Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fear of flying started because of turbulence. It was moderate not even severe. I was terrorized then, I can only imagine the feeling during severe turbulence.

I wonder how close the island with the fire is to Nangka island because a fisherman on Nangka island reported hearing a crash.

awq8501-2332z.jpg

Isn't that Belitung Island just west of the spot where the plane went off radar?

weather continued!

about 8 minutes after the aircraft disappearance. The image shows conclusively that the aircraft had been flying through deep convective shower and thunderstorm activity prior to the disappearance time. The last ADS-B signal was located about 8 nm northwest of a "cold spot" which is consistent with the signature of mature shower or thunderstorm updraft cores. As this was not a particularly strong cold spot in the storm cluster, it may not have appeared hazardous enough on airborne radar to warrant a deviation.

Cloud radiance at the aircraft's last location was 201K, which corresponds to a cloud top altitude of 47,000 ft. Coldest cloud tops within 20 nm were 191K (52,000 ft), with the stratified anvil mass for this cluster later measuring 189K (about 53,000 ft). ,,, and suggests deep, weak instability.
However the strong bulk shear (70 kt) between the lower and upper tropopause was significant and was conducive to long-lived cells, and probably explained the sustained overnight activity in the presence of numerous outflow boundaries across the Java Sea.

Due to the extremely high tropopause (56,000 ft), cloud tops almost certainly extended to above 50,000 ft. The critical icing layer extends from 17,000 to 23,000 ft, with the -20C layer at 27,000 ft. Flight level temperature was -29C. However as evidenced by Air France 447 incident (temperature at flight level -33C), clear icing can occur in much colder temperature regimes given high levels of water loading in the cloud, and the Air France incident raises questions of whether tropical convection is particularly efficient at bringing supercooled water to higher levels.

Conclusion: Based on the available data and a close correlation of thunderstorm activity at the last received location, it appears that weather was a factor, or was a compounding factor. The most likely hazard, if weather was a factor, appears to be icing.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/awq8501/

So is there anyway smoke would be visible 2 days later ? I'm not following I guess. The plane just crashed and blew up ? OR the plane has been crashed and burning smoldering since it went missing? The giant thunderstorms did not put out the fire? No one saw the smoke until just now? Please direct me to the logic here because I don't understand. TIA

In 2001, former music executive Tony Fernandes bought the heavily-indebted firm for a token sum of 25 cents. Keeping the brand name, he created Asia's first low-cost airline, taking on local established rivals such as Malaysia Airlines and Australia's Qantas.
With the slogan "Now Everyone Can Fly", AirAsia now covers approximately 100 destinations across more than 15 countries, although many of these flights are serviced by associates and subsidiaries that use the company's brand name.......

It is one of these associates, Indonesia AirAsia, which was operating flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore when it lost contact with air traffic control on Sunday morning.
It flies Airbus A320 aircraft along more than 30 routes, to destinations in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Australia..........

The boss of AirAsia Group, Tony Fernandes, is also chairman of Queens Park Rangers football club in the UK

. It offers no business or first class seats, and the average fare is roughly 170 Malaysian ringgit (£30; $48).

In the three months to the end of September, the AirAsia group made a pre-tax profit of 26.5m Malaysian ringgit (£4.8m; $7.6m), and carried almost 5.3 million passengers. .....

However, the number of passengers carried by Indonesia AirAsia was down by 10% in the same period, dropping to 1.85 million after the airline cut some of its routes.
In 2013, it carried almost 8 million passengers in total.....

- the Airbus single-aisle A320. The A320 seats between 150 and 180 passengers,

_75306515_line976.jpg

AirAsia's brand image is closely tied with its chief executive, Malaysian entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, who took over operations in 2001. Almost always in jeans and an AirAsia cap when interviewed, Mr Fernandes was seen as Malaysia's answer to Richard Branson.

He's listed as one of the richest men in Malaysia and has always been adept at spinning his marketing message out to the media. With this plane's disappearance, he's wasted no time in tweeting out messages of support to the family and has already arrived in Surabaya along with members of the Indonesian affiliate of AirAsia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30615449

_75306515_line976.jpg
I

Going from bad to worse Qwest is in studio, I am looking for a rope!

So is there anyway smoke would be visible 2 days later ? I'm not following I guess. The plane just crashed and blew up ? OR the plane has been crashed and burning smoldering since it went missing? The giant thunderstorms did not put out the fire? No one saw the smoke until just now? Please direct me to the logic here because I don't understand. TIA
I don't know what to think. Would rain put out a fire of jet oil and fuel? I thought foam was used. I wonder what type of island this is. Does anyone live on it?

weather continued!

about 8 minutes after the aircraft disappearance. The image shows conclusively that the aircraft had been flying through deep convective shower and thunderstorm activity prior to the disappearance time. The last ADS-B signal was located about 8 nm northwest of a "cold spot" which is consistent with the signature of mature shower or thunderstorm updraft cores. As this was not a particularly strong cold spot in the storm cluster, it may not have appeared hazardous enough on airborne radar to warrant a deviation.

Cloud radiance at the aircraft's last location was 201K, which corresponds to a cloud top altitude of 47,000 ft. Coldest cloud tops within 20 nm were 191K (52,000 ft), with the stratified anvil mass for this cluster later measuring 189K (about 53,000 ft). ,,, and suggests deep, weak instability.
However the strong bulk shear (70 kt) between the lower and upper tropopause was significant and was conducive to long-lived cells, and probably explained the sustained overnight activity in the presence of numerous outflow boundaries across the Java Sea.

Due to the extremely high tropopause (56,000 ft), cloud tops almost certainly extended to above 50,000 ft. The critical icing layer extends from 17,000 to 23,000 ft, with the -20C layer at 27,000 ft. Flight level temperature was -29C. However as evidenced by Air France 447 incident (temperature at flight level -33C), clear icing can occur in much colder temperature regimes given high levels of water loading in the cloud, and the Air France incident raises questions of whether tropical convection is particularly efficient at bringing supercooled water to higher levels.

Conclusion: Based on the available data and a close correlation of thunderstorm activity at the last received location, it appears that weather was a factor, or was a compounding factor. The most likely hazard, if weather was a factor, appears to be icing.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/awq8501/

I had not thought much about maybe ICING from the storm could have brought the plane down. That is definitely possible. If anyone has ever tried to scrape ice off their windshield, you know how tough ice can be. I know planes have de-icing capability during the flight but if it builds up faster than the de-icing capability, that would be a dangerous issue for sure.

I have read of burning buildings smoldering for days and days so it does not surprise me that if this is the plane that it could be smoldering and smoke this long. That part is not unusual. I am a little surprised nobody saw the smoke yesterday though. It seems it would be visible pretty easily so why didnt they spot it yesterday.

Very remote possibility someone survived crash, either on land or at sea followed by swim to shore and started a fire?

My fear of flying started because of turbulence. It was moderate not even severe. I was terrorized then, I can only imagine the feeling during severe turbulence.

Turbulence only scares me when i'm not in my seat. I smashed my head on the ceiling flying from KL - Brisbane, and had a cigarette in my hand as it was 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong