Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK, this is the most impressive part of the comment linked above:
"Among monkeys treated with chloroquine 80-90 percent survived challenge with Ebola and Marburg viruses. Intraperitoneal administration improved the survival to 100%. Since these drugs target host proteins, the virus is unlikely to develop drug resistance. "

Just checking in here after a long day at work. "Waves"

Ok so I work in an Ebola prepared unit and got my flu shot today. I now have a nosebleed. Do I have ebola?

Ok so I work in an Ebola prepared unit and got my flu shot today. I now have a nosebleed. Do I have ebola?
No cause- effect relationship exists. :) However, unless you have been evaluated for epistaxis, you might consider a workup to rule out sinus or nasal problems soon.
I received my influenza vaccine 2 weeks ago. Had a mild febrile reaction which I did not treat, as treatment lowers the immune response.

didn't know that - thank you

It survives much longer if it has a moist/COLD venue (i.e. possibly gas pumps in the winter, refrigerated items at the store). Cash is a bit tricky since it is porous and can retain moisture.

Slightly OT and I am sure most know this but when applying cleaner/disinfectant to surfaces to kill germs apply and LEAVE IT, don't wipe again until it has dried on its own. Same with alcohol, it takes a while to kill germs.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-dallas-20141014-story.html#page=1

Among other things, they said that Duncan “was left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present.”

When a nurse supervisor demanded that he be moved into isolation, the supervisor “faced resistance from other hospital authorities,” the nurses said.

They described a hospital with no clear guidelines in place for handling Ebola patients, where Duncan’s lab specimens were sent through the usual hospital tube system “without being specifically sealed and hand-delivered. The result is that the entire tube system, which all the lab systems are sent, was potentially contaminated,” they said.

The nurses said they were essentially left to figure things out for themselves as they dealt with “copious amounts” of body fluids from Duncan while wearing gloves with no wrist tapes, gowns that did not cover their necks, and no surgical booties. Protective gear eventually arrived, but not until three days after Duncan’s admission to the hospital, they said.

So someone explain to me what the "rapid field blood test" is?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/

Experimental drug likely saved Ebola patients
By Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Danielle Dellorto, CNN
updated 8:22 PM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014

--- re: Dr. Kent Brantly

On July 22, Brantly woke up feeling feverish. Fearing the worst, Brantly immediately isolated himself. Writebol's symptoms started three days later. A rapid field blood test confirmed the infection in both of them after they had become ill with fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-dallas-20141014-story.html#page=1

Among other things, they said that Duncan “was left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present.”

When a nurse supervisor demanded that he be moved into isolation, the supervisor “faced resistance from other hospital authorities,” the nurses said.

They described a hospital with no clear guidelines in place for handling Ebola patients, where Duncan’s lab specimens were sent through the usual hospital tube system “without being specifically sealed and hand-delivered. The result is that the entire tube system, which all the lab systems are sent, was potentially contaminated,” they said.

The nurses said they were essentially left to figure things out for themselves as they dealt with “copious amounts” of body fluids from Duncan while wearing gloves with no wrist tapes, gowns that did not cover their necks, and no surgical booties. Protective gear eventually arrived, but not until three days after Duncan’s admission to the hospital, they said.

OMG. If in fact these things happened, I'm glad the facts are coming out. If in fact these things happened, could they have been any less prepared? It's hard to believe that so many bright people messed up so badly.

So two questions. Could Dr B make a ton of $$$ by selling his plasma as a remedy ? I'm assuming he's 'donating' at this time, but honestly, couldn't he cash in right here?
And couldn't survivors from the affected areas donate to their locals and give remedies over there or is the cost of a transfusion too much to do routinely in those areas?
TIA !

OMG. If in fact these things happened, I'm glad the facts are coming out. If in fact these things happened, could they have been any less prepared? It's hard to believe that so many bright people messed up so badly.

Did you see the one where they made them wrap tape around their necks to protect it???

:gasp:

How do you get that off safely???

ETA, I would LOVE to listen to that conference call. Hopefully it will get posted.

Did you see the one where they made them wrap tape around their necks to protect it???

:gasp:

How do you get that off safely???

ETA, I would LOVE to listen to that conference call. Hopefully it will get posted.

Such stunning allegations . . . I can hardly wrap my mind around this.

So two questions. Could Dr B make a ton of $$$ by selling his plasma as a remedy ? I'm assuming he's 'donating' at this time, but honestly, couldn't he cash in right here?
And couldn't survivors from the affected areas donate to their locals and give remedies over there or is the cost of a transfusion too much to do routinely in those areas?
TIA !

You are only supposed to donate plasma once per 28 days. By my calculation, in the last month he donated to 3 people.
He is going to have no blood left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member