Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop, Dec 2014 - #2

If someone comes to Australia from overseas and is involved in the stabbing and burning of their ex-wife, is a political agitator, and clearly has some 'anti-australian' sentiments can't we just ship em back???? Seriously, what does it take? We have sent people back to the UK after being released from jail because they are 'no longer welcome' so WTH is up with this situation where this guy was basically the poster child for the kind of immigration control FAIL that gets the rest of the community so frustrated? Meanwhile nice families with a down syndrome child are refused entry.

Maybe the others suffered minor injuries treated at the scene and not requiring a hospital visit?

Many were being triaged at the scene before being transferred. Some were still in triage 1 1/2 hrs later according to ABCTV

If someone comes to Australia from overseas and is involved in the stabbing and burning of their ex-wife, is a political agitator, and clearly has some 'anti-australian' sentiments can't we just ship em back???? Seriously, what does it take? We have sent people back to the UK after being released from jail because they are 'no longer welcome' so WTH is up with this situation where this guy was basically the poster child for the kind of immigration control FAIL that gets the rest of the community so frustrated? Meanwhile nice families with a down syndrome child are refused entry.

:goodpost:

Hear Hear!!!!

If someone comes to Australia from overseas and is involved in the stabbing and burning of their ex-wife, is a political agitator, and clearly has some 'anti-australian' sentiments can't we just ship em back???? Seriously, what does it take? We have sent people back to the UK after being released from jail because they are 'no longer welcome' so WTH is up with this situation where this guy was basically the poster child for the kind of immigration control FAIL that gets the rest of the community so frustrated?

I think it's technically trickier when, as with this case, the person was granted refugee status/asylum. You can't really send them back to the place they fled, so where do you send them? We've had similar issues in the UK - I expect everywhere has.

Is anyone else confused by the numbers in this presser? What I believe I heard was:

17 hostages total
2 hostages dead
6 uninjured.

That leaves 9 injured, I guess, but that doesn't add up with the press release skibaboo posted, which in itself was confusing as to the number of injured women.

ETA: Maybe in the injured/uninjured he wasn't including the five who escaped earlier. That would leave 12, 2 of them dead, 4 injured, 6 uninjured?

Some must be injured but not seriously, bumps, cuts, etc. Hopefully, that's what it means. Are there 2 in hospital in critical condition? :please: pray hard

I think it's technically trickier when, as with this case, the person was granted refugee status/asylum. You can't really send them back to the place they fled, so where do you send them? We've had similar issues in the UK - I expect everywhere has.

Yeah, you send them back to the place they fled. Alternatively we have detention centres. If someone comes here because they say they have the need for asylum because they were being persecuted and their life was in danger, then they should be happy to be somewhere safe they asked to go to, why bring the kind of threat they were running from into the lives of others? In this case however he should have been locked up on remand awaiting trial, so it's really a failure of the courts.

Jason Om ‏@jason_om 1m1 minute ago
BREAKING Confirmed 3 dead; 4 injured Via @jacksonvernon #sydneysiege

View attachment 65644

https://twitter.com/jason_om

So very sad. People who were either working or popping in for coffee, just doing their normal everyday things. For some lunatic to cause so much tragedy.
Absolutely shocking!
A huge pat on the back to all involved though, police, medics etc.

Bed for me now, I pulled an all nighter watching this. Hopefully by the time I wake we may have an explanation on why bail was granted.

Interesting listening to a reporter sitting, waiting next to a sniper with clear view from the channel7 studio.
They both could see the gunman with iPad moving hostages around and becoming agitated. The reporter said the sniper was not at all talkative, he was concentrating of his job.

This journo said suddenly words "window 2 hostage down" and the sniper was gone. Within seconds all hell broke loose.

BBC: police confirm three fatalities: a man aged 34, a woman aged 38; and a man aged 50 (understood to be the gunman).

(Edited to add Sorry for cross post)

And this is why I HATE FOX NEWS! I'm just now getting an alert on this! ~!@#$%^&*UI(O)!@#$%^&*

Interesting listening to a reporter sitting, waiting next to a sniper with clear view from the channel7 studio.
They both could see the gunman with iPad moving hostages around and becoming agitated. The reporter said the sniper was not at all talkative, he was concentrating of his job.

This journo said suddenly words "window 2 hostage down" and the sniper was gone. Within seconds all hell broke loose.

Well, that'll be why a/ the rest of the hostages fled, b/ the cops busted in, shooting.

Haron had shot a hostage. He'd probably have shot the lot, then himself.

Those criticising the police need a number 9 boot up the jaxie as a reminder of who works hard to keep them safe from freaks like this.

*eyes creak open* Oh man --- just woke caught up --- another hostage died?????

Damn it all. :(

Who still thinks this event was primarily about religious extremism, as opposed to his 47 counts of rape and pending accessory to murder charge, etc (etc being violent psychopathy)?

Really, I'm curious.

I'm deeply saddened, along with so many across the world. I cannot fathom how the hostages, their families and friends and all of the emergency personnel feel!
My thoughts, prayers, love and hugs go out to you all.

Who still thinks this event was primarily about religious extremism, as opposed to his 47 counts of rape and pending accessory to murder charge, etc (etc being violent psychopathy)?

Really, I'm curious.

I dunno what to think... My thoughts were that he wanted his voice heard, that was more important to him than killing people, I think that his own agenda was more important to him than anything! The flag certainly allowed him maximum exposure.

So much to process!

ETA - there's absolutely no doubt that he was an extremist. I think he ticks so many boxes, terrorist, rapist, murderer, psychopath, absolute nut job etc etc...

I woke up early and couldn't even try to go back to sleep until I checked to see what had happened overnight. I'm heartbroken :( This piece of crap shouldn't have been out of jail and I agree that he should've been shipped off long ago.

Keyser Trad on channel 7 right now.

THE gunman holding hostages in Sydney’s Lindt cafe would be running out of gas and becoming psychologically overwhelmed at this point, the FBI’s former lead international kidnapping negotiator says.

Christopher Voss, a 24-year FBI veteran, says the 12-hour mark of a siege is an important mark for a kidnapping situation involving just one gunman.

“Usually in these types of sieges, a person by themselves, at about the 12-hour mark they become psychologically overwhelmed by trying to manage the entirety of this siege.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/syd...ling-overwhelmed/story-fncynjr2-1227157420133

He recently likened himself on his own webpage to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, claiming the most recent charges against him have been laid for "political reasons".

His website also carries a quote, posted earlier this month stating: "I used to be a Rafidi, but not any more. Now I am a Muslim, Alhamdu Lillah".

It has been Monis' on-going legal battle for his conviction for penning the poisonous letters to the families of dead Australian soldiers between 2007 and 2009 that has consumed him.

It is understood Monday's incident followed an unsuccessful, last-ditch attempt in the High Court on Friday to have the charges overturned.

But his problems with the law did not end there. Monis is currently on bail in relation two separate, serious cases.

He was charged in November 2013 with being an accessory before and after the fact to the murder of his ex-wife Noleen Hayson Pal.

Ms Pal was stabbed and set alight in a Werrington apartment block.

Droudis has been charged with the murder.

And then in April this year, Monis was charged by sex crimes squad detectives with the indecent and sexual assault of a woman in western Sydney in 2002.

News of his arrest prompted more victims to come forward and Monis was hit with an additional 40 charges in October.

Monis has posted online that the police charges are part of a witch hunt against him.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/martin-pl...ified-as-man-haron-monis-20141215-127sxt.html

5.35am: The police have now confirmed that two hostages were killed: a man aged 34 and a woman aged 38. Four others are injured including a woman in her 40s with a gunshot wound to the leg and another with a gunshot wound to her shoulder.

A male police officer, 39, had a “gunshot graze” to the cheek and a woman in her 30s was being treated for back pain. Both were listed as stable

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-workers-held-up/story-e6frg6nf-1227156254036

So glad the teenaged boy got out alive...

I'm supposing he shot and killed one hostage, then opened fire on the others as they bolted, and the officer was likely one of the first inside as the hostages fled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back