Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. I'm not sure. I assume they wouldn't have any trouble getting Lloyd Jr.'s DNA as he is already locked up for sex crimes. RWSr is a different story. They could ask for his DNA but right now he's just a POI,I think the grand jury could determine if he has to give DNA? I'm not sure though. Anyone in the know,please jump in. I don't think this was a one time thing though and that is JMO. LE has said that they will find out the truth about this crime and many others. That made me wonder what else LE thinks these two have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is JMO, but putting together the statement made that it seemed like every stone they turned over at Taylor Mountain, they got a new lead and the statement about there perhaps being MANY other crimes, I wonder if they HAVE FOUND MANY BONES of OTHER victims, however NOT the Lyon sisters.

It is JMO, but putting together the statement made that it seemed like every stone they turned over at Taylor Mountain, they got a new lead and the statement about there perhaps being MANY other crimes, I wonder if they HAVE FOUND MANY BONES of OTHER victims, however NOT the Lyon sisters.

I can't wait to find out!!

Not sure how to read this new development. Perhaps there will be an explanation after her arraignment or preliminary court hearings.

If she knows something, she needs to clear her conscience.

I agree with Motherof5. Just my opinion, but I think the Welch family knows exactly what happened to Sheila and Kate Lyon back in 1975.

Grand Jury Procedures - some comments

It should be mentioned that in a Grand Jury hearing, it is only the prosecutors who present evidence. Nothing has to be presented which would tend to show that a person is innocent, or that there might be mitigating circumstances, or other possible perpetrators or scenarios. It is a one sided show.

There is no presentation from any defense attorneys. Persons identified as potential suspects have no right to address the Grand Jury or to present any evidence. They could be brought before a Grand Jury by the prosecutor, but would only be allowed to answer questions presented to them. Alternatively, they could invoke the fifth amendment of the US Constitution and refuse to answer a question on the grounds that it could incriminate them. Depending on the circumstances, a person subpoened as a witness to testify before a grand jury would be placed under oath, but might not be advised of their Miranda Rights until after they testify and prosecutors decide to charge them with something.

In this case, prosecutors have chosen to keep all procedings of the Grand Jury secret. No evidence or information has yet been made public regarding the Welch family and their alleged connection to the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters. This declared secrecy has not, however, seemed to keep Montgomery County Police officials from making derogatory statements about the Welch Family as seen in a recent Washington Post Article:

Quote “It’s frustrating the lengths to which this family goes to keep us from the truth,” Capt. Darren Francke, commander of the Montgomery County Police Department’s major crimes unit, said Saturday. Unquote.

They (MCP and prosecutors) have essentially branded that family as liars and obstructors of justice without stating any facts or presenting any evidence as to what they were allegedly lying about or covering up. MCP has named two Persons of Interest: Lloyd Welch in February and Richard Welch in October of this year, but they have not to date presented a single bit of evidence to the public as to the reasons for declarations.

While Patricia Welch could be subpoenaed as a witness before this Grand Jury, she could not be compelled to testify against her husband, Richard Welch, should he be charged and brought to trial for any crime. By charging her with perjury, prosecutors have pretty much written her off as a witness in any future trials.

It will certainly be interesting to see what recommendations will come out of this Grand Jury regarding charges and evidence.

It should be mentioned that in a Grand Jury hearing, it is only the prosecutors who present evidence. Nothing has to be presented which would tend to show that a person is innocent, or that there might be mitigating circumstances, or other possible perpetrators or scenarios. It is a one sided show.

There is no presentation from any defense attorneys. Persons identified as potential suspects have no right to address the Grand Jury or to present any evidence. They could be brought before a Grand Jury by the prosecutor, but would only be allowed to answer questions presented to them. Alternatively, they could invoke the fifth amendment of the US Constitution and refuse to answer a question on the grounds that it could incriminate them. Depending on the circumstances, a person subpoened as a witness to testify before a grand jury would be placed under oath, but might not be advised of their Miranda Rights until after they testify and prosecutors decide to charge them with something.

In this case, prosecutors have chosen to keep all procedings of the Grand Jury secret. No evidence or information has yet been made public regarding the Welch family and their alleged connection to the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters. This declared secrecy has not, however, seemed to keep Montgomery County Police officials from making derogatory statements about the Welch Family as seen in a recent Washington Post Article:

Quote “It’s frustrating the lengths to which this family goes to keep us from the truth,” Capt. Darren Francke, commander of the Montgomery County Police Department’s major crimes unit, said Saturday. Unquote.

They (MCP and prosecutors) have essentially branded that family as liars and obstructors of justice without stating any facts or presenting any evidence as to what they were allegedly lying about or covering up. MCP has named two Persons of Interest: Lloyd Welch in February and Richard Welch in October of this year, but they have not to date presented a single bit of evidence to the public as to the reasons for declarations.

While Patricia Welch could be subpoenaed as a witness before this Grand Jury, she could not be compelled to testify against her husband, Richard Welch, should he be charged and brought to trial for any crime. By charging her with perjury, prosecutors have pretty much written her off as a witness in any future trials.

It will certainly be interesting to see what recommendations will come out of this Grand Jury regarding charges and evidence.

Thanks Richard for this post I am grateful for your perspective on the recent developments. As you say it will be interesting to see if there are any developments in the months ahead.

P.s I apologise for not replying to your pm earlier this year I have had two surgeries and it took me a long time to recover. I never got round to replying due to being ill but thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

She's made it clear that telling the truth is not what she's about. Not even when 2 little girls were murdered. How sad.

There is always two sides to every story. We shouldn't judge until we have all the facts.

There is always two sides to every story. We shouldn't judge until we have all the facts.

She lied to the Grand Jury and that is a fact.

true but I am just lost about how Montgomery County said they have nothing to do with her being tried for perjury in the case. but I thought Maryland and Virginia we're working together? this case to me just seems a little out there you have two persons of interest but no evidence released and there are still free and then you charge a person of interest his wife for perjury. just a little confusing. it just seems to be a lack of evidence and hearsay.

true but I am just lost about how Montgomery County said they have nothing to do with her being tried for perjury in the case. but I thought Maryland and Virginia we're working together? this case to me just seems a little out there you have two persons of interest but no evidence released and there are still free and then you charge a person of interest his wife for perjury. just a little confusing. it just seems to be a lack of evidence and hearsay.

No. LE is not going to release evidence to the public right now. It doesn't work that way. However, never confuse the fact that we,the public, haven't seen the evidence yet and this means that there is none. Nothing could be further from the truth. The two LE's are working together but this crime took place in at least 2 states. Abduction from MD and taken to VA. She lied to the Grand Jury. That is huge!! It doesn't matter which state the charges come from. You don't lie to ANY Grand Jury. She is definitely helping to build the case against her husband.

No. LE is not going to release evidence to the public right now. It doesn't work that way. However, never confuse the fact that we,the public, haven't seen the evidence yet and this means that there is none. Nothing could be further from the truth. The two LE's are working together but this crime took place in at least 2 states. Abduction from MD and taken to VA. She lied to the Grand Jury. That is huge!! It doesn't matter which state the charges come from. You don't lie to ANY Grand Jury. She is definitely helping to build the case against her husband.

How do you KNOW the crime took place in 2 states and they were brought here? Do you have proof of that?

Hello, any one have any updates on the case? I try searching google but not sure what terms to search on. I usually just type in the person's of interest names but looks like everything is older from oct/nov. The latest news Im coming up with is that Patricia lied to the grand jury. Anyone else coming up with any other news?
I wish i could find the one article i read about her lying to the grand jury, it said something about her lying about a warrant or something. I might be wrong though, that wouldn't be the first time. But that made me start thinking, if they ask other questions that don't really pertain to the actual case, she may have lied about something else that had nothing to do with the case. I know you shouldn't lie if you're under oath i guess, but it may have had nothing to do with the case, it could have been something personal. Do you think they would ask other stuff that didn't have anything to do with the case?

There's not alot going on here in Bedford County as far as new updates. The grand jury convenes again on January 5th I think. We haven't heard the helicoptors flying over the mountain, haven't heard or seen anyone searching on the mountain so things are quiet as of now.

Thanks! Guess we will hear more after jan 5. I thought it was kinda funny no one posted here in days, then me and you posted at practically the same time lol

Hello, any one have any updates on the case? ...

... I wish i could find the one article i read about her lying to the grand jury, it said something about her lying about a warrant or something. I might be wrong though, that wouldn't be the first time. But that made me start thinking, if they ask other questions that don't really pertain to the actual case, she may have lied about something else that had nothing to do with the case. I know you shouldn't lie if you're under oath i guess, but it may have had nothing to do with the case, it could have been something personal. Do you think they would ask other stuff that didn't have anything to do with the case?

I do not have any specific information about the grand jury, its proceedings, or any alleged lies told to it. However, you bring up a good point to consider regarding questions asked or information presented to a grand jury.

This is strictly a presentation by prosecutors. Since no one is actually charged or on trial during these proceedings, there are no Defense Attornies present to object to evidence or questions. Just about anything is fair game and it is left up to the grand jury to decide what pertains to the case - or not.

A question like "Are you now, or have you ever been a (fill in the blank)" might be asked of a witness. If a witness simply says "no", because he/she thinks it is a personal question which is not pertinent, or none of anyone's business - and if prosecutors possess evidence to the contrary - then they can charge the witness with lying to a grand jury.

A defense lawyer might object to any question asked. Or could advise their client to plead the 5th ammendment, or say simply "I don't remember." But, again, no defense lawyers get a say in this show.

It is possible that Patricia Welch was asked some very specific and pertenant questions and that she lied to cover something up, or protect herself or someone else, but it is also possible that this charge of lying is a ploy on the part of LE or prosecutors.

If Richard and Lloyd Welch are persons of interest, why haven't they been invited to participate in these proceedings as witnesses?

Are we certain that Richard "Dick"Welch or nephew, Lloyd Welch (aka Michael Welch) have not been questioned yet by the Grand Jury? Is there a way to find out the names of people that have been brought before the grand jury at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23