The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 8th July - Trial Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those cups for our man too...:)

618290-338cf5f6-f069-11e3-8da8-726202433ee0.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...his-wife-allison/story-fnihsrf2-1226948779375

There is something about that chinple ..... And Cape.....(I know I know, it is a gown, but I see it as a cape today)

Morning. I've been having a self imposed break since end of court last week.. Needed it. :)
Just wanted to thank our twitter relayers- again. ANd those who have reported back from court.

I missed much of yesterdays thread here- but my gosh- have read enough and heard enough of the Rot put forward by the defence as a supposedly plausable explanation for Allisons death. I understand its their job, and what a job, reperesenting GBC. ;). But some of it really is Cr*p.. like the hairdressers appointment- the suggestion Allison took herself off to the hairdresser to make herself feel good.. It was an appointment she already had- not made on a whim, feeling down. And was it not for correction of previous mistakes on the hairdressers behalf? Won't even get started on the rest, such as walking to Kohlo, or putting GBC phone on the charger when it's suggested she was about to walk off and kill her self. How thoughtful to plug her husbands phone on to charge first!

I understand the defence doesn't need to explain how their theory all fits, just to offer enough to create reasonable doubt. Hope prosecution blows that all out of the water today. ... Now I am off to catch up on the rest of this mornings proceedings.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 28s

Fuller says Gerard had sold a house nearby. #badenclay

Fuller says Gerard could have been at the bridge quickly in the middle of the night with no traffic. Ten, thirteen minutes. #badenclay

11:09am: "Would it be less obvious if you're [parked] in a dark Captiva rather than a white Prado with damage to the front and personalised number plates?" Mr Fuller said.

The prosecution has alleged Mr Baden-Clay put his wife's body in the boot of her silver Holden Captiva and drove to Kholo Creek where he dumped her body.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-16-week-5-20140708-3bjkw.html#ixzz36ppY7Hcq

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 14s

Fuller says there have been significant changes to the bridge area since Allison's body was discovered. #badenclay

Fuller is showing photographs taken on April 30, 2012. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m
He knows the area, has been involved in the sale of a property nearby - Fuller

He needs somewhere to dispose the body - Fuller

He has to balance time to dispose body with leaving his children for too long - Fuller

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 52s
There's been significant changes in the bridge area - Fuller

Anyone would think Allison was Anne Boleyn and Gerard was King Henry Viii with all this male heir business! They would only be "Clay" had the grandparents not added the "baden" in to make them sound more important!

There is something about that chinple ..... And Cape.....(I know I know, it is a gown, but I see it as a cape today)

Thinking you are hilarious! But I have to agree.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 32s

Fuller says reviews of rainfall from April 19 - 30, 2012. Evening of April 27 to morning of 28 was the only rain. #badenclay

Fuller: So where's the mud that's going to be there on April 19? #badenclay

Fuller says there is no evidence that there would have been mud there at the time. #badenclay

Fuller is now showing a picture of the underneath of the bridge. #badenclay

Katrina Blowers ‏@katrinablowers 1m
Gerard #badenclay is taking notes in the dock as the prosecution delivers closing argument. @7NewsBrisbane

Bit late for notes now lad, it's closing arguments. Idiot.

Might be writing a note to Judge Byrne on what he thinks the judge should say in summing up to the jury....can just see him having the gall to do that

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 48s
There was rain 27 and 28 April, not on the 19th so where would the mud come from that the defence claims - Fuller

10.48am: Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC commenced his closing address to the jury.

He said it was not unknown for a person of previous good character to step outside of it and do something they would not have done before.

Mr Fuller said humankind was programmed to have an expectation as to how a person should behave.

He said Gerard Baden-Clay stood accused of murdering his wife and over the past four weeks, the jury had a window into the lives of the Baden-Clay family.

Mr Fuller said the jury had to be satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt whether he killed his wife, and if so, with an intention to do her grievous bodily harm or cause her death.

He said the court room was an artificial environment.

“At the start of this trial you were challenged about your knowledge about this case for the simple reason that your knowledge was to come from within these four walls over the coming weeks,” he said.

He said the jury was told to put aside relationships with witnesses in the trial.

“On the surface to so many of these witnesses, the Baden-Clay’s seem like the perfect couple,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

I would be more than happy to offer Mr Fuller a foot massage & lit cigar come lunch break (don't tell Mr Camp Chair) ;)

But it was just a façade. A façade which had been carried on for a long period of time.”

He said inwardly the couple was different and they were two desperately unhappy people.

Mr Fuller said Ms Baden-Clay had battled for years to keep the marriage together after being told by her husband that he no longer loved her.

He said Baden-Clay was living a double life and posited that he was looking for a way out.

Mr Fuller said the accused was deceptive and had “bravado and confidence” in what he could carry out and carry off.

“He simply presented a number of faces to a number of people, right up to the evidence in this trial, the anguished husband,” he said.

Mr Fuller said the pressures on Allison Baden-Clay had not changed for a number of years and she had been coping quite well.

He asked what had changed in the life of Baden-Clay and what pressures were brought to bear by his wife, mistress Toni McHugh and the dramas in his business.

“The Crown says the killing was a particular reaction to a set of circumstances that accumulated over time,” he said.

Mr Fuller said Baden-Clay was a man who prided himself on his achievements.

He said Ms Baden-Clay told Relationships Australia counsellor Carmel Ritchie she was a wife and a mother, while her husband said he was a chamber of commerce president and listed other community ties.

“At the end of the day you don’t have to actually decide what he did to her, other than that he killed her with that intention,” he said

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 28s

Fuller is discussing the differences in the slope now to at the time. It's now been made steeper. #badenclay

Fuller is talking about the officer who fell when they discovered Allison's body. #badenclay

Fuller says he fell negotiating a different track. #badenclay

He hasn't missed a beat yet....go Fuller QC

Mr Fuller said the jury needed to decide whether the accused killed his wife, whether he did it unlawfully and did so with intent.

He touched on the circumstantial evidence heard in the trial.

“No one has confessed to her killing so the case before you is a circumstantial one,” he said.

Mr Fuller said a circumstantial case could still be powerful, although it did not rely on a confession, and its strength lay in the accumulation of the objective facts.

“Those facts lead to an inevitable conclusion and that’s what the case is here, it’s not about isolating witnesses and discrediting them, it’s a question of what they say to you collectively,” he said.

He told the jury it should look at the evidence as a whole.

“There is a superficial attraction at looking at a piece of evidence in isolation… but it’s all about the context. We could all take a question and answer out of the pages of the evidence a witness gave… but it’s the context of everything that is said that is important,” he said.

Mr Fuller said that for the defence to suggest Ms Baden-Clay was sullen at the hairdressers was to cherry pick a piece of the evidence when she had been there the week before to get her colour fixed and planned to go to a conference the next day.

He said the hairdresser told the jury Ms Baden-Clay had been sick the previous week.

Mr Fuller said a phone call that Ms Baden-Clay made to the hairdresser at 4.38pm was perhaps consistent with her saying she was running late because there was a traffic crash.

He said the jury had to be careful about being “led astray” when looking at evidence that was not in context.

“It shows the care you need to take with respect to circumstantial evidence,” he said

Mr Fuller said a scientific officer confirmed the blood found in the Holden Captiva had a statistically 1:5600 billion chance of belonging to Ms Baden-Clay.

He said the jury had to apply the same logic to all the evidence placed before them.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 20s

Fuller suggests that the idea of mud dissipates under the bridge, where the rain doesn't reach. #badenclay

Fuller: So don't be distracted by the mud. #badenclay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member