MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that jessica's regular shift or was she filling in for someone? Each person does things differently.

hi everyone I've been lurking but wanted to add my 2 cents. Having owned a business for 22 years and managed others since, sometimes when people work someone else's shift, they make deals, like, "ok I'll work your shift if you work mine," or, maybe in this case with the info that Dakota gave that she expected to be off earlier than usual, it went like, "yes, I'll work your shift if you can just come in and close for me." this happens a lot.

I've seen a bunch of retail theft in every way you can imagine. When I was younger, my boss put me in charge of closing one night.
One of my co-workers chose that night on purpose to have her boyfriend pull up and start loading very expensive stuff into his truck. I told them to put the stuff back and this woman laughed in my face! and said she knew I wouldn't narc her out. I turned her in and she
was arrested.

If I had followed the van because of possible theft, and did indeed see that the hatch was open, etc, after I turned around I would immediately go back to the store to see how the employee acted.

Once I worked at a place where longtime workers felt like they could help themselves to things, big and small, because they
thought they were entitled to it. When someone threatens that good thing, they can get quite vicious, especially when
this stealing pays for essential things they have literally worked into their budget. At this place, when I reported that regular theft was taking place, the thieves began reporting me for stealing. I reported an $800 mixer stolen, and they asked me if I stole it, and what

would I do if they filed a police report. I answered that I thought it was a very good idea to call the police immediately and file the report. They didn't!

all this to say, not accusing her co-workers because we can't, but, their actions are classic. Bet the owner was looking into theft.
People react differently when they think they are going to lose something, some people shrug it off and move on, others will fight fiercely, even violently for something most of us would not think was worth it--like a job at a gas station. This is NOT to look down on such a job, but most would think, hey, I can get another job like that if I'm fired for stealing over a long period of time. JMO MOO

Shortest distance between two points looks like the store manager, her boyfriend, and her brother. Something shady was going on. JH found out about it. Now she's gone.

all this to say, not accusing her co-workers because we can't, but, their actions are classic. Bet the owner was looking into theft.
People react differently when they think they are going to lose something, some people shrug it off and move on, others will fight fiercely, even violently for something most of us would not think was worth it--like a job at a gas station. This is NOT to look down on such a job, but most would think, hey, I can get another job like that if I'm fired for stealing over a long period of time. JMO MOO

In some of these small towns in Michigan there are not very many jobs. People would want to keep any job in small town Michigan then and now.

Were you local? Can't recall...
Gonna send my local friend a text to see if she has gassed up there

Yes. I work a few miles from there and have been to the station a few times. I use a credit/debit card each time I have been there and was always able to pump gas without going in or having to wait. First time was at night... after 10 pm... and was able to use my credit card then as well. Nothing unusual at all. I have never gone inside tho.

In some of these small towns in Michigan there are not very many jobs. People would want to keep any job in small town Michigan then and now.

I think the idea that Norton Shores is a 'small town' is kind of misrepresenting the area. If you are picturing Mayberry RFD or a small beach town or something of that nature... it is not like that at all. The Exxon station is across the highway from a large mall, plus Red Lobster, Olive Garden, all your fast food places, some Big Box stores, a good sized medical center, plus there are industrial parks right there..chain hotels...Meijer is a very large store ( picture a super WalMart, gas station and all... right across the highway. Muskegon is minutes away as well, with all the crime that goes with it. There are some undeveloped areas nearby, but it is hardly a 'small town' in the way I think many are picturing it. Jessica would not have been as strapped for a job as you may picture. Not that jobs are a dime a dozen in the area, but it was hardly the only option around.

I'm entirely new to this thread, but after reading the timeline and many of the posts...I'm wondering if Silver Van #1 told JH he was coming back before the end of her shift to pick her up (or what have you), and she closed up early to get the heck out of there with him.

Maybe things went south once he came to retrieve her.

What's up with the fiance and the two guys both claiming they were boyfriends of hers, either in recent days or at the time of the disappearance? That kind of stuff breeds contempt. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but other than the store owner and the shady drive-by by the manager and her husband, those are throwing up big ol' flags for me.

:cow:

Why did the store manager and her husband follow the van after it left the store if they didn't believe that a crime had occurred? Not pointing any fingers or making assumptions, just an observation.

The family has set up their own private tip line and hired a private detective after hearing from people that their tips were never followed up.

If the family and their private investigator believe information from that private tipline is credible, Homrich says they'll turn it over to police.

There is a reward for information that leads investigators to Jessica Heeringa. It's now up to $26,000.

The private tipline number is 231-222-0278, and Homrich says it's completely confidential.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/12/jessica-heeringa-tipline/13984361/

Haven't seen this yet, but is it possible that Jessica turned the pumps off on purpose to get help?

The family has set up their own private tip line and hired a private detective after hearing from people that their tips were never followed up.

If the family and their private investigator believe information from that private tipline is credible, Homrich says they'll turn it over to police.

There is a reward for information that leads investigators to Jessica Heeringa. It's now up to $26,000.

The private tipline number is 231-222-0278, and Homrich says it's completely confidential.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/12/jessica-heeringa-tipline/13984361/

Wow; $3.89 for regular? We're paying under $3.20 in NJ
Have to say; I have no clue if the family even took my tip. No reply. So; seems the same to the tip I had sent to the other tip line

Reward is $26,000 I thought it was more?

See the FJH Facebook page for a letter the administrator received from a criminal profiler-type earlier in the investigation.

hi everyone I've been lurking but wanted to add my 2 cents. Having owned a business for 22 years and managed others since, sometimes when people work someone else's shift, they make deals, like, "ok I'll work your shift if you work mine," or, maybe in this case with the info that Dakota gave that she expected to be off earlier than usual, it went like, "yes, I'll work your shift if you can just come in and close for me." this happens a lot.

I've seen a bunch of retail theft in every way you can imagine. When I was younger, my boss put me in charge of closing one night.
One of my co-workers chose that night on purpose to have her boyfriend pull up and start loading very expensive stuff into his truck. I told them to put the stuff back and this woman laughed in my face! and said she knew I wouldn't narc her out. I turned her in and she
was arrested.

If I had followed the van because of possible theft, and did indeed see that the hatch was open, etc, after I turned around I would immediately go back to the store to see how the employee acted.

Once I worked at a place where longtime workers felt like they could help themselves to things, big and small, because they
thought they were entitled to it. When someone threatens that good thing, they can get quite vicious, especially when
this stealing pays for essential things they have literally worked into their budget. At this place, when I reported that regular theft was taking place, the thieves began reporting me for stealing. I reported an $800 mixer stolen, and they asked me if I stole it, and what

would I do if they filed a police report. I answered that I thought it was a very good idea to call the police immediately and file the report. They didn't!

This makes sense. It seems like the theories in this case have been far out when maybe the perp is closer than anyone is looking.

Also, someone VERY familar with the gas station would know there were no cameras...

That area isn't really small :) Most "small" towns in MI are north of the bridge. Jessica lived not too far from the downstate region.

See the FJH Facebook page for a letter the administrator received from a criminal profiler-type earlier in the investigation.
Are you talking about the "closed group"? I guess you have to join to see it.

That area isn't really small :) Most "small" towns in MI are north of the bridge. Jessica lived not too far from the downstate region.
I guess I am thinking of all the smaller towns further north. I know jobs are scare in some of those areas.

I see a profile type article about the mini van driver, what his hair cut says, he has kids ect... is that what you are talking about? Not sure if we should even believe the description given to us about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa