MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
26316984-7cf4-43f2-8577-119375693be5_zps5c423847.png

http://wreg.com/2014/12/07/father-speaks-out-after-daughter-set-on-fire-and-killed/

Most people don't think about losing a child the way Ben Chambers lost his. “When the fire department got there they say she was on fire out in the road,” Chambers recalled. Jessica, who was 19 years old, was burned.

“You couldn’t recognize her because she was unrecognizable,” Chambers described what he was told by doctors. “The doctor told us it wasn’t nothing we can do you know she was burned 98% of her body.” Jessica died after being airlifted to Regional Medical Center in Memphis.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/2...ting-death-of-woman-found-burned-near-her-car

Darby says by the time rescue workers got on the scene the car was fully engulfed in flames. The driver tried to tell rescuers something but she was so badly burned she could not be understood...

The fire happened around 8:15 Saturday night just south of Courtland. The Panola County coroner has identified the victim as 19-year old Jessica Lane Chambers.

LE is apparently interested in two young men who were with Jessica shortly before her death.
Jessica Chambers, Teen Burned to Death, Mourned at Funeral
NBC News
December 13, 2014

"We're going to focus our energy on the capture of those who did this," said Sanders, who planned to honor Chambers by decorating a Christmas tree in her memory — the holiday was Chambers' favorite time of year. "Her mother and I were there when she took her last breath," Sanders said. "The fire took all that away."

Investigators think Mississippi teen may not have been alone when she burned
By Vivian Kuo, Martin Savidge and Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
updated 1:43 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014

Batesville, Mississippi (CNN) -- Investigators "are looking at the strong possibility" someone was in the car with a 19-year-old Mississippi woman moments before a fire engulfed the vehicle, a prosecuting attorney said Friday.

But District Attorney John Champion would not say what led investigators to believe Jessica Chambers wasn't alone just before the fire burned her and the car Saturday night near a rural road near Courtland, Mississippi.

[...]

After obtaining warrants and cracking a password, police were able to access Chambers' phone records and are following up on leads, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Police are searching her data and text records after obtaining warrants Wednesday that compelled Google and her cell phone provider to give police access to her phone's content, Champion said. Investigators believe her phone will be "the key to everything," the prosecutor said. She received a call before she left her house, he said.

If you have information that may lead to an arrest, please contact the Panola County Sheriff's Office at (662) 563-6230.
Skibaboo's Map

MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 **Media Thread***NO DISCUSSION***

Thread #1

WHAT SITES CAN I LINK?

1. Mainstream media news (MSM)
2. Justice for Jessica Lane FB -- https://www.facebook.com/JUSTICEforJESSICALANE
3. Law enforcement websites

CAN I LINK TO A BLOG?

NO blogs are approved in this case at the moment.

CAN I LINK TO A FB PAGE OTHER THAN THE "JUSTICE FOR" PAGE?

MSM or LE related FB and Twitter pages; and Jessica's personal page. Remember, you CANNOT post names of her FB friends, sleuth her friends, or gossip about them.

CAN I POST ABOUT WHAT I READ AT AN OFF LIMITS SITE?

NO. If the site can't be linked, then you can't post what you read on it.

CAN I POST PHOTOS FROM A PERSONAL FB PAGE?

NO. Images must come from an approved source (i.e., MSM) and be accompanied by a link to the source.

Rules: Etiquette & Information

[...]

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player.

[...]

Posting a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function or email staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

i think if you had a typical canister of lighter fluid, say the size someone might buy to use while grilling, you could spray that much inside a car and definitely start a fire that would end up consuming the entire vehicle.

the video tape discrepancies could have an innocent explanation, i think most of us have seen cases where store camera tapes have seemed inexplicable at first but then it is explained. sometimes they switch views on a timer, or record at really low FPS, have artifacts from rerecording etc...

this is just a complete hunch and opinion thing, but i dont see this as being a primarily sexually motivated offense, i see the motivation as being payback or anger directed specifically at her by someone she knew.

I also have another simple question. Can someone have so much lighter fluid at hand to burn a whole car? I doubt it. It is much more likely that gas was used in that horrendous crime. Another interesting point is why would LE let that part of the video (guys filling gas cans) appear all over. They could have edited it. Is there is a reason behind it? One could speculate about it.

From what I have read, the video was not released by the LE originally. It came from investigative reporters first. And it was edited before it was given to them, reportedly.

Going to repost my last thoughts from the previous thread:

In Court, you must have evidence to prove a crime, not disprove one.

So much information in this case and it is perpetuated by the media. Her dad, bless his heart, was interviewed by the media and his report of lighter fluid poured into her mouth and nose before being set on fire created the media fire storm. As far as the video at the gas station, the guy in the striped shirt has been cleared, since he was getting gas for a generator... The person she was waving to has been identified and cleared as well. What hasn't been clarified is if she actually went to a party. This story originally caught my attention because of the horrific nature of a young girl walking down the road in flames and approaching a fire fighter to identify her killer. Much of that has proved rumor. The rumors have to be set aside and start from fresh... A burning car on the side of the road and a girl next to it who has been been burned too.

Still wondering about the details of the party.

BBM

-Location?

-Who hosted the party?

-What type of party was it? (birthday party for a young child?, family party?, poker party?, under-age drinking party?, drug party?, Tupperware party?)

-How many people were there? A few or a lot? Who?

-What time did the party start and end?

-Did anyone see JC?

-Did she drop someone off or leave with someone?

-Did she stay for any amount of time? If so, how long?

I keep wondering about this too. I grew up in a pretty rural area. When I was a teenager we had a lot of gatherings out in the midle of the woods. Nothing needed but a keg and some smokes. One of the locations we frequented was on the other side of a cattle gate that looked a lot like the gate that was close to the spot where JCs car was found.

Maybe there wasn't even really a party that night. Maybe someone just wanted to lure her out to that spot.

This case has really been on my mind. When seeing the video of where her car was it looks like it had gone off the road. And the photos of the car look like it was dented in the back passenger side. She had a gash to her head. Makes me wonder if she was run off the road and then set on fire to cover it up. I wonder if anyone has noticed someone who has a car not driving themselves lately.

Young woman is said to have purchased more than twice as much gas as usual, plus cigarettes though the family says she didn't smoke. She is then found burned beside her car. Explain why one should not assume there is a connection here.

I just feel this wasn't a "lure" situation. Trust me, I have studied this kind of thing for a while. I will never doubt the local police force in trying to solve a crime, they are often under appreciated and under paid, but they must be nervous by the amount of attention Jessica's case is receiving and the media is saying "murderer." I am not sure that is the case.

I just finished watching the funeral service online. I was left with one big question. From the pictures I've seen, she had many friends of different ethnic make-up then her own. In the audience, I didn't see one person who wasn't Caucasian. Would the perps want to stay away from the funeral, or would the be drawn to it?

I've been waiting to see if anyone local addressed this. Since not, I guess I should tell my story:

I am NOT from that area and have never lived there. But I do have relatives there. Passing through once on my way further south, I arranged to meet a group of relatives for dinner at a popular restaurant that also has a bar with music and dance.

We had a great dinner, wonderful visit, and even danced a bit. A good time was had by all, you could say. But I was woefully behind in a project that required me to briefly interview 100 people. I'm being intentionally vague about the details for the protection of my privacy.

Looking around, I saw every table in ghe restaurant and every seat at the bar full, some people standing around the small dance floor, and people lingering outside, presumably to smoke. I thought "what a great opportunity to interview a sizable number of people in a short period of time".

I spent the next 30 minutes "mixing" with the crowd, speaking with about everyone in the building. I wasn't invasive at all and everyone, without exception, was open and friendly. As I finished interviewing at one table or group, another group would beacon me to come talk to them. I quickly had more than half my project done and was thrilled. On top of that, I had the pleasure of meeting a truly amazing community of the nicest folks I'd seen in one place at one time.

Once finished, I stepped outside to rejoin several members of my own group as they took in some fresh air. What happened next took me completely by surprise.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?" shouted a local resident of my own group.

Mind you, I was in my late 50s, accompanied the whole time by my husband, and had not engaged in anything remotely 'flirtatious'. I had explained my professional 'project' to each person I interviewed. I was befuddled and confused by the considerable anger coming from this local fella.

As I blinked in the headlights, clueless, he continued to say things like "YOU MUST BE CRAZY TO HAVE A DEATH WISH LIKE THAT". Then it hit me with a sickening thud. I felt like I fell down a rabbit hole and landed squarely in a KKK meeting in the 50s. He was referring to the fact that there was a mix of ethnicities in that restaurant and I had dared speak with ALL of them alike.
Somehow, my speaking with, shaking hands, laughing with, and sitting at tables with people who were not WHITE endangered my LIFE in the eyes of this long term generational local. He seemed to imply that I should get out of town fast before the sun came back up.

I know this sounds unreal, especially for those who did not grow up in the south. It was unreal to me also and sickening.

All I can say is if what I did that night in a very public venue in the presence of my husband and many extended family members meant my very LIFE was then at risk (from whites, not from people of color) then I can't begin to imagine what risk Jessica Chambers ran. And the 'risk factors' are embedded throughout all rungs. Believe it!

There. I've said it. It seems no one else that is local is willing to speak up. I can understand: It doesn't take seeing many burned alive to silence people.

This is NOT to say Jessica wasn't killed by an ex, by a jealous woman, by a rejected man, etc. I'm just sayin' that the racist stuff is still seriously pathological in that part of the country and pretty high up the ranks, too.[emoji15]

I just feel this wasn't a "lure" situation. Trust me, I have studied this kind of thing for a while. I will never doubt the local police force in trying to solve a crime, they are often under appreciated and under paid, but they must be nervous by the amount of attention Jessica's case is receiving and the media is saying "murderer." I am not sure that is the case.

This is just my opinion, but I think it was definitely murder, and about as vicious a murder as can be imagined, and I think more than a few people in that town probably know the who and why...again, jmo

I've been waiting to see if anyone local addressed this. Since not, I guess I should tell my story:

I am NOT from that area and have never lived there. But I do have relatives there. Passing through once on my way further south, I arranged to meet a group of relatives for dinner at a popular restaurant that also has a bar with music and dance.

We had a great dinner, wonderful visit, and even danced a bit. A good time was had by all, you could say. But I was woefully behind in a project that required me to briefly interview 100 people. I'm being intentionally vague about the details for the protection of my privacy.

Looking around, I saw every table in ghe restaurant and every seat at the bar full, some people standing around the small dance floor, and people lingering outside, presumably to smoke. I thought "what a great opportunity to interview a sizable number of people in a short period of time".

I spent the next 30 minutes "mixing" with the crowd, speaking with about everyone in the building. I wasn't invasive at all and everyone, without exception, was open and friendly. As I finished interviewing at one table or group, another group would beacon me to come talk to them. I quickly had more than half my project done and was thrilled. On top of that, I had the pleasure of meeting a truly amazing community of the nicest folks I'd seen in one place at one time.

Once finished, I stepped outside to rejoin several members of my own group as they took in some fresh air. What happened next took me completely by surprise.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?" shouted a local resident of my own group.

Mind you, I was in my late 50s, accompanied the whole time by my husband, and had not engaged in anything remotely 'flirtatious'. I had explained my professional 'project' to each person I interviewed. I was befuddled and confused by the considerable anger coming from this local fella.

As I blinked in the headlights, clueless, he continued to say things like "YOU MUST BE CRAZY TO HAVE A DEATH WISH LIKE THAT". Then it hit me with a sickening thud. I felt like I fell down a rabbit hole and landed squarely in a KKK meeting in the 50s. He was referring to the fact that there was a mix of ethnicities in that restaurant and I had dared speak with ALL of them alike.
Somehow, my speaking with, shaking hands, laughing with, and sitting at tables with people who were not WHITE endangered my LIFE in the eyes of this long term generational local. He seemed to imply that I should get out of town fast before the sun came back up.

I know this sounds unreal, especially for those who did not grow up in the south. It was unreal to me also and sickening.

All I can say is if what I did that night in a very public venue in the presence of my husband and many extended family members meant my very LIFE was then at risk (from whites, not from people of color) then I can't begin to imagine what risk Jessica Chambers ran. And the 'risk factors' are embedded throughout all rungs. Believe it!

There. I've said it. It seems no one else that is local is willing to speak up. I can understand: It doesn't take seeing many burned alive to silence people.

This is NOT to say Jessica wasn't killed by an ex, by a jealous woman, by a rejected man, etc. I'm just sayin' that the racist stuff is still seriously pathological in that part of the country and pretty high up the ranks, too.[emoji15]

BBM...If what you say is true, it seems her life would have been much more in danger while she was in the relationship, not after it had ended. She reportedly had no bf at the time of her death. I think there is a gang element involved here...JMO

Racism may be on a lot of people's minds. I had heard some some previous threads mention her ex-boyfriend was black and other judging the three guys in the gas station video socializing with one another. That is just wrong. I don't know the racial make up in her community but to attempt to prescribe that as a reason for what happened is presumptive. Anyway, thanks for you story. You have been there, seen it and realize how it hurts.

She may not have had a boyfriend that her family knew about, but she may have been involved with someone they didn't know about. Or she may have been involved in a casual affair with someone. Who knows? This case just seems to get more and more confusing every day. ��

BBM...If what you say is true, it seems her life would have been much more in danger while she was in the relationship, not after it had ended. She reportedly had no bf at the time of her death. I think there is a gang element involved here...JMO
I think gang involvement is also a likely possibility. But it's good to be aware of all the options. Maybe she was on the verge of a reconciliation with former bf, or had one or more 'hookups' with someone that put her at risk. There are a number of options here. I am just pointing out my own experience with racism and deadly threats in that same community.

ETA: and I was merely passing through, total time there about 2-2.5 hours.

Domestic violence is certainly an angle I am looking into further. I worked as a counselor/advocate for our county women's shelter for several years and have seen horrible things. I had to get out of that line of work. No stomach for it. A few of the women I have helped over the years were murdered.

I have nothing to base this on but intuition. MOO

First,the fact that Jessica put in more fuel than usual. I wonder if she was going to meet up with someone to clear up a misunderstanding? Perhaps they could drive around and just talk. Perhaps she was apprehensive and went back into the convenience store for a pack of cigarettes to give her something to fiddle with;so as to appear more relaxed and confident? The scenerio feels somehow clandestine to me.MOO

She may not have had a boyfriend that her family knew about, but she may have been involved with someone they didn't know about. Or she may have been involved in a casual affair with someone. Who knows? This case just seems to get more and more confusing every day. ��
For her age and circumstances, this is quite possible. And if there was racism in her own family, all the more reason to keep her private life private.

One other thing I noted: there was a good age difference between JC and her previous bf, if media reports were correct about who that was...Can someone address whether that info was right or not?

If her previous bf was more than 10 years older, then it would not be too unlikely for a newer emerging love interest to also be a bit older. And given her circumstances, maybe even someone she felt was in a position to take care of her financially, maybe with a house, job, land, assets of some kind.

From what I have read, the video was not released by the LE originally. It came from investigative reporters first. And it was edited before it was given to them, reportedly.

You're completely right. The video found and was scooped by MSM. The focus was on the big lumbering white striped guy who was holding some container in his left hand and fills it while Jessica is off to the side talking to a friend. Then, there was video of the officers recording the footage from M&M's security cams at the store off the screen, that same night. Better versions were tweaked and appeared after that. Additional was released video of a guy with a maybe 3 gallon canister paying at the counter, wearing a dark sweater with thin white stripes, walking out and going to the pump to fill it, and walking off to the side, in the link below as it was stated that he was cleared. Now, it seemed like a different guys to me at first, because on one video the guy looks different, taller, thinner, a fast long gait, and bigger definable different container, holding it with his right hand. On the other he looks big, much bigger white stripes, lumbering from side to side, slow, heavy, small stepped gait, and holding what seems like a smaller container, but LE says they cleared "this guy" in the striped sweater and Zool says the time stamp shows it is the same guy. Below are various versions
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story...rt-burning-victim-before-death?autostart=true (after the fire chief interview, the white striped sweater guy shown at the counter as cleared) a different version of the same a little clearer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK56BZ0A30c
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sica-Chambers-burned-alive.html#ixzz3LlTZxrR7 clearer version but shorter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUivKX1lueE

There is no mistaking that this is a most difficult case for the local LE. We don't know if this was a random or targeted attack and we are also not privy (& rightfully so), to all the information in LE's possession. I am not being critical of LE's job in this case but IMO, if the case goes unsolved for much longer, I think it would be prudent to call in other LE agencies (state police, FBI?), who have far more resources and state of the art investigative techniques. I also hope that the ME did a thorough examination as well as the forensic lab that examines the car, as critical evidence should be retrieved from both. As far as determining the identity of any accelerant, this should be known pretty soon IMO. We have had some awful house and car fires recently and if they suspect arson, the Ontario Fire Marshall is called in to investigate. In no time, the results are usually released (in cases that make the news). I just hope that any critical evidence has not been lost. We all want justice served for Jessica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer