VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold patrol

Family of #TravisAlexander has gone up to court hallway seats two days in row at about 4pm. Today #JodiArias family is up in those seats.

JA's family trying to get snatched by the hair out of those chairs?

Naw, the Alexanders wouldn't do that.

But, I sure would. Gladly.

Gold patrol

Family of #TravisAlexander has gone up to court hallway seats two days in row at about 4pm. Today #JodiArias family is up in those seats.

If I were the Alexanders I would still be right there. I'm not sure I would have the balls to do that if I were the Arias family especially since none of them would testify in open court for Jodi.

I was so sure this jury would get it right. Whether LWOP or DP, I was so convinced they would all come together. I couldn't conceive of another hung jury. Let's see, OJ Simpson, Casey Anthony and now, even though JA was found guilty..she gets life. And she gets to hang around Estrella until JSS sentences her and JSS may not even sentence her to LWOP. I have no hope anymore.

After the announcement that the jury is hung is tweeted, I'm done. I sure as hell don't need to see the lamest judge known to me sentence her, or to ever see the sadistic murderer ever again. Nor will there be a need to watch the released video or read the transcripts. I doubt I'll ever follow another trial again. I'm done. There is no true justice in courts of law. I feel for the Alexander family who deserved so much more than this despicable travesty. Thanks, Judge Stephens. Ultimately, I blame you. Evil triumphs because you enable it. /bitter rant

I'm really shocked at this turn of events. No more excuses.

Carolyn Sung ‏@CarolynSungCNN 52s52 seconds ago
Jurors have been deliberating for approx 19.5 hours. #jodiarias #VerdictWatch

Sharp Dressed Mike! Is he the same court reporter from her last trial? I loved watching his facial expressions.

I have to tell you that I would not vote for death for her. Not because I believe anything she says or agree with any of the mitigators. But because I think the DP is for people who murder more than one person. I think it is for people who kill kids or serial killers or people who target officers. But in this case, I don't see it. If it was me, I would be voting against DP here. I know people want her to pay. So do I. I would have given OJ death because he killed two people. I think Scott Peterson deserved death because he killed 2 people.
But as horrible as this killing was, I just would not vote for the DP for her. I think it is for the worst of the worst and I don't see that here. It could be that someone else feels the same way.

If she doesn't qualify for the worst of the worst, no one does. She carved him up.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 16s17 seconds ago
And yes we're still locked out. #jodiarias

Well, no you wouldn't be voting against death here. Because in voir dire you would have been honest and said I can only vote death in a case of multiple murders. Not pretend that you are death qualified for the case being presented. THAT is what I think happened here, and in the last trial phase. Somebody lied and pretended they were death qualified.

I am not against the Death Penalty and if they proved to me that she was eligible I would have considered it for sure. But that does not mean that I have to vote for DP when all is said and done. I think that there are a lot of people that believe in the dp but then when it comes down to the case and listening they have to weigh what they think at the end against the law. In this case, now, hearing it all, I would not vote for DP. If you asked me in the beginning I was open to it. But now at the end of it all, I think she is horrible and despicable and dangerous but I don't see the DP now.

Still sneaky courtroom right to the very bitter end.
MOO

What is the bet that if and when the jury comes back to say they're hopelessly deadlocked, that JSS will take a week long recess to decide whether she should give JA LWOP or LWP?

My guess would be even longer than that JSS is horrible about managing her Court calendar

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 52s52 seconds ago
And yes we're still locked out. #jodiarias

I have to tell you that I would not vote for death for her. Not because I believe anything she says or agree with any of the mitigators. But because I think the DP is for people who murder more than one person. I think it is for people who kill kids or serial killers or people who target officers. But in this case, I don't see it. If it was me, I would be voting against DP here. I know people want her to pay. So do I. I would have given OJ death because he killed two people. I think Scott Peterson deserved death because he killed 2 people.
But as horrible as this killing was, I just would not vote for the DP for her. I think it is for the worst of the worst and I don't see that here. It could be that someone else feels the same way.

I have been for LWOP since the ending of the first trial, for different reasons.
I do hope this is over soon. The sooner it's over the sooner the family can try to heal.

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 20s20 seconds ago
Some of the bigger personality'd spectators are here and very vocal. #jodiarias

I believe it is someone that is internally conflicted re: the death penalty.

I agree and predicted this would happen. I think people that claim they can be on a DP jury dont realize that they really can't when it comes to the end and they realize they have to sign a DP verdict form. Its a classic case of getting cold feet.

I think much more needs to be done up front in the vetting process. I would go as far to say that when they think they have their jury pool, they need one final step to have each 1 of them sit down with a professional and make sure they fully understand what they are getting ready to ask them to do.

If that would happen, I bet they would weed out 1/2 of the ones that said they would be fine with it.

This happens way too often and it screams out that something is wrong with the vetting process. It is not thorough enough to make sure they fully understand what they are fixing to be asked to do.

This IS a DP case and the State has already confirmed her guilt in the guilt phase.
Nothing the DT said changed anything. If anything, it made JA more guilty to me.

If the jurors had been honest with themselves up front that they could handle this, then this would have been a simple process to finalize her worthy sentence.

Instead, a few jurors are looking for excuses because they cannot get themselves to sign a DP verdict. So they will claim it was THIS or THAT, but really it is the few jurors themselves that
JUST CANT HANDLE IT.

And for that reason, I am upset about this. Nothing the DT said during this phase changed anything. If anything, it showed JA is more of a liar than I thought and makes her more guilty.

Might be difficult to announce it without first reading it.

Those pesky little distinctions without differences...
Why? "We have been informed the jury has reached a verdict. Due to the time, it will be read in court tomorrow at 10:00am."

If that is true then they lied during voir dire.

Or most likely some truly believe the mitigating factors outweighed the aggravating ones?

I don't agree but I can see how some might given the way this phase of the trial was handled/presented to them.

If she doesn't qualify for the worst of the worst, no one does. She carved him up.

She killed him brutally for sure. And she should be in prison for the rest of her life. But there are things here that take it away from the DP for me. It is just me, and I realize some will not get that or be unhappy I think that, But I do.

I am not against the Death Penalty and if they proved to me that she was eligible I would have considered it for sure. But that does not mean that I have to vote for DP when all is said and done. I think that there are a lot of people that believe in the dp but then when it comes down to the case and listening they have to weigh what they think at the end against the law. In this case, now, hearing it all, I would not vote for DP. If you asked me in the beginning I was open to it. But now at the end of it all, I think she is horrible and despicable and dangerous but I don't see the DP now.

I'm curious Scarlett - what's missing for you? Or what's there that says Life?

In her "What's Next for Arias" article on karasoncrime.com, Beth Karas says that JSS will decide between natural life or life with possible release within 2 months of a life verdict. I imagine it would be about the same amount of time if this jury deadlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member