GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #3

Ilona, Gianni, and Salvatore were three bright lights of Life last year until someone decided to shoot them in a mall parking lot during the holiday season. It must be very hard for their families and friends to get through this particular holiday season. My prayers go out to them.

The man said to have done these horrible crimes needs to eventually provide some answers and face the legal system. There is no possible way he doesn't remember, IMO. He needs to confess and feel the remorse if he ever wants to come out of his comatose guilt state of mental incompetence. Does our legal system make it too easy for him to stay incompetent and avoid a trial? Did he get transferred to Patton State Hospital yet?

Ilona, Gianni, and Salvatore are not forgotten.

RE: Gianni found with his pants pulled down.

I came across another case where a drug dealer had been robbed and killed. He was found lying on the floor of his house with his pants also pulled down to his ankles. The police commented that it was fairly common for the victim of a drug murder to be found this way because the dealers commonly hide both money and drugs down their pants. The killers will commonly pull the victims pants down to check.

Great questions asked, Olivia522!
You said, "I also think it's bizarre that we haven't heard anyone really come to this guy's defense. There are usually some people-friends family coworkers neighbors-..."

I totally agree, it is bizarre.

Mercado remains a mystery with nobody local saying anything about him. Why is that? I heard that one of his co-workers from Target confirmed he did work there, but I didn't hear anything said about him. Surprisingly, no one came forward saying he had long-term mental problems either. Was this drug or gang related? Did someone hire him to do a hit on these three young people? Makes me think if he had friends, or acquaintances, then they don't want to be connected to him. Was someone else involved? As Olivia522 asked, "Was CM ever at the belvedere restaurant?"

A whole year has gone by. How has all this info been suppressed and kept out of the news? Yet, as far as I'm concerned, too much info was shared about the victims that didn't show a clear connection to why they were murdered. I want to know more about Mercado and why, why, why.

Ilona, Gianni, and Salvatore were three bright lights of Life last year until someone decided to shoot them in a mall parking lot during the holiday season. It must be very hard for their families and friends to get through this particular holiday season. My prayers go out to them.

The man said to have done these horrible crimes needs to eventually provide some answers and face the legal system. There is no possible way he doesn't remember, IMO. He needs to confess and feel the remorse if he ever wants to come out of his comatose guilt state of mental incompetence. Does our legal system make it too easy for him to stay incompetent and avoid a trial? Did he get transferred to Patton State Hospital yet?

Ilona, Gianni, and Salvatore are not forgotten.

BBM

Curious he still remains in San Diego Central jail. This alone really burns my bum! From the articles you posted up thread it sounds as if treatment of mental illness in our jail systems is minimal. I doubt that anything he may be prescribed is a solution to him gaining his competency. MOO

I've been thinking about the kids a lot in the last week and almost dreading Christmas Eve. It breaks my heart all over again for them and the families.

I would think that news media may pick the story up again in the next 48 hours to mark the anniversary. At least I hope they do. It would also be a good opportunity for the media to put pressure on getting answers about his transfer or lack of to Patton.

:christmastree: Happy Holidays everyone!!!

I came across another case where a drug dealer had been robbed and killed. He was found lying on the floor of his house with his pants also pulled down to his ankles. The police commented that it was fairly common for the victim of a drug murder to be found this way because the dealers commonly hide both money and drugs down their pants. The killers will commonly pull the victims pants down to check.

Thanks for posting this SDNV. I have never heard of this connection with drug dealers.

The RIP in the phone is bugging me, too (along with a gazillion other things about this case).
I am hoping the IT folks can determine when CM added that item to his calendar.
A week before? Six months?
I think that could really help shed some light on how premeditated this was, and help hone in on a more specific time period in CM's history to go back & try to piece together.

(Tech guys at work can easily run an activity log for your computer, sometimes down to the keystroke. Not sure how it works for cell phones.)

I also think it's bizarre that we haven't heard anyone really come to this guy's defense. There are usually some people-friends family coworkers neighbors- speaking out saying "he was a nice guy, he wouldn't do this type of thing", etc.I heard a line or 2 way back around arrest time but not much. Am going to do some more digging!
IMHO, that would point to lone wolf wannabe with a random grudge, gang related (fear of retaliation=silence), he's keeping silent to protect someone else, or hired hit. Really clears things up, huh?

Was CM ever at the belvedere restaurant? Have any of the belvedere's connections admitted to knowing him?Last I read, the police weren't admitting a link.
From fox5sandiego
"In response to a question about whether the suspect and victims knew each other or had any other prior connections, homicide Lt. Mike Hastings said, “I’m not sure there was any relation.”"

That was june 2014.hope they know more now and are just keeping quiet

BBM Agree you have lots of valid questions and unfortunately we don't have answers.

I will try to explain the community that CM lived and worked in for those that are not local and it may help to shed a little light on why we haven't heard anything from his friends or family. Mira Mesa is a tightly knit community of Asian/Filipino families. They are very hard working, keep to themselves and tend to only do business with others in their community. They fiercely protect each other and don't tend to stray out of their environment. Mira Mesa actually has a nickname for locals here...they call it Mira Nam. There is also a large presence of gang members in the area. No offence intended in the above but just trying to paint the picture as to why it may seem so quiet from the Mercado side.

Regarding CM having connections to any of the family. I can only tell you that the surviving family was not aware of him at all. But then the family did not know about a lot of information, drugs, etc. until the investigation. So that connection can't be verified at this point.

Sorry for the rambling and of course it's all MOO.

Thank You for all your info, SDNV. I do know Mira Mesa has some gangs, and wonder if CM was in one.

I just ran a search "drug killings pants pulled down" and lots of the results are gang-related. Wow, I didn't know this!

It's very upsetting to hear Mercado may still be languishing in the jail, SDHELPS. I think maybe this story goes beyond Mercado having some psychosis and committing the crimes. Some other person helped him, IMO.

There needs to be a system in place to press him to get competent to stand trial, and to get him to talk, but... MOO, he has been scared from the minute he got arrested maybe because he fears getting offed in jail to keep him quiet. That makes me think maybe he's being somewhat protected until other connections are figured out.

Salvatore was able to donate his heart. I think about that a lot. Giving life is so much better than taking life.

Feeling very sad that one year ago tonight these 3 young people were ruthlessly and violently killed. And for what reason? Not that there EVER is any reason to kill someone - but still one year later and no answers as to why this happened. I remember this night clearly because I was at the mall shopping that evening (hours before the murders). I remember waking up for work early the next morning to the breaking news about this case and still can't totally wrap my brain around it - around that kind of evil. I feel for the families who have to relive this horrible nightmare during Christmastime. They still don't have any answers and I imagine they will never have any real peace. So senseless. Prayers to the Flint and Belvedere families.

I was there too...at Target a few hours prior. :-(
Feeling very sad that one year ago tonight these 3 young people were ruthlessly and violently killed. And for what reason? Not that there EVER is any reason to kill someone - but still one year later and no answers as to why this happened. I remember this night clearly because I was at the mall shopping that evening (hours before the murders). I remember waking up for work early the next morning to the breaking news about this case and still can't totally wrap my brain around it - around that kind of evil. I feel for the families who have to relive this horrible nightmare during Christmastime. They still don't have any answers and I imagine they will never have any real peace. So senseless. Prayers to the Flint and Belvedere families.

This case still haunts me. The circumstances are chilling, which are compounded by the time of year it happened.

I got disgusted when justice came to a grinding halt when CM was deemed incompetent. The post upthread about him being protected is intriguing to me. Perhaps LE has an idea who put him up to this. Probably are very ruthless individuals.

If Gianni sold some of the product he bought, he may have been encroaching on another dealers territory or customers. That's a big no-no and maybe the gangs were sending a message to others who may try that; just a thought.

IMO, CM knew ahead of time when the three were going to be murdered based on the calendar notation of RIP and i dont think this was random violence. Is he hiding behind the incompetency because he does not want to implicate who contracted him to begin with? To do so would be suicide and maybe knowing that made him snap. MOO

Barbarella and MrsOBrien - my heart goes out to you both. How unsettling that must be for you especially this time of year.

Barbarella and MrsOBrien - my heart goes out to you both. How unsettling that must be for you especially this time of year.

Not nearly as unsettling as it must be for their families. My discomfort pales in comparison. :-(

Hello to everyone. I've been following the case for a year now and I'm appalled that justice has not been served. These kids were young and had a future. This breaks my heart.

Does anyone know how frequently inmates are evaluated for competency?

Does anyone know how frequently inmates are evaluated for competency?

As I recall reading (can't find the link at this moment) competency is checked every 6 months once in Patton. I do not believe anything organized and professional is done while he is in Central Jail other than basic meds. And yes he is still in SD Central :/

Also a big welcome to castle!!! :wagon:

I just checked, and you're right. He's listed as being still in the SD Central Jail. Unbelievable! I don't know if they would show a transfer to Patton Hospital on the Sheriff's site.

Wish we could find out more, and how frequently inmates are evaluated for competency. Hope the families of the victims are demanding answers on a constant basis.

Mercado needs to get transferred to Patton, get competent, and this needs to go to trial!

I just checked, and you're right. He's listed as being still in the SD Central Jail. Unbelievable! I don't know if they would show a transfer to Patton Hospital on the Sheriff's site. Wish we could find out more, and how frequently inmates are evaluated for competency. Hope the families of the victims are demanding answers on a constant basis.

Mercado needs to get transferred to Patton, get competent, and this needs to go to trial!

I would think that since he is technically still in custody that he would show on the jail roster but with a different location code. I wish I could think of someone else that was arrested here and sent to Patton to see how they come up.

And totally agree Curious...he needs to get treatment so we can get a trial date!!!!

I just thought of something. BITW had a contact in the central jail when CM was first arrested who told her about the Tylenol incident before we heard about it. I wonder if she can find out if he's still there??? I'll contact her ;)

There's also the California State VINE available if you sign up and get approved for obtaining info.

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/siteInfoAction.do?siteId=5000

"The California State Victim Notification service (VINE) helps victims of crime obtain information about the custody of their offender and is provided by the local sheriff in the counties listed above and the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). VINE is a free service that is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back