TX- State vs. Nelson, Mona Yvette

My guess -although extemely violent and horrible- is that they do not have a real motive and it was not premeditated (at least as far as they can prove)

My guess -although extemely violent and horrible- is that they do not have a real motive and it was not premeditated (at least as far as they can prove)

The motive was she was in angry in a drunken rage because, Jonathan wouldn't let her in according to prosecution. As stupid as it sounds it maybe the only real motive besides Mona being a sadistic, cruel, low-IQ child killer.
Didn't they say early one they have other unsolved murders in Texas that have the same method (burning)? Perhaps, she gave info for a deal on another case.

The same reason I forgave the murderer of my brother and his wife. As long as I hate? He has a hold on me, and I refuse him that privileged. As MLK once said, I will ALLOW no man to narrow and degrade my soul, by making me hate him. Hating and NOT forgiving can, and will eat you up inside. The mother and family deserve better...

Tulessa, you never cease to amaze and inspire me. You are a jewel of a person. I think you have a lot to teach the world about how to survive tragedy and how to retain your humanity and grace while doing so. Dang.

I could say something but that would probably get me in trouble here. You can't really be a father figure or be considered a step dad in 3 weeks. That's how long Jonathan lived with him. Jonathan forever holds a special place in my heart, he wasn't just my nephew. We raised him for 4 years. The heart ache that child went through in 4 years of just wanting to be accepted by his mother, to know that she loved him and cared about him. If I didn't live in Missouri I would have been there for the trial,and the verdict. It's really a shame that his mother wasn't there for him then and isn't still today.

I have been on Websleuths for 5 years I think now, and there have so many horrible cases involving children. But this one really upset me for ages. What was done to him...........and by a woman. The majority of women have some form of natural instinct towards children and you know how innocent they are and something inside makes you treat them differently to how you treat adults because of this innocence (hope I have explained that ok), so I could never understand how this woman could do this to a child!!!

I have only got on today to read the verdict and I read your post above and it made me cry. If there is a god, afterlife, reincarnation whatever I hope this little boy is getting the best of it....

Mona Nelson has been transferred from the Harris County Jail - Houston, TX to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice on 9/17/2013.

This info is via an e-mail to me from the Texas Statewide VINE Service.

Snipped from an e-mail to me:

9/17/2013

This email is to inform you of the recent transfer of MONA NELSON from the HARRIS COUNTY JAIL to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice on 9/17/2013.

Bumping this thread to say that I always think of Jonathan at this time of year and will never forget him.

Mona Y. Nelson is currently serving her prison sentence at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) - Hobby Unit in Marlin, Falls County, TX.
~~~

NELSON, MONA YVETTE

Offense Date
2010-12-24

Offense
CAPITAL MURDER

Sentence Date
2013-08-27

County
HARRIS

Case No.

Sentence (YY-MM-DD)
5555-55-55

SID Number:

TDCJ Number:

Name:

NELSON,MONA YVETTE

Race:

B

F

DOB:

1966-03-06

Maximum Sentence Date:

LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Current Facility:

HOBBY

Projected Release Date:

LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Parole Eligibility Date:

LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Sources:

http://offender.tdcj.state.tx.us/OffenderSearch/offenderDetail.action?sid=03712112
Texas Department of Criminal Justice - Offender Search/Detail
~~~~~~~

http://tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/hb.html
Texas Department of Criminal Justice - HOBBY

As expected, Mona Y. Nelson filed an appeal with the First Court of Appeals in Houston, Harris County, TX.

The case began on 9/5/13 in the First Court of Appeals.

The documents (to date) regarding this appeal are available to read in PDF form as well as what has transpired the past several months. You will have to go to the Linked site (see below). You can follow Mona Nelson's appeal at the Linked site. Check the First Court of Appeals site ever so often.

12/6/13 thru 2/3/14 under CASE EVENTS is added and I posted it in a different format compared to 8/27/13 thru 12/2/13.

You may have to provide some of Nelson's info to get to her info on the First Court of Appeals site. All case info (to date) is listed below.

As many of you may know, an appeal is a slow process.
~~~~~

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Case.aspx?cn=01-13-00769-CR
TxCourts.gov - First Court of Appeals - Mona Yvette Nelson

Case # 01-13-00769-CR

Case Information:

Case Number: 01-13-00769-CR
Date Filed: 09/05/2013
Case Type: Capital Murder
Style: Mona Yvette Nelson
v.: The State of Texas
Original Proceeding: No

Appellate Briefs:

No Briefs.

Case Events:

Date

Event Type

Description

Disposition

* Document

02/03/2014 Motion for extension of time to file brief disposed Appellant Grant motion to extend time; absent extraordinary circumstances, Court will not grant additional motions to extend time Notice [ PDF/89 KB ]

02/03/2014 Motion for extension of time to file brief filed Appellant Extension [ PDF/18 KB ]

02/03/2014 Appellants brief due Appellant

01/06/2014 Motion for extension of time to file brief disposed Appellant Motion or Writ Granted Notice [ PDF/73 KB ]

01/03/2014 Motion for extension of time to file brief filed Appellant Extension [ PDF/129 KB ]

01/03/2014 Appellants brief due Appellant

12/06/2013 Response due Appellant

12/02/2013 Reporters record filed Court Reporter

11/26/2013 Exhibits filed Court Reporter

11/26/2013 Reporters record filed Court Reporter

Notice [ PDF/64 KB ]

11/06/2013 Notice of late record Court Reporter

Order [ PDF/181 KB ]
Notice [ PDF/73 KB ]

10/28/2013 Record due

10/16/2013 Clerks record filed Appellant

Notice [ PDF/72 KB ]

10/02/2013 Reporters record filed Court Reporter

09/12/2013 Docketing statement filed Appellant

Other [ PDF/414 KB ]

09/05/2013 Notice of appeal received Appellant

Notice [ PDF/83 KB ]

09/05/2013 Case began in court of appeals

08/27/2013 Notice of appeal filed in trial court

08/27/2013 Sentence imposed in the trial court

Note by Ann-Tx: At the linked site (see above), you can click on the PDF under document and read the document.

Calendars:

Set Date

Calendar Type

Reason Set

12/06/2013 Status Response due
12/06/2013 Status Court reporters record due

Parties:

Party

Party Type

Representative

The State of Texas Criminal - State of Texas Alan Curry
Devon Anderson

Nelson, Mona Yvette Criminal - Appellant Allen C. Isbell

Trial Court Information:

Trial Court: 182nd District Court
County: Harris
Trial Court Judge: Honorable Jeannine Barr
Trial Court Case #: 1394964
Trial Court Reporter: Roxanne Wiltshire
Punishment: Life TDCJ

Hi, Amanda!

Just now seeing your comment. You are welcome.

I think you do an amazing and awesome job with the Crankycrankerson Archives. Thank you for your hard work on so many of the cases you work on!

I am getting ready to post updated info re Mona Nelson's appeal. As expected, she is seeking a reversal in her conviction, etc.

The Brief is an interesting read. I can hardly wait to read the State's Brief which is due in April.

I sure hope Nelson does not "get a new trial" on appeal!

The Brief for Appellant (Mona Yvette Nelson - appellant) was received and filed with the First Court of Appeals (Houston - Harris County, TX) on 3/5/2014. Oral argument is waived.

There is info in the brief that was not reported by the media and you might find it of interest.

The Brief is 45 pages long. You can read it by clicking on the pdf under Document for 3/5/2014. See Link below. I will try to Link the pdf direct also. Allen C. Isbell is Nelson's attorney of record re the Brief.

In the Conclusion and Prayer (Pages 43 and 44), Appellant prays that the judgment of conviction be reversed and the cause remanded for a new trial.

The appellee's (State - District Attorney's Office - Houston, Harris County, TX - Appellate Division) Brief is due on or before 4/4/2014 (per the Notice - pdf on 3/5/2014).

I am very interested in the State's response to appellant's (Mona Nelson) Brief.

Warning: Some may consider the discussion, in the brief, about Jonathan Foster's burnt body graphic.

TxCourts.gov - First Court of Appeals - Mona Yvette Nelson -- Case Number: 01-13-00769-CR
~~~~~

Direct Links to pdf's

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...&MediaID=bd99d375-b373-49e6-93f1-72c612ff6d63
TxCourts.gov - First Court of Appeals -- pdf Brief for Appellant Mona Yvette Nelson -- 45 pages

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...8b5-4ecc-805e-fdfc768533cb&coa=coa01&DT=BRIEF FLD NO&MediaID=3be9f6da-781f-4134-84b5-b0f1bd527ea4
TxCourts.gov - First Court of Appeals -- pdf Notice -- Mona Yvette Nelson

To read the appeal, I am wondering if she has a leg to stand on so to speak.

I believe she did it. But to read her attys brief, she may just get another trial. I just don't know what to think. I will be glad to read the pros brief.

To read the appeal, I am wondering if she has a leg to stand on so to speak.

I believe she did it. But to read her attys brief, she may just get another trial. I just don't know what to think. I will be glad to read the pros brief.

Amanda, it was somewhat convincing wasn't it?! I have been so convinced of her complete guilt. However, some of the arguments in the brief can be explained a bit. The "black man" that came to the apt could have easily been her. She is very masculine, and we know witnesses can be confused when it is something so tragic. Also, she is still trying to blame Jonathan's dad, but it sounds to me like his alibi is quite tight.

The information in the brief about the carpet evidence and such confuses me.

Since she was convicted by a judge, not a jury, I hope the conviction stands!!

Well let's see what I know :)

Just reading the table of contents of Appellant's brief, Error 1 is reversible error if found to be true and would likely result in a new trial. Again - IF found to be true.

I was expecting a list of errors. There is only the 1 error, so Appellant has to prove it is true and show it was to her detriment. This is a constitutional issue because the 6th Amend. gives everyone the right to counsel at all stages of the controversy.

I'm reading now.

Salem

It doesn't say what time Angela went to work?

It appears the crux of the error is based on a conversation between the 2 officers in MN's presence, after MN asked for an attorney. The conversation happened while the officers were transporting MN to jail. The Supreme Court has ruled that conversations, meant to induce an arrestee to make inculpatory statements, after a request for counsel, is unconstitutional. Can't remember the case name, but it was about a that kidnapped a child and would not tell police where the child was.

She has a strong case for coerced statements. There was not much time between her saying she wanted a lawyer, the ride to jail, and then her subsequently making the statements. That goes in her favor.

Where I would argue is that MN said she wanted to speak and they gave her plenty of time to think about it. They drove her to the hospital, she received treatment. They went back to the station and they had her waive her Miranda rights, again. She had time to get past any conversation in the car and refuse to waive her rights, if she desired to do so.

Let's see what the prosecution has to say.

Salem

Well the Prosecution's response is not posted yet, so I guess I will have to wait.

Interesting about the lack of DNA here. I was not aware of that, nor do I remember the other voices heard during the phone calls to Johnathan's mother's work place.

Salem

The state filed and was granted a time extension until May 5th, 2014.

Salem

The State has filed their brief. Per linked site below, the date filed is 5/13/14. You can click on the pdf under Document heading.

TxCourts.gov - First Court of Appeals - Mona Yvette Nelson -- Case Number: 01-13-00769-CR

I will post a direct link to the pdf (Brief filed by the State).
I hope you can click on.

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...&MediaID=22ec0200-34d3-4883-94e4-6977682d89e9
TxCourts.gov - State of Texas brief with file date of 5/13/14 - re Mona Yvette Nelson

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back