Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about to leave for the day. :)

Without getting into the times when experts are allowed to talk about hearsay anyway, let's just skip ahead to the fact that the hearsay rules and most of the other rules of evidence are pretty much tossed out the window for the penalty phase. So fun!! So free!! :happydance:

No AZL, no, no. No fun at all! It's been horrible so far lol!!

AZL, would Juan be able to call Dr. Hiatt in his rebuttal?

I know I have seen other cases where witnesses have testified about statements the deceased victim had told them prior to being murdered. I just think his testimony would be so credible.

Its just a shame that he told someone close to him that he felt Jodi was going to kill him one day and for the jury to never know that.

TIA

Just about to leave for the day. :)

Without getting into the times when experts are allowed to talk about hearsay anyway, let's just skip ahead to the fact that the hearsay rules and most of the other rules of evidence are pretty much tossed out the window for the penalty phase. So fun!! So free!! :happydance:

Thank You. Much appreciated. It was really bugging me. :)

Granted, I'm middle aged now, but so much of this talk about relationships seemed to be more on the level of very young adults, not people in their late twenties and thirty.

Arias allegedly had been in a long term relationship with a man 20 years her senior who made it very clear from the start that marriage was out of the question. The jury knows this. So how do they reconcile this with what the expert has told them over these past few days? Keep in mind the expert used the word prostitute when there is no intimacy involved, so this could extend to her relationship with Brewer as well.

I just don't get the approach of the defense and I sure hope that the jury feels the same way.

Martinez has so much he can cover and his experts will be able to bring out more this next time around.

She's already been found guilty. Now the matter is whether or not this jury finds that her mitigators, if any, outweigh the aggravators.

MK sure doesn't try to hide his bias in his articles.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

MK sure doesn't try to hide his bias in his articles.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

You are right and it is quite surprising. Surely he realizes he is in the minority in his views.

Maybe he just likes the attention of taking a minority view that is different than 90+ % of the public's viewpoint.

So..six hours and a few emails were read, video testimony established that Travis and Jodi had a spat on a road trip and a young Morman girl Travis was dating objected when he grabbed her butt? Pretty great mitigation stuff, right?

6 hours plus preparation time X $300.00 for Nurmi.

Travis wasn't always very nice to women and he wasn't necessarily always nice to Arias either and yes, there were times he was a jerk. And yes, Arias does also have some abuse or abusive episodes in her background.

But NONE of that is an excuse for murder. She committed first degree cold blooded murder. Planned and executed. It's a reason perhaps, but not an excuse. She had free will to stay away from him. She chose her path and her path led her right to his house on a many thousand mi journey to kill him.

Granted, I'm middle aged now, but so much of this talk about relationships seemed to be more on the level of very young adults, not people in their late twenties and thirty.

Arias allegedly had been in a long term relationship with a man 20 years her senior who made it very clear from the start that marriage was out of the question. The jury knows this. So how do they reconcile this with what the expert has told them over these past few days? Keep in mind the expert used the word prostitute when there is no intimacy involved, so this could extend to her relationship with Brewer as well.

I just don't get the approach of the defense and I sure hope that the jury feels the same way.

Martinez has so much he can cover and his experts will be able to bring out more this next time around.

She's already been found guilty. Now the matter is whether or not this jury finds that her mitigators, if any, outweigh the aggravators.

But does THIS jury really know this? The last jury understood her previous relationship(s), at least somewhat. But THIS jury doesn't know all that things the FIRST one did. There is no way that Juan will be able to spend the kind of time needed to review all of this stuff. Which is why I don't understand why it was not possible to take the footage from the first trial, strip out sidebars and stuff the jury didn't see as testimony and simply play it for the second jury. It would certainly take less time and wouldn't give the dang defense another shot of making up a brand new strategy.

Geez, it is all so infuriating.

How old is/was Desiree?

Didn't she have a crush on Travis ahem T Dogg, while Dan crushed on Stabby?

Because she was tall for a 12-year-old, and reportedly had a crush on Travis. This just came out that she was only 12 at the time. How would she know anything about their love life??? At least the Hughes were adults, not that even his "best friends" had a right to pressure him whom to marry and how to treat a woman. They clearly didn't know what abuse and sociopathy were. Travis was the furthest thing from abusive. I would've said much worse to Jodi and called the cops on her!

The entire smear campaign is beyond repugnant. At times it seems surreal but then I know it is reality and is actually happening in a courtroom in our country.

To Nurmi, Travis had to be perfect, period. He couldn't be like a gazillion other guys and gals that play the field and have booty calls. If Travis did it then it is abuse. Never mind, that most adults in their lifetime have yelled at someone in anger or dated multiple people. It only becomes gross abuse if Travis did it. No matter how far JA pushed him TA had to be a super duper human who never lost his temper. And never mind that JA was also a practicing Mormon. She can sin all she wants......no big deal but if Travis also had human frailties and gave into his dangerous manipulative black widow then HE is the abuser and she is a damsel in distress.

Never mind, that they only dated 5 months and then broke up. Never mind , SHE is the one who pursued him even moving to Az so she could spy and stalk him/slash his tires, and entering his home unannounced. To KN what JA did was acceptable. See Nurmi has taken all the human rights away from Travis that other human beings are given. Others can, and do play the field especially if they are single and not even engaged. Others can yell or show all sorts of emotions, such as frustrations, and anger when they are done wrong. But oh no, not Travis Alexander. Travis Alexander had to be as pure as snow with no imperfections at all.

And because he was human and really did have human emotions of all kinds stirred up by his demonic sociopath then to KN he deserves to be stabbed 29 times, have his throat cut, and shot in the head. That is what KN is trying to convince the jury of.........that Travis deserved to die because he tried to get away from the one person who had ruined his life. How dare he displease Ms. Arias and not give her what she wanted. GAG!

KN: Travis was a Mormon-he sinned- he deserved to die.
KN: Travis tried to get away from his sociopath and for that he deserves to die.
KN: Travis didn't marry the one woman who made his life a living hell and for that he deserves to die.
KN: Travis had sex with a very willing participant but he deserves to die because all of her sexcapades didn't work.

And the most revolting part of this is the glee in which KN and JA have in destroying a victim that just couldn't take the emotional/mental horrific abuse anymore.

I have seen victims re-victimized in court trials before but never, ever, ever, to this degree. They have really reduced Travis down to nothing by making him into this fantasy character figure Travis never was and never would be.

Not one person in 6 years has ever said that Travis ever was abusive to them when they were dating and all of those who did date him remained his friend afterward. That is the real Travis and who he was and what he stood for and playing the field in not abuse. Its being young and single and a lot of guys are afraid of commitments. If that was abuse millions of men and women would be guilty of it.

To KN everyone had choices in life except for Travis. He had to commit to JA even if he didn't love her because the way KN has created this charade is JA was perfect in every way and if Travis batted his beautiful eyelashes it was wrong and no matter what JA did it was acceptable..even murdering him the way she did.

After all she didn't get her man even when she used every trick in the sex book to hook him. So when he didn't hook like a fish on a line for the one and only JA well of course KN thinks he deserved to die and that is what he is trying to drive home to the jury.:(

But I was afraid they were going to see a large wall of his curse words towards her, and would have that all weekend. But he ended with a whimper....

Yes, that is the way Nurmi ended, that is the way Nurmi ended, not with a bang but a whimper. (apologies to TS Elliott)

I feel like this defense can't fly for anyone who spent four years on a college campus.

JSKS' Court Calendar currently shows nothing for the especially cruel lying torture murderess until 11/17.

That'd be Monday. Typically there hasn't been testimony on Fridays, only motions.

I get from the synopses by Beth K. (kudos Beth!!), that the argument is made that because TA dated two women at the same time, he damaged their self-esteem, and therefore he was cruel to them.

To that I say - Nurmi and the defense psychologist, you are just....so high-school.

Most people would be affected by that, but it doesn't lower your self-esteem...it lowers your esteem of the person you are trying to date.
Your level of self-esteem determines how you respond to the insult.
It is not "cruel" in the sense of an abusive relationship; "playing the field" is the way humans act (on average) when they are trying to establish a pair bond.

I certainly knew people that were much "crueler" - both men and women.
And how many Sleuths reading this board found out that their "sig other" was "dating" other people?
Hey, it hurts a lot, we get over it (at least partially), we move on. We find someone better.
In our search, we take our self-esteem with us, for better or worse.

Good point.
Deanna and Lisa seem to have recovered nicely from the "abuse". They got over it, moved on etc.
Only Jodi the sociopath couldn't accept the rejection

I think damaging one's self-esteem is a very subjective thing. My daughter is 14 going on 35 (and in the I know more than you ever will Mom phase). She's brilliant at art and photography. Since she was about 4 years old I've told her she can't grow up to be a princess and probably not a supermodel or pop diva - but if she works really hard at developing her natural talent, she may find a job she loves that makes her happy. I don't care if she works at McDonald's as long as she's content. I try to keep it real with my kids.

So...am I pragmatic and realistic? Or abusive and damaging her self-esteem by not wanting her to chase a fairy tale for half her life before being heartbroken? Rhetorical question - but I think Fonseca is very misguided with what damages self-esteem and to what extent.

JMO and FWIW
Oh, that's abusive- telling her she can't grow up to be Snow White or a pop diva!!!

His latest article is incredibly blatant. I don't think he cares anymore.

IMO he's trying to wipe some of the egg off his face, but now even to a casual reader it must be clear he lost his objectivity long long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea