Canada - Sentry killed in War Memorial shooting, Ottawa, 22 Oct 2014

The two responsible for these last Canadian crimes seem such "lone nut" jihadi.

Hm. I've heard that phrase before.

They're not "lone nuts", they're people that have everything going for them, but for some reason they choose to murder people around them. Somewhere along the way they bought into the belief that because someone on the other side of the world is mad, they too should act with madness. They must be feeble minded to throw their lives away because of a mad man that lives in the desert and cuts off people's heads to make movies ... it's total insanity.

Well I hope this is a wake up call for all of Canada to reunite into a single purpose which is to not let the bullies win by becoming fearful. We are quite capable of taking proactive measures but also quite capable of keeping an appreciation of the freedoms we do enjoy and not let the actions of nutters interfere with our daily joy. (MOO)

Exactly. The media should paint them for what they are: weak minded cowards that run people down in the street and shoot an unarmed 24 year old because their heads are all screwed up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-a-day-of-chaos-leaves-soldier-gunman-dead-1.2808710

This is one of the best videos I have seen cause its not all cut up - it gives you a feel for the evernts

Sheesh ... some guy running around with his cell phone taking video ... getting in the way of police, another one suddenly shouting "lock the doors, lock the doors".

The man that saved the day was the head of security, who just happened to be in the office right around the corner from where the murderer was hiding in an alcove - mere metres from the Prime Minister and his caucus. Vickers got his gun, dove to the floor, fired shots, and killed the murderer.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by otto
I was at work, and had work to do even though what was going on in Ottawa was in the back of my mind. I had to wait until the end of the day to truly understand what had happened. Part of me already misses my calm ignorance. What happened is obviously extremely serious.

9-11 was like that for me too. Therapist – day blocked up into 45 minute sessions. First client hey did you hear someone is flying places into the world trade center. Next pt, come out second tower hit. Next pt come out Pentagon hit. Next pt crash in Pitts. Next pt two planes unaccounted for, Next pt tower collapse. Next pt other tower collapses. Next pt all airways closed. Next pt have not located the two missing planes (turned out not to be true)

So it was like what on earth is going to happen next, cause it was in 45 min chunks, but it was one after the other every pt for hour after hour - grueling is the only word, cause it seemed like it was just never gonna stop

Exactly. The media should paint them for what they are: weak minded cowards that run people down in the street and shoot an unarmed 24 year old because their heads are all screwed up.

There's more than one rabid fox or raccoon in the woods....when they appear then we know what we must do...but we are not going to stop having picnics -- leastways anyone I know won't!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by otto
I was at work, and had work to do even though what was going on in Ottawa was in the back of my mind. I had to wait until the end of the day to truly understand what had happened. Part of me already misses my calm ignorance. What happened is obviously extremely serious.

9-11 was like that for me too. Therapist – day blocked up into 45 minute sessions. First client hey did you hear someone is flying places into the world trade center. Next pt, come out second tower hit. Next pt come out Pentagon hit. Next pt crash in Pitts. Next pt two planes unaccounted for, Next pt tower collapse. Next pt other tower collapses. Next pt all airways closed. Next pt have not located the two missing planes (turned out not to be true)

So it was like what on earth is going to happen next, cause it was in 45 min chunks, but it was one after the other every pt for hour after hour - grueling is the only word, cause it seemed like it was just never gonna stop

Same thing ... meetings with clients that seemed oblivious to what was going on.

I was at home when the planes hit the towers. A friend called from work and said "turn on the TV". One tower was down and people were going into the second one to rescue people. I asked: why are they going into the second tower? If one came down, chances that the second one is coming down are about 100%.

I do hope that W.O. Patrice will receive the same amount of regimental recognition ((he died on duty too after all)) as Cpl Carillo....

My concern is that today's dramatic events have overshadowed the tragedy of Monday's horrible incident.

This really scared me earlier cause it hit me like they know more murderers are out there from this attack. Calmer cause so far no more stupidy has occurred.....and yes i have issues with the boogey man (!) Night just seems scarier - especial in this type of assault.

An you know else is really scary about all these suicide morons, is you know they dont care they will die so it makes it feel like they WILL just keep going casue its not like "Oh I just two guys who eneded up dead, but that does not act like a deterent - if anything it seems to fire em up. I am concerned that what happended a couple of days ago "sped" this murderer up - you know what I mean.

And they must have had good inteligence that things are ramping up, they raised the level, so ...............

imo

Today, soldiers have been ordered to not wear their uniform unless they are working ... and to not stop between work and home if they are in uniform. Canadian soldiers proudly wear their uniform, especially in Ottawa ... I hope it's only a temporary decision.

I was almost due with my first baby. I turned tv on at 10 am. I was dumbstruck. I called my mom told her to turn tv on. 9-11 I found out. It was a definite shock. It did not matter where you were In. The world you felt it.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a calm day across the country.

The Ottawa Citizen is reporting that the gunman suffered from "mental health issues".

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...au-had-lived-in-montreal-vancouver-and-aylmer

from your link:

"His most serious conviction came on Dec. 7, 2004, when Zehaf-Bibeau pleaded guilty to possession of phencyclidine, also known as PCP, and was sentenced to a 60-day prison term. On the same day, he also pleaded guilty to marijuana possession and was sentenced to one day in prison. He has also been convicted for failing to comply with conditions of a release."

bbm isn't that ''angel dust'' -- nasty stuff -- isn't that like incredible angry hulk stuff?

urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PCP&defid=482809

"Also known as angeldust. Probably the scariest of all drugs. Was used as a horse tranquilizer. Makes the user hallucinate, become extremely violent, and not feel anything. People have been known to do horrible things to themselves while under the influence of PCP. DO NOT USE PCP. DO NOT. IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE. "

Or made everyone aware that bad stuff is up - but what typically happens is false alarms , like cry wolf and then bam they do more -- using a car as a weapon has huge implications gloabally. There is no concealing necc, no way to intervene at all.

I do hope that W.O. Patrice will receive the same amount of regimental recognition ((he died on duty too after all)) as Cpl Carillo....

My concern is that today's dramatic events have overshadowed the tragedy of Monday's horrible incident.

Or made everyone aware that bad stuff is up - but what typically happens is false alarms , like cry wolf and then bam they do more -- using a car as a weapon has huge implications gloabally. There is no concealing necc, no way to intervene at all.

using a car is one way......and so is interfering with commerce.

With Christmas and US Thanksgiving around the corner -- malls will be filling up....So I think it is time to really think about exits when go to the mall etc. MOO

Sadly, the proactive measures themselves interfere with what we all appreciate not having govt dictating everything its a hard balacne, like if you want to assure at football game it will be safe then you do have to do searches. Most of us who value freedom really are not fond of standing in line (having to get there a lot earlier) so just on that level they have already impacted what has been our way of life.

Now am I saying waiting in line is a big deal, no, but in the bigger picture, there becomes more and more lines in more places impacting daily living in subtle ways.IMO

Well I hope this is a wake up call for all of Canada to reunite into a single purpose which is to not let the bullies win by becoming fearful. We are quite capable of taking proactive measures but also quite capable of keeping an appreciation of the freedoms we do enjoy and not let the actions of nutters interfere with our daily joy. (MOO)

Oh yea that is what I have been saying, this is a mess, the more simple the operation - the less liklihood of stopping. And picture one shooting in a busy mall - poof --next malls will have to hire security to get people to feel safe to enter - which then translates to I dont know shutting down a lot of doorways in and see we are back to impacting our daily lives. Many would just conclude not this year boom $$$, jobs, that is a huge goal of terrorism is to impact those they hate finacially.

in a matter of moments, the Boston Marathon bombings inflicted as much as $333 million in damage to the local economy in lost wages, retail sales and infrastructure damage, according to preliminary estimates

Total cost of care for 70 hospitalized victims: Could exceed $9 million, according to one rough calculation

Money collected by One Fund Boston established by the city and state to aid marathon victims: $23 million

Total losses from 10 hardest-hit businesses: $2.3 million
Total business losses within the Boston Police Department’s designated “Impact Zone”: $10 million
Size of Small Business Administration loans available to businesses: Up to $2 million
Value of tickets for canceled Celtics-Pacers NBA game: $1.3 million

Lost parking ticket revenue: $8 million
Lost fares, one day of Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority: $1.56 million****

Cost of holding a federal prisoner for one year: $25,000
Cost of holding a federal prisoner in a “supermax” prison for one year: $75,000
I left a lot out casue of the ten percent rule

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...e-financial-costs-of-the-boston-bombings?lite

Advertise | AdChoices

using a car is one way......and so is interfering with commerce.

With Christmas and US Thanksgiving around the corner -- malls will be filling up....So I think it is time to really think about exits when go to the mall etc. MOO

I am very mindful ((cuz I am old)) of how gradually civility erodes......it was only a couple of decades ago, if you were dancing at a club a lady could leave her purse at the table and the purse would be there when she returned.

I share your concerns about long lines and searches that could eventually encourage further self imposed isolation --to the point that we don't even want to go out to an event.

I hope that the next decade or two does not limit museum visits to ''watching online'' with kiddos instead of walking with them through the exhibits.

I really hope we all don't retreat into the cave .....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back