OH OH - Ronald Tammen, 19, Oxford, 19 April 1953

On page 2 of the article, it states:
Smith said if DNA from another individual matched that of Tammen's in the future, the case could potentially be solved.

"If in the event that Tammen show up anywhere where he would have his DNA entered or a sibling, child, whatever … we would be able to have a lead on it," Smith said.

The DNA from Marcia Tammen would have a certain amount the same as Ron's, and if he has a child, his or the child's DNA would come up as a match, according to Smith. Some reasons an individual may have DNA taken would be for arrest records, some aspects of government work and the military.

Since the last couple of years, law enforcement, especially the FBI, have been listing unidentified persons DNA on Ancestory.com with hope that one day the DNA will match the victims' possible family members and their offspring through genealogy interests. I wonder if Tammen's sister's DNA is now on Ancestory.com? It's quite possible there would be a DNA match and link to someone, not just domestically here in the U.S., but more so internationally.

On page 2 of the article, it states:

Since the last couple of years, law enforcement, especially the FBI, have been listing unidentified persons DNA on Ancestory.com with hope that one day the DNA will match the victims' possible family members and their offspring through genealogy interests. I wonder if Tammen's sister's DNA is now on Ancestory.com? It's quite possible there would be a DNA match and link to someone, not just domestically here in the U.S., but more so internationally.

Since, like you, I believe in the CIA theory , it could be that it's INTENDED no one should EVER find out what became of Tammen. For some reason, in cases similar to this, like the Army intelligence guy who disappeared and Richard Colvin Cox, they won't let the families know anything, even through Freedom of Info Act; not even more than half a century later.

That, too, is very possible. But, if he did commit a crime, willingly or unwillingly, and type O blood was found, then the crime would have point to Tammen immediately. I just believe that he did leave on his own accord, desire, and choosing, and it was all planned and clandestine.

Why would it point to him immediately? It's a common blood type.

Since, like you, I believe in the CIA theory , it could be that it's INTENDED no one should EVER find out what became of Tammen. For some reason, in cases similar to this, like the Army intelligence guy who disappeared and Richard Colvin Cox, they won't let the families know anything, even through Freedom of Info Act; not even more than half a century later.

I can't buy into the CIA thing…For Ronald or for Richard. I think they met with foul play but that they might have kept secret the part of their lives that would allow one to sort out what happened to them.

moo

This is really a strange and fascinating case.
I'm stuck on the fish prank. Who put it there and why? How much were the fraternity members scrutinized? In one of the articles it is mentioned that all residents of the dorm from the time Ron went missing were interviewed, but it didn't mention anyone from the fraternity.
I could see Ron going to check on a noise and he is grabbed by a frat brother as a prank. But dorms are generally busy places and you would think someone would have seen or heard this.
Also, what was the sign in and out policy at the time? I wonder if any sort of sign in sheet was looked at to show who was visiting the dorm at the time.
What I find especially interesting is that the dorm was later torn down and a new building was built there. No bones or remains were found-not that they were looking for something like that, but he definitely had not been trapped somewhere in the building.
The CIA theory is plausible given the times, but I feel like they would have concocted a story for Ron to tell everyone and then he would have packed up and left. It seems very off that the CIA would tell him to walk out of his dorm in the middle of studying. Wonder if there were any strange cars or people seen around campus that night.
Also, it's very weird that Ron would go to a county coroner to get his blood type checked. Why not just visit a general practitioner? Why the coroner?
By all accounts Ron was a solid guy, but perhaps he was becoming mentally unsound and stressed due to schoolwork and possibly being drafted. Maybe he just cracked and left?

I don't know much about military medical requirements, but during the draft, could you be classified as 4F if you had a rare blood type? It would be difficult to give you a blood transfusion if you were wounded. I am at work and don't have time to look back thru the thread, but do we know if he was keeping his grades up? Maybe he feared flunking out and being eligible for the draft and hoped to have a rare blood type that would exclude him.

New here, but I can't find actual confirmation of the fish thing or the noises outside his room. I'm assuming the fish part of the story came from the cleaning lady/laundress? Did he actually talk to her or was she even there? So much detail is lost on this case.

Since the missing pillowcase is fact, I'm going with a fraternity prank (pillowcase over head for fake kidnapping) or an intentional departure in which he put his belongings in the pillow case. Taking his suitcase could have IDed him, and if he did leave intentionally he didn't want to be found.

I'd put more money on the fraternity bit. If I had to take some wild guesses and connect dots, I'd say that either someone put the fish in his bed so that he had to go get another set of sheets (for the pillowcase), or someone else just told the laundress that the sheets were for Ronald or looked enough like him that she just assumed. Either way, they used the pillow case over his head. I was never in Greek life, but I have many friends who are/were, or were in similar organizations. Not only are people "abducted" and released miles from their dorm/house, but they are often made to drink a bunch first. Alcohol would obviously have added to his confusion on how to get back, as well as lowered his internal body temperature, making him even more susceptible to hypothermia. His "kidnappers" could have been drinking too. They would all have felt warmer at first and probably didn't think it was actually that cold outside.

Also, how thoroughly was the room mate questioned? No reason to really suspect him, other than the fact that he was confirmed to be in the room at some point that night and was the only one there.

The blood test thing is interesting, but is possibly unrelated. It would seem that he didn't want others to know he was getting it tested, which to me says he was doing something involving paternity (his own father's, possibility at becoming a father himself, or getting a friend out of fatherly duties).

Here is an interesting new article about Ron Tammen's disappearance. I've followed the author's "Trail to the Truth" blog, which is very good. I know the theory that his disappearance had something to do with the FBI/government mentioned in this article has been discussed before, and it seems more plausible to me after reading this article.

http://miamistudent.net/?p=15003505

I am still trying to find out whether having a rare blood type would have made a man 4F for military service but have Googled it every way I can think of and cannot find out for sure. Does anyone know?

If it was the CIA, wouldn't THEY have blood typed him? I see no issue with the fish being a signal if it was the CIA, as they likely had other people on campus.

That theory aside, it is interesting to note that an alumnus of Delta Tau Delta (class of '26) was the parliamentarian of the US House of Representatives from 1927-1974. So, there's a connection to Washington politics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Deschler
http://www.miamiudelts.com/alumni

Oh, and it should be noted (in case it hasn't been already, but I didn't see it) that the first director of the CIA was in fact, an alumnus from Miami of Ohio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Souers

Also, how thoroughly was the room mate questioned? No reason to really suspect him, other than the fact that he was confirmed to be in the room at some point that night and was the only one there.

The blood test thing is interesting, but is possibly unrelated. It would seem that he didn't want others to know he was getting it tested, which to me says he was doing something involving paternity (his own father's, possibility at becoming a father himself, or getting a friend out of fatherly duties).
If I recall correctly, earlier in this board, some folks eliminated the blood test as possibly having to do with paternity, because that was not yet the technology in the 1950s.

Edited to add: Serogical testing, which became available in the 1930s, had only a 40% exclusion rate. Greater strides with more accuracy were made in the 60s but that's too late for this case.

I wonder if the blood test could have been some sort of fraternity related stunt like some of us suspect the fish was.

Perhaps he had been given the task of going to the creepiest place he could think of and coming back with proof.

*shrug* Just a thought.

People don't just vanish into thin air, but this seems to be one of those exceptions where it at least seems like it.

The blood typing thing struck me as strange too.

I really wish that his family could have some answers. I'd say it's very unlikely that he is alive and if he was a victim of foul play that his killer or killers are probably deceased or not far from it.

I was hoping the unidentified body would be his also. Looks like another young man met with a tragic and untimely end as well and I hope his identity will become known too.

I'm bumping this thread for Ronald and his family.

I wonder if the blood typing thing was because he was hoping for paternity.
Wikipedia on Conscription in the US:
To increase equity in the [draft] system, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed an executive order on July 11, 1953, that ended the paternity deferment for married men.
Tammen was missing by then...but I don't know how much "They're going to overturn the paternity deferment!" was in the news in the months before he went missing. If the paternity test was 5 months prior to his April disappearance, that would mean he had the test in November 1952. Maybe he was hoping to at least not be ruled out as the father of someone's child, so that he could marry and get a paternity deferment, whether or not he was the father. (At least, I remember that being the plot of an old Alan Alda movie.) If it became apparent that that deferment was going to end, maybe he decided to avoid the possibility of conscription by disappearing. Of course, if a woman is willing to marry you and attest that you're the father of her child (whether you are or not), I don't know if you would have had to prove it by blood test to get out of the draft back then; even today, the law is most states is that all children born during a (heterosexual) marriage are legally assumed to be fathered by the husband. Also, he was only a sophomore and had at least 2 years of college deferment left, and the Korean War was already winding down when he disappeared (armistice was just a few months later), but maybe he was looking ahead to the possibility of Vietnam, which was already in the pipeline by then. Having said that, I don't think that's why he got a paternity test, or that he was trying to avoid the draft. I teach adults, and all male students are required to register for Selective Service to get financial aid (and who doesn't need financial aid these days?), and none of them are apprehensive about or even much aware of what Selective Service even entails. (On the other hand, the draft isn't active right now, and plenty of my students eventually go military for the educational benefits.)

I also can't find anything specific about blood type as a possible medical deferment during the Korean War, but current guidelines only list actual blood disorders like anemia:

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf

I would speculate that during the draft, at a time when war was less technological than it is now, and more about ensuring a supply of soldiers for the front line, that fewer conditions would get you an exemption than today, so if it doesn't apply today, it probably didn't then. If anything, I wonder if being O- (universal donor) is what would get you an exemption (rather than having a rare blood type), since you might have been perceived as too valuable as a blood donor to risk. Someone above hypothesized that perhaps the blood test was for a possible Rh factor issue in a pregnancy (if he'd been the father), and I think that's a good theory. My mother is O-, and her pregnancies with my older sister and me (in the 60s) were dicey. My folks already knew that there'd be an issue bloodwise, but that's because my mom was an RN and my dad was military, so they were pretty well-schooled on blood type.

My last thought is that my father did some pretty shadowy things for DoD in Cold War Europe (where we were stationed when I was growing up), and I just don't see Ronald Tammen or the Cox guy being whisked away by CIA recruiters and not allowed to ever contact family again. Janice Pennington's husband, Fritz Stammberger, was a rugged mountain climber and athlete with backcountry survival skills who spoke several languages. Ronald Tammen was a business major who played the bass fiddle. I don't doubt that the CIA did (and does) all kinds of shady things...but I don't really see them signaling generic business majors with dead fish and sending 20 year old kids immediately into deep cover ops. (We often weren't allowed to know where my father was going, what he was doing, or when exactly he would be back. But we always knew he was going TDY--he never just disappeared.)

And speaking of fish...what I want to know is: Did anyone ever find a fish in the trash, either in Ronald's room or in the dormitory dumpster? I suppose if it was just a dead goldfish, he might have just flushed it...but if it was big enough to necessitate even changing pillowcases, shouldn't there have been a big dead fish somewhere? (I'm thinking that--if there was a fish--it was a sizable one, because even though housekeeping probably automatically supplied a pillowcase with all fresh changes of linen, that doesn't mean a college guy would go to the trouble of changing all the linens unless needed.)

College-age is when schizophrenia, bipolar, etc. often begin to manifest themselves, and 1950s middle America was not a good time or place to be if you were struggling with issues such as sexuality, for example. So I would lean toward something along those lines as a possible reason to either disappear, or at least, to have secrets. (Not that there's any evidence of either in this particular case. But I'm not sure those things were spoken out loud as possibilities at that time.)

Just my random thoughts after reading through the thread--

Mouse, you brought up a great idea in that maybe he was hoping to prove he was a father. I never thought of that as it seems most young unmarried men are hoping for the opposite result.

I posted this a year ago, #139, about the blood testing being for paternity. I have always believed that to be the reason for the blood test. There have been other valid reasons brought up as well, but for some reason, I have never been able to shake the thought that the blood test was to prove paternity.

BBM

I keep going back to the blood test in this case. It just seems strange to go to a doctor out of the blue, especially a county coroner, and request a blood test. I've always had paternity in the back of my mind for a possible reason for the blood test. The article below mentions a few possible reasons for getting the blood test. "Tammen could have had his blood typed in 1953 for a number of reasons including an expected surgery, paternity reasons, if he was applying for something maybe a marriage license – or planning to donate blood." (BBM).

However, Richard pointed out in a post from 3/28/2012, post #96 on page 4 of this thread, that back then, paternity could not be established with a blood test, only disproved. So many baffling questions in this case.

David Paulides, author of the well researched and profoundly disturbing "Missing 411" books (re persons whose disappearance fit a certain set of circumstances), has written about Ron Tammen. Paulides' son, Ben, attended Miami in recent years, and heard an additional eerie thing that seemed to be connected--3 weeks or so after Ron went missing, singing was heard from the area of the formal gardens around Fisher Hall. It was a male voice. Some of the students went out looking for a man singing and finally recruited enough people to encircle the whole area shoulder to shoulder and move inward. The singing eventually stopped but they still saw no one and were standing around when suddenly out a of bush nearby, jumped a tall, white clad figure that bounded away from the them in the direction of the creek, at an impossibly fast clip. They couldn't catch up and never discovered any more about it. They surmised perhaps it was Tammen's ghost.

Personally I am inclined to think there was some sort of "CIA" involvement. They were recruiting, and why would they restrict themselves to "Ivies." Never heard that. More middle-American types would be far more likely to be drawn into it, more likely to be "patriotic", and more impressed by any amenities that came with it. Ivy Leagues more often provide politiicans, pundits, and economists, not secret intelligence operatives. Tammen was close to his family, so to never see them again would seem to have involved coercion or hypnosis. 1953 was around the year the "Manchurian Candidate" came out, and discovery of mind control/brainwashing activities in Korea and in Russia. Ewen Cameron was active in America and the OSS was morphing into the CIA. Operation Paperclip was busy exporting ex-German scientists to form NASA. I could go on, but college campuses during the 1950s were not just sports and goldfish swallowing. Post-WWII experiments with controlling human behavior and the mind were intense--an entire village in France was given LSD surreptitiously in the early 50s, with disastrous results. As late the early 60s, the CIA admitted freely to using this drug in mind experiments. Ron may have been fingered for various qualities, as an operative, and forced to "join." The sighting of him and some other men in the restaurant (by Stephenson) after his disappearance suggests such a thing too--Ron just stared through him without expression and Stephenson was oddly constrained. The normal reaction would have been to go over and say " aren't you....?" No. Just didn't say anything until he was out of sight of the men.
Miami had a been a Navy training base during WWII and that's another clue. They still knew about the place. The Navy, for some reason, was more involved with "intelligence" activities of a top secret nature, than other branches.
As far as the blood typing, it does seem he was trying to establish a kind of identifying feature for some reason. Maybe he was trying ward off the suggestions of the "intelligence" recruiters, and blood type was significant. The Japanese pay so much attention to blood type, they are known to use it in hiring practices, as different types indicate different types of personalities. The researchers of that era were drawing on findings from all countries in this work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back