UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Although she probably wasn't a Ripper victim, the first piece of Elizabeth Jackson was fished out of the Thames 125 years ago this Monday (June 2). Body parts continued to be found through most of the month of June. She is generally thought to be the victim of a second serial killer dubbed the Thames Torso Killer.

Was Jack the Ripper a WOMAN Salvation Army worker who turned serial killer to save the East End?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orker-turned-serial-killer-save-East-End.html

Could the brutal murders attributed to Jack the Ripper have been committed by a woman charity worker in a perverse bid to bring the harrowing conditions in the East End into the light?

This is the theory put forward in a new novel about the Victorian serial killer, whose elusive identity has occupied criminologists for more than a century.

During the 1888 murder spree in east London's Whitechapel, the Ripper killed women and removed their sexual and internal organs with such surgical precision that many believed he had to be a doctor.

Jack The Ripper could be a female, not a male.

Also from the article.

Mr Perring says the murders had an unexpected outcome - they drew the attention of the wider world to the appalling conditions endured by those living in the capital's slums.

'The Ripper murders surprisingly did a lot of good for the East End,' he said.

'Someone had shone a light on how awful the conditions were. There were all manner of social works and good deeds afterwards.'

I have read that Jack the Ripper could be a female. It is possible. The killer has never been caught and will never know who he or she is.

Whoever the killer was, he/she was a right mental case. The mutilations were horrific, and thankfully all post-mortem.. My personal theory is that it was someone with an intense paraphilia for which they required freshly dead women. The kills were quick, sudden blitz attacks, the mutilations were an indulgence which substantially increased the risk of discovery for the killer - so I tend to think that the killing was just a means to an end - warm fresh bodies to play about with.

But IS it possible?

Is there a precedent of a woman butchering other women?

I can't think of one personally so I'd say this is highly unlikely. Jack was driven by sexual frenzy imo.

also, these attacks required a lot of strength AND surgical knowledge, something the women of that century were excluded from.

The Papin sisters butchered other women but they weren't serial killers or at least they didn't get the chance to continue.

Anyway, Salvation Army Commissioner David Lamb did suggest a suspect who'd reportedly predicted one of the murders but this individual was a man who was said to be a songwriter. I don't believe that the man was ever named, at least in public.

Anything is possible but I doubt very much that the killer was a woman. That hasn't stopped several from being named as suspects over the years though.

I've indulged in so many arguments over the years, both for and against JtR being a woman... I like to argue all sides of an idea, it gives me perspective.

One hand, yes a woman can be strong, and a woman can be very murderous. A woman can even be crazy-*advertiser censored* enough to want to eviscerate her victims and spend time draping their intestines around the victim's neck - or in Mary Kelly's case, flaying the meat off her bones, as well... and leaving it, with her internal organs, on a bedside table... Sure, a woman could have done that.

But statistically, very very few women are on record for even a single exampleof even the ballpark level of this type of murder. In fact, I don't think I can find ONE. Let alone a series of murders of the same ilk.

In the "for" basket goes the fact that the killer likely did not have penile rape on his/her mind, being that between the actual killing and the subsequent mutilation, there was not a lot of time -- the mutilation itself was probably the primary goal. Also, there's good evidence that the victims were likely brought down fast, silenced/killed via strangulation/cut throats -- and very possibly from behind. While a lot of street prostitutes probably offered themselves from behind, leaning against a wall (the streets were *filthy* and they had those big skirts on, big doubts they ever lay down for sex in all the muck) there's also a chance they were simply blitz-attacked from behind, rapidly and thus little actual strength was needed.

I do tend to think the killer was a man, however I'd not fall off my chair if it turned out to be a woman after all.

also, these attacks required a lot of strength AND surgical knowledge, something the women of that century were excluded from.

Actually - as I said in my post above, they really did not require a lot of strength. In fact, the blitz-attack style these murders appear to be might even support the notion that the killer was not physically very strong.

There's a lot of arguments *against* the killer having surgical knowledge, as well as some good arguments *for* it. I tend to think not. The mutilations weren't that precise. A general knowledge of where organs lie might come from butchering work, funeral work (morgue attendants and the like), for example. Maybe even nursing work.. or just experience gathered as he went. But the whole "JtR was a surgeon" thing, I can't go for that, mainly as the cuts are ragged and sloppy -- the victims truly were "ripped" open, their insides were groped in and roughly cut out. Nothing much surgical about it, except for the ability to locate a uterus, maybe.

This coming Thursday (July 17) is the 125th anniversary of the murder of Alice MacKenzie who was found, shortly after midnight, bleeding from stab wounds and slashes to the neck and body in Castle Alley. Some think she was a victim of Jack the Ripper. Her killer may have been interrupted before he could continue his mutilation. Alice, who was 47, was a suspected prostitute although she may just have been a woman who enjoyed the nightlife. She was known as "Clay Pipe Alice" due to her somewhat colorful smoking habit.

Jack the Ripper can't have been that smart - he partially ate a victim's kidney that had been ravaged by Bright's disease.

One theory is that Jack caught some infection during the murder of Eddowes and that this is the reason for the "pause" between this killing and the one of Kelly.

So when is the book coming out?

Best place I know of for Ripper discussions is Casebook.. link below, to thread regarding the DNA story.

I am expecting a lot of skepticism.. there've been HOW many people who've 'solved it' over the years. If the science is faulty in this instance, the people promoting the story won't be announcing it. I can understand people wanting to wait and see what comes out in the wash, so to speak, before donning party hats marked "SOLVED".

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=8296

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=305886#post305886

^ The "Oh pshawl" comment made me laugh.

Yes that and How's JTRForums.com

If the DNA could be double checked by an independant expert and was found to belong to both the victim and the supposed killer, then I would be very satisfied with that.

Of course there would always be people who would still refuse to believe it. There are a lot of people who have invested a great deal of time and effort into various (and often outlandish) theories about JTR being some famous, emminent person or another.

I can only imagine their disappointment upon finding out that he was just like most serial killers - sad, sick, pathetic and just plain disturbed. Not a genius, not clever and not doing it to send out 'messages' to others.

The legend has almost certainly become much bigger than the truth.

I agree with you, shadowdancer, on all points made. I have never particularly thought JtR was a medical expert or royal personage with VD... To me, it seemed more like a local. someone who knew the streets very well and spent a lot of time in them (observing, for example, how long it takes a bobby to walk his beat..). Someone with mental issues that at least some people were well aware of, including paraphilias of some kind. But I do subscribe a deal of intelligence to him, as well... he was cunning, and did avoid capture by the narrowest margins a couple of times, despite that he killed in relatively busy areas where people could come by - and did - even in the small hours. I don't think he'd need medical expertise or training, to do what he did. I think he'd practised before, either on victims we don't know about (London had plenty of dead and missing transient prostitutes, I dare say, who were never missed) or maybe even corpses. Maybe even a medical chart or book would provide the general location of the organs.. he certainly did not cut like a surgeon. Or even a skilled butcher. They called him 'the ripper' for a reason...

I think Kosminski is a very good suspect. I'm still reserving my party hat for some independent testing, though.

Wow!

Just....wow!

I've been an amateur Ripperologist for many years now (watched several movies, read a few books, including "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden). But I NEVER really thought that this case would end up possibly being solved...not in my lifetime at least.

I don't want to officially say "case closed" just yet.....but on the other hand, this appears to be definitive evidence. Beyond a shadow of a doubt? Perhaps not. Beyond reasonable doubt? Oh yes...I think so.

I'm completely open to reasonable criticism/s which other investigators may have of these DNA results....but....at the moment at least, from what I have read, this appears to be....the end of the story.

http://www.news.com.au/world/dna-te...-aaron-kosminski/story-fndir2ev-1227050842205

The list of everything found with Eddowes at the time of her death is well documented and I don't see this shawl was among them so I imagine that some will suspect that all this is a hoax. I'd first like to know why we should even believe that this is Eddowes' shawl and, if so, why it wasn't listed among her belongings at the time. At present, it doesn't pass the smell test with me.

An earlier DNA test was said to point to Walter Sickert as the Ripper.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back