Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you seen this crap? There is no excuse for this. It's now wonder that the nurse who got Ebola got it. This hospital should be sued. Going to post other snippets in another post.

(part 1)

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/texas-ebola-nurses-union-claims/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A nursing supervisor faced resistance from hospital authorities when the supervisor demanded that Duncan be moved to an isolation unit, the nurses said, according to the union.

At first, protective gear nurses were wearing while treating Duncan left their necks exposed.

After expressing concerns that their necks were exposed even as they wore protective gear, the nurses were told to wrap their necks with medical tape, the union says.

"They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck," Burger said.

At one point during Duncan's care, hazardous waste piled up.

"There was no one to pick up hazardous waste as it piled to the ceiling," Burger said. "They did not have access to proper supplies."

Nurses got no "hands-on" training about using protective gear.

"There was no mandate for nurses to attend training," Burger said, though they did receive an e-mail about a hospital seminar on Ebola.

"This was treated like hundreds of other seminars that were routinely offered to staff," she said.
Deplorable.

I think I see now why Dr. Frieden of the CDC now says they will be on the scene for any future Ebola possible admissions.
I wish I was back living in Atlanta. I KNOW there are some great hospitals there with extremely stringent isolation protocols.

Mr Duncan should have been shipped off to Atlanta where they seem to be much better prepared.
If these allegations are accurate, then the Dallas hospital send 70 people to treat Mr. Duncan, while apparently having no clue how these people are supposed to protect themselves.
How many of these people will get Ebola, in addition to the nurse who already got it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2792457/Ebola-patient-cared-70-hospital-staffers.html

The part about Mr. Duncan's medical waste filling a room to the ceiling is the most disgusting and scary thing I've ever read about as a nurse ( except for the hospital which didn't know their hemodialysis filters were supposed to be disposable- changed out for each patient and reused them for months- exposed countless dialysis patients to blood- borne diseases). And that hospital is located in a state where grievous mistakes are made more often than anyone would believe... They gave my mother too much anesthesia, failed to " notice" in PACU, failed to " notice" after she was moved to her room, and only the shouts of her family and friends at beside to " WAKE UP AND BREATHE" got her any help at all. She had cognitive deficiencies for a year... and her an elderly person.

I'm telling you, this medical waste not being incinerated in a medical incinerator is the worst. Flies? Mice? Other insects? OMG

I think the "fault" or "breach of protocol" lands at the feet of the CDC. They knew Mr. Duncan was there. They knew he had Ebola. Yes, the Hospital was/is at fault for at least not screaming "help" but I blame the CDC. I mean, aren't issues like this something that they are supposed to be on top of. They should have been first on the scene immediately after it was reported that Mr. Duncan had Ebola. They are the experts, they say. They know protocol, they say. So why weren't they on the ground at the Hospital running or overseeing everything?

Mr Duncan should have been shipped off to Atlanta where they seem to be much better prepared.
If these allegations are accurate, then the Dallas hospital send 70 people to treat Mr. Duncan, while apparently having no clue how these people are supposed to protect themselves.
How many of these people will get Ebola, in addition to the nurse who already got it?

Well, I posted an MD- only link with my personal access today from Medpage.com which clearly states that the CDC is telling all MDs that they are going to transfer Ebola patients to one of the 4 special hospitals in the country " if the situation warrants" which I take to mean that 1) the patient can tolerate the trip and 2) the 4 units are not already over-worked.

Here it is again, and I suggest that all who are interested in what's going on between the doctors at USA hospitals and the CDC doctors read this:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/833226?src=wnl_edit_newsal&uac=89707MG

I think the "fault" lands at the feet of the CDC. They knew Mr. Duncan was there. They knew he had Ebola. Yes, the Hospital was/is at fault but I blame the CDC. I mean, aren't issues like this something that they are supposed to be on top of. They should have been first on the scene immediately after it was reported that Mr. Duncan had Ebola. They are the experts, they say. They know protocol, they say. So why weren't they on the ground at the Hospital running or overseeing everything?

But the hospital claimed they were ready. Did you see the press conference when they were assuring the public they are ready to treat an Ebola patient?

Interesting to know: surgery garb includes a hood with face shield. The hood drapes over the shoulders. Often used in orthopedic cases. If the doctors can use these in surgery, why wouldn't these nurses be provided this standard of protection? As an RN, what I am hearing makes my blood boil.

But the hospital claimed they were ready. Did you see the press conference when they were assuring the public they are ready to treat an Ebola patient?

They were in CYA mode.

Well, I posted an MD- only link with my personal access today from Medpage.com which clearly states that the CDC is telling all MDs that they are going to transfer Ebola patients to one of the 4 special hospitals in the country " if the situation warrants" which I take to mean that 1) the patient can tolerate the trip and 2) the 4 units are not already over-worked.

