Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

It shows we can partner with LE, that they can trust the information that we send as being reasonable and that our intentions are all about the resolution not the glory.

That's what I was trying to say. I meant credit like "We can do this! Look how all these different things worked together!"

I get what you are saying, but I really think "credit" is the wrong approach. It has taken a village and it can happen again. People with cold MP cases in their lives can find a place, like this one, like FB, like reddit, like imugr, where they can get their story told and have a dozen, a hundred, a thousand people willing to help. And eventually it can lead to a resolution.

Once Jason is ruled in/out against GDD, the story becomes the family's to tell. That's when the loved ones get to decide what they want to know and what they want to share about all of it. And part of that decision making will be what they want to share with all of us. jmvho.

You know who deserves credit? Every person living or dead over the last 20 years who cared about this young man. Every time someone thought about him it was another step closer to giving him back his name. He was never alone. For two decades he had thousands of brothers and sisters guiding him on his journey home.

So many roads I tell you
New York to San Francisco
All I want is one
to take me home
From the high road to the low
So many roads I know
So many roads to ease my soul

You know who deserves credit? Every person living or dead over the last 20 years who cared about this young man. Every time someone thought about him it was another step closer to giving him back his name. He was never alone. For two decades he had thousands of brothers and sisters guiding him on his journey home.

So many roads I tell you
New York to San Francisco
All I want is one
to take me home
From the high road to the low
So many roads I know
So many roads to ease my soul

<3 Well said.

I wish for a similar "happy ending" for Lyle Stevik.

Seems they have removed the FB post that started the credit-gate tangent.

I am also gobsmacked to read over there that there are over 1800 unidentified bodies in California alone - is this figure right??!

I know this has nothing to do with the investigation or the wait. But all I can say is Jason has an amazing smile. The kind of smile that makes you want to get to know him. The smile where you can just tell he'd be fun to spend time with. The person that could make you smile.

I am also gobsmacked to read over there that there are over 1800 unidentified bodies in California alone - is this figure right??!

I read that every year 4000 people go missing. Only 2500 are found by the end of that year, so yeah, there is a huge number of people who go missing and of bodies that are not identified.

Hi, just wanted to say something about parents not reporting their adult children as missing...when I worked in health care many years I met so many people who hadn't seen one of their adult kids for many years, sometimes for decades, and they didn't think of them as missing. They would simply say something along the lines of "I have a son (or daughter) but I don't have any idea where they are, they took off long ago and I haven't heard from them for years".

They didn't think of them as missing, as they were young adults who'd voluntarily left home to wander or seek a new life, they hadn't disappeared under suspicious circumstances. They didn't think of them as endangered or dead, they seemed to take the view that their family member was alive but simply "out there somewhere", especiially if their adult child was known to enjoy a wandering type of life style in the past, for example, traveling to work at/ follow carnivals, or roaming the country with a biker gang, etc.

One personal experience--my brother was one of those who would simply take off sometimes, not contact any one for long periods, then suddenly turn up. When my dad called LE once to try and report him missing during a particularly long stretch without communication, they would hardly talk to my dad, much less take a report-- my dad was simply told, "he's an adult, he can be out of touch if he wants to, for as long as he wants". Their view seemed to be that an adult leaving voluntarily, no suspicious circumstances, wasn't really considered "missing", at least from an LE standpoint.

Good heavens! The police told me exactly that as to my daughter's circumstances! I cannot describe how upsetting it is when you know your child is in no way in control of her circumstances, her mind, and you have reason to believe she is very much at risk and have even presented your case as to why that is. There IS such a thing as a mother's instinct. To have your every protectivw impulse casually disregarded is more devastating than anyone who has not experienced it can possibly know. Now I am in tears. I am just so tired of all this. I get very angry when people assume that it is easy to go to the police and that they will automatically agree to take the report.

There are about 47K unidentified currently in the US alone.

Although I agree that speaking about "credit" is a bit tacky, what I do think should be told is the "the how", not the "who". Lots of people picked up the story in the middle and don't know that WS and FB were diligently plugging away for a very long while, and then things changed when someone (who has repeatedly said he/she wants no credit) posted the images to new sites on social media and got the ball rolling to a whole new crowd of eyes. It was there that someone, finally recognized the Grateful Dead Doe as their temporary, transient roommate from years ago. Pictures from the roommates followed, and the story took on a life of its own. I think it is important that this story gets heard because I think it was a new push, a new mindset, and that we can all learn to try a bigger set of tools in future endeavors.

... what I do think should be told is the "the how", not the "who"... I think it is important that this story gets heard because I think it was a new push, a new mindset, and that we can all learn to try a bigger set of tools in future endeavors.

S&BBM

I absolutely agree with this. The "how" used a new set of tools and a different mindset. Obviously what we had been doing wasn't working, or at least wasn't working very fast at all.

Answering my own question! There are 540 unidentified listed on the UK Missing Persons website, elsewhere I read it's nearer 1000 as they don't include partial remains or babies on that site. Still way more than I had guessed.
http://www.missingpersons.police.uk/en/search

Wait, it's seriously only 1,000? No way. The UK has 64.1 million people; I thought the number would be closer to 3,000.

Jason has kind eyes, and an adorable smile. I wish I could've known him back then. I'm also grateful I made it through several tours without something terrible happening to me. I hitchhiked, got stranded, and there were several car accidents that I was in, as a passenger. My mother called hospitals and police stations when she didn't hear from me for a while. I hope that for Jason's family closure happens sooner than expected.

Good heavens! The police told me exactly that as to my daughter's circumstances! I cannot describe how upsetting it is when you know your child is in no way in control of her circumstances, her mind, and you have reason to believe she is very much at risk and have even presented your case as to why that is. There IS such a thing as a mother's instinct. To have your every protectivw impulse casually disregarded is more devastating than anyone who has not experienced it can possibly know. Now I am in tears. I am just so tired of all this. I get very angry when people assume that it is easy to go to the police and that they will automatically agree to take the report.

This is not at all comparable to having a loved one go missing, but my dog was stolen by an acquaintance about 2 years ago (I got her back myself, it's a long, weird story), and I tried several times to make a police report and they just asked me how much money the dog was worth. The adoption fee was $150, but she's my dog, a family member, or at least, a living creature with legal rights to good welfare who's legally owned and licensed by me as well. When I said $150, they seemed even more dumbfounded that I was even calling this in. I know the dog is technically property, but come on, what kind of person steals a dog?? The police said they would send someone over to the place where this woman worked. According to her, the police did show up at her workplace, but lied to them about the situation (even though my dog has a microchip and license with photographic records, both traceable to me), and they apparently took her word for it and never followed up with me. I called several times and it was even worse than being ignored, in a way, because each time they said they would do something about it but apparently never did, and never got back to me. I'm not bashing LE whatsoever, I just sympathize with those who try to make an MP report because I can see how LE might not take into account the knowledge or even proof that family and friends might have as to why the missing person is most likely in danger. They may not ever hear it, because the person may be dismissed altogether, or passed around from one officer or administrator to another, having to start their story over each time, and wasting time waiting because they think something is being done, meanwhile the LE officials have more or less dismissed the report and will not be following up.
Had I not very quickly found and confronted the person myself, she would've sold my dog, or worse. When officers seemed dismissive and responded to me as if I was crazy, I was still respectful to them but inside I was furious and very intimidated at the same time, feeling stupid for asking for help even though I should not have had to solve the problem myself because it could have been dangerous, for both me and the dog. Also because they didn't hear my story, they didn't know the situation could be dangerous.
Anyway, just my :twocents:. I empathize with all those who have needed to report someone missing. I'm starting a second bachelor's degree program in Nursing in a week, and I want to become a forensic nurse, and hopefully advocate and find LE and legal help for those who've been harmed, or whose loved ones are in danger. :hug:

Wait, it's seriously only 1,000? No way. The UK has 64.1 million people; I thought the number would be closer to 3,000.

We are a pretty small island, plus we have a much lower murder rate than the US which must also help.

We are a pretty small island, plus we have a much lower murder rate than the US which must also help.

USA has a 5 times bigger population, and a 5 times higher murder rate. I suppose there is also geography to consider - much harder to hide a body in the UK as more densely populated and just generally smaller/easier to search, whereas in USA there are vast areas (deserts, mountains) barely inhabited I guess?

This is the UK list of unidentified if anyone's interested, averages about 6 per year. http://missingpersons.police.uk/en/search

I think that every parent who has tried to file a report on a missing adult child has experienced this very thing. What is scary, is that this has happened when underage children have gone missing in the past-they were characterized as "runaways", and law enforcement didn't put any effort into finding them. To be fair to LE, it's a gigantic world out there, and they could literally be looking forever for a missing person, and never have time to do anything else-but that isn't to say they shouldn't try, at least with underage children. I think that the situation with children has gotten better, with the availabilty of publicity to the families-puts some pressure on the authorities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back