The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 19th June - Trial Day 7, Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonie Mellor ‏@leoniemellor 2m

Hoskins says 1 fingernail of Allison's still attached, irregularly groomed and could cause injuries like those on GBC. #badenclay @abcnews

I haven't heard anything about fingernail scraping evidence. I hope there is something.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 15s

Dr Hoskins says he is unable to say whether one of the smaller scratches is joined to one of the larger abrasions. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins agrees that ageing of injuries is not a precise science. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins agrees he formed his opinion from looking at photographs. #badenclay

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 3m

Under x exam, Dr Hoskins says "it's impossible to say with absolute certainty" that marks on face were from fingernails. @abcnews #badenclay

Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski 8m

Forensic expert: "they might have all the hallmarks of fingernail scratches but I can't rule-out other causes" #badenclay @7NewsBrisbane

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 7s

Dr Hoskins says if it is a skin flap at the top of one of the abrasions, it would indicate a bottom to top motion. #badenclay

I think Mrs G what Hoskins was trying to say (or at least hint at) although the prosecution did not draw it out, is that the newer scratches may indeed have been self inflicted and may have been a further attempt by <modsnip> to cover up the fingernail gouges that Allison left. All MOO of course.

I am sure if he tried he would have wimped out pretty well straight away as that must have been painful. Not painful enough IMOO

I'm surrounded by males and have been my entire life. I've never seen a shaving wound like that. My Dad used the type where you put the double sided blade between two metal pieces and then screw in the handle. My brothers started with thwt type then have used various types of disposables or disposable blade types. My hubby uses the exact same razor as in the evidence photos and I've used it myself. He said that it would require a lot of pressure to inflict those injuries with a blunt razor and that it would sting immediately so you would stop. From my experience, the blade pops off if you push even slightly too hard and yet I still haven't injured myself with it. My son has had the worst shaving cut I've seen done with cheap disposables but it didn't look anything like that. He still has the scar.

10:33am
Photograph from the police examination of Gerard Baden-Clay.

Photograph from the police examination of Gerard Baden-Clay. Photo: Court Exhibit

10:33am: Dr Hoskins described the three clear abrasions on Mr Baden-Clay's face as "non-linear" and "ragged".

He said the abrasions were characteristic of fingernail scratches.

"The thing that springs to my mind is that those injuries are characteristic of fingernail scratches," he said.

"That's what we see when people are scratched with fingernails, [but] it doesn't absolutely exclude alternative explanations."

He added that the injuries appeared to be between six and 24 hours old at the time the photographs were taken.

marks15site-300x0.jpg

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352kqF6Gh

Thanks for letting me know about the two witnesses - I have been reading everything and missed it! :)

Kate Kyriacou &#8207;@KateKyriacou

Dr Hoskins agrees the injuries to Gerard's chest area are "essentially bruising" with two or three abrasions. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins says although he can't say conclusively that they are abrasions. #badenclay

Defence says another expert gave an opinion that he "could not confidently identify the abrasions referred to". #badenclay

Dr Hoskins says he spent a lot of time examining the images, enhancing them, and feels he identified some skin breaks. #badenclay

And do we know if they're witnesses for the prosecution or defence?

For the prosecution Humdinger, they live very close to GBC and Allison, prosecution did give there addresses but I dont want to divulge that here.

10:40am: Dr Hoskins said he would accept that a branch or twig could have caused such injuries.

He said a photograph of the razor, with which Mr Baden-Clay claimed to have cut himself, was "extremely important" in his assessment of the injuries.

"Firstly, this is a device that has been designed over a number of decades to prevent injury," he said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352lh0nJW

For the prosecution Humdinger, they live very close to GBC and Allison, prosecution did give there addresses but I dont want to divulge that here.

Thanks a bunch Whatif! Much appreciated!

In the USA, it takes a LOT of red tape to add witnesses to a trial this late in the game. I like the Australian justice system. To me, it seems more fair to the victim!!!

Just a suspicion that I have that haunts me every time I see the Chest scratches.

I truley suspect that GBC has smothered Allison and those scratches/bruises & burst capillaries look like she has fought for her life to try and get him off her - gripping, possibly kicking and scratching.

I know I have left the same marks while my husband and I are play wrestling (nothing kinky...I swear) but because of his strength I always struggle to get free so I do always grab, kick and scratch till he is hurt - Lucky for me its only play fighting but I really believe GBC held Allison down and stopped her from breathing..... Sorry to paint such a grim Picture :(

10:48am: Dr Hoskins also examined photographs of the injuries on Mr Baden-Clay's neck, chest and shoulder.

He said the scratch to Mr Baden-Clay's neck may have been a "scratch through clothing", although he could not rule out other explanations.

He added it was unlikely the mark was the result of "repeated scratching" such as that to ease an itch.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352lpzrFK

In the USA, it takes a LOT of red tape to add witnesses to a trial this late in the game. I like the Australian justice system. To me, it seems more fair to the victim!!!
If I remember rightly the same thing happened in the Oscar Pistorius case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong