Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is scary though. I work at an airport, small and in New England, but we get many passengers from overseas as we are the final destination. Just the other night, I was walking on the people mover to the garage to go home, and a person in front of me sneezed like 3 times without covering his mouth. Fluid from sneezes can fly 10 feet!

To be honest (I've been there 15 years) I don't touch railings or elevator buttons. Use my pinky finger to pull open a door, and when I return to my office, which is open to the public, but behind glass, I always wash my hands after having to open the door. Thank goodness for the glass, as you wouldn't believe (yeah, you probably could) how many people stand there and hack and not cover their mouths while talking to me.

I will not panic as we had procedures back when SARS was a threat, and are prepared to treat a mass casualty event should an aircraft arrive with a person suspected of a communicable disease, but I still think about it.

So did he call for an ambulance from his home on the 28th?

Until we know facts regarding his first visit to Texas Presbyterian, and we may never know due to privacy laws, maybe everyone should refrain from criticizing the staff for releasing him. If he was ask about travel and did not divulge his travel history and if his symptoms were mild flu like symptoms he would not have met admission criteria. Patients lie or tell different versions of their health history all the time!
Now if the staff neglected to ASK him about travel history, then yes the criticism very much deserved.

Please don't go there.

No offfense, but to not "go there" is like burying your head in the sand. All possibilities need to be considered, and planned for, if necessary.

He did not disclose that he came from Liberia...btw, there are NO direct flights to DFW from Africa

Per the news this morning (sorry, I don't remember which channel...I had two different ones one), there was a layover.

Until we know facts regarding his first visit to Texas Presbyterian, and we may never know due to privacy laws, maybe everyone should refrain from criticizing the staff for releasing him. If he was ask about travel and did not divulge his travel history and if his symptoms were mild flu like symptoms he would not have met admission criteria. Patients lie or tell different versions of their health history all the time!
Now if the staff neglected to ASK him about travel history, then yes the criticism very much deserved.

Honestly ,he lied ,they messed up no longer matters. It perfectly shows how we are not ready to prevent the spread of ebola, the looks like
a hundred other viruses which are harmless and not testing everyone before release because it isnt cost effective make this a very dangerous concern .

It might not be as easy to catch as the flu, but say what if it is as easy to catch as chicken pox, or mono, or herpes simplex 1 .

I am not trying to inspire panic but people do need to know ,it really could happen here.

Honestly ,he lied ,they messed up no longer matters. It perfectly shows how we are not ready to prevent the spread of ebola, the looks like
a hundred other viruses which are harmless and not testing everyone before release because it isnt cost effective make this a very dangerous concern .

It might not be as easy to catch as the flu, but say what if it is as easy to catch as chicken pox, or mono, or herpes simplex 1 .

I am not trying to inspire panic but people do need to know ,it really could happen here.

Yes, I totally agree.

What trigger was talking about was that if they had told the drivers the patient had AIDs they would have refused to transport the patient. People thought you could get AID's just by being in the room- My ex brother-in-law tried to forbid my sister from hugging her brother becuase the sob was that paranoid and uneducated about the disease.

Yes TY for explaining it better then me.

:please:....please let this get contained quickly.....I do not trust the people "in charge".....and no, I don't mean politically.

One known case as of today. But because this guy wasn't quarantined for days after showing symptoms, how many more people have been infected? Time will tell soon enough. Personally, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that somebody did get infected, since this guy was symptomatic for days before being isolated.

This is my fear to. When he was sent home did he get a prescription? So if he did, did he go into a drug store and wait for it? Did he while waiting for it to be filled did he walk around the store pushing a shopping cart? After he got the prescription where did he go next? In a cab? A bus?

This is my fear to. When he was sent home did he get a prescription? So if he did, did he go into a drug store and wait for it? Did he while waiting for it to be filled did he walk around the store pushing a shopping cart? After he got the prescription where did he go next? In a cab? A bus?
Exactly, when he first went to the hospital, did he fill out paperwork? Talk to the person at the desk? Sit near anyone?

Eta: I understand Hippa privacy rules, but his identity should be released so anyone who may have had contact with him during this time could know. Also, how long had he been presenting symptoms when he first went to the hospital? If he is anything like me, probably several days.

Exactly, when he first went to the hospital, did he fill out paperwork? Talk to the person at the desk? Sit near anyone?

Yup, he touched the person at the desk filling out paperwork then paying for it. The list goes on and on . Then you have the ambulance drivers and their families . This is insane and very scary .

OK, I am really freaking out about this but trying to be cool for my kids.
My children the youngest being still in HS recently went to Tulsa to the cancer treatment center to visit their father who has cancer and is critically ill. Yesterday it was decided that he would go home to DALLAS and spend his remaining time on hospice so my children drove out to Dallas to his home. He was flown in by plane to Dallas and then via ambulance to his house to set up hospice care. Now this Ebola stuff going on and I am really, really afraid that my children are going to end up getting this crap. I mean they could be there for weeks, someone has to go get food, so there's trips out in public. They also go to their grandmas house which is in Plano to keep an eye on her etc. I fear that within a few weeks this is going to be really bad there and wonder if they will even ever make it home.
Sorry if I seem overly worried but I am.
For all anyone knows my ex could have been in the same ambulance that Ebola dude was in.

You can catch chicken pox if someone on aisle 9 in the grocery store has it and you are on aisle 8 and never even saw the person. Ebola requires direct contact with the body fluids of the infected person. It is nowhere near as contagious as some of the people on this thread are insinuating.

Really? What about the WHO lab dr who never had direct contact with any of that, who suited up in bio hazard suit daily, did all protocol and still got EBOLA? There are numerous reports of people getting Ebola and never having direct contact..I'll look for links.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...s-3rd-doctor-dies-from-ebola-in-sierra-leone/

I've been researching this a lot and a lot of folks in the medical field now feel that this may have become airborne.

Really? What about the WHO lab dr who never had direct contact with any of that, who suited up in bio hazard suit daily, did all protocol and still got EBOLA? There are numerous reports of people getting Ebola and never having direct contact..I'll look for links.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...s-3rd-doctor-dies-from-ebola-in-sierra-leone/

If you could get ebola without direct contact with fluids, even while wearing hazmat, most of West Africa would be wiped out by now. Think about it. There was either a break in protocol, or they got it while being around people who they did not know had it.

If you could get ebola without direct contact with fluids, even while wearing hazmat, most of West Africa would be wiped out by now. Think about it. There was either a break in protocol, or they got it while being around people who they did not know had it.

Its possible,I'll give you that.. but it also makes sense that if an infected person sneezes on a window sill and then patient a comes along puts hand on window sill then rubs eyes, nose etc those droplets could be transferred to the patient a...and from what I understand this can live up to 32 hours outside of a host. That in itself is scary.

Oh and most of West africa will be wiped out by the time this is all over.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...fusing-volunteers-too-late-to-fight-outbreak/

There's nothing wrong with being concerned...if I had my way, we'd close off our borders to anyone traveling from that area of the world until they contain this. However, it serves no purpose to exaggerate the degree of contagious nature of the disease. Seriously, it sounds like numbers of infected/morbidity/mortality are high, but relative to the population, they way they handle their dead, their medical infrastructure, the medical ignorance amongst the population, it's not that surprising. And relative to the numbers who have not been infected in those areas, it's clear that you don't get ebola simply by being in the vicinity of an infected person, or we would see mortality 100 fold OR MORE in those nations from what has presently occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie