IL IL - Rachel Mellon Skemp, 13, Bolingbrook, 31 Jan 1996

Who is the father of Rachel's younger sister, who was 6 when Rachel was killed?

Happy Easter Rachel. I'm praying that God will lead someone, anyone upon you so you can finally be brought home. I pray for your dad, Jeff, to be able to finally have closure & I pray that the b*stard who did this to you will face the worse punishment imaginable!

On previous posts here the question at hand was DNA from the stepfather which is said that he refused to give. These days detectives simply follow the suspect to grab their garbage that would carry that DNA from their home or work garbage (via a cup, cigarette, etc) -

Also on previous posts questions the mother and her knowledge of the stepfather's guilt. Has she defended him on her missing? Has she made any statements at all regarding the stepfather and their history?

Another post questions information on Rachel's sister. Anyone know about that?

They do have a FB page for Rachel, and that is consistently updated, however A. I do not know who updates it, and B., there is no history on Rachel's disappearance.

This case also tugs at me, but the initial investigation or her missing is something I am not fully aware of. However I will go back to this entire thread, and in the meantime, I hope we all go back to reviewing this case together.

In doing my research on Rachel's case, this is what I found. While there are many news reports I reviewed there are two that stand out the most with critical information that I will share. To keep a case alive you must review all of the known information - Facts... Facts without the suspects words (that always throws off a case).

The mother was married to the stepfather - not the father. They both lived on the 600 block of Melissa Drive in Bolingbrook. January 1996 was when she was last seen right out of her home. Her coat, shoes and purse were at home. Missing was her blanket and TWO pillows. The stepfather VINCE was the only one in the home during her disappearance. He has a previous violent record with the police and has previously attacked the mother and Rachel. The mother only rehearses the stories that are on police record publicly. They moved away from the home after her disappearance. They are still married. Neither one comply with police at all any longer.

There WAS DNA taken from the stepfather immediately following Rachel's disappearance. He reportedly failed the polygraph. The mother passed the polygraph.

The father lived in Texas at the time of Rachel's disappearance and moved back to Illinois approximately a week after she went missing. He still lives here in Illinois, and he runs Rachel's missing Facebook page and is very active on the page for Rachel and other missing persons.

The stepfather declares he was home with Rachel that day. He says he took the dog out under 20 degrees freezing temps for approximately 1/2 hour, loses the dog and comes home alone, never checking on Rachel or seeing her ever again.

Rachel made one last call that day to her grandmother at about 1045AM and hangs up once she confirms to the grandmother that the stepfather was there and she had to go.
The stepfather reported the call was 12pm-1230pm which was incorrect time according to the private investigator.

Rachel's sister gets home about 330pm and notices that Rachel is gone. No one reports anything at this time.
Rachel's mother gets home approximately 5pm and is told Rachel disappeared. No one reports anything at this time.

The report isn't made until 6pm.
The stepfather is alone with Rachel from 1045AM - 330PM. That is the true time gap here.
Why the family waited to report it till 6pm is beyond understanding.

Questions:
Why did the stepfather go out to walk a dog in freezing temps, nonetheless for 1/2 hour?
Why did he care so much to take the dog out yet LEAVE THE DOG OUT lost and comes back alone?
The neighbor found the dog and brought the dog home.

Were there any confirmations by neighbors of the stepfather and the dog being outside at all that day?
Did the daughter get questioned? Did she know anything?

Police did search the area on foot, by water and air. Nothing was found.
They did a door to door search. No report of anything the neighbors may have seen or heard.
Did they go back after the weather broke?
Police removed items from the house. What were they?

At first the mother assisted in the investigation but then ceased to assist permanently to date.
She still is married and lives with the stepfather.
Did she say anything about the diary that states she was being molested?
Why would she stay with this man knowing her missing daughters written claims of molestation?
She may not have known what happened then... but she has to know more now.
During the time of the grand jury in 2000 Amy the mother reportedly defended the stepfather.

Where the neighbors questioned? Did any of them appear at the grand jury? Did any of them see anything?
Why did it take 4 years for Rachel's diary to be reported?

Could the stepfather had taken the dog out earlier to avoid the dog from interfering with his plans to hurt Rachel?

If the stepfather said he hadn't seen her after they played video games why did he say to the police she was sleeping in her room?

To put it on record, there are two half siblings not one.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/21/ng.01.html

http://www.findmissingkids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243

If you ask me, it seems the "walk my dog in twenty below degree weather" either never happened or it was purposely planned to create an alibi for the stepfather. It's easier for him to say Rachel disappeared while he was gone then while he was home with her. Obviously, Rachel would not leave her home. All her belongings, her shoes, jacket, purse was left behind-and WHY would she want to leave her home in that freezing weather when she's already sick?

I believe Rachel's claim that Vince was molesting her. I don't mean to speculate, but with them home alone together, it was an opportunity for him to sexually abuse her. What if Rachel fought back this time, and refused his advances? Is it possible this upset him so much, he smothered her with the pillows, then wrapped her up in her blanket and hide her body? It's pretty strange to me that the only thing missing from that house was two pillows and a blanket. Like I've said before, this is a case that frustrates me so much because I am convinced her step father killed her and knows where she currently rests. Anyone can sit down and put these events of the day in order and see this whole scene play out. My heart breaks for Rachel, she was one of many children whose lives are taken from the means of abuse from the hands of someone who they should be able to trust.

Also, does anyone know if Rachel's sister was also molested by Vince? Where is she now? Did she stay with them? Was Vince's vehicle searched? Are there any sheds on the property? Crawl spaces, secret openings in the walls, etc? Thinking of how cold it was outside, it limits where he could have put her. It was unlikely he could bury her in the frozen ground. He had to have tucked her away somewhere...Are there any abandoned or deteriorating buildings in this area? He would only have a few hours to move her, unless he put her somewhere and came back later.

I hope you are found, sweet Rachel. I hope we can find you, and get the evidence we need to get this monster the punishment he deserves for what he did to you!

This case breaks my heart. Why is the mother still with this man? Does anyone know where these two people are? Also, the stepdad had a really, really short window of time to dispose of Rachel, unless the mom helped out. Was the grandma suspicious at all?

Interesting possibility, liaanne. Rachel is not listed as a rule out and the circumstances seem to match fairly well. There are dentals and dna on the UID, but I am not sure if the two have been compared.

It would also be nice to know the size of the lace top and dress found with the UID. I think it is worth calling in. I'd contact the LE side. I'm not sure it's a match, but Rachel should definately be compared for a positive rule in, or rule out.

Good find and welcome to WS liaanne :welcome:

The fact that mom is still with this guy o_0. This is a sick world.

1217 UFIL looks like a possible match for Rachel.
1. Found in Chicago, IL; about a half-hour drive from Bolingbrook
2. Estimated age of 13-18
3. Caucasian but may have admixture of Mongoloid
4. Estimated date of death is 8 years prior; Rachel went missing 9 years before Jane Doe was found.
https://identifyus.org/cases/10693
Doe network: http://doenetwork.org/cases/1217ufil.html
What do you think?

I think the eyes seem a bit close together(but you never know with some of these reconstructions)...the age range, general date of death, and suggested racial profile do all fit, though.

I very much do not want it to be her, because I've always hoped she could still be alive, and that she managed to run away from her incredible failure of a family...but, it is only too obvious to me what probably happened.

I have been in "relationships" that have shown me that the brainwashing that often accompanies abuse is a very real thing...but, even so, it still strikes me as calloused, and practically inhuman, that her mother chose someone like her "husband" over the safety of her own daughter in the first place...and even continued(and continues) to stay staunchly loyal to him after said daughter was shown to have disappeared while under his "care".

Where are the mom and husband now and did they ever take her other daughter from her?

I'd like to know why she had her stepfathers last name. It's not particularilly common for a step parent to adopt a child and hyphenate their last name, especially when her real dad is in the picture. I am remarried and if my current husband asked to adopt my son and give him his last name my ex husband would NEVER agree to it. I feel like maybe everyone failed this girl. I'm not coming down on her real dad, people do their best in bad situation, but why would he move across the country and let another man give his baby girl a different last name?

Stepfather had to have been involved. How's this theory? Step dad makes sexual advances, Rachel rejects. Step dad becomes enraged or worries she will tell mother or police so he disposes of her or has someone come abduct her while he is walking dog. Rachel is sold in to human trafficking and could be still alive?

If he killed her, how do you dispose of a body in below zero weather?

I think your theory is correct except he killed her and put her in a dumpster

That would be one way to discard in cold. Can't believe he hasn't been arrested.

I don't mean to be mean, because the dad is a victim here, but why did he let the mom move across the country with this girl and again, why did he let him adopt Rachel? Wasn't he suspicious of the guy? If so, why didn't he go after Rachel re custody and alert cops. It sounds like he was suspicious. The dad's behavior isn't adding up. And again, where are the mom and stepdad now? Are they still married and was Rachel's sister taken from them?

This was one of the first cold cases I ever became involved with. Rachel is Asian/White mixed like me, and so I suppose I always had a sort of attachment to the case. After reading up on the case I'm positive the step-dad killed her. I follow the Facebook page which is run by her biological father (and one of her childhood friends I think) and he updates the page regularly with info on other missing person cases as well as periodic posts about Rachel (i.e. like celebrating her birthday, the day she went missing etc); everytime I see a post from that Facebook page it breaks my heart because his little girl still hasn't been found. I hope that the step-father comes forward one day and confesses because we know he's the one who killed her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back