MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Louis police chief and some officers at odds over bigger pistols, personal rifles
July 22, 2013
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_71a29626-df69-50a4-a662-1d8e38564aea.html

In April 2012, the police academy and the police union tested five different types of bullets, which included firing them into ballistic gelatin. A slug must penetrate the gelatin at least 12 inches, but not past 18 inches, for it to be considered effective, according to FBI standards.

The 9 mm round failed the test, with the .40-caliber and .357-caliber rounds performing the best. The union agreed to endorse the .40-caliber, saying the .357 would be too expensive, Bonenberger said.

St. Louis police officers carry a double-action-only version of the Beretta 92 semi-automatic pistol.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/we...ficers-lobby-chief-for-firepower-upgrade.aspx

That is a 15 + 1 round capacity in that firearm. jmo idk

That pause is 2-3 seconds long. So they are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Well...I am not 100% sure I agree with you on the pause being a molehill, because we do know that intent to murder can be formulated (by law) in literally a second or two. Now that said, if it is verified, it is literally just one piece of the puzzle, but can certainly serve as corroborating evidence, one way or the other.

anyone heard about this? 20 black males beat a white former marine?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-case-attacked-mob-20-people-parking-lot.html

Severely beaten now suffering brain damage.
wheres the outrage?

I saw this story on FB yesterday. The black guys intentionally followed the two white men with one purpose in mind: Vengeance for the shooting of MB.

However, LEO [law enforcement officer(s)] state this was not a hate crime. I call BS on that determination.

moo and all that jazz

St. Louis police chief and some officers at odds over bigger pistols, personal rifles
July 22, 2013
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_71a29626-df69-50a4-a662-1d8e38564aea.html

In April 2012, the police academy and the police union tested five different types of bullets, which included firing them into ballistic gelatin. A slug must penetrate the gelatin at least 12 inches, but not past 18 inches, for it to be considered effective, according to FBI standards.

The 9 mm round failed the test, with the .40-caliber and .357-caliber rounds performing the best. The union agreed to endorse the .40-caliber, saying the .357 would be too expensive, Bonenberger said.

St. Louis police officers carry a double-action-only version of the Beretta 92 semi-automatic pistol.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/we...ficers-lobby-chief-for-firepower-upgrade.aspx

That is a 15 + 1 round capacity in that firearm. jmo idk

Idk nothing 'bout guns....how does Wilson's weapon compare the weapons used in test the test? And it seems to me based on the test 15" depth isn't effective enough?

So Crump and Parks have been hitting the news circuit the past 2 days, and it seeems that besides the 'gamechanger' audiotape, the other main topic is ALL OF THE CORROBORATIVE WITNESS TESTIMONY. Crump says the witnesses by themselves should be enough to have OW arrested immediately.

BBM above: his lack of legal knowledge totally scares me !

I'm surprised there is such little attention given to the the detail that both the witness Paige or whatever her name is (sorry) and DJ said that MB was falling to his knees as he was raising his hands and getting shot again.

So how can he be falling to his knees and "charging" at the same time?

Someone who is about to charge is going to be standing up. How can you feel threat from someone who is slumping to his knees?

Two witnesses said that same thing and they said it right after the killing.

We are still waiting to hear what OW says, and at this point, frankly, he's had weeks to come up with a story that takes into account what the other witnesses say as well as what videos show and what the new audio tape shows. So talk about being able to tailor your story to the evidence. I'm not saying that's what will happen, I'm sayiing the other witnesses spoke up right after the murder, so they didn't have time to change their stories or tailor their stories.

Having said that, we the general public don't matter. What matters to OW is going to be just the 12 people sitting on his jury, if it gets there. So I think it's actually smart of him NOT to talk.

JMO.

Some days earlier on Greta's Show, Ted Williams (former LE officer/attorney) walked the route MB and DJ took from the robbed store to home:

video: http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com...michael-brown-took-before-his-fatal-shooting/

Only watched the beginning as far, because Williams said something that got my attention as he left the liquor store/market for Canfield Dr.:

"They [MB/DJ] were walking away from the liquor store ... They did not see this as a robbery, meaning Michael Brown at the time. I think Michael Brown's mind was that he had walked into a store, and that he had taken these cigarillos, and that was the beginning and the end of if. [???] And it wasn't like he had stolen money. It wasn't like he had put a gun to the clerk's head. So I don't think he saw this, meaning Michael Brown, as a big deal [!!!]."

If that's true, Crump, Inc. should have encouraged the Brown family to forget the "gentle giant scholar" meme and gone with the "rode the short bus to school" meme. Seriously, is it remotely possible that the "stealing is no biggie" mentality Ted Williams so blithely expressed could be the norm in that community?

I'm curious about something. For anyone saying that Wilson was unjustified in the shooting of Brown, what do they think would have happened if Wilson had allowed Brown to flee the area without stopping him? We already know that Brown had previously (10 mins before) strong armed and stole from a quick mart owner. We also know that Brown was aggressive towards Wilson. If Wilson had allowed Brown to flee from the scene, and Brown attacked someone else in the neighborhood (possibly causing more damage than what he had done to the store owner and Wilson), would Wilson be blamed for not stopping someone that was clearly in the state of mind to cause harm to others? Would the public be shouting for Wilson's head (still) if Brown had injured and/or killed someone after the encounter with Brown?

I also don't understand how anyone can claim that the strong arm robbery that was 10 mins before the encounter with Brown has no bearing on the encounter with Brown. However, even if we take away the strong arm robbery that Brown committed, Wilson was still justified in the shooting if Brown was coming at Wilson. A police officer has as much right to protect themselves and fire in self defense as anyone else.

MOO

If eyewitness versions matched up step for step, I'd have a much bigger concern. Frankly, I think if you piece them all together, along with what we think we know of the cop's version, I don't know if there is a whole lot of differences.

*Cop approached them about being in the street (DJ, FPD and cop's wife's friend all say this)
*There is some question to if the cop moved on and came back or not, but I'd suggest there's not a lot of meaning either way. (DJ and cop's wife's friend say this)
*There was a confrontation at the car. I think most either say this or don't say either way. The nature and extent of that is unknown at this point, though we've heard descriptions from both sides.
*There was a shot fired from within the car. DJ and PD agree.
*MB disengaged the officer, moving himself at least 35 feet from the car. I think everyone agrees with this.
*The officer exited his vehicle and fired as MB was disengaging/fleeing but no bullets struck him in the back
*MB stopped fleeing at some point and turned back to the officer.
*MB was shot several more times.

I'm sure I'm missing something but those basic facts, don't they all pretty much agree on? Obviously the big facts where there will be disagreement is what was MB doing after he turned around.

What is PP if I can show my stupidity again? And what tough questions do you want me to ask? I'd be more than happy to discuss.

Brought this over from the other thread. Sorry for delayed reply, was just too tired to hunt it down last night.

First, PP is the Political Pavilion where I normally hang. I'll save this tangent discussion for another day. You are certainly not stupid, so no worries there!

As to the meat and taters of your reply...

I agree with first two bullet points.

On the third bullet point, agree for the most part, but only DJ and OW (so far) saw this thing from the onset, so there are questions here.

On the fourth bullet point, agree with this, but I do have a question as to whether FPD based their statement about shot in car on DJ's statement, Wilson's, both, or evidence in the car.

On the fifth bullet point, this is where things get real murky for me. I'd like to know where the 35 ft. conclusion came from and the witness accounts about the disengagement and running have no bearing for me. Explain why below.

On the sixth bullet, I agree no bullets struck him in the back. The how and why of Wilson exiting the car and firing are to me, unknown quantities. Again, explain why below.

Agree with last two bullet points.

The reason why the stuff in the middle are still open questions for me is quite simply, I do not believe that Crenshaw, Mitchell, and Brady's accounts are believable. I haven't completely dissected Brady's account because of a lack of time to give specifics why. However, I have done so for Crenshaw and Mitchell on posts #26 and #53 on the link below. Please read my thoughts and the related excerpts they are based on if you are interested.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...el-Brown-*Media-Timelines-Maps*-No-Discussion

