MN MN - Brandon Swanson, 19, Marshall, 14 May 2008

Darcyline

"Oh Sh#t" is more of an accident in my mind too. Foul play or bad intentions would create a different response...."Hurry", "911", "Help", etc.

While talking to my mom on my cordless phone one Sunday, I fell through my rotten back deck. I said the very same words and dropped the phone. While I was climbing back up, I kept yelling into the phone "Mom, I'm OK" because I knew she'd worry.

Hopefully Brandon will be found soon and some of these questions will be answered.

Falling or bumping into something would produce an "Oh Sh**!" from me.

But so would seeing a figure approaching me in the dark out in the middle of nowhere.

I feel like if he fell or bumped into something, he would have been found by now. The area has been searched extensively and has turned up nothing.

What make and model phone did Brandon have; one where if he dropped it, the battery could easily pop out and disconnect the phone? What is this gravel road like where he went into the ditch? Has anyone filmed the route he may have taken, like in Maura Murray's case? The only gravel type roads I am familiar with are in Northeastern Oklahoma, where some ravines are so deep and choked with brush, it would be darn near impossible to find anything or anyone. Once, some kids found an old 1930's auto way down a deep drop off hidden by bushes and nearly overgrown with shrub and vines. Who knows how long it was hidden down there.

Touching on the theory that Brandon could've been hit by a drunk driver and his body disposed of by the driver-Wouldn't Brandon have mentioned to his Dad if a car was coming? The sound of a car on winding country road gravel can be heard way before it can be seen. Was Brandon the kind of person who would hitch-hike, especially given the circumstances that night? If so, he probably would've told his Dad he could hear a car and would put his thumb out. He could've been hit but that theory is way down on my list. What was Brandon's tone of voice when he said the expletive? Surprised? Angry? Fearful? That would help narrow down theories of what might've happened. I can't find these little details anywhere.

Touching on the theory that Brandon could've been hit by a drunk driver and his body disposed of by the driver-Wouldn't Brandon have mentioned to his Dad if a car was coming? The sound of a car on winding country road gravel can be heard way before it can be seen. Was Brandon the kind of person who would hitch-hike, especially given the circumstances that night? If so, he probably would've told his Dad he could hear a car and would put his thumb out. He could've been hit but that theory is way down on my list. What was Brandon's tone of voice when he said the expletive? Surprised? Angry? Fearful? That would help narrow down theories of what might've happened. I can't find these little details anywhere.

I don't think he was hit by a car. He may not have even been near the road. One theory is that he started walking across some fields toward the lights of a nearby town. He was lost and not at all where he thought he was. His Dad would have been able to hear an approaching car. If I remember correctly, Brandon's tone was more of a surprised/shocked one. His Dad was interviewed and discussed their last conversation.

I keep thinking he fell into an old well but you'd think by now, he would have been discovered. It isn't known how far he walked that night or in what direction (other than telling his Dad he was walking toward some lights). He really has completely disappeared.

I didn't find Brandon listed on the FBI's website under Kidnapping and Missing Persons, but found him instead under their VICAP section, this is the FBI's criminal apprehension program.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons
ViCAP Missing PersonsThe Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP) maintains the largest investigative repository of major violent crime cases in the U.S. It is designed to collect and analyze information about homicides, sexual assaults, missing persons, and other violent crimes involving unidentified human remains.

I guess I was a little surprised, as I have been thinking most people believe he'd had some sort of accident. I'm thinking now, that the FBI must believe otherwise. At the top of his poster it states "Attention: Homicide, Sex Crimes, Violent Crimes, and Crime Analysis Units" . Here it is:
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons/swanson_bv.pdf

What an odd case! Its so weird that as soon as he said oh s--t it cut out. you would think if he was attacked by a animal/person the phone would have still been on and you could hear struggle or yelling. but it just stopped dead. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere or an accident in the middle of nowhere is one of my worst fears. i think i have seen too many horror movies lol. Now i'll be thinking of this case!

Now considering the theory that he may have come upon a wild animal, such as a wolf or even a bear. This could certainly explain his surprise and expletive. And could have been dragged away from the area.

No blood, shreds of clothing, etc.? Also, kinda convenient that his phone chooses that exact moment to cut out.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I don't think the phone dying, or Brandon's expletive, have anything to do with the events that ultimately caused his death. For all we know he said "****!" because he looked down and realized he'd stepped in a cow patty.

This case is so crazy to me. I hope after all this time his parents have decided on a most probable situation and have found some peace. They seem like awesome, dedicated parents. I don't think intoxication should be eliminated and I tend to think the terrain & nighttime/being disoriented conditions ultimitely led to Brandon's untimely passing.

Thinking of him & his family!

It's been a while, but I don't remember the dogs alerting to the cultivator. :( It sure sounds like Brandon fell in the river, but was able to climb out and continued walking. Maybe he lost his cell phone in the river. I wonder where this cultivator was located in relationship to the trail that the one dog picked up and was able to follow for several miles.

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/SAR_mission_2008_02
Recently, five different certified HRD dogs gave full trained final resonses on a field cultivator sitting by the side of a field. This may or may not indicate that the body is scattered in a nearby field. This is one of the more puzzling findings.

At one point the bloodhound jumped into the Yellow Medicine River and then exited it. The handler interpreted this behavior as possibly indicating that Brandon might have fallen into the river at that point. However, the trail continued past this point to a drainage, where it continued north towards the gravel road forming the boundary between Lincoln and Yellow Medicine Counties. The dog was unable to trail any further.

One time I was tuning down a river and fell out, I was able to get back on my tube, but I almost got stuck under a rock, I wonder if he fell in and got pushed up and under a rock from the current and couldn't get out

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Leading to perhaps he is still there, but someone brought up earlier that maybe he fell into a well, that's a good possibility too

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what town he was actually heading for? Was there any town at all visible from where he went in the ditch, or was he looking at lights from a farm house? I feel so sorry for the family, I hope they have answers soon, it's been way too long :(

Hello, all, this is my first time posting here. I was first attracted to the Brandon Swanson case through cracked.com. Cold-case mysteries have always interested me and I one day want to go off into the world and do some of my own sleuthing.

I came to this site looking up more information on Brandon, and there are many more details than I originally thought - so forgive me if I still haven't gone through some because there's a lot of pages to cover.

At this point in time, I believe it is useful to be as holistic as possible. It appears that we have been focusing a lot on the actual event in the woods but not enough on outside circumstances. I'll go over them in a minute.

I first have two questions:

Brandon said "Oh, ****" before he was cut off. How did he say it?
There are many ways one could say "Oh, ****" based on what's going on. If he fell into the water, it would have definitely been spoken more animated. He could have dragged on a syllable like "Oh, shiiiit." Was it cut and dry? Just a simple "Oh ****" without pausing in between Oh and ****? Did it sound like he spotted something? All this could be moot at this point since so much time has passed, but it's still a thought.

Did it sound like he fell?
The cellphone bit bothers me for numerous reasons. If the phone had fallen, you would have definitely heard it. Cellphones are sensitive to sudden impacts or wind motions, especially since this was back in 08. Brandon could not have fallen into the river at that point because the dialtone was still going on for some time from his father calling him. This means that the call was intentionally ended and it was still in tact some time after.

Now for my theories.

1. Brandon ran into someone from the party or someone he knew with possible malicious intent.
If I were lost in the woods and found my girlfriend, I'd probably start with "Oh ****!" It's a surprising moment, you know? But this doesn't answer why he would end the call. This is where I think we should be looking elsewhere. I don't intend to paint a bad picture on Brandon, but let's say he did something at the party he was embarrassed for his parents to find out. Underage drinking, smoking, etc. He could have hung up in sudden fear of them saying something to compromise his activites from the party. Maybe this was a person he knew whom his parents did not like him seeing? It is possible then that this person would have then had some malicious intent for whatever reason - maybe stemming from the party. I know very little about if the police asked questions at the party and any details from that.

2. Brandon ran into a stranger who threatened him.
This stranger maybe already had a gun out and motioned Brandon to hush. Brandon would have still had time to say his expletive but then hung up immediately for fear of being hurt.
But if this was the case, then is there some other criminal activity like this that's prevalent in the area?

3. Brandon passed out/fell asleep and he was taken by strangers
Let's say he did fall and his phone slipped out (but this bothers me because if his father called he would be less likely to have it on vibrate or silent BUT anyway). He couldn't find his phone anymore in the dark. So he continued onward anyway. The bloodhounds jumped into the river after all during the search so maybe he either accidentally fell in or intentionally tried to cross the river. At some point, Brandon could have hit his head or tumbled down again and passed out for some time. Or heck - maybe he got tired of waiting and actually fell asleep. Then someone came down the road, saw his car, stepped off and found him and took him and his cellphone.

This all leaves me with many questions and further investigation tips. Like I said - at this point in time, be holistic.

Is there any remaining surveillance footage from nearby stores and traffic lights? Maybe you could ask if anyone there had seen him. Also footage from nearby toll booths on the highways. But again - I don't know if those things are even still archived or thrown away. Was Brandon familiar with the area or the particular road? A good idea at the time would have been to try to track the phone through the company or something. See if the signal was moving. Assuming it had a GPS like most phones now (was it a fliphone? iPhone?) Because what also bothers me is that nobody found the cellphone. What is the local criminal activity like there? Is there any journal or diary of Brandon's that could house some clue? Who were the friends who left the party right after he did? He must have had a wallet on him since he was driving - did he also have any credit cards and if so did they check any activity?

Cracked.com can be a little sensational so there are a couple things I want to make sure. One is that he was in reality far away from where he said he was, suggesting he was really lost. Two is that he said he saw lights and that he was heading for them, but in reality you cannot see any lights at night where he was. This led me to think he saw the headlights of a parked car or van in the woods, and then when he got closer a situation like my second theory unfolded.

Sorry, new to this one. I remember it but something just popped into my head. If it is true that they found where the car was stuck, has anyone ever gone to the spot late in the dark of night and looked around at all possible what you might consider town lights that he was heading for? Mark those directions and in the light of day (or even with a very good flashlight at night) walk those paths and see what you run into?
Is this possible, or done before?

I definitely think it's unlikely Brandon ran into anyone from the "party", or any other person for that matter. This is an extremely rural area, and it was in the early morning hours on a weekday. By all accounts, it seems the party was a small group of friends and police do not suspect foul play. I think he stopped at two houses, one in Canby and one in Lynd, although I'm not sure what order. Regardless, he was found near Taunton, which is 20+ miles from where he thought he was. I've read different accounts of what the lights where, but Minneota is supposed to be the most prominent light in the area, which is where the cell tower his call bounced off was located. I've also heard the lights could have been the town of Marshall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back