Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to do something special for the LE to show our gratitude for their commitment and sacrifices. Not withstanding of course anything the public wishes to do for the family. I was just thinking out loud about our unsung heroes.

BBM - Just to clarify:

"The dispute was a petty one.

The grudge that may, according to family members, link Douglas Garland to the alleged murders of a Calgary couple and their grandson was over nothing more tangible than recognition."

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as “petty.”

"However, Winter was not working with any of Mr. Liknes’s patents, he said. Mr. Kozera said the reputed patent dispute between Mr. Garland and Mr. Liknes occurred “before Alvin’s joining Winter. He never mentioned [Douglas Garland] and Winter had no dealings with this man.”

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...glas-garland-over-patent-calgary-family-says/

Thank you, Menci. I hadn't read this quote before (underlining by me). IMO this statement is important. Having your dispute/opinion/position viewed as "petty" could be even more infuriating than lack of payment or lack of recognition.

BBM - Just to clarify:

"The dispute was a petty one.

The grudge that may, according to family members, link Douglas Garland to the alleged murders of a Calgary couple and their grandson was over nothing more tangible than recognition."

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as “petty.”

"However, Winter was not working with any of Mr. Liknes’s patents, he said. Mr. Kozera said the reputed patent dispute between Mr. Garland and Mr. Liknes occurred “before Alvin’s joining Winter. He never mentioned [Douglas Garland] and Winter had no dealings with this man.”

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...glas-garland-over-patent-calgary-family-says/

It all seems a bit confusing. Alvin owned Winter Petroleum and Vecto. The patents were used with Vecto.

"Some online business directories link Alvin Liknes with several oil and gas companies, including Vecto Resource Services, Bluesky Oil and Gas Corp., and AKF Holdings Inc.

Metro Calgary has reported that his latest business venture, a small firm called Winter Petroleum Ltd., was forced to close a few weeks ago after it had its equipment seized over $800,000 in owed taxes."

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...hether-business-part-of-missing-persons-case/

"Mr. Carson said Vecto was working on a type of pump that could keep water out of oil and gas wells, allowing them to be productive for longer stretches of time; however, Mr. Liknes’s invention didn’t work out, and the plan was dropped."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

To say that the omission of an inventor's name on a patent is nothing more than "recognition" seems like an understatement. If the patent was successful, it could be sold for millions to a large oil company. Garland probably didn't view the omission of his name on a patent as "petty".

When you put it like that I see the dots connecting....thanks otto.

You forgot the $100,000 reward they were going to offer as well.

I can only speak for myself here.
If my child were missing, I would be begging, borrowing, cashing in and remortgaging if necessary. Just because 100k was discussed as a reward doesn't mean it was available as disposable income. Given even what we have heard of everyone's financial situations, fundraising is not unreasonable. A family already on edge could be destroyed by a setback of this magnitude. I have met parents of adult children who have passed away that don't function well years after the fact. While I have commented on parents, I'm certain the entire family feels a loss. I have the highest regard and empathy for Al Jr for continuing to do what needs to be done.

To fundraisers : please review bankruptcy regulations in Alberta so that the people that need support receive it. I would hate that children and parents don't have sufficient funds for counselling just because their conditions( don't allow)

however it has also been reported that DG was paid to work on the pump by AL, I maybe wrong but if your being paid you do not get recognition for your work product do you?
It all seems a bit confusing. Alvin owned Winter Petroleum and Vecto. The patents were used with Vecto.

"Some online business directories link Alvin Liknes with several oil and gas companies, including Vecto Resource Services, Bluesky Oil and Gas Corp., and AKF Holdings Inc.

Metro Calgary has reported that his latest business venture, a small firm called Winter Petroleum Ltd., was forced to close a few weeks ago after it had its equipment seized over $800,000 in owed taxes."

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...hether-business-part-of-missing-persons-case/

"Mr. Carson said Vecto was working on a type of pump that could keep water out of oil and gas wells, allowing them to be productive for longer stretches of time; however, Mr. Liknes’s invention didn’t work out, and the plan was dropped."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

To say that the omission of an inventor's name on a patent is nothing more than "recognition" seems like an understatement. If the patent was successful, it could be sold for millions to a large oil company. Garland probably didn't view the omission of his name on a patent as "petty".

however it has also been reported that DG was paid to work on the pump by AL, I maybe wrong but if your being paid you do not get recognition for your work product do you?

I think we'll have to wait until trial to get a better understanding of the contract agreement between Alvin and Douglas, but the omission of an inventor's name on a patent is a problem with the patent office. If Garland "altered" the patent, then he was responsible for the "conception" and the "inventive concept".

"It is therefore not enough to have a good idea to be considered an inventor; the inventive concept must be “reduced to a definite and practical shape”. Of course, in the steps leading from conception to “reduced to a definite and practical shape” to patentability, the inventor(s) may utilize the services of others, who may be highly skilled, but those others will not be co-inventors unless they participated in the conception as opposed to merely its verification."

http://patent-advice.ca/who-is-an-inventor-in-canadian-patent-law/

They might be in their 70s - we don't know. Douglas is 54 and he has a sister that is about 8-10 years younger.

In any case, it seems that they were on vacation at the time of the arrest, and they are alive and well being supported by people in their community.

I'm not sure this is fair. At the youngest DGs mother may be 70.
In good health, a person in their early 70s can can camp. If they are enthusiasts they may have been out of reach ( I don't think banff radio does newscasts)
Older doesn't mean debilitated

Further to the reward talk that keeps coming up...I'm quite confident that Cenovus was prepared to help fund or partially fund the initial reward that was rumoured. Early in the investigation, after the reward was dismissed by police, the company gave 25K to both Crimestoppers and missing children's society. (I know this was stated in the herald, but I can't find the article to link)

This poor family has been through so much, it's disappointing to see so much emphasis on this and the fundraising effort setup by the neighbour friend (a "legitimate" fund) While I can understand cynicism in some cases, the O'Briens have, IMO, given no reason for people to question their motives. They have always been focused on finding their family members and to my knowledge never even mentioned money in public.

I think we should just cool it about the money being raised. Give this family some breathing room. These accounts are a way for the community, friends and family to show they are grieving and that they care. We have no idea how the family will distribute the funds and frankly it is not our business. I am confident, In time, they will demonstrate how they want to keep Nathan and the parents memories alive and even when that is done it will be criticized but again its none of our business. Crowd funding is popular, it generates dollars for way more ridiculous things and attention. It also does a lot of good. This is a large family, they will need time and professional counselling and other things that they could use this money for if they so desire. They could also open up a superhero camp or support missing children organizations or hire a private investigation team to find their family. It will be criticized and again its not our business. Many people care and this is a way to demonstrate that. Before crowd funding and internet, people wrote cards, made donations, baked a casserole. Times have changed. I am confident these people will pay it forward and great things could develop from this act of kindness. They really don't need to come forward and discuss a financial plan for this money, especially now. These donations are a result of people impacted by this tragedy and have heard and folowed it thru social media, internet and media exposure. Maybe it gets out of hand, maybe it can have fall out, but it is valuable to humanity and the people who decide to donate are doing it because they want to and it can be a beautiful thing. IMO.

I think we should just cool it about the money being raised. Give this family some breathing room. These accounts are a way for the community, friends and family to show they are grieving and that they care. We have no idea how the family will distribute the funds and frankly it is not our business. I am confident, In time, they will demonstrate how they want to keep Nathan and the parents memories alive and even when that is done it will be criticized but again its none of our business. Crowd funding is popular, it generates dollars for way more ridiculous things and attention. It also does a lot of good. This is a large family, they will need time and professional counselling and other things that they could use this money for if they so desire. They could also open up a superhero camp or support missing children organizations or hire a private investigation team to find their family. It will be criticized and again its not our business. Many people care and this is a way to demonstrate that. Before crowd funding and internet, people wrote cards, made donations, baked a casserole. Times have changed. I am confident these people will pay it forward and great things could develop from this act of kindness. They really don't need to come forward and discuss a financial plan for this money, especially now. These donations are a result of people impacted by this tragedy and have heard and folowed it thru social media, internet and media exposure. Maybe it gets out of hand, maybe it can have fall out, but it is valuable to humanity and the people who decide to donate are doing it because they want to and it can be a beautiful thing. IMO.

Beautifully said

Thanks Otto, it is confusing, and I would concur, that obviously if this is the apparent motive for DG, then no, it was not considered "petty" by him, though he did receive some form of compensation, which was likely not all he wanted. We, of course, don't know to what degree DG aided AL with the patent, and if it would be considered substantial enough in someone's unbiased opinion to warrant "recognition".

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as “petty.”"

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07...y-family-says/

A petty dispute, according to a family member, who more than likely got this perspective from AL himself. The family member may not know the true nature of this "petty" dispute. AL likely downplayed DG's involvement/importance.

You took the words out of my mouth! ;

I know it seems taboo to talk about the donations, but I think it's important. Given all the money issues that have arisen with the case, and given that there are funds available, as Otto pointed out, from the government to help in these cases, and given that the parents have good benefits at work, I think it is only right to question or at least bring up the topic and discuss it just as WS discusses all other aspects of the case.

I realize that people want to help and that money is the measure of much in our society. And, given the devastating nature of the crime, naturally people want to reach out and care for the parents and family. However, there is always the thought in the back of some people's minds that this may not be the best solution.

Just because something's done with good intent, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

JMVHO Just my very humble opinion, and observations.

A lot has been said about the fundraising/donations. I think it's always a good thing to question things - it's a healthy attitude to have.

However, it should be noted that the many avenues available for government funding in criminal matters affecting victims, for example, does not happen overnight. As a matter of fact, I think many families don't probably rush to make application, and then if and when they do, the process will take some time. I believe the deadline for application is one year. For most families, I would think this might come after a lot of dust has settled, and they may have to be reminded to even make such application. I don't believe that a grieving family has this on their priority list.

So, one can better understand, that there has to be some more immediate needs, albeit, I agree with Otto's earlier post, that they work for a good company who provides what seems to be good to excellent benefits, but those good benefits, will max out in no time at all, considering just the O'Brien family: Rod, Jennifer, and Luke, in terms of counselling and therapy alone. We're probably talking in the thousands of dollars here alone.

And yes, they more than likely are still receiving their pay cheques at the present time. We don't know for how long that will be, and if the company will extend it beyond what is their norm for what are beyond extenuating circumstances. and if even on "compassionate grounds". Having said that, one would have to recognize that at some point the well will probably run dry, and we don't know if they'll be equipped to return back to work then, when, or if ever. We don't even know if the marriages/relationships will survive the devastating loss, which tears many families apart for many reasons.

I would agree with other posters, that scammers have to be watched for as well, as not all fundraising efforts out there will be legitimate.

I think we have to put a certain amount of trust in the family friend, Greg Head, as he has also now involved his brother's company in scanning the area with high tech equipment in his helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by ResearchQuest
Nathan O'Brien search gets help from high-tech helicopter
Vieworx specializes in aerial geo-referencing and high resolution photography
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pter-1.2713772 End of Quote

He would, I say, has the family's best interests at heart. I'm sure in doing so, there will be a proper accounting where the money has gone. I think if that is what turns out (and I feel it should be the outcome), people who have donated will feel assured that they indeed helped this family in their time of need in a way that was tangible for them. Perhaps not being a neighbour who lives in the community or on the street, who can provide hot meals, for example, many people just have a strong need to help and GIVE in some way. I think that in itself is commendable.
I am positive that we will see the family give back at some point in the future, perhaps in one of the many ways suggested earlier by HulaMom.

"I would feel differently if the family was directing any donations towards something specific that was special for Nathan - a bench in the courtyard at the hospital where he was born, a mural or new equipment for the school where he attended kindergarten, a scholarship in his hockey organization, an addition to his favourite neighborhood playground, etc."

In the meantime, I think we have to appreciate the fundraising efforts for what purpose it was started for - to help with their immediate needs. Despite, benefits, which may even include and cover a certain amount or portion for counselling per calendar year, pay cheques, and possible government assistance down the road, there will be many other expenses they'll need to cover right now and into the foreseeable future. Many people have to pay for counselling up front, and then wait for reimbursement by the insurance company. And, any expense that is paid for out of this effort toward the expenses of the Liknes family estate, for example, will I'm sure be accounted for in the process, and reimbursed, and so on.

The estate may take quite some time to settle, as it's not an ordinary estate settling, and in the interim, there will be "expenses". So, I suspect it may be more complicated than we know, and I'm sure legal services for a good lawyer (or two) will also be needed. Just lots of expenses you wouldn't ordinarily think about, and would be easily able to run to the bank and take money freely out to pay for without putting a hole in the family finances or what liquid cash is available. We don't know where the $100K reward that was first mentioned by RO was to come from. That could have been from a joint family commitment and pledge. They may just be in a position "right now, or very soon", where one could easily expect that there may be more money going out than coming in.

And, having just said that, I will also note: From my view of the FB pages, the family has certainly enjoyed some extensive travelling/vacations. Though, some of this may have been pre-children, or at least the two that they had together (the O'Brien's). But realistically speaking, they are a relatively young family, still in their prime earning years, but who would typically have the many expenses associated with raising a young family and having a mortgage to pay.

This case has garnered a lot of national coverage, and knowing what we know of this family, I honestly believe at some point they will no doubt create an ongoing legacy especially in Nathan's honour, that will continue to benefit the unfortunate victims of families in the future. I expect that they will undoubtedly GIVE BACK AND PAY IT FORWARD in a real, meaningful way, whether they create a foundation or trust of some kind down the road.

Sorry mods - I apologize in advance, but I don't know how to reply to more than one quote. Maybe someone could kindly enlighten me? Hmm, I got one right <scratching head>

Where is the helicopter search?

Nathan O'Brien search gets help from high-tech helicopter
Vieworx specializes in aerial geo-referencing and high resolution photography

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-search-gets-help-from-high-tech-gear-helicopter-1.2713772

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam