GUILTY NH - Abby Hernandez, 14, North Conway, 9 Oct 2013 - #15

MOO

Coyne is using local counsel because he is not licensed in NH perhaps. We have used local counsel for things in states we have no attorneys licensed in. Particularly for existing clients or friends and acquaintances who feel more comfortable with the idea of our firm or specific attorney within it overseeing even though they know the attorney is not licensed or able to practice in the state where their concern/issue is.

In the alternative, it is possible if he is a talking head on news programs and seemed like someone who would be a good rep for the family, they perhaps hired him for his media savvy and the local counsel was needed as well for reasons stated above or perhaps to cut travel expense from Mass.

Just thoughts.

I read that, but couldn't see it in her school video, which was blurry. When her items were described, after she disappeared, they had photos of similar purse and necklace. She was seen with a backpack. Having 2 female teens and with how conscientious they are, I thought it unlikely that she'd have the National Guard bag, as well as purse and backpack... And it wasn't mentioned earlier. This is only speculation.

The National Guard bag is a backpack.

some people use tote, backpack, bag and bookbag interchangeably. Maybe something like terminology is confusing the issue?

It is difficult to see what she had in her school video photo, but there appear to be black straps stemming from each shoulder, which I would think to be from a backpack. She also appears to have had her white handbag on her right shoulder. If it was the National Guard bag, I would think, by size and design (from the Ntl. Guard bag photo) that only if it had something in it, would it be the length that her school photo depicted. If that were the case, I would think it would also appear to be cinched, which, in her school photo, it does not to be. It looks like it is her purse, and she has a backpack with dark straps. From having 3 who have graduated, I know none of them could have made it without a traditional backpack-size for their books, etc. and especially, (if I remember correctly), the video school pic was of her as she was leaving the building. I wouldn't want to think of her being returned with the Ntl. Guard bag over her head, but this is what I was wondering about, initially.

It is difficult to see what she had in her school video photo, but there appear to be black straps stemming from each shoulder, which I would think to be from a backpack. She also appears to have had her white handbag on her right shoulder. If it was the National Guard bag, I would think, by size and design (from the Ntl. Guard bag photo) that only if it had something in it, would it be the length that her school photo depicted. If that were the case, I would think it would also appear to be cinched, which, in her school photo, it does not to be. It looks like it is her purse, and she has a backpack with dark straps. From having 3 who have graduated, I know none of them could have made it without a traditional backpack-size for their books, etc. and especially, (if I remember correctly), the video school pic was of her as she was leaving the building. I wouldn't want to think of her being returned with the Ntl. Guard bag over her head, but this is what I was wondering about, initially.

Do you have a link to the photo you are looking at? All of the ones I have seen are seriously grainy and I can't see any detail of straps.

RSBM. No, it changes nothing, and even if it was directly false it does not change the facts that Abby was 14 years old and therefore could not legally consent to a) being kept away from her parental home, and b) any alleged sexual relationship with the defendant. Seriously, are we going to now give grown-*advertiser censored** men a break for forming illicit relationships with young girls under the age of consent if the silly young thing DID in fact 'think she was in love' or 'ran off with him?' Because really, now, exactly what else is implied by 'Abby could have had a hand in her own disappearance'?

And btw, that is NOT what I think happened, I think Abby was grabbed and imprisoned, and that isn't because what the lawyer said today--as another poster said unthread that is based on my own reading of the facts & circumstances.
My comment in no way was referring to actual guilt or innocence on anyone's part. I think that it is entirely possible she experienced exactly what the lawyer spokesperson said she did and that the accused should rot in prison for it if true. However, I do not believe its true just because the family lawyer spokesperson said so, just like Kibby's claim of innocence means nothing just because he said it.

I can't see a link. It was posted by WMUR.com. The only pics of this appear to be the same one and grainy, but you can see the straps, and general shape go the light colored item hanging from her right shoulder. I just selected her name and images to find it. I'm sure you're seeing the same pic as well. It is grainy.

My comment in no way was referring to actual guilt or innocence on anyone's part. I think that it is entirely possible she experienced exactly what the lawyer spokesperson said she did and that the accused should rot in prison for it if true. However, I do not believe its true just because the family lawyer spokesperson said so, just like Kibby's claim of innocence means nothing just because he said it.

OK, fair & square.

PiM, no harm, no foul, I know you and your good intentions from other cases. <3

I'm now muddled about attorneys and if one is licensed to practice in one state, can he practice in another...new question for you! :eek:

An attorney, licensed in Massachusetts, cannot use that license to practice in another state. An attorney may be licensed in more than one state.

I don't think anyone needs credentials to be a spokesperson for the family of a victim of a violent crime. The family friends were doing it prior to attorneys. I do think if an atty is hired, though, they probably need to be licensed to practice in that state. Which makes me wonder Coyne is doing this for them for no pay (as did their friends before him).

The unauthorized practice of law is not permitted; even if the work is pro bono.

I can neither speak to Coyne's qualifications nor his arrangement with Abigail and her family.

links for my post upthread:

A police sketch shared Thursday shows a man who authorities say drove Hernandez away from Conway, New Hampshire
http://www.people.com/article/abigail-hernandez-suspect-sketch-released

Based on Abby's description, authorities released a sketch of the man she says drove her away last October year, but they're still trying to determine whether she went willingly or was coerced.
http://www.wcvb.com/news/few-answers-after-abigail-hernandez-returns-home/27161380#ixzz3AK3HCbSG

She also said she believes her daughter did not run away and didn't know the man believed to have driven off with her.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/arrest-made-in-disappearance-of-new-hampshire-teen-abigail-hernandez/

Ruben Hernandez is overjoyed that Abigail is finally back with her mother, unharmed
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rious-disappearance-return.html#ixzz3AK6q92eW

Nathaniel Kibby, the man accused of kidnapping North Conway teen Abby Hernandez, must have released her unharmed in a safe place
www.conwaydailysun.com/.../115683-kibby-mus...

"Our biggest challenge is we're dealing with incomplete information," Kieran Ramsey, assistant special agent in charge of the Boston Division of the FBI, said.
http://www.latinpost.com/articles/1...y-missing-new-hampshire-teen-deteriorated.htm

The unauthorized practice of law is not permitted; even if the work is pro bono.

I can neither speak to Coyne's qualifications nor his arrangement with Abigail and her family.

So far as I can tell, he hasn't appeared as a lawyer thus far. I cannot imagine that a lawyer, or any other sort of person or profession, could be limited in the jurisdictions in which they could appear as a spokesperson.

So far as I can tell, he hasn't appeared as a lawyer thus far. I cannot imagine that a lawyer, or any other sort of person or profession, could be limited in the jurisdictions in which they could appear as a spokesperson.
Right. The unauthorized practice of law is prohibited. The role of a "spokesperson" does not, by itself, implicate the practice of law.

I think a dangerousness determination is typically separate from a bail determination? But I often see them referenced together so I'm not sure. Bail is just about whether you will show up or not for your next hearing or run. We don't really use it that way anymore, but that's the point of it. But if the punishment really is only seven years, then that does seem really high, especially given how little has been presented and how few resources he has. I'm sure the outrage towards this guy influenced the judge's decision - no one wants him out, but it's still really high. I feel like there have been several cases I've read about lately where police seem to take an oddly long time bringing the initial charges. I'm not sure what that's about. Obviously they should investigate thoroughly, but it's not that hard to bring charges and they can be changed.

An attorney, licensed in Massachusetts, cannot use that license to practice in another state. An attorney may be licensed in more than one state.
Thanks--I was pretty sure that was true, but was open to learning about an exception.

Looks like my hunch may be correct then--he's being their spokesman but not in a paid, professional sense.

ETA: and if he's not licensed in NH (the online site upthread only lists a MA license as of July 29, 2014) it would seem he's not a "pro-bono legal partner" of the NH firm which is "also helping" (as the csmonitor article below suggests). I think I'm maybe beginning to see some of his media skills at work.

Coyne told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he &#8220;would expect that there will be further charges consistent with the evidence in the case.&#8221;

Coyne said they put out the statement to shield Hernandez and the family from the intense interest her case has generated. &#8220;They&#8217;re being inundated with media requests, and many up to now have not respected her desire to deal with this privately,&#8221; Coyne said.

Coyne said Hernandez is getting professional help, but he declined to discuss details.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/08/13/lawyers-teen-suffered-numerous-acts-of-violence/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back