I'll stop it here for now, just wanted you to know two things. One, I don't discount witnesses supportive to Brown because I want to believe one version or the other, as I still couldn't vote either way based on evidence we know for a fact if I were a juror. Two, there are only three witnesses that I believe have any merit at this point. DJ, whose statements are extremely shaky. Josie, who gave the officer account. And the guy no one has wanted to talk about, the bystander in the Black Canseco video who corroborates a "Mike was coming at him theme". In order for me to fully give my take on this, I have to step back and start from scratch at how my opinion has been formed. Given there is so much info the group here has discussed, it's difficult to do it any other way without appearing to have a desired outcome. I don't expect to change minds, I only hope to gain credibility and comprehension of how I assess things through logic and intellectual analysis of the information. If I gain that, perhaps people will see information in a new light, which for me is the purpose of participating in a case like this. I have seen info in a new light based on thoughts you and others have provided and adjusted what I think accordingly. Only issue I have is that some (not you) don't seem interested in going about things that way, it's what they believe in spite of what is discussed. Everything has an alternative explanation, which I have no problem with so long as it is logical and practical. Sorry to be so wordy, will try to be more brief if you desire going forward.

Biggest divide between the two schools of thought is assessment of witness accounts, so my ask is that you browse my thoughts on Mitchell and Crenshaw and review the bystander statement from the street video, I am sure someone can link if you are not intimately familiar with it. Thanks for the interest in discussing!

I'm surprised there is such little attention given to the the detail that both the witness Paige or whatever her name is (sorry) and DJ said that MB was falling to his knees as he was raising his hands and getting shot again.

Someone who is about to charge is going to be standing up. How can you feel threat from someone who is slumping to his knees?

We are still waiting to hear what OW says, and at this point, frankly, he's had weeks to come up with a story that takes into account what the other witnesses say as well as what videos show and what the new audio tape shows. So talk about being able to tailor your story to the evidence. I'm not saying that's what will happen, I'm sayiing the other witnesses spoke up right after the murder, so they didn't have time to change their stories or tailor their stories.

Having said that, we the general public don't matter. What matters to OW is going to be just the 12 people sitting on his jury, if it gets there. So I think it's actually smart of him NOT to talk.

JMO.

BBM-Just because we haven't heard OW's side of the story, doesn't mean he hasn't given it to the authorities. :thinking:

BBM-Just because we haven't heard OW's side of the story, doesn't mean he hasn't given it to the authorities. :thinking:

I think it is a sure fire bet that he has already given his version to authorities. There is no way that they (the authorities) are not going to do this investigation by the book. At this point in time, we the public have no need to know exactly what Wilson's version is. The "case" is being given to the Grand Jury. Once that is over, and only when that is over, will the general public know all of the information that was collected.

MOO

I'm curious about something. For anyone saying that Wilson was unjustified in the shooting of Brown, what do they think would have happened if Wilson had allowed Brown to flee the area without stopping him? We already know that Brown had previously (10 mins before) strong armed and stole from a quick mart owner. We also know that Brown was aggressive towards Wilson. If Wilson had allowed Brown to flee from the scene, and Brown attacked someone else in the neighborhood (possibly causing more damage than what he had done to the store owner and Wilson), would Wilson be blamed for not stopping someone that was clearly in the state of mind to cause harm to others? Would the public be shouting for Wilson's head (still) if Brown had injured and/or killed someone after the encounter with Brown?
I also don't understand how anyone can claim that the strong arm robbery that was 10 mins before the encounter with Brown has no bearing on the encounter with Brown. However, even if we take away the strong arm robbery that Brown committed, Wilson was still justified in the shooting if Brown was coming at Wilson. A police officer has as much right to protect themselves and fire in self defense as anyone else.

MOO

Often times fleeing felons will even take hostages in order to try to escape arrest - he already allegedly used force against the officer. Any officer who would allow someone who just assaulted them and tried taking their weapon from them to just run off into the street would be completely and utterly derelict in their duties. It is HIS job to stop that suspect any way they can, and often times, that includes the use of deadly force.

Witness Statements and the media

You may discuss the case with anyone you wish. The choice is yours, but it is not always a good idea. Be sure you know to whom you are talking when you discuss the case. If a defendant approaches you and you find this upsetting, please tell the Antitrust Division attorney immediately. While you may discuss the case with the media if you wish, we encourage you not to do so since you are a potential witness in a criminal case and the rights of the government and the defendant to a fair trial could be jeopardized by pre-trial publicity.

In the interest of ensuring a fair trial, after you have testified in court, you should not discuss with other witnesses what was said during your testimony until after the case is over. Thus, please do not ask other witnesses about their testimony or volunteer information about your own.

More at link:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/victim/vwhandbook.htm

My question is all attorney's know this so why would they permit their clients to give a public statement to the media when they know it will interfere with the investigation? It's not as if the witnesses are defendants.

JMO.

At least in her first three interviews, Piaget never says anything about slumping or falling to his knees and being shot again. If she did in subsequent interviews, I would question why that wasn't in her first account. In the first interview the day of the shooting, she said, "I witnessed the police, um, chase after the guy. So, of course, he was unarmed, he ran for his life, they shot him and he fell. He put his arms up to let them know he was compliant and that he was unarmed and they shot him twice more and he fell to the ground and died."

If you want to review her early statements, they are on post #53 of the media thread. I think you will find it quite interesting. I don't think she saw a single part of this, but I will save why for another time. Just wanted to point out that her first version of things has MANY holes.

RSBM

To be fair, just because he hasn't gone to the media, doesn't mean he hasn't given a statement. I'm sure he HAS given his statement, however, the FPD has decided not to release a whole bunch of information while the investigation is ongoing.

I think as the public, being so used to everything being online immediately, we feel almost disgruntled that we aren't being "let in" on the investigation. We feel like we are entitled to every piece of evidence and every statement anyone has made, and that's just not true. It's an ongoing investigation. It's best to keep it under wraps so as not to sway the public and possibly cloud the judgment of any possible future jurors. JMO

So Crump and Parks have been hitting the news circuit the past 2 days, and it seeems that besides the 'gamechanger' audiotape, the other main topic is ALL OF THE CORROBORATIVE WITNESS TESTIMONY. Crump says the witnesses by themselves should be enough to have OW arrested immediately.

Witness testimony will be worthless if it does not line up with the forensic evidence...and with inconsistent and changing stories. I would say their witnesses are just a little biased ...lol.

JMO.

BBM above: I assume ODW has already given his statement, most likely on 9 Aug

The witness stories are corroborating now, but the early witness reports conflicted each other and then themselves in later interviews. I can't find a single witness who has given multiple interviews/statements whose account of the shooting has remained the same from the beginning. JMO

At least in her first three interviews, Piaget never says anything about slumping or falling to his knees and being shot again. If she did in subsequent interviews, I would question why that wasn't in her first account. In the first interview the day of the shooting, she said, "I witnessed the police, um, chase after the guy. So, of course, he was unarmed, he ran for his life, they shot him and he fell. He put his arms up to let them know he was compliant and that he was unarmed and they shot him twice more and he fell to the ground and died."

If you want to review her early statements, they are on post #53 of the media thread. I think you will find it quite interesting. I don't think she saw a single part of this, but I will save why for another time. Just wanted to point out that her first version of things has MANY holes.

I agree. I do not think she saw a darn thing of consequence but was simply parroting what she heard others saying they witnessed. There was no they. There was a he. Her continued referrals to "they" and "them" tells me she never saw "him" (ODW) do anything.

You bet!

If you look at the first ten pages, they are all the same report from the same cop (12388) who originally responded. How they are assigned to an investigation is anyone's guess, but some of the reports are supplement's to the original, probably to present their reports more thoroughly. You'll note that he refers to reports for another FPD officer and a STLCPD officer in that paragraph I referred to. 12391 is the first responder to the Canfield shooting, who I would guess called and said they had some suspects that match his.

As for reading the last pages, I think those are dispatch notes. I became familiar with them dissecting the timeline between the sick call and the responders afterwards. There is a pattern to them, but in a case when half the force working that day showed up, it's a pretty crazy mess of numbers.

Thanks so much again frydaddy. I'm going to throw out my last bit of confusion and then just leave it alone because I don't want to bog everyone down with my own incompetence. 12388 appears to be the complaint number, not an identification of the officer doing the investigation. It appears the majority of the narrative reports found in the first 10 pages are done by another officer, who actually responded to the robbery call. The narrative on pages 7 and 8 appear to be a new officer assigned to the robbery on the 11th. This new officer also happened to have been dispatched to the shooting on the 9th. From reading it, it appears to me that this officer, some time after being assigned the case, ID'ed MB as the suspect in the video. Again, I think 12391 is a reference tot he complaint number associated with the shooting, not an actual identification of a responder. On the one hand, I understand and am glad they didn't include the officers' name on the reports, but it would certainly help clear them up to know who is writing what.

Thanks as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member