Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they incinerate any and everything they use on this man at the hospital and not try to reuse it on other patients.. Hospitals have mrsa from shoddy health/cleaning habits we don't need ebola too.

Has any effort been made to treat his relatives that he was sharing quarters with for 4 days of being symptomatic? All I have read is that they are quarantined in their apartment. So presumably they are not yet symptomatic..........but what is CDC waiting for? That apartment is contaminated! JMO

Treat them with what?

Standard treatment for Ebola is symptomatic and supportive - no symptoms, nothing to treat.

We live in a country that is bombarded with information on this for nearly a year, how diligence and awareness can stop this virus, how we are not apt to have an outbreak like other countries, etc.

Then again, we have some very rookie mistakes taking place with our first case in the US that makes me reconsider everything everyone on the tv (or in an article) has ever told me.

Just to bring up Sanjay again, he is even appalled that this man was released, and that this woman's apartment was left, well basically, contaminated and she was quarantined in it.

Who is supposed to bring the family food and necessities for the next 21 days?

I will be shocked if ANY of the people stay in for 21 days !!!!

I wonder if CDC would have done anything had the woman not talk to CNN. Yeppers, they're gonna just nip this in the bud. Lucky for us CDC is right on top of this.:rolleyes: And I believe that infected man absolutely knew he was exposed and sick and felt he would die if he stayed in Liberia. Shame.

I seriously doubt that the "missionaries" who were sick with Ebola and agreed to be transported to the USA were absolutely SURE that no one here would be infected. I think they just wanted to live, as I am sure that MR.Duncan did. Should they have stayed in Africa, rather than risk bringing Ebola here? JMO

I hope they incinerate any and everything they use on this man at the hospital and not try to reuse it on other patients.. Hospitals have mrsa from shoddy health/cleaning habits we don't need ebola too.

what about the first time he was in the ER ???? those linens, those people on that shift etc.

Normally I would say this ebola patient would have had to plan way in advance for a visa but with the new protocol in place to expedite visas from infected areas it's very possible he did come here with the intent to treat for it in the USA

For goodness sake! He got the visa about two weeks before he touched the infected girl. Are you are suggesting that he set out to deliberately contract Ebola (having already obtained his visa) and then bring it to the US?

I think a far more likely scenario is that he had already purchased his flight ticket, couldn't afford to just junk the ticket, was not feeling ill at all and therefore just trusted that he would be OK. Foolish, but not evil.

I seriously doubt that the "missionaries" who were sick with Ebola and agreed to be transported to the USA were absolutely SURE that no one here would be infected. I think they just wanted to live, as I am sure that MR.Duncan did. Should they have stayed in Africa, rather than risk bringing Ebola here? JMO

bingo! Im sorry it's awful but put yourself in his shoes , I wouldnt have stayed either, its sad because he was only trying to help his landlord , that dosent sound like a malicious person who does not care.

I didn't buy duct tape either and yea hand sanitizer would be pretty worthless against a virus duh... Smh

Actually hand sanitizers do work against some viruses, like the common cold, but should not replace washing with soap and water. The best route is to use both - first use the sanitizer and then thoroughly wash with soap and water.

As I do with every thread that talks about a possible catastrophe or emergency I suggest that those of you who are not prepared, get prepared.

As someone who lived in earthquake country for decades, I always have enough to go through two weeks without services. In this case I would say 3 weeks? Might be a better goal to have.

This includes food, Critter Care, toiletries, and so on.

Before anybody calls me an alarmist, I find it important to remind people to be prepared. There is no area of our world that does not have natural catastrophe, larger than others, and to not be prepared is, simply, silly.

Best,
HC

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-27...ealed-Ebola-patient-Texas-throwing-place.html

"..Panicked parents pull their children from school after being handed notes saying 'everything is fine'..."
Hmmmmm...

I feel for those parents. If the cleaning crews need to wear hazmat suits while disinfecting the buildings, then NONE of the children should be there, imo !

Kids don't necessarily wash their hands every time they sneeze or whatever ; so it would seem that if even one student was infected--Ebola could spread very easily from child to child. Think back to when we were kids, and how little we noticed anything that might have germs , compared to now, as adults.
Hope this doesn't spread and that Mr. Duncan can survive.

They were brought here under tremendous, high quality precautions.

This man knew he was exposed, brought it here. His g/f was in the apt. taking care of him, with his sweaty sheets will IMO have a huge chance of contacting it, thanks to him.

Liberian authorities say they plan to prosecute the man infected with Ebola who brought the disease to the United States, saying he lied on his airport health questionnaire.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/26689155/liberia-to-prosecute-man-who-brought-ebola-to-us

With an Ebola crisis raging in West Africa, passengers leaving Liberia are being screened for fever and are asked if they have had contact with anyone infected.

On the questionnaire obtained by The Associated Press, Thomas Eric Duncan answered `no' to those questions.

Neighbors say Duncan had helped a sick pregnant woman who later died of the disease. Her illness at the time was believed to be pregnancy-related.

So - if they thought her illness was pregnancy related, at what point did they know it was Ebola - before or after Mr Duncan left for the US? If it was after, then I do not see how he can be accused of lying.

Since she was turned away from the hospital, she died without a diagnosis - I wonder at what point they received confirmation that it was Ebola rather than a pregnancy related condition.

As I do with every thread that talks about a possible catastrophe or emergency I suggest that those of you who are not prepared, get prepared.

As someone who lived in earthquake country for decades, I always have enough to go through two weeks without services. In this case I would say 3 weeks? Might be a better goal to have.

This includes food, Critter Care, toiletries, and so on.

Before anybody calls me an alarmist, I find it important to remind people to be prepared. There is no area of our world that does not have natural catastrophe, larger than others, and to not be prepared is, simply, silly.

Best,
HC

you ARE NOT an alarmest , if you ask me its stupid NOT to be prepared , I mean GEEZE are we going to wait on the government to bring us supplies , I bought 200 gallons of ozarka last night at wally ( it was a huge PIA to cart to the car) but I only have 200 at the house! and if you dont have at least dried beans in bulk (they are super cheap) your nuts! (yes prepper here too)

For goodness sake! He got the visa about two weeks before he touched the infected girl. Are you are suggesting that he set out to deliberately contract Ebola (having already obtained his visa) and then bring it to the US?

I think a far more likely scenario is that he had already purchased his flight ticket, couldn't afford to just junk the ticket, was not feeling ill at all and therefore just trusted that he would be OK. Foolish, but not evil.

I was responding to another poster but yes I think he purposely came to the US possibly to avoid getting ebola but he certainly knew when he got on that plane that he had been exposed for sure.. No I don't think he purposely got ebola.. That would be stupid.

So - if they thought her illness was pregnancy related, at what point did they know it was Ebola - before or after Mr Duncan left for the US? If it was after, then I do not see how he can be accused of lying.

Since she was turned away from the hospital, she died without a diagnosis - I wonder at what point they received confirmation that it was Ebola rather than a pregnancy related condition.

The witch hunt has begun..........stay tuned. JMO

Oh jeeze....so we will save his life and then deport him so that Liberia can incarcerate him? What a dumb world. JMO

Maybe the airport questionnaire asked if he'd been around anyone with ebola and by the time he was at the airport he knew the answer was yes.. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd