In Guinea: 10

In Sierra Leone: 2.2

Health spending per-person per-year in the US (2012): $8,895

In Liberia: $65

In Guinea: $32

In Sierra Leone: $96

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/16/6982447/ebola-virus-outbreak-by-the-numbers

He said-

"She's the sixth person who's thrown up at a DART facility today," said Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins. "That is just part of public transportation that I was unaware of, but that does happen."

http://www.khou.com/story/news/loca...-at-train-station-not-on-ebola-list/17509081/

Except that she lives in the same building that Duncan lived in. Duncan's neighbors were not put onto Ebola watch lists, even thought they could have been exposed to his bodily fluids (considering he was throwing up all over the place before being loaded into the ambulance).
Somebody could have walked through that puke in sandals and picked up some Ebola.

Tweets from a WFAA reporter:

Lauren Zakalik @wfaalauren · 2m 2 minutes ago

For all of you questioning the changing info: we simply have reported what AUTHORITIES told us. Their stories have changed.

Lauren Zakalik @wfaalauren · 18m 18 minutes ago

NEW 411: woman is NOT a resident at The Ivy NOR did she vomit on platform, per @dartmedia. She simply spit & stayed at the ivy some time ago

https://twitter.com/wfaalauren

I prefer to remain optimistic until we get additional information. Somewhere in all the zillions of news articles I've read, I think I remember reading that some lab in Dallas has received the ok to do blood tests for suspected Ebola victims. Hopefully, that is true & we will soon be able to know if her blood test is positive or negative.

Tweets from a WFAA reporter:

Lauren Zakalik @wfaalauren · 2m 2 minutes ago

For all of you questioning the changing info: we simply have reported what AUTHORITIES told us. Their stories have changed.

Lauren Zakalik @wfaalauren · 18m 18 minutes ago

NEW 411: woman is NOT a resident at The Ivy NOR did she vomit on platform, per @dartmedia. She simply spit & stayed at the ivy some time ago

https://twitter.com/wfaalauren

Are LE changing their story or is it the woman changing her story?

Editor's note: Reports are circulating that a person who became ill on a Dallas Area Rapid Transit train today was on an Ebola watch list. Those reports have been debunked by DART officials, according to @NBCDFW. - Aaron

canada to send 800 vials of experimental Ebola vaccine to WHO in Geneva, beginning with 1st shipment on Monday - @PHAC_GC

The report says the value of exit screening at departing airports is low and the impact of entry screening at arriving airports is also minimal.

Among the report’s findings:
Overall, screening for EVD (Ebola Virus Disease) among travelers may detect a few contagious EVD cases over time. Given that exit screening is in place in the affected countries and the poor intrinsic performance of the methods available, entry screening for EVD is likely to have an exceedingly low yield and represents a high investment, which may only contribute to a limited extent, to the prevention of importation of the disease.
newsinconebyone.png

predictive positive value of the detection of one individual through screening is extremely low, as no EVD was confirmed in the 77 who were detected out of 36 000 travellers screened.

: • The use of screening for infectious diseases has not proven to be effective to prevent or delay transmission in past epidemics such as SARS. •

. • Screening will result in a significant increase in the request for Ebola testing.

best temperature screening scheme will: − miss up to 20% miss travellers concealing their fever − miss two-thirds of infected cases, still incubating and not yet presenting with symptoms

− detect cases of fever related to many different infectious diseases such as malaria or influenza;

it is likely that EVD cases will account for an extremely small proportion of febrile passengers, if any. •

• Sensitivity: 80–99%, meaning that between 1 and 20% of the febrile passengers will not be detected (false negative)
• Specificity: 75–99%, meaning that between 1 and 25% of non-febrile passengers will be reported as febrile (false positive).

SARS outbreak

• In Australia, 1.84 million arriving passengers were checked. Four suspected cases were detected but not confirmed later. Five probable cases and 20 suspected cases were missed [14].
• Canada screened 6.5 million people, detected 9 100 febrile travellers and did not identify any cases [15].
• Hong Kong screened 35.6 million people and identified two persons with SARS [16].
• Singapore screened 0.4 million people without detecting SARS cases [16].

unspecific symptoms like fever into account, the positive predictive value of a positive screening result for a rare disease is very low, particularly when the prevalence of other febrile infectious diseases among travellers is higher than that of Ebola (e.g. influenza, malaria).

Fever is a symptom that can be temporarily concealed by using antipyretic drugs.

When exit screening at the airports in the affected western African countries is performed following the CDC guidelines [22], the likelihood of disease progression during the flight to Europe (minimum 6 hours) and presenting with high fever at border entry is likely to be low.

Even the combined use of entry and exit screening as performed in Canada during SARS screening when 763 082 persons were screened (467 870 inbound and 295 212 outbound) did not prevent infected persons either leaving or entering the country [30].

Conclusions
The use of screening for infectious diseases has not proven to be effective to prevent or delay transmission in past epidemics such as SARS.

Overall, screening for EVD among travellers may detect a few contagious EVD cases over time.

No link -- PDF thing! Research

Infection prevention and control measures for Ebola virus disease
Entry and exit screening measures 12 October 2014

Are LE changing their story or is it the woman changing her story?

I don't even know what the truth is anymore.
Was Duncan's neighbor vomiting on a train station or not?
Certainly I would be very concerned if Duncan's neighbor was vomiting on a Dart station even if nobody put her on a official Ebola watch list.
If it's some random woman then it would be business as usual in there apparently (six people vomited just today?)

Clarifying:
sstarr posted this earlier
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/u...la-exposure-21-days-of-fear-and-loathing.html

CDC

"
After a week, the officials told Ms. Jallah, who has had no symptoms, that she could take occasional trips to the store but should avoid public transportation. She has left the apartment only a few times, partly out of obligation and partly because of the shunning she faces wherever she goes.
With so many people indoors for so long, their two-bedroom apartment is predictably chaotic. When not trampolining off the couches, 2-year-old Prophet and 4-year-old King are crashing into each other in pint-size plastic cars. Their wailing is punctuated by the incessant chirp of a smoke alarm in need of a battery. Soap operas blare on the giant-screen television, interrupted by occasional Ebola news updates. Shards of cereal and SunChips spatter the carpet.
“I don’t have anything to do,” Ms. Jallah said, “just sit here with these children fighting each other.”

Boy is that an indictment of the current situation --news outlets are monitoring number of people who are puking in public (Apparently, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins has responsiblity of the press conf)

--I hope they do no move into diarrhea investigation and incidents per 100 surveillance! yuk!!

Coughs per minute?

Sneezes per hour?

So out of control - and IMO if they do not get control of this angle there is going to be a lot more disruption in life as we know it - a lot more than one person passing and 8 or 9 in hospitals

WOnder how one posts job offers for that particular positoin...

I don't even know what the truth is anymore.
Was Duncan's neighbor vomiting on a train station or not?
Certainly I would be very concerned if Duncan's neighbor was vomiting on a Dart station even if nobody put her on a official Ebola watch list.
If it's some random woman then it would be business as usual in there apparently (six people vomited just today?)

For whatever it's worth, NBC nightly news is reporting that a helicopter landed on the Carnival Magic cruise ship so that someone could take a blood sample from the lab worker who is onboard. As is the case with all news, who knows???????????

Most book cruises way in advance - I wonder why I did not see you will be issued a full refund in light of the fact that we have changed rules after you puchased yur cruise wiht us

Thanx for link Bette - I thought this part was interesting
Princess Cruises does not have any ships calling in any countries with Level 3 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Health Notices and none of our crew members are from these areas. We are screening for any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date and they will be denied boarding.

WOnder who can verify if they are doing that! Its about $$$$

!

Press Release – 10/17/2014

Princess Cruises Statement on Ebola

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (October 17, 2014) – At Princess Cruises the safety and health of our guests and crew is our top priority. We understand that media coverage of the Ebola virus and related cases may raise questions among those with upcoming travel plans...

...Currently all embarking guests and ship visitors must complete a mandatory general health screening questionnaire upon embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board. Additionally we will deny boarding to any guest who has had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation until further notice...

http://www.princess.com/news/press_...-Cruises-Statement-on-Ebola.html#.VELLlJV0zX4

DH and I will sail on the Royal Princess in January, 2015. I was curious about any additional precautions that Princess might take in light of Ebola concerns. Sounds like we'll complete the health form that has been required of all embarking passengers for the past 5+ years (symptoms of Norovirus, flu, respiratory illness, etc.).

MOO but I really wish the press in Dallas would take a deep breath, pop the clutch and stop acting like hysterical boys and girls. I for one am weary of the Breaking News when someone simply threw up.

In no way is this pointed towards anyone here as I always search here for any breaking news. I'm addressing the press only because that's where it starts and they are supposed to be professionals.

Both nurses were in the hospital and diagnosed before we knew anything about them. I suspect that anyone else that falls ill with Ebola (pray there are no more) will be checked in, tested and in isolation before it's reported.

Someone up thread mentioned quicker test results in Dallas due to recent changes. That is correct, the Department of Health in Dallas has been cleared to perform the blood test versus sending the sample to Austin.

Intereting numbers

Deaths per week from Ebola in West Africa (as of October 7th): 91

Deaths per week from HIV: 4,795

Deaths per week from diarrhea: 2,828

Number of countries that diagnosed Ebola cases in 2014: 6

Ebola deaths in the US: 1

Ebola cases diagnosed in the US: 3

How many people get Ebola from one infected person: 1.5-2

For every four known Ebola cases, the number of cases that go unreported: 6

Doctors per 100,000 population in the US: 245

In Liberia: 1.4

In Guinea: 10