GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
<sigh> further evidence that I need to stay off of Pinterest. I went to see what you were talking about and immediately my brain jumped to "yum that recipe looks good - oh wait what's THAT?! Oooohhh look horses!" I swear I don't normally have ADD but I do when I get on that site.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! The site confuses the heck out of me, however, I do know how to click from one recipe to another - for hours and hours. Lol

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-...ery-sweet-slaying-victim-erin-corwin_47415694

Memorial recalls &#8216;very sweet' slaying victim Erin Corwin
Bob Fowler
10:08 PM, Sep 19, 2014
4 hours ago

OAK RIDGE &#8212; As twilight slipped into darkness on this late summer evening, hundreds of candles flickered in silent memory and tribute to a young life cut short before it really began.

Some 250 people attended Friday&#8217;s candlelight vigil at East Tennessee Riding Club for Erin Renae Heavilin Corwin.

She was an Oak Ridge native who was killed in California, where she had moved with her young Marine Corps husband, Jon Corwin, 21, also of Oak Ridge. She was 19 years old and pregnant.

Corwin disappeared from the couple&#8217;s Twentynine Palms, Calif., home June 28, and her body was found at the bottom of a 125-foot-deep shaft in an abandoned gold mine on Aug. 16.

Purple balloons and ribbons &#8212; Corwin&#8217;s favorite color &#8212; decorated the viewing area and bleachers overlooking the riding arena at the club, where Corwin had spent many hours with her horse, &#8220;Rye- Leigh.&#8221;

Many attendees at Friday&#8217;s vigil wore special T-shirts in Corwin&#8217;s memory saying &#8220;Support Erin&#8221; on the front and bearing a biblical verse on the back.

Memories of Corwin&#8217;s days in Oak Ridge flowed easily, along with tears.

(Snipped)

Can you explain how EC's family has any say in what plea or sentence is discussed or given?

Happened with the also widely publicized Amber Dubois and Chelsea King murders (a year apart) in the San Diego area a few years ago (Feb 2009 and Feb 2010 respectively)

The parents of Chelsea King faced a torturous decision.

Should they insist that prosecutors seek the death penalty against a man charged with raping and murdering their 17-year-old daughter? Or do they settle for life in prison in exchange for his plea of guilty to the murders of their child and a 14-year-old girl whose killing would have otherwise gone unresolved?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/17/parents-murdered-calif-teen-make-tough-accept-plea-deal/

It was a decision that was difficult for the families and for the DA's office to even consider making, let alone then presenting it to the families (particularly the Kings).

And the Kings (and the DA's office) knew that the community was VERY supportive of them (the Kings) and had been greatly impacted by Chelsea's death, especially (I'll not get into the reasons ATM) and most really wanted Gardner to face the death penalty, plus it would have been a nearly certain conviction.

Particularly since it was widely suspected the two were linked even before Chelsea was found (which all happened in a very short period) And once Chelsea WAS found and he was arrested, then most everyone REALLY suspected JG killed both, and that suspicion alone (even though it couldn't have been included in court) would have been on the minds of probably every jury member.

At the news conference after Friday's hearing, San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said investigators tried to connect Gardner to Amber's death independently of his confession but were unable to.

"Accepting this plea has been an extremely difficult decision,"
she told reporters. "We have the evidence to pursue a murder charge against the defendant for Chelsea's murder but not for Amber's murder."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chelsea...to-murdering-both-teens-avoids-death-penalty/

And just since none of the above outright mention Amber's family also needing to accept it:

The families of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois supported a plea agreement by a 31-year-old registered sex offender who has admitted murdering the two teenage girls, prosecutors said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ted-plea-deal-for-killer-prosecutors-say.html

Amber's family has often expressed their gratitude that the Kings agreed to the plea so that it was even an option for them to then accept. So much so that it still comes up when any of Amber's family members are interviewed for other cases, etc. And it's in at least one of the Dateline / 20/20 / Nightline / 48 Hours (etc.) type accounts of the cases as well (and in at least one, it's mentioned and discussed quite a bit)

The re-post the linked article posted by meemaw12 brought me to tears. Erin made her mark on the lives of many souls, young, old, and in between.

5dc07f6d0ec98c8ef4451c1b73545ec6.jpg

Some 250 people attended Friday’s candlelight vigil at East Tennessee Riding Club for Erin Renae Heavilin Corwin.

She was an Oak Ridge native who was killed in California, where she had moved with her young Marine Corps husband, Jon Corwin, 21, also of Oak Ridge. She was 19 years old and pregnant.

(snip)

Purple balloons and ribbons — Corwin’s favorite color — decorated the viewing area and bleachers overlooking the riding arena at the club, where Corwin had spent many hours with her horse, “Rye- Leigh.”

Many attendees at Friday’s vigil wore special T-shirts in Corwin’s memory saying “Support Erin” on the front and bearing a biblical verse on the back.

Memories of Corwin’s days in Oak Ridge flowed easily, along with tears.

(snip)

“She was very sweet and outgoing and always willing to help people,” recalled JP, who met Erin both through church and her days spent at the riding club. “This is so sad. Just when she was starting her life, it was taken away.”

Corwin’s love of all animals was fondly remembered. “She kept guinea pigs and rabbits at our home,” recalled Erin’s mother, LH (redacted).

LH and her husband, BH (redacted), are the parents of seven children, and five of them, including Erin Corwin, were adopted. Her other adopted siblings have special needs. “It’s just what God called us to do,” LH said.

Corwin was the second child the couple has lost. Another adoptee, TH (redacted), had multiple birth defects and died 11 years ago, just before her 4th birthday.

After Corwin was born, “I loved her immediately,” said sister TR (redacted). “She’s the only child I’ve ever known that could get a rabbit to walk on a leash.”

Corwin’s disappearance and the shocking discovery that she was a slaying victim sent her family on “an emotional roller-coaster,” LH said. Learning that her body was found seven weeks after she disappeared “was the worst news, but it was better than no news,” she said.

After his wife disappeared, J. Corwin said he was “fearing the worst.” After her body was discovered, “I knew she had gone to a better place,” he said.“It’s been devastating for all of us,” said JC’s mother, SB (redacted).

Erin's communicative repertoire was not limited to the human speech pattern :no: This young lady had a way about her, that placed her in a class all by herself - JMO. I hope she can see from her perch in the heavens just how much she touched peoples' lives in her far-too-short time here.

My faith is calling out for my/Our God to keep her tiny child close to her, safe and sound. I ask that God find a way to bring grace and a calming peace to each and every family member who survives these bright, beautiful stars. :heartluv: :heartluv:

:praying:
:candle:

via http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-...ery-sweet-slaying-victim-erin-corwin_47415694 Memorial

Sent from myir iPhone using Tapatalk

Image of the "Remember When...." Cards filled out at Erin's vigil in Tennessee.....

740adbdacee0c92f3d894bbccc1134f0.jpg

(snip)

"I guess next to her family home, this would be her home. This is where she grew up. This is where she learned a lot," said Asher of the East Tennessee Riding Club.

At the vigil, the color purple was nearly everywhere with ribbons, horse shoes, and balloons. That color was Erin's favorite.

Many told their story of Erin as the sun set and some stories got laughs from friends and family who remembered the fond memory. As candles were lit, dozens watched as several horses did a lap around the track in honor of Erin.

As for family, they said the vigil has given them some closure, but there is still more to overcome.

via linked post shared upthread by Dmacky:

http://www.wate.com/story/26582205/vigil-held-for-erin-corwin-in-oak-ridge

:rose: :heartbeat: :rose: :heartbeat:

:candle:

:praying:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is everybody :frown:

I'm on the Hannah Graham thread, Checking in on Jodie A, and checking on here some. I have no more thoughts until there's a hearing. Thanks for checking! I still think of Erin and her family.

I check in, just waiting for something newsworthy to discuss.

Can't wait to see what strategy Lee's attorney steps out with.

Hoping it will be a plea bargain.

I am following Hannah case and hoping that DNA from JM is the same as Morgan's killer

Following Hannah's case - man, those threads are moving fast!

Still following just this case. Horrible feeling when it goes to the second page.

Same as the others. I'm still here, still checking each day and waiting. Hoping with all my might that in the end, justice is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam