Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #10 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margarita25, I always tell kids they shouldn't talk to strangers! One kid said to me, "but you have such a cute dog!" and I said, "some people use cute dogs in order to find a kid to steal. If that happens you might never see your family again. It is dangerous to talk to strangers!" It may not be the best way to handle things like this but I'm all for being direct and honest. If they go home and tell their parents on me, great, because I hope it opens up a very important discussion!

I'm not sure this is a great idea. IMO going to the parents would be much wiser. If you say that to a child that already has anxiety or nightmare problems you could do far more harm than good.

I focused less on the stranger danger aspect and tried to teach my kids to become more socially smart. Because some strangers are good people and some aren't. And if my child got lost, they would need to approach a stranger at some point. So I told them to go up to a store clerk but never go anywhere with them. Just stay with the clerk by the front of the store with the other clerks. If we were not in a store and you get lost, go up to a woman with kids. Because she is a mom and other moms will help you and keep you safe. Never go up to a man. Because he might be good but he might be a person that hurts kids.

When they were with me and a stranger talked to us, I emphasized that it was all right to talk to strangers when I was with them. If I was not with them, and a stranger came up to talk to them, they were to back up turn and run away especially if they were somewhere by themselves. After a stranger spoke to us, I would talk to them and remind them of all of this and we would break down why it felt OK in that situation. Because I was with them, because other people were around, etc. i wanted them to get an idea of how to make smart decisions about strangers rather than fearful of everyone.

A few years ago, there was a young Boy Scout who was taught about stranger danger to the point that when he got lost on a hike with his troop, it took the searchers longer to find him because he stayed hidden as strangers were calling for him. This happened in the local mountains and was all over the media in my area.

I'm not sure this is a great idea. IMO going to the parents would be much wiser. If you say that to a child that already has anxiety or nightmare problems you could do far more harm than good.

Or you could say that they need to ask their parents if it is ok to talk with you because you are a stranger.

I think it is excellent if people reinforce the idea of not talking with strangers.

I thought I would never say these next words, but after getting through Teghan Skiba's 10 day horror a few months ago, I think I can say it: I don't think we will ever see anything worse than the Skiba case. Her monster, at least, is sitting on Death Row in NC. He may live forever because I do not think he is human. He needs his own special he!! -- very few people will qualify for that level of torture and pain, even in he!!. Just my O.

Well said, thank you borndem!

Teghan's case made me realize just how difficult and confusing it can get when trying to pigeon-hole a vicious killer's actions – was he a pedophile who took his sickness to the extreme or was he a sadistic sexual predator who saw an opportunity to live out his twisted fantasies on someone weak and vulnerable?

I'm now asking myself those same questions about GG. All I know for sure is had he not been caught he would have gone on to assault more vicitims.

In a little while I'll be heading over to a town not far from Jenise's home to play in a music session with friends. It's something I always look forward to but there's a little black cloud hanging over me today. I'm so sorry Jenise and her monster ever crossed paths. :(

A few years ago, there was a young Boy Scout who was taught about stranger danger to the point that when he got lost on a hike with his troop, it took the searchers longer to find him because he stayed hidden as strangers were calling for him. This happened in the local mountains and was all over the media in my area.

That is the problem exactly of working with kids. They do not have the cognitive skills to apply to situations.

That is why children need parents and adults in their lives until they are fairly ready to leave the nest.

Sounds like we need a Color Purple thread for all our babies :(

I think that's a lovely idea, SCHMAE.

Just to elaborate off topic on Whitney Heichel a little bit. She was 21 in 2012 when she was abducted and murdered by a neighbor in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. Whitney came from a large family and her nickname was "Mama" as she took great joy in helping look after her littler siblings and her nieces and nephews. Just married a bit over a year, she and her husband had yet not started their family. It warms my heart to think that wherever they are on the other side, Whitney might be mothering the little purple lovers like Teghan and now Jenise.

One day not long after Whitney was murdered, Sasquatch shared some photos on Whitney's thread, so that other WSers could get a better visual of the environment where the crime occurred (maps only can tell you so much). I noticed in one of the photos there were several lovely lavender orbs. The photo was taken on what turned out to be quite a significant day with respect to Buddhist philosophy about what happens to a person's spirit after they die. I remain convinced that those orbs were part of Whitney's spirit, departing for other planes of existence. Most all the flowers we eventually planted in her garden are purple, as a way of honoring and remembering her.

I have a bunch of purple flowers, butterflies and angel pics from an app if anyone needs one.

ETA: Just tell me what you would prefer.

I haven't caught up on this new thread but just finished the last one. I'm a little confused. The last few pages of preceding thread were mostly all about GG having a brain injury, or at least discussing what brain injuries can lead to. Did I miss this becoming fact? The last I heard he had just posted a silly video on YouTube and a lot of folks assumed he was the one with the injury? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much! I haven't caught up on this new thread yet, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

I haven't caught up on this new thread but just finished the last one. I'm a little confused. The last few pages of preceding thread were mostly all about GG having a brain injury, or at least discussing what brain injuries can lead to. Did I miss this becoming fact? The last I heard he had just posted a silly video on YouTube and a lot of folks assumed he was the one with the injury? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much! I haven't caught up on this new thread yet, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

It has not been documented there is any brain injury. It was all speculation in hopes of coming to understand the how/why he did what he did.

No. Posters are looking for causes of someone doing something so heinous as this and it was speculated that maybe he got a brain injury from wrestling since he apparently got his nose broken once and blacked out. So a discussion ensured about what a TBI could do to a person that would change their personality to where they might do something like this to a little kid. It's all speculation as we try to come to terms and understand what would make a young person like this do what GG did. That's all.

If GG, in fact, suffered a brain injury I don't believe he would be medically cleared to continue wrestling or playing football. (And even if he had an injury that is still no excuse for what he did.)

I was visiting my daughter's family (at a state-side military station) after my daughter had recently had the "stranger danger" discussion with her then 3-year old daughter. We congratulated each other as we thought the conversation was received quite well. My already conscientious, courteous, responsible (but a bit too out-going) granddaughter seemed as though she understood. So her mother and I were shocked when, after my granddaughter's doctor's appointment, she boldly approached a strange young soldier in the pharmacy waiting room and struck up an animated conversations with him. She must have remembered the fresh conversation, as she paused to look to us and say, "Don't worry, Momma, I asked him and he said he had a good heart so he's no danger-stranger." The young Marine confirmed that, yes, indeed, she had interviewed him.

So unfair that we have to squelch so much of that beautiful innocence that they are born with ~ but for their safety, we must! Finding a balance can be a challenge.

Miss my grands ~ they're in Belgium, now.
:loveyou:​

Thanks for clearing that up for me! It's hard to just accept that a person, especially a young person, could be so evil to do something like this. I'd like to think that something was horribly wrong with GG, too. All I know is this is the way of our world and has always been. Some days I wonder why things are the way they are but I have never been able to come up with a good answer. Some say if we never knew misery we would never know joy, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I'm all up for a world with just joy.

"Don't worry, Momma, I asked him and he said he had a good heart so he's no danger-stranger." The young Marine confirmed that, yes, indeed, she had interviewed him.

So precious!

That is the problem exactly of working with kids. They do not have the cognitive skills to apply to situations.

That is why children need parents and adults in their lives until they are fairly ready to leave the nest.

Wished I could have hit the Thank You Button a hundred times!!!! muah!

OMG. That poor little girl. That may be the worst thing I've ever read about.

Teghan, yes, SuperTmo -- without a doubt. But we stuck with it and witnessed for her, so to speak. The judge wisely would not let it be streamed -- could you imagine? But it was tweeted fairly thoroughly. The locals in the group hung purple ribbons after the trial. They asked if they could hang the ribbons right away, and the judge (wisely again) said to wait -- he did not want to risk any scintilla of anything influencing the jury, etc.

Is there a word beyond monster?

He's sitting on Death Row in his red jump suit right now:

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi...turl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1

end O/T

My DH and I are shouldering 70. We love children, miss our grands, do a bit of tutoring after school through the church and are always happy to interact with children. But I find myself often holding back (and warning my DH), understanding that both parents and children should have their guards up with strangers. It really is sad, isn't it, that people like GG can rob so much innocent joy?

If GG, in fact, suffered a brain injury I don't believe he would be medically cleared to continue wrestling or playing football. (And even if he had an injury that is still no excuse for what he did.)

No one was excusing anything. No one was even trying to explain why he did what he did. All we were trying to do was to discuss what may have put him at risk for this behavior.

In recent times, it has been found that children in HS football suffer far more brain damage than it was ever previously thought, and the bulk of this goes undiagnosed. I would never in a million years allow my child to play football. Ever. The evidence of harm is clear and it is long term damage.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...ports-without-concussions-20131211-story.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...football-players-face-bigger-concussion-risk/
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/scho..._found_in_six_former_hs_football_players.html
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/

My DH and I are shouldering 70. We love children, miss our grands, do a bit of tutoring after school through the church and are always happy to interact with children. But I find myself often holding back (and warning my DH), understanding that both parents and children should have their guards up with strangers. It really is sad, isn't it, that people like GG can rob so much innocent joy?

My children are all grown but I guess I was brought into reality when I began teaching Sunday School. I realized that there were cameras in every room of the education building. I never dreamed it was that far reaching but I was certainly shocked into reality that first Sunday. I will say that in the beginning I was very aware of the camera and somewhat nervous about what I said. You never know what is going to offend a parent. I was teaching 1st and 2nd graders and they were a handful. Many times it was difficult disciplining them because you didn't really know what you could say or what you could do.

I finally decided that the Lord had entrusted me with 3 boys of my own so surely he trusted me to teach these other children. After that realization I calmed down and really enjoyed the kiddos. jmo

No one was excusing anything. No one was even trying to explain why he did what he did. All we were trying to do was to discuss what may have put him at risk for this behavior.

In recent times, it has been found that children in HS football suffer far more brain damage than it was ever previously thought, and the bulk of this goes undiagnosed. I would never in a million years allow my child to play football. Ever. The evidence of harm is clear and it is long term damage.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...ports-without-concussions-20131211-story.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...football-players-face-bigger-concussion-risk/
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/scho..._found_in_six_former_hs_football_players.html
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/

In the studies I have seen, they have said the head injuries make them MORE at risk...possibly. The risk was already there, but it could possibly make them even more so. I have not found a study on juveniles, that shows head injuries creates the risk. Only increases it. That is a very, very big difference. So far, no studies that I can scour for have been able to show if head injuries indeed cause and create the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member