VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that confirms that he's right-handed. Not that I think that matters. But there was lots of chatter about him smoking with his left hand in the other pic.

People would use a lighter with their dominant hand so him holding a cig in his left hand does not mean he's left handed... More likely the contrary. Plus smokers hold cigs in either hand but most likely keep their dominant hand free.

Okay, I ran the *name* through the South Carolina Census from 1970 to present. I ran the name through a historical database using the dates from 1965 to 1996 and surrounding states, there were few Jason's with the particular last name (or variations of). Most had updated residencies post-1995, so no hits there. There are hundreds of Jason ******s all over the U.S. and Canada, with few matching the possible birth years of our Jason. Some of them don't have updated info post-1995, so it would be difficult to discern if any of them are our GD. (This could be due to their own passing, moving out of country, changing their name, staying with friends, etc...It uses voter/DL registration, prop tax, home purchase, etc to gather info for updating).

Now for the Coram/Couram. There are no hits anywhere for the spelling Couram, at least not stateside. For Coram, there are several Jasons, however they all have updated residencies post-1995.

It's possible that there is a variation or combination of the names that would be correct or that he could be one of the undated Jasons, however there isn't enough information listed to determine one is for sure. Without a definitive surname or paternal/maternal relation and sans positive birthplace, it could be a needle-in-a-haystack situation. Since he seemed to be transient, his place of origin could be anywhere.

None of the Jasons from either of the surnames was born in South Carolina, at least none with full information. I searched several engines, but each is not all inclusive.

I also ran the new photos through facial recognition software and didn't get a legitimate hit or match, although all dated him between 15-17.

I wish I could be of more help. Birth records can be a mountainous objective when you are lacking vital information.

Asphikenna - just a quick note to say that your skills and software are intensely cool

Asphikenna - just a quick note to say that your skills and software are intensely cool

I've been disgustingly obsessed with my family history the last couple years... It's lead to several impulse buys of software I may or may not have needed, lol

Back in post #433 there was reference to New Jersey. Would you have time to try the NJ census? You're doing great!

Link to post:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11369525
Okay, I ran the *name* through the South Carolina Census from 1970 to present. I ran the name through a historical database using the dates from 1965 to 1996 and surrounding states, there were few Jason's with the particular last name (or variations of). Most had updated residencies post-1995, so no hits there. There are hundreds of Jason ******s all over the U.S. and Canada, with few matching the possible birth years of our Jason. Some of them don't have updated info post-1995, so it would be difficult to discern if any of them are our GD. (This could be due to their own passing, moving out of country, changing their name, staying with friends, etc...It uses voter/DL registration, prop tax, home purchase, etc to gather info for updating).

Now for the Coram/Couram. There are no hits anywhere for the spelling Couram, at least not stateside. For Coram, there are several Jasons, however they all have updated residencies post-1995.

It's possible that there is a variation or combination of the names that would be correct or that he could be one of the undated Jasons, however there isn't enough information listed to determine one is for sure. Without a definitive surname or paternal/maternal relation and sans positive birthplace, it could be a needle-in-a-haystack situation. Since he seemed to be transient, his place of origin could be anywhere.

None of the Jasons from either of the surnames was born in South Carolina, at least none with full information. I searched several engines, but each is not all inclusive.

I also ran the new photos through facial recognition software and didn't get a legitimate hit or match, although all dated him between 15-17.

I wish I could be of more help. Birth records can be a mountainous objective when you are lacking vital information.

O9nwRTl.jpg

The top month in the calendar could be June 1994. It looks as though the first day of the month is a Wednesday and the last day is Thursday.

UPDATE: Just heard from Channel 15 in Myrtle Beach. They're working on a story tomorrow! i don't know if that means they're working on it tomorrow or if they're airing it tomorrow, but they messaged me over facebook that it sounds like great info that they'd be happy to do a story on.

Back in post #433 there was reference to New Jersey. Would you have time to try the NJ census? You're doing great!

Link to post:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11369525

When I did the searches I ran SC and then ran surrounding states, then the U.S., I didn't get any hits for a Jason with any of the three given names, or variations thereof, that had complete information (some were missing birth dates, birth places, etc) or their residencies had been updated within the last 15 years. There are, of course, persons with the surnames given and variations. Without additional information (mention of a birth month? mention of mother's name? etc), it would be difficult to pick one from a line up. There are plenty of each (mins Couram) that could be a possible match, from Utah to Maryland, but info is missing that would help better pinpoint a possibility.

I'm a little concerned we are getting ahead of ourselves with the Last name. The ONLY connection we have to "C" is that single craigslist posting from the supposed aunt, correct?

That aunt could be anyone from his actual loving aunt who has spent years searching to a bored middle schooler. We really have no idea just yet.

I know many posters here replied to the craigslist ad. I'd hope if the aunt replied someone would relay that info.

We have had so much info over the past two days, I don't want us to get too side tracked or spend our time going down a wormhole of similar last names.

All MOO! I'm honestly just so happy each time there is a new reply here. I

UPDATE: Just heard from Channel 15 in Myrtle Beach. They're working on a story tomorrow! i don't know if that means they're working on it tomorrow or if they're airing it tomorrow, but they messaged me over facebook that it sounds like great info that they'd be happy to do a story on.

Thank-God. And you!

Assuming these photos are the old print style, is there a date printed on the back/front of them? Most of the old film roll prints would typically have a date printed somewhere (or at least mine do).

Ahhhh!!!!! Yay!!! This is fantastic! Great job. Thank you so much!!

Assuming these photos are the old print style, is there a date printed on the back/front of them? Most of the old film roll prints would typically have a date printed somewhere (or at least mine do).

Good call. The average consumer did not have a digital camera in 1994. (I'm sure someone will have an exception to this, but *on average* people were not taking keg party shots with them in 1994. Source: I was attending keg parties while surrounded by computer nerds in 1994. I got my first real digital camera circa 1998.)

Craigslist. OT, but we had a huge storm that brought down a few pine trees. Now, this is in Washington state, so they weren't small trees. So my dad goes to all the trouble to chop these 5 trees down to firewood size & posts it on Craigslist for free, the person would just have to come get it themselves. The ONLY message he got about it said "Pine pops too much." My Dad had such high hopes. XD

So yeah. Craigslist is a special place sometimes.

The pix were all taken around late Summer-early Fall 1994, give or take 3 months.

Good call. The average consumer did not have a digital camera in 1994. (I'm sure someone will have an exception to this, but *on average* people were not taking keg party shots with them in 1994. Source: I was attending keg parties while surrounded by computer nerds in 1994. I got my first real digital camera circa 1998.)
This is a good point. I was at university in Canada in 1994/5. ICQ was the big mode of digitial social media. If you had a computer, that's what you were communicating on. It was basically a chat software. No digital cameras and those pics posted are hard copies for sure, but, I think the dates are known by whomever is releasing the pics anyway.

I'm a little concerned we are getting ahead of ourselves with the Last name. The ONLY connection we have to "C" is that single craigslist posting from the supposed aunt, correct? That aunt could be anyone from his actual loving aunt who has spent years searching to a bored middle schooler. We really have no idea just yet.

My thoughts exactly.

DrDMike , the original Craigslist poster, posted this in another thread this evening:

Hey guys. I'll check in later with details but Jason is not our GD. Don't know where that name came from. What I meant about my list was that Jason's aunt is through marriage. So the aunt is Jason's moms DIL.

I have to apologize to everyone.

I took a link from the Grateful Doe FB > to Craigs List "C" post and assumed it was one and the same as Dr. D's " Aunt".

As if this isn't getting confusing enough as it is.

I apologize to everyone who spent time running down the C angle, which really, may or may not be related to Jason/Jay and/or Doe!

I feel like I created a modern day game of phone whisper or whatever.
I have spent some time reading around, and I see some of the people posting info on this case are in completely different time zones and certainly countries.

I am thrilled that the MSM is doing a story that will target folks in the S.C. area.

Best to keep an open mind, and if you find something that you think is a solid tip, as always, send it in to LE. THEY will decide if it's valid or not.

Keep up the fantastic work guys.

FWIW, I don't see a reason yet to give more weight to one craigslist lead vs another Craigslist lead, so I don't think the C research was a waste of time or anything.

Also, if neither one is trolling but both are about different people, that also means there is potentially another missing person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong