GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do so many people put JMO or IMO in their posts.

Not a criticism, a genuine question.

BTW I know what they both mean.

Is there some widely held mistaken belief that tacking those phrases onto a post is some kind of magical shield against legal action?

If you are stating something as Fact then you need to link up to back up what you are saying as fact. Example: the law says.... unless you are a verified lawyer you can not state that as fact without a link. You can give your opinion on the law but it can't be stated as fact. Same goes for what is known about a case. You can discuss what is known thru the media and from law enforcement, if you are stating something as fact then you link up to back up what you are saying. If its an opinion you don't need to back it up but it does have to do with the case at hand.

It has nothing to do with a magical shield, it has more to do with keeping rumor to a minimum. Of course nothing is perfect but this seems to work pretty good. hope that helps :smile:

Got it. I see DM have exceeded themselves - posting pics without actually stating what they are implying

Edit: exceeded?!? I mean excelled. Brain fog
I cant remember the news outlet, but last week one of them posted a headline 'Jihadi Johns sister has never heard of Kim Kardashian'.

Like wtf. Way to get people clicking your crappy news link...

Slightly confused, the CPS prosecutes cases so they would be the people adding the charges not a law firm.

In my experience the CPS only pursues charges they believe they have a very high chance of winning in court. Not seen this scatter gun approach.
I never said it was the law firm... but as trainee solicitors we had to know how the cps/charges work so that we could best advise clients. The CPS give the go ahead for charges to be bought or not but LE also determine to some extent (under guidance) whether charges are bought by the quality and amount of evidence they present to CPS

Not always but in cases where there is a bigger chance of doubt thus a smaller chance of conviction or if the evidence that the police have is more circumstantial for the "main charge" then they can also present evidence to the CPS on lesser charges where the burden of proof is less.

Simply put - if the main charge of murder is dismissed then at least they have a chance on convicting on the lesser charge

A recent case where individuals have been charged with multiple offences

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-31006969

Oh this is such heartbreaking news. Like somebody said above think of how the step mum must feel. Losing your step daughter in such a brutal way and then realising that it was your own son who did that to her. Ugh. This all makes me so sick. What I think is strange is that they never mentioned the step brother at all in the MSM before there was an arrest and names. I'm wondering why? Especially if the mum was at the house possibly with him, why didn't they mention that he was there as well? They made it seem like she was home alone? There's still so many pieces missing but I really just want to know WHY?!

The police were very guarded, right from the start, about who else was in the house that day. I think it was the question about how was it known that Becky left the house at 11.15am, that led to the comment, by the police, that there were other people and family members in the house at that time....

I would be interested to know if he, the stepbrother, joined any of the searches. I could see her - the g/f - having the excuse of needing to take care of their daughter, but I wonder if he also made excuses.

I'm sure that can't be right, otherwise any murder carried out in the victim's home could be classed as kidnap.

I see where you are coming from, and you may be correct. It will be interesting to hear what led up to the murder. I expect additional charges. JMO

I never said it was the law firm... but as trainee solicitors we had to know how the cps/charges work so that we could best advise clients. The CPS give the go ahead for charges to be bought or not but LE also determine to some extent (under guidance) whether charges are bought by the quality and amount of evidence they present to CPS

Not always but in cases where there is a bigger chance of doubt thus a smaller chance of conviction or if the evidence that the police have is more circumstantial for the "main charge" then they can also present evidence to the CPS on lesser charges where the burden of proof is less.

Simply put - if the main charge of murder is dismissed then at least they have a chance on convicting on the lesser charge
The CPS obviously had a bigger set of balls in those days. [emoji3]

Now they are far more likely to go for the lesser charge straight away if the believe it's got a much stronger chance of a conviction.

If you are stating something as Fact then you need to link up to back up what you are saying as fact. Example: the law says.... unless you are a verified lawyer you can not state that as fact without a link. You can give your opinion on the law but it can't be stated as fact. Same goes for what is known about a case. You can discuss what is known thru the media and from law enforcement, if you are stating something as fact then you link up to back up what you are saying. If its an opinion you don't need to back it up but it does have to do with the case at hand.

It has nothing to do with a magical shield, it has more to do with keeping rumor to a minimum. Of course nothing is perfect but this seems to work pretty good. hope that helps [emoji2]
Yup, thanks.

