Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop, Dec 2014 - #2

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-si...n_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_facebook

Sydney siege over: the moment police decided to raid Lindt cafe

Moments before the gunfire rang out, seven hostages were seen fleeing the cafe's premises.

The gunshots triggered an emergency action plan, which police implemented immediately in order to save lives, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said on Tuesday morning.

"[A]s a result of an exchange of gunfire inside those premises, police moved in," he said.

Nine News Australia ‏@9NewsAUS 1m1 minute ago

38-year-old woman who died in #SydneySiege identified as Katrina Dawson, a mother of two. #9News

RIP Katrina. Thought to your 2 children & family & friends xx

#‎BREAKING‬ The 38-year-old woman who died from a heart attack in the Sydney siege have been revealed as mother-of-two Katrina Dawson, while the 34-year-old male victim died a hero, trying to knock the gun from the hostage-taker's hands ‪#‎sydneysiege‬ ‪#‎tragic‬

MOTHER-of-two Katrina Dawson, 38-year-old daughter of well-known Sydney lawyer Sandy Dawson

https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastbulletin/posts/10152553168237358

Reports are emerging that the male victim in the Sydney siege died a hero after trying to knock the gun out of the hostage taker's hand.

The man is yet to be named. All we know is that he's 34-years old.

Meanwhile, the 38-year-old woman killed in the siege has been named as mother of two Katrina Dawson.

AAP has confirmed Ms Dawson, who worked in the city, died when heavily-armed police stormed the Lindt cafe in Martin Place early on Tuesday, ending a 16-hour stand-off.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...news-december-16/story-fnqcjzme-1227138586480

9-11 was the single scariest thing I've ever seen.. I woke up that night, *ping* wide awake. Put the telly on, just in time to see the 2nd tower get hit. I thought it was a movie for a few minutes. I remember feeling nauseous when it dawned this was real. My household sat in front of the tv for two solid days, just in shock and horror. I'm not sure we even showered, heh.

This was a close second.

I hate -- *really hate* -- that one person, a handful of people, can do this to a nation let alone to the individuals directly affected.

My heart goes out to our Australian friends who have been such staunch allies to the U.S. I hadn't even watched CNN for the last ten days until this morning.

I woke up around 6:00 am my time, and for some reason had this nagging feeling I should watch and was horrified to see that news report.

On the morning of 9/11 here in the U.S. I didn't even have a working TV. I was awakened by my IM program sending that bleeping noise that someone was IM'img me. I had to hear from a Canadian friend via IM. She was messaging me: I KNOW your TV doesn't work but get your *** out of bed. Your World Trade Centers are GONE.

I remember squinting at her IM and replying "Don't make bad jokes. I haven't had my coffee yet."

It is truly terrifying that some nut jobs cause so much misery and destruction.

Again, my heart and my prayers go out to our Australian friends and close allies. I'm so very sorry you all had to experience this. It's beyond despicable.

Perhaps most ironic of all is the fact that the "Iranian regime" he was used to demonize apparently did not kill his wife - instead, he himself is suspected of doing so.

I think that may be a different wife. Noleen sounds as if she was Australian, was only 31 when she died, and they had two sons; the wife in Iran must have been older and they apparently had daughters together.

Mother of 3 - wife of a Ch 7 Employee - Nat is in tears on Ch7

ETA - Now saying sister

Amee's link above also has a note that two of the hostages are pregnant. I hope the babies will be OK.

The mother of three and rising star at the commercial bar was one of two hostages who was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital after an exchange of gunfire just after 2am on Tuesday.

Ms Dawson, a highly respected barrister from Eighth Floor Selborne chambers in Phillip Street, was the younger sister of prominent defamation barrister Sandy Dawson and McKinsey & Company director Angus Dawson.
Advertisement

She was married to Paul Smith, a partner at top tier law firm King & Wood Mallesons.

She has three children aged under ten - two girls and a boy - the eldest of whom are at Ascham and Cranbrook in Sydney. The youngest, a girl, is four years old.

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/sydney...n-killed-in-martin-place-20141215-127ww8.html

:cry:

Good morning ... just getting up to a re-run of the news conference. Two hostages deceased - Tory Johnson and Katrina Dawson, brilliant barrister and mother of 3 :( . One gunman shot and killed :yes:. One policeman injured ... hope he is going to be okay. Going to read back now ....

http://www.news.com.au/national/mar...-man-haron-monis/story-fncynjr2-1227157498633

B468nykCYAExBM0.jpg

Saddest picture .. thanks to whoever got there at the break of dawn and placed the first flowers. All flags at half-mast today. Bless the victims, both alive and deceased. Their lives were changed forever.

Rest gently, Katrina and Tory ! My utmost condolences to your loved ones and praying they can begin to heal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back