind eating some free samples and just going with the flow of things. Not having his wallet wouldn't ruin his day, and if you offered he might not turn down a free meal.

Brian said about being at Bam Margera's house (skatepark) before as they have some mutual friends. I think its in the Orchid Footwork dvd, but Brian doesn't have any clips from that day. I don't see Bam helping in this but since there is no search effort, I guess it could be worth a shot.

One last tidbit, as if you weren't tired of reading this haha. My wife and I have been discussing the whole thing for over a year now. Our theories have changed over the course of that year, and one interesting thing we've noticed is that when a sighting pops up and people flock to that area, it seem he never shows up again. The fruitless organized searches, sightings at the grocery market, the Co-op grill sightings were he supposedly showed up on Sundays at about a 2 week interval?, etc. once it was posted on Facebook, he didn't show up again.

Hopefully brian is off on some great journey of reflection and spreading the positive vibes he is known for.

I was hoping a friend or family member of Brian's might join our thread. So, thank you.

I'm so sorry for your situation. Brian's case has touched me, I'm not sure why, he just seems like a very sweet soul.

I have several questions for you, but I've got to get to work! I'll be back tonight.

Thanks again for posting and I'm looking forward to finding Brian!

Thank you, Phil for your post. I was wondering about the BMX bike on the trails as my husband rides a mountain bike, but we have friends that would have tried on a BMX anyway so it wasn't out of my realm of thinking. Has there been any police reports in the area of a naked man anywhere else...seems if he had been spotted twice that way, that he maybe would have taken his clothes off again somewhere else in his journey...that kind of stands out. Does the naked thing seem really out of character for him, or do you think it goes along with the freeing/religion part of his life that he had recently found? Also, is there any past signs of mental illness at all? **I am in no way saying that him finding a peace or freedom could mean he is mentally ill, just an option to consider.
Are you thinking that he is checking Facebook? I wonder if librarys have any video cameras, the library in that area where he was showing up on Sundays might be a good place to talk to someone.
He looks like someone that could fit into our group of friends very easily, so I feel a little connection to this case. Thank you for adding so much information.

Thank you, Phil for your post. I was wondering about the BMX bike on the trails as my husband rides a mountain bike, but we have friends that would have tried on a BMX anyway so it wasn't out of my realm of thinking. Has there been any police reports in the area of a naked man anywhere else...seems if he had been spotted twice that way, that he maybe would have taken his clothes off again somewhere else in his journey...that kind of stands out. Does the naked thing seem really out of character for him, or do you think it goes along with the freeing/religion part of his life that he had recently found? Also, is there any past signs of mental illness at all? **I am in no way saying that him finding a peace or freedom could mean he is mentally ill, just an option to consider.
Are you thinking that he is checking Facebook? I wonder if librarys have any video cameras, the library in that area where he was showing up on Sundays might be a good place to talk to someone.
He looks like someone that could fit into our group of friends very easily, so I feel a little connection to this case. Thank you for adding so much information.

Yeah I would have considered the same bmx aspect for the south mountain park, until I got there and navigated some of the park myself haha.

As far as mental illness, nothing diagnosed as far as i've ever heard. That said, he did have some times where he could be peculiar but that was typically when he had a few too many beers while out and about, and was typically a short lived episode. Should also add in there, Brian did not take prescription drugs. He did smoke weed here and there but that died down later on when he was out in AZ. According to his roommate once he focused on religion he stopped any kind of recreational drug use including alcohol.

Taking the clothes off didn't seem normal for him, that fact of the case wasn't given out right away at his dad's request but i think it is pertinent. I could see it about freeing himself, or perhaps he was a bit out of it, I don't know really. I only found out about it when I was in AZ at the spot Brian was last seen by police, and it made me rethink what Brian's mental state was that day.

I can't say I think for sure he actively checks Facebook, but it has been strange how he would turn up at a place a few times, then once it was posted it would cease. I'm a real estate appraiser, not a cold case detective so I guess that kind of stuff may be coincidence. I'm unsure if anyone has checked/flyered libraries, like I said that was something my wife and I thought could be a possibility.

I know there were some certain leads of people that supposedly spoke with Brian, I was thinking of maybe compiling some footage from videos of him talking to see if they could remember if that seemed like the same person? Not sure if that sounds reasonable? I know some of the leads were "dismissed" by his father (Chichi~ loccon, Co-op grill, some others) but the people were adamant of seeing someone exactly matching Brian. There was a person out there that did resemble Brian, a pic was posted on Facebook, thought it might help differentiate between the two.

It's been hard since i'm not looking to overstep my boundaries and unfortunately I haven't seen much of any direct effort from his immediate family to get anything together or to track down leads specifically especially over the past 6 months. I was very surprised that so many of you are actively discussing this case, and greatly appreciate the time and effort! I'm glad to answer what I can, or I can try to direct you to the person who could answer.

Was browsing online to see if anything random came up about Brian and found this page. Figured since you all were spending time and effort in trying to sort things out I would help try to clarify. I'm a friend of Brian's, went to school together, rode bikes together, etc etc.

Respectfully snipped by me.

I'm very happy a friend of Brian's has joined our thread. Can you become a verified insider so you can answer these questions "officially?"

Some tidbits:
The location that his car (with bike & wallet inside) was parked is low key, serene. It was across from a vacant home or two, he wasn't in them, we checked. The neighbors in that location saw Brian, they saw him come to his car and leave (and come back again, as I recall). Some of the neighbors seemed shady,

Woah, this is interesting. I hope no one harmed Brian since he seemed to be on a deeply spiritual journey, which could rub private folks the wrong way. Just a thought. Also, thanks for clarifying the wallet/keys details.

He was spotted naked praying in the field next to his car, that was the second time he was spotted naked that day, someone else talked to him earlier on in a different location and told him he needed to get his clothes back on.

I hadn't heard of the second praying session. It's obvious something moved him on an emotional level to a deep degree, IMOO.

You rock for doing this for Brian. High-five.

Brian's gf left AZ a couple weeks ahead of his disappearance.

We're Brian and his GF on good terms? I read somewhere he had a recent death in the family as well (his grandmother?) - can you confirm this? If true, it speaks to his state of mind IMOO.

I agree with his friends assessment - he's ridden so long, a major head injury would have been noticed and addressed. I have to believe this. Brian loved to ride. He wouldn't risk his health for the love of his life...

Brian recently had found christianity, which if you knew Brian was a big surprise for me to hear.

Since religion was new to Brian, do you know if there was one specific person "guiding" his teaching so to speak? It sounds like Brian got into his church and all this religion quickly. I feel like this is somehow involved with his disappearance.

One last tidbit, as if you weren't tired of reading this haha.

I appreciate your input more than you'll ever know, as well as info from your wife! Thank you for the long, detailed post.

My wife and I have been discussing the whole thing for over a year now. Our theories have changed over the course of that year, and one interesting thing we've noticed is that when a sighting pops up and people flock to that area, it seem he never shows up again. The fruitless organized searches, sightings at the grocery market, the Co-op grill sightings were he supposedly showed up on Sundays at about a 2 week interval?, etc. once it was posted on Facebook, he didn't show up again.

Interesting, to say the least. I wonder how he could/would access the internet? If that's the case, he might have a serious brain injury because it makes no sense a young man with such talent would just up and walk away from his life when he had everything going for him. IMOO.

I couldn't agree more.

If you are on a journey, Brian, could you call or email or text someone and let them know?

I've never met you, live thousands of miles away and think, worry and pray for you and your family daily. And, I'm a stranger. I can't imagine what your friends and family are feeling.

I hope to hear good news soon.

PepperP, i'll try to address those questions. Yeah the location he spoke to the police at is strangely serene but supposedly dangerous according to the locals. We spoke to the neighbors that would speak to us, and the neighbor across from the alfalfa field who saw Brian (was actually sketched out by Brian coming and going). They claimed that the rancher on the hill (very large gated property) had the chopped cars from drug runs, etc.. We were very nervous when we heard about all of that, but with my knowledge now I believe Brian did not die in that location simply due to the sightings (confirmed and unconfirmed) later on.

I don't know if there was an official split up with Brian & his gf, but essentially they were no longer together (She flew back to help with the search though, a great person). You are correct, the death was his grandmother.

Don't know of a specific person guiding him spiritually, he was going to/involved with a specific church that I don't know the name of, I think it was posted on Facebook earlier on in the investigation. They helped later on with announcing him being missing at their services. He was discussing religion online with at least one person through email, there was speculation that he might have been meeting them that day, but I think that was dismissed. I think they ruled out that the conversation was pretty casual and random, nothing about meeting up but I don't have access to his email so I don't know what all was said.

Also should add, after finding religion everyone said he seemed much more positive, he even started keeping a journal. I never saw the journal, his best friend has it I believe but from what I was told his writings were very positive and uplifting. Here's an excerpt from one of Brian's entries
"Take each day not day by day, hour by hour, not even minute by minute but moment by moment. Fill your life with love and watch it manifest. Negativity, judgement, laziness all of these are evil and ment to poison the brain. Love is where the power is, love is the way of life"

I would imagine if he wanted to check things out online he'd go to a library. Like I said I not positive he is monitoring things but its crossed my mind after a few of the repeated sightings from a location got posted, then nothing else afterwards. Could also be that he just moved in locations at just the same time though. As far as walking away from his life, I don't think Brian would see it that way. He would probably see it as his journey, and might not even realize/weigh the effect on friends/family.

You are awesome for answering all these questions.

IF Brian is on a journey of sorts.....do you think he would do this journey without bikes in his life at all? I would assume bike shops were given flyers? Ugh, how frustrating this must be for those of you that know and care about him. I hope the sightings are real and that he is just on a journey and one day his journey will lead him back to those that care about him most.

You are awesome for answering all these questions.

IF Brian is on a journey of sorts.....do you think he would do this journey without bikes in his life at all? I would assume bike shops were given flyers?

Yeah I think they touched base with a lot of the bike shops in the immediate area, and there has been an awareness in the bmx community online as well. The leaving his bike behind made things sound very bleak when I first heard, but the reports from the people in the area he was last seen was that he was looking for his keys in the alfalfa field at some point (bike & wallet were locked inside the car). At that time the alfalfa was maybe a foot high so finding the keys would have been a real task and probably impossible at night.

PepperP, i'll try to address those questions. Yeah the location he spoke to the police at is strangely serene but supposedly dangerous according to the locals. We spoke to the neighbors that would speak to us, and the neighbor across from the alfalfa field who saw Brian (was actually sketched out by Brian coming and going). They claimed that the rancher on the hill (very large gated property) had the chopped cars from drug runs, etc.. We were very nervous when we heard about all of that, but with my knowledge now I believe Brian did not die in that location simply due to the sightings (confirmed and unconfirmed) later on.

Good to know you feel he made it out of that field that night.

I don't know if there was an official split up with Brian & his gf, but essentially they were no longer together (She flew back to help with the search though, a great person). You are correct, the death was his grandmother.

Glad his GF came to search, I'm sure she's just as puzzled and heartbroken as his family.
Was Brian close to his grandmother? His mother? I ask because I've only read about his dad in terms of the search, so I was curious how Brian's mom is doing.

Don't know of a specific person guiding him spiritually, he was going to/involved with a specific church that I don't know the name of, I think it was posted on Facebook earlier on in the investigation. They helped later on with announcing him being missing at their services. He was discussing religion online with at least one person through email, there was speculation that he might have been meeting them that day, but I think that was dismissed. I think they ruled out that the conversation was pretty casual and random, nothing about meeting up but I don't have access to his email so I don't know what all was said.

I read about the Baptist church he joined, but was unaware he had befriended someone with a spiritual background.
I feel there's more to the church angle, not sure why, but I do

Also should add, after finding religion everyone said he seemed much more positive, he even started keeping a journal. I never saw the journal, his best friend has it I believe but from what I was told his writings were very positive and uplifting. Here's an excerpt from one of Brian's entries
"Take each day not day by day, hour by hour, not even minute by minute but moment by moment. Fill your life with love and watch it manifest. Negativity, judgement, laziness all of these are evil and ment to poison the brain. Love is where the power is, love is the way of life"

I can't tell you how happy this makes me - his religious interests were positive - that's a good sign I hope.
Awesome quote from Brian's journal. Thank you very much for sharing it. Funny, it was just what I needed to read/hear today. So, thank you too, Brian.

I would imagine if he wanted to check things out online he'd go to a library. Like I said I not positive he is monitoring things but its crossed my mind after a few of the repeated sightings from a location got posted, then nothing else afterwards. Could also be that he just moved in locations at just the same time though. As far as walking away from his life, I don't think Brian would see it that way. He would probably see it as his journey, and might not even realize/weigh the effect on friends/family.

I hope you're right and Brian is on an amazing journey. I hope he never feels any shame or fear of coming back due to hurting his friends or family because everyone would embrace him with open arms.

Wherever you are Brian, I'm sending you good vibes and happiness. I hope your journey ends soon and you return home.

Bumping. I remember reading about his disapperance a few days after he initially vanished. So sad he hasn't been located yet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back