Got some interesting answers.

Just wanted to check that people didn't believe it gave them Carte Blanche to say what ever they felt like, be it libelous or potentially prejudicial and avoid any legal consequences.

I'm once again astounded - absolutely astounded - by the ability of English people to bury and conceal victims in pocket-size gardens and tiny row (terraced) homes, without being noticed. There are so many cases.

I just heard on the radio five other people are still being held? It's sickening to think a whole bunch of people might have conspired to help cover up the murder of this young teen. I hope it's not true.

Poor little Becky. :(

The police were very guarded, right from the start, about who else was in the house that day. I think it was the question about how was it known that Becky left the house at 11.15am, that led to the comment, by the police, that there were other people and family members in the house at that time....

I would be interested to know if he, the stepbrother, joined any of the searches. I could see her - the g/f - having the excuse of needing to take care of their daughter, but I wonder if he also made excuses.

This DM article 26th Feb I thought Police made some telling statements http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-BLOOD-fears-grow-fell-victim-sex-attack.html

"'Yes, there were other people in the house at that time (when she went missing). Yes, there were family members.

'We're trying to establish at the moment if anyone in the house at the time actually saw her leave the house. We're working on that at the moment.'

DI Ocone added that police had yet to find any confirmed sightings of CCTV images of the girl following her disappearance.

'We have had a number of reported sightings but we haven't found anything as of yet,' he said.

'Certainly nothing that has taken us forward in returning her, which is obviously our objective in this situation.

'If you've got any information we'd ask you to come forward.

'There are no confirmed sightings of her since she left the house and that's one of the things that is so concerning.

'We're seven days on now, we're a week on and actually we haven't got a confirmed sighting away from the address "

I remember a statement from I think the Uncle saying that no-one who'd been with them on the searches had been arrested, something like that. I will see if I can find it.

Jmho, but I think the truth of what happened overall has a lot to do with the Wednesday.

I'm in a hotel that picks up British TV. It's showing a photo of stepbrother dressed up as a convict, at Christmas, WTH?

At least, I presume it's Christmas as girlfriend's in a Santa outfit.

This DM article 26th Feb I thought Police made some telling statements http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-BLOOD-fears-grow-fell-victim-sex-attack.html

"'Yes, there were other people in the house at that time (when she went missing). Yes, there were family members.

'We're trying to establish at the moment if anyone in the house at the time actually saw her leave the house. We're working on that at the moment.'

DI Ocone added that police had yet to find any confirmed sightings of CCTV images of the girl following her disappearance.

'We have had a number of reported sightings but we haven't found anything as of yet,' he said.

'Certainly nothing that has taken us forward in returning her, which is obviously our objective in this situation.

'If you've got any information we'd ask you to come forward.

'There are no confirmed sightings of her since she left the house and that's one of the things that is so concerning.

'We're seven days on now, we're a week on and actually we haven't got a confirmed sighting away from the address "

I remember a statement from I think the Uncle saying that no-one who'd been with them on the searches had been arrested, something like that. I will see if I can find it.
That's pretty damning I think, it looks like they suspected the people in the house right from the start which would go hand in hand with why the uncle was saying nobody connected to Darren's side of the family. I really feel for the stepmother, how do you move forward after that?

I cant remember the news outlet, but last week one of them posted a headline 'Jihadi Johns sister has never heard of Kim Kardashian'.

Like wtf. Way to get people clicking your crappy news link...
It's a sad state of affairs when a murdering becomes a celebrity toy for the tabloids to play with.

Coming soon to Low IQ TV ' Living with the Jihadis': Follow the trials and tribulations of the parents and siblings of a murderous religious zealot as they attempt to annoy Daily Mail readers by exploiting the benefits system.

Thanks for that Bluey........... I had forgotten that remark We're working on that at the moment and I now remember how so many people were commenting how strange it was that, one week after Becky had disappeared, the police were still working to find out that seemingly basic detail....

If, as many of us now suspect, it all happened at the family home, then that statement makes sense and shows how far down the line the police already were

I'm sure I read somewhere when the MSM announced Nathan's name, that he had been on camera alongside Becky's father appealing for help in a live news feed. Probably the Daily Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288