Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not mean to imply that they didn't run into trouble. I was only addressing the point about driving back late, and saying i find nothing suspicious in the timing. Meeting after work would make sense, and the drive back isn't that long if they're used to driving.

Do you see any difference in meeting someone possibly for dinner then having a 3 hour drive home - VS. - purchasing a car and towing/driving it 3 hours home in the dark? I am in my 60's - I am a teacher, I am in good health, I go out in the evenings....but I would NOT intentionally plan to do the above.

I feel that adds to the suspicious nature of this "seller". Did he tell them he could only meet later (after work) - did he pressure them (others may buy it first) etc. etc.

You can certainly disagree but I feel this would not be someone's first choice to conduct such a transaction UNLESS the seller caused it somehow.

JUST MY OPINION - absolutely NO disrespect or slight intended to my fellow "over 60" friends!!!

I did not mean to imply that they didn't run into trouble. I was only addressing the point about driving back late, and saying i find nothing suspicious in the timing. Meeting after work would make sense, and the drive back isn't that long if they're used to driving.

Do you see any difference in meeting someone possibly for dinner then having a 3 hour drive home - VS. - purchasing a car and towing/driving it 3 hours home in the dark? I am in my 60's - I am a teacher, I am in good health, I go out in the evenings....but I would NOT intentionally plan to do the above.

I feel that adds to the suspicious nature of this "seller". Did he tell them he could only meet later (after work) - did he pressure them (others may buy it first) etc. etc.

You can certainly disagree but I feel this would not be someone's first choice to conduct such a transaction UNLESS the seller caused it somehow.

JUST MY OPINION - absolutely NO disrespect or slight intended to my fellow "over 60" friends!!!

It would depend on whether they were used to driving three hours after dark. I am; if it was driving two cars home, I wouldn't think twice about it. Towing might be a different question, but it seems to be mostly main roads and the weather was okay, wasn't it?

Just a thought, say hypothetically the "Seller" has nothing to do with this...yes, he might find it odd that they never showed up, and maybe even tried to call them, but their phone would be off...he might not think more of it unless he saw the news reports, which maybe he hasn't...now, when buying and selling on CL there can be a lot of flakes from what I've seen via my friends selling stuff...people agree to come meet and never show up, call...I think that's a big part of it, waiting around on people who never show up...now, do I think this is the case, not likely, but just wanted to mention about flakiness being normal for craigslist transactions.

In Tim Bosma's case, I think stuff went down during the test drive. I'm imagining a possible scenario where Bud and June basically walked right into a trap, maybe at someone's property... Maybe 2 perps, maybe one keeps June hostage while the other goes with Bud to get the money, if he didn't bring cash...I hate to think these scenarios, and I hope the family isn't reading here.

Im 50, i would have never gone off to answer an ad, call me paranoid, if' it's not a reputable dealer or someone who knows someone or I pass it for sale on the side of the road, think i'd do without it, some people have just never dealt with sinister individuals (lucky you if that's the case lol) and so they have no paranoia whatsoever, no matter the age and btw, I think i may have said elderly too, for lack of a better term

I think Bud would give it one hell of a shot giving it everything in him to put up a hell of a fight and protect June. Jmo

Gosh, if this is a case of robbery, just take the money, don't hurt these people! :(

Just a thought, say hypothetically the "Seller" has nothing to do with this...yes, he might find it odd that they never showed up, and maybe even tried to call them, but their phone would be off...he might not think more of it unless he saw the news reports, which maybe he hasn't...now, when buying and selling on CL there can be a lot of flakes from what I've seen via my friends selling stuff...people agree to come meet and never show up, call...I think that's a big part of it, waiting around on people who never show up...now, do I think this is the case, not likely, but just wanted to mention about flakiness being normal for craigslist transactions.

In Tim Bosma's case, I think stuff went down during the test drive. I'm imagining a possible scenario where Bud and June basically walked right into a trap, maybe at someone's property... Maybe 2 perps, maybe one keeps June hostage while the other goes with Bud to get the money, if he didn't bring cash...I hate to think these scenarios, and I hope the family isn't reading here.

good point, but it doesn't feel good to me thus far, hoping something minor

It would depend on whether they were used to driving three hours after dark. I am; if it was driving two cars home, I wouldn't think twice about it. Towing might be a different question, but it seems to be mostly main roads and the weather was okay, wasn't it?

heavy rains all day friday around macon ga, not sure about thursday south of there

Quote:

Rsbm:
"Im 50, i would have never gone off to answer an ad, call me paranoid, if' it's not a reputable dealer or someone who knows someone or I pass it for sale on the side of the road, think i'd do without it, some people have just never dealt with sinister individuals (lucky you if that's the case lol) and so they have no paranoia whatsoever, no matter the age and btw, I think i may have said elderly too, for lack of a better term[/QUOTE]

You're FIFTY!!??!! :eek: Just kidding, :wink:

Actually - the weather was not great - it was in the 30's - overcast (misty) and rain beginning that evening. By Fri. morning, it was raining heavily. This was predicted (the rain). http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-forecast/525469_pc+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

My husband and I are in our 50's and I don't think we would ever use Craig's list for something really expensive. We wouldn't go to someone's house to look at something either. I tend to be paranoid about getting scammed so my guard is always up, especially when dealing with strangers. I think the Runions seem to be in good health mentally and physically, so probably just more trusting of people and perhaps unaware of danger. I also agree that it's usually younger people who get scammed or worse from Craig's list.

I do agree with you about what probably happened to them too :(

Their daughters said in the interview that their dad was always very cautious and taught them to be. That being said, he was/is only 5'7 and around 160 lbs. I fear he could be easily overtaken.

My husband has bought many things on Craigslist and while he has never had a problem, I will always make sure I have an address of where he is going. My husband is 6'4 career military and always has his side arm but still you never know these days.

I just have a bad feeling about this poor couple.

The burner phone was reported to have "moved south" of McRae.
The area where LE set up "camp" is in the southern part of Telfair County, near the small town of Jacksonville, GA, and the Ocmulgee River.
I've heard lots of stories over the years about Jacksonville, none of which are good.

More about the Ocmulgee River for reference:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocmulgee_River
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/geography-environment/ocmulgee-river
http://garivers.org/other-georgia-rivers/ocmulgee-river.html
http://www.georgiaconservancy.org/diy/ocmulgee-river.html

I don't have a good feeling, either. Too many things don't add up. I don't believe there was ever a 66 Mustang for sale. I think the perp read Craigslist, and it was a crime of opportunity.

As an aside, I become very suspicious when I meet someone who is trying to sell me something, and they immediately start talking about church, or being a Christian. That's when my hinky meter hits the roof. Sad, but true. They do this to gain your trust. I think this may have happened here.

IMHO

Bud fought in Vietnam. A lot of that war was guerrilla. I don't see someone being naive and trusting and coming home from combat in Nam. I just don't. The vets I know still unconsciously scan rooms. They position themselves between the unknown and those they love. And these aren't guys with PTSD, just guys who learned to survive. It's a bit like hanging out with a retired cop. They're always assessing the situation. If this was a trap, it was likely swift and full force.

I don't have a good feeling, either. Too many things don't add up. I don't believe there was ever a 66 Mustang for sale. I think the perp read Craigslist, and it was a crime of opportunity.

As an aside, I become very suspicious when I meet someone who is trying to sell me something, and they immediately start talking about church, or being a Christian. That's when my hinky meter hits the roof. Sad, but true. They do this to gain your trust. I think this may have happened here.

IMHO

Rright on wildebeest! Me too and It is sad, I consider myself a christian but many wolves out there in sheeps clothing

I have tons of relatives in coffee county, good people there far as I know, jacksonville is just above broxton where my grandad grew up, never got down there much, just realized this is where jacksonville is, but the river there, mm, not good,

btw I found the coffee county online scanner and am listening in , can't locate a jacksonville or telfair coutny
ga live feed, anyone know?

Bud fought in Vietnam. A lot of that war was guerrilla. I don't see someone being naive and trusting and coming home from combat in Nam. I just don't. The vets I know still unconsciously scan rooms. They position themselves between the unknown and those they love. And these aren't guys with PTSD, just guys who learned to survive. It's a bit like hanging out with a retired cop. They're always assessing the situation. If this was a trap, it was likely swift and full force.

Well stated.

Sad to think of Bud surviving Vietnam and then all these years later - to be possibly harmed by some scum from our own country :( (praying they are somehow still safe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23