I bet CDC is horrified by what wen on (if these allegations are accurate). Ready, my behind.
70 more potentially infected people. Not good at all.

Interesting to know: surgery garb includes a hood with face shield. The hood drapes over the shoulders. Often used in orthopedic cases. If the doctors can use these in surgery, why wouldn't these nurses be provided this standard of protection? As an RN, what I am hearing makes my blood boil.
A lot of the biohazard gear is becoming difficult to acquire on the markets as they are being snapped up by hospitals. There is already some gear we can't get our hands on should the need arise in my unit.

Does anyone know why Nina's significant other is in iso at the hospital and yet Duncan's gf and the others were just left in the apt?

I don't have that info. But I'd think Nina and or others suggested it out of abundance of caution since SO lives with her, typically some common items. Nina, being a health pro probably that it was safest to monitor loved one closely just to be safe.

I think the "fault" or "breach of protocol" lands at the feet of the CDC. They knew Mr. Duncan was there. They knew he had Ebola. Yes, the Hospital was/is at fault for at least not screaming "help" but I blame the CDC. I mean, aren't issues like this something that they are supposed to be on top of. They should have been first on the scene immediately after it was reported that Mr. Duncan had Ebola. They are the experts, they say. They know protocol, they say. So why weren't they on the ground at the Hospital running or overseeing everything?

I swear I read somewhere today that the CDC had 10 people there the day after he was admitted. Anyone else see that?

I bet CDC is horrified by what wen on (if these allegations are accurate). Ready, my behind.
70 more potentially infected people. Not good at all.

I smell a possible sick out at Dallas Presbyterian. What a freaking mess.

I don't have that info. But I'd think Nina and or others suggested it out of abundance of caution since SO lives with her, typically some common items. Nina, being a health pro probably that it was safest to monitor loved one closely just to be safe.

I read on another unrelated site that he had symptoms. Let me see if I can link the article.

I need to say this. I learned it in nursing school.

It is NOT a shameful thing to say: " I don't know how" to do something, then ask for assistance to LEARN how.
It IS a shameful and probably litigious thing to say " Sure, I can do THAT" when you are unsure, unable, or untrained.

IMO, Presby. is not a good hospital to begin with. None of the Texas Health hospitals are worth a darn. I checked myself out AMA from Harris Methodist, also a Texas Health hospital with a " good reputation" because of the absolute worst nurses I've ever encountered in my personal care.
I was extremely sick too. Went to Dallas Baylor University Hospital and was treated so well and got well.
I don't mean to upset anyone, but I really am telling it like I see it. Texas Health Care System hospitals are not to be trusted with " the serious stuff".

Couldn't link article about Nina's boyfriend. Site is Young Conservatives.

I just don't understand this at all. Ebola is not the only infectious disease out there. How could the hospital be so clueless (if these allegations are accurate?)
What if the rest of them start coming down with symptoms?
Makes me sick to my stomach.

Okay but if Ebola is as serious as it appears, it should have been considered a National Issue.....National Health Emergency......Homeland Security Issue...Maybe the Hospital thought they had it under control but the experts at the CDC should have immediately arrived and had a group meeting with Hospital, Mayor, Governor, Texas Health Dept. The CDC cannot blame others if they are the experts and didn't at least try to do something. The CDC is a federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services. They had the authority or at least could have gotten the authority to take control of the care of Mr. Duncan and they should have done that. The Doctors with Ebola transferred back to U.S. arrived and were basically transferred in hermetically sealed units. fyi I just threw myself off the bus - Mr. Duncan should have been immediately transferred to one of the Centers. So who does the CDC report to?

This is a truly frightening situation, and I pray that the young nurse recovers and there are no more cases here. I am trying to keep myself calm, because I am having chemo, and am already at risk for any infection. Knowledge is the key. Hopefully, those in charge will make the right decisions and we can contain this. I pray for those suffering Africa, also. But we need to worry about home right now.

At the Lake suggested reading "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. I thought of that book a few days ago as I was panicking. It was the best non fiction book I ever read! I've read it a few times. Lessons were learned that changed the way HIV was handled-not soon enough for too many, but in time to make it better for others. Everyone needs to get on the same page and start treating this as the dangerous situation it is.

Pat

PAJS, I hope you are feeling alright and I wish you a full recovery! I feel the same way but may be able to offer you some assurance so long as you stay away from sick people. I'm on a complement (immune) blocker for life plus my ANC has been around .5 - .7 most or all of the time for many years. So far I'm doing very well! If in doubt at a hospital, see poor inf controls, I just request reverse infection measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks