Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems CLEAR that the only way to truly solve this problem is a vaccine. Apparently they are making some positive headway in that regard.

However, vaccine development and trials usually take a long time. If they were to speed up the process and approve an "experimental vaccine" without going through the usual hoops, would any of you get the vaccine?

This might be a good poll but I don't know how to do it.

Not I, said the little red hen.

Want to thank everyone for good discussions. We all have strong opinions on this because it really is a dangerous disease.

The good news at least for now is that until it becomes more widespread our odds are still good that we wont be near any infected parties. So long as we dont have to travel near the larger outbreak areas.

One thing that really concerns me is there is no sign that it is slowing in Africa. It seems to be totally out of control. That is real scary.

Congresswoman wants to suspend visas for Ebola-impacted countries

Published On: Oct 15 2014 11:56:16 AM EDT Updated On: Oct 15 2014 12:24:47 PM EDT

DETROIT -
U.S. Congresswoman Candice Miller, R-Mich., is sending a letter to U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson and Secretary of State John Kerry to temporarily suspend visas to people from west African countries affected by Ebola.

In the letter, obtained by Local 4, Miller writes that more than 13,000 visas for Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone should be suspended until the outbreak is under control.

Miller also wants any U.S. patients infected with Ebola be treated at four specific hospitals in the country that specialize in the treatment of the disease...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nd-visas-for-ebolaimpacted-countries/29141432
Who's going to listen to common sense like that.:thinking:

Ivory Coast and Ghana which are close to the countries with ebola closed their borders and have no ebola cases. USA is over 10000 miles away and already have ebola

That's exactly what I've been thinking. If they were sick, no way would they keep quiet. They'd be claiming it was further proof of negligence by the hospital..

And it was. Mr. Duncan paid the ultimate price that came with bad decisions/judgement just as these two nurses are. Not very much has gone right from the minute Mr. Duncan stepped into the ER the first time. Sigh

John Wiley Price is a local politician who is very controversial. One thing that is consistent with him, however, is that he is fiercely, RABIDLY protective of the African American Community in Dallas. No one could keep him quiet if members of this family were ill or any of the other contacts. The AA community in Dallas trusts him implicitly and I find it very doubtful that they could keep something like this from him. He's already weighed in on the whole thing and I'm sure he's keeping tabs on things. I find it unlikely that there would be some kind of ebola clinic or unit secretly working in Dallas and no one would talk. Just pretty remote.

It seems CLEAR that the only way to truly solve this problem is a vaccine. Apparently they are making some positive headway in that regard.

However, vaccine development and trials usually take a long time. If they were to speed up the process and approve an "experimental vaccine" without going through the usual hoops, would any of you get the vaccine?

I would NOT get it.

If the medical officials do their job I won't be exposed, and if they don't do their job I sure as heck am NOT going into an "Ebola Care" facility.

This isn't being snarky but an honest question from someone who knows pretty much NIL in the medical field - why South America?

B/c conditions in S. America aren't much better than w. Africa...generalized comment obviously. This fact coupled with the fact that we basically do not have a southern boarder is a recipe for disaster.

People crossing are already bringing in various diseases, and this would be no different.

The 1 drug I would consider taking is the 1 that was given to the 1st man (Kent Brantley) + woman health volunteers who seemed to be cured by the drug. It was the drug they ran out of.
Not sure what the drug was called.

That did show huge promise and I would take that if I came down with this disease.

I think I read that they are scrambling to make more of it but it may take up to 6 months to make it. I wonder how big of a batch they are making.

Trying to find the article, but I just read within the last day or so, the Dallas mayor saying he had just spoken by telephone to Louise, who was doing well, but expressed her sadness and the difficulty of being away from other family while grieving, I think.

Does this ring a bell for anyone else? Will keep looking for the article, because I remember noting the date and being glad to hear they were still doing well as they near the end of quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1 drug I would consider taking is the 1 that was given to the 1st man (Kent Brantley) + woman health volunteers who seemed to be cured by the drug. It was the drug they ran out of.

That did show huge promise and I would take that if I came down with this disease.

I think I read that they are scrambling to make more of it but it may take up to 6 months to make it. I wonder how big of a batch they are making.

Zmapp.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...turning-to-texas-amid-ebola-crisis?cmpid=yhoo

Rick Perry Returning to Texas Amid Ebola Crisis.

...Texas Governor Rick Perry is cutting short his European trade mission to return home after a second person in his state has been diagnosed with Ebola, said Rich Parsons, a spokesman for Perry.

Perry was criticized by Texas Democrats earlier this week for leaving the state as a Dallas nurse became the first person in the U.S. to be diagnosed with Ebola...

More at link

Zmapp iirc I think that's what your referring to

Ivory Coast and Ghana which are close to the countries with ebola closed their borders and have no ebola cases. USA is over 10000 miles away and already have ebola

If I can not trust the US to protect our health then I certainly can not trust other countries to put protective measures in place and follow them.

I can't speak for anybody else but when I panic, I react. No planning or logic involved. I think it is pretty silly to panic at this point. The latest cases don't involve anybody bringing the virus in to this county from another, it is involves two health care workers at a hospital. This news story is from 4 days ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/stepped-ebola-screening-starting-nyc-airport-26119769

"Already there are 100 percent of the travelers leaving the three infected countries are being screened on exit. Sometimes multiple times temperatures are checked along that process," Dr. Martin Cetron, director of the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine for the federal Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, said at a briefing at Kennedy.

Cetron added, "No matter how many procedures are put into place, we can't get the risk to zero."

The screening will be expanded over the next week to New Jersey's Newark Liberty, Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare and Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta."

BBM as someone on CNN just said, "this nurse wouldn't have met the temperature threshold, so how effective is that for screening?"

And unlike people traveling from W Africa, Americans on non international flights aren't being asked about exposure, nor are they being screened for temperature.

I understand that this nurse obviously fits a criteria that most of us won't face...but everyone she came in contact with is at potential risk, and if or when non healthcare workers are thrown into the mix it will get exponentially worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998