Identified! MA - Granby, off Route 116, WhtFem 15-26, UP14969, shallow grave, clothes, gold ring, Nov'78 - Patricia Ann Tucker

What about the possibility that she was a tourist, on a visitor visa, or a recent immigrant?

Growing up someplace in Europe where the water was not flouridated might contribute to poor dentition. The fact that there is no tag on the clothing...perhaps it was made for her?

The shirt really looks like a childs shirt , back in 1970s childrens clothing went up to a sizes 14/16 Then after that juniors sizes 5 and up. in the 80s you find even smaller junior sizes 1 and 3 and 16s in childrens clothing was hard to find. Just something that I thought of and though i would add.

I searched in NCEMC for girls weighing between 120 and 170 lbs, whose current age would have put them at the age of the UID, and only turned up one who could really be called "chunky": Joyce Creola Brewer – The Charley Project She was 15 when she disappeared in Texas in 1970, so would have been 23 in 1978.

That would only catch those who were under 18 when they went missing. Since the UID is estimated to be adult, that's by no means all the possibilities.

if she was really 5"7 and 135, she was not chunky. at that height you can be up to probably 160 and not be chunky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I am 5'7" and even at my heaviest (low 140s) was far from "chunky". I say that's average to slim, even.

I missed where the UID is said to have been that tall. I thought we only knew the size (14/16 in '70s sizing) and that she was "chunky".

Just reminded me - Last month, the sister of this woman, Claire Angelene Boussierre/Warner posted missing person notice for her on the Never Forget Me fb page. Claire has been missing since 1978, but she is not listed on any of the major public listings (NamUS, Charley, DoeNet, or NAMPN).

4c3d5d63-5433-4290-b6e6-3c188e4100f0.jpg

I suggested to Claire's sister that she look into the possibility that this Granby Jane Doe might be Claire.

She said that she would contact LE ASAP, though I have never verified whether she actually did.

I was a freshman in high school when Jane Doe's body was discovered. I remember talking about it with one of my friends in band. He used to ride his dirt bike in the area. In recent years, I rediscovered the case online and even checked it out with my friend who recently retired as police chief. He wasn't chief in 1978, but he remembers the case and occasional inquiries from people working online and, in one case, a psychic. Granby passed the case on to the state police, who do all murder cases for our town. In 1978, no one on the Granby police force was really trained to do any work on the case. The GPD has very little information on file. After reading some of the misinformation about the case, I thought I would weigh in with some facts and thoughts. I sent corrections to the Doe Network and it now has a more accurate entry.

Amherst Street, Not Amherst Road
Jane Doe was discovered off of Amherst Street, NOT Amherst Road.
Amherst Street is a well-traveled street that runs from Route 202 to Route 116. (Amherst Road is actually part of Route 116). In 1978, the trails were not as popular or well-kept as they are now. The Notch Visitors Center that provides parking for the trails may not have been built. Up until the 1970s, there was a night club called Henri's on the site. I think it closed in the early 1980s, but I can't find anything online about it. At any rate, the trails, many of which were built during the Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corps, lead nowhere near the Jane Doe site. In fact, they can't reach the site there is a lake in between.

College kids may have hitched on Amherst Road/Route 116 because it runs from UMass and Amherst College, past Hampshire College, and then Mount Holyoke College. Amherst Street, however, is perpendicular to Amherst Road; it doesn't lead to the colleges. I can't find corroboration for it, but there was likely free bus service along Amherst Road/Route 116. It was there in the early and mid-1980s and may have been available then. Hitch hiking was probably less popular than some have made it seem.

Amherst Street was a fairly busy street. It's not a leisurely country road. Traffic moves at 40-50 miles an hour. There is truck traffic. The street offers a convenient way to go from the Amherst area and Chicopee and the western parts of Springfield. Amherst Street crosses Aldrich Lake where fishing was and still is popular. In the early 70s, there was still an indoor pavilion that had been used as a roller skating rink earlier in the century. On the shores, there was also a Boy Scout camp.

The dump site was at least a half mile from the lake. One thing that hasn't been mentioned about that location is that big power lines run parallel to Amherst Street. I don't know the distance between the lines and the street, but because the land was mostly clear below the lines, people did ride dirt bikes out there. My friend in high school remarked about the body being near where he rode. I heard a rumor that police did target shooting out there, but I have no corroboration for that. I don't know about a gravel pit, but there were many around Granby in those days. There are houses in front of the site now, but there were houses in the area at that time. It was not a deserted country road.

The information about Jane Doe's is sparse. The most striking feature is that she had noticeable tooth decay. Although we might associate tooth decay with drug use, it's important to note that neither crystal meth nor crack were being smoked much, if at all, back then. My guess is that the poor condition of her teeth was due to poverty. Her clothes also suggest she might have been poor. Her hair seems to have been the nondescript color between blonde and brown. In 1978, forensics were relatively primitive, and her body was fairly well skeletonized. Most striking was the fact that she had a leather belt, perhaps to drag her to the burial site, around her neck. She was shot in the head, my friend the former police chief thinks, with a low caliber gun, a .22 or .32.

Some thoughts.
Granby is rural, but not isolated. The city of Holyoke is 15 minutes away, Springfield 25 minutes. The city of Chicopee shares a border with Granby. Hunting is less popular today than it was in 1978 when we had a class to get our Firearms Identification Cards. (A few years earlier kids brought their guns to school for the class). There is enough land where Jane Doe was found to hunt, though I'm not aware of people hunting there. Granby did have extensive, convenient land available for bird and deer hunting. Aldrich Lake never attracted thousands of people for fishing. It's not a vacation spot. There were always people fishing from shore and sometimes from canoes. That was it for recreation.

Granby Jane Doe was found on the eastern side of Amherst Street, off the side that is headed toward Amherst. This suggests that she might have been dumped from a vehicle coming from that direction. That's not a given, but it makes sense. There is one side street off of Amherst Street called Easton Street. It is not well-traveled, even today. It also enters at an awkward angle. Without evidence, I tend to think that the person who dumped the body was someone familiar with the road traveling from Holyoke, Chicopee, or Springfield. That's the direction the vehicle would have been coming from. Someone from Granby would probably have dumped the body in a more obscure location. There were plenty of dirt roads and places where someone could dump the body unseen. (In fact, the mafia dumped a body in one of these obscure areas on the other side of town. The body was found when a dog carried an arm back to his owner). The body was buried in a shallow grave and covered with a log. Perhaps the dump site was a matter of convenience.

Here are the key details from the Doe Network:

Date of Discovery: November 15, 1978
Estimated Date of Death: 3-12 months prior
Location: 600-700 feet off Amherst Street, Granby, Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Between Amherst Street and power lines
In a shallow grave beneath a log.
Near a gravel pit?

Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot (low caliber)
Condition of Corpse: mostly skeletal
Estimated Age: 19--26 years old
Hair Color: Light blonde or light brown, long.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Chunky build.
Dentals: Unknown. Her front teeth had noticeable decay.
Clothing: jeans, a short-sleeved polka dot shirt with a swan embroidered on it, green collar. Vinyl wedgie-style shoes, blue tank top, and black windbreaker. Some jewelry present and a magnet in her pocket.
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown

Addendum: Talking to some people from Town on the "You Know You're From Granby When" Facebook page, I learned that a guy from Granby had hired some guys to do some logging in the area. The area was own my this guy's father. The body was not intentionally covered with a log, rather a dead tree had fallen on it.

It was found on an obscure path. It was not visible from the road. Someone would have had to have been there before to know about it.

Amherst Street, Not Amherst Road
Jane Doe was discovered off of Amherst Street, NOT Amherst Road.
Amherst Street is a well-traveled street that runs from Route 202 to Route 116. (Amherst Road is actually part of Route 116). In 1978, the trails were not as popular or well-kept as they are now. The Notch Visitors Center that provides parking for the trails may not have been built. Up until the 1970s, there was a night club called Henri's on the site. I think it closed in the early 1980s, but I can't find anything online about it. At any rate, the trails, many of which were built during the Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corps, lead nowhere near the Jane Doe site. In fact, they can't reach the site there is a lake in between.

College kids may have hitched on Amherst Road/Route 116 because it runs from UMass and Amherst College, past Hampshire College, and then Mount Holyoke College. Amherst Street, however, is perpendicular to Amherst Road; it doesn't lead to the colleges. I can't find corroboration for it, but there was likely free bus service along Amherst Road/Route 116. It was there in the early and mid-1980s and may have been available then. Hitch hiking was probably less popular than some have made it seem.

The information about Jane Doe's is sparse. The most striking feature is that she had noticeable tooth decay. Although we might associate tooth decay with drug use, it's important to note that neither crystal meth nor crack were being smoked much, if at all, back then. My guess is that the poor condition of her teeth was due to poverty. Her clothes also suggest she might have been poor. Her hair seems to have been the nondescript color between blonde and brown. In 1978, forensics were relatively primitive, and her body was fairly well skeletonized. Most striking was the fact that she had a leather belt, perhaps to drag her to the burial site, around her neck. She was shot in the head, my friend the former police chief thinks, with a low caliber gun, a .22 or .32.

Here are the key details from the Doe Network:

Date of Discovery: November 15, 1978
Estimated Date of Death: 3-12 months prior
Location: 600-700 feet off Amherst Street, Granby, Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Between Amherst Street and power lines
In a shallow grave beneath a log.
Near a gravel pit?

Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot (low caliber)
Condition of Corpse: mostly skeletal
Estimated Age: 19--26 years old
Hair Color: Light blonde or light brown, long.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Chunky build.
Dentals: Unknown. Her front teeth had noticeable decay.
Clothing: jeans, a short-sleeved polka dot shirt with a swan embroidered on it, green collar. Vinyl wedgie-style shoes, blue tank top, and black windbreaker. Some jewelry present and a magnet in her pocket.
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown

Early '70's. Yes on hitching in the Five Colleges area in the 1970's. Yes on a Five College bus between the campuses. But you couldn't travel between Mount Holyoke and Smith: you had to go over to Amherst first. There was virtually no public transportation between this area (especially South Hadley, which I'm more familiar with) and Springfield, Holyoke, well, anything really. Not many young people had cars. Thus, the need to hitch. People worried about hitching, but that became more of an issue in later years.

IRC, Granby was on the Five College bus route, but you couldn't get off. Parts of Granby are on Route 116?

Could the UID have been on a bicycle? Is the trailhead/entry to the woods visible from the road? She could have run in there to get away from someone and was unsuccessful? She jumped out of a car?

The magnet may have been used to defeat security devices in retail shops, if they used magnets in those days. The shirt (or other item) could have been hocked? Maybe the magnet was for something similar, but not exactly that? Stealing coins? Jewelry?

Just reminded me - Last month, the sister of this woman, Claire Angelene Boussierre/Warner posted missing person notice for her on the Never Forget Me fb page. Claire has been missing since 1978, but she is not listed on any of the major public listings (NamUS, Charley, DoeNet, or NAMPN).

4c3d5d63-5433-4290-b6e6-3c188e4100f0.jpg

I suggested to Claire's sister that she look into the possibility that this Granby Jane Doe might be Claire.

She said that she would contact LE ASAP, though I have never verified whether she actually did.

That MP photo shows good quality front teeth, and they're probably natural, since there's a gap between them and no straightening, orthodontia, etc.

Also, her jaws seem very asymmetrical. This would have shown up on a skull?

Dang, if I'm not now hooked into this case! But I also feel a little uncomfortable about commenting on someone's appearance or other potentially unflattering items. I hope it's okay.

The swan is quite different-looking from the Gloria V. Swan. This shirt just looks like it is for someone much younger. It also crossed my mind that it could be a pajama top? Or, a top for a nurse's aide for a pediatric unit? It is just a strange top even for that time period, IMO.

HMMM.... what hospitals are in that area?

I disagree about the swan not looking like a Gloria Vanderbilt swan. Looks exactly like one to me and explains why ever time I look at the shirt, I think, "I've seen that somewhere."

Now it might not actually BE a Gloria Vanderbilt swan. I'm not convinced on that part. The general style and the lack of labels make me wonder whether it was a homemade item--home sewing was big in the 70's.

I disagree about the swan not looking like a Gloria Vanderbilt swan. Looks exactly like one to me and explains why ever time I look at the shirt, I think, "I've seen that somewhere."

Now it might not actually BE a Gloria Vanderbilt swan. I'm not convinced on that part. The general style and the lack of labels make me wonder whether it was a homemade item--home sewing was big in the 70's.

It could just be a cheap knock-off. I doubt a real Gloria Vanderbilt shirt would have a logo right in the middle of the front: that seems kind of tacky, especially for the late '70s, which was before wearing logos was popular. IIRC, that concept started with IZOD and maybe Ralph Lauren, but now has been distastefully maximized by companies like UnderArmor and The North Face ( for the last decade or so owned by Vanity Fair).

I don't believe that shirt style would have been unusual in the late '70s. It's made to look like a two-layered kind of thing. Synthetics like polyester especially were popular. In those days, scrubs were plain and nurses, dental hygienists etc. wore white.

I don't believe there were labels on the inside seam in those days that indicated fabric content and washing instructions. Potentially, there would have been a label at the neck, but those can be itchy and may have been removed. It would be easy to tell from looking at the seams whether this item was home-stitched. It does not look home-stitched to me. If the fabric is a knit, that would seem even more unlikely to me, since it would be hard to get that neck detail with a knit. I know from sewing knits myself in the '70's.

Holyoke Hospital is not too far away.

View attachment 74850

Bumping the image of the shirt

As a longtime seamstress, I think this top is hand made, the swan a hand appliqué. If i could see the inner seams more clearly, i could say 100% one way or the other. Is there a higher res version of this pic somewhere?

I'm off to google vintage sewing patterns.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back