EVIDENCE - Pro and Con #2

Tammy Moorer's defense attorney accused in court filing of violating gag order

http://myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_154b8190-c2b2-11e4-8482-6f63026d7135.html?mode=jqm

Really? GMAB

I just posted last night how I was seeing comments from both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any typos!

I have never heard of prosecutors hiring private outside counsel to handle parts of their case. Is that normal in SC?

Interesting ruling http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/opinions//unpublishedopinions/HTMLFiles/COA/2015-UP-111.pdf (I mos def don't understand SC courts, lol.)

I see that Ms. Golding represented Magistrate Butler re: releasing evidence in the HE case
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/11/13/4604190_judge-delays-ruling-on-release.html?rh=1

And it looks like the same thing happened - judge said he can't rule on another judge's ruling.
Hyman referred the case to Circuit Court Judge Steven John, who issued a gag order in the case of Sidney Moorer and Tammy Moorer. The couple are each charged in connection with Elvis’ disappearance and face murder and kidnapping charges in the case.

Hyman did allow The Sun News to join the filing with Waccamaw Publishers to seek the search warrant returns in the Moorer case from Magistrate Arron Butler, who said releasing the information “could jeopardize the ongoing investigation.”

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/06/11/4283910/judge-hyman-defers-to-judge-john.html

I haven't followed this case but seems like kind of a great big mess. I'm not sure what to think about the state's case now.

JMO

I have never heard of prosecutors hiring private outside counsel to handle parts of their case. Is that normal in SC?

This is intriguing me too. I'm from SC and don't recall this happening either. My question is could the Elvis family have have hired Henrietta Golden? I know when I saw that she was involved in the case I got excited. She's tough!

Concerning the cancelled gag order hearing, I am still not understanding things completely.:scared:

1. If Judge Dennis wasn't allowed to overturn Judge John's gag order then, why wasn't the hearing scheduled with Judge John? Why didn't anyone flag it when it was first filed?
  2. Why didn't the State bring these items to attention right after they happened or learned about them? Why did they wait until the day before the hearing?
  3. Why was the the State allowed to submit a memorandum directly to Judge Dennis and have the hearing cancelled? Shouldn't this info been used at the hearing? Why was Judge Dennis then allowed to rule in the matter? And, did he sign-off on it yet or did Judge John?
  4. If Judge Dennis was allowed to cancel the hearing, then why could he not hear the Defense's case against the gag order? Judge John signed an order in 2014 that grants Judge Dennis “concurrent jurisdiction” to hear matters related to the Elvis case. Including the gag order!
  5. Right after last bond hearing, both Attorneys made comments and were speaking to the press. Here's Truslow on video.

Concurrent jurisdiction exists where two or more courts from different systems simultaneously have jurisdiction over a specific case. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_jurisdiction

And my question is: If Judge Dennis ISN'T going to be here in Horry County (I was under the impression he was being moved here. He said at the last bond hearing he was still in Charleston because a case he was on had lasted longer than expected. He offered his apologies for this at the bond hearing and gave a thank-you to everyone for making the haul to Charleston.) - then why was he brought into this in the first place? Since he is clearly still down in Charleston - I'm very confused. :waitasec:

I don't know that anyone has difficulty in connecting the dots. It's just that the really big dot about how she was killed and where she is now is missing along the otherwise info-loaded circumstantial trail. I would think a jury would be interested in how the victim died in such a fleeting amount of time, almost as if she launched herself from her vehicle onto the murder weapon/method of the M's immediately upon their arrival at PTL. And then they went back toward their home but don't appear to have done anything with Heather on their property. While the state might not have to answer the most obvious questions, it would make sense to me that jurors would be trying to fit those square pegs into the rest of the case's round holes.

To me this has always been a case of the police knowing a lot about what they don't know about. I think that's potentially an obstacle, given that the defense also has a shot at the jury.

I am really hoping the prosecution has a really strong theory about what happened that makes strong logical sense.

I am really hoping the prosecution has a really strong theory about what happened that makes strong logical sense.

In a perfect world. :escape:

A jury for sure would like to know how a victim died. But that's not a requirement for them to convict as long as the state can prove the victim died and died as a result of a homicide. A couple cases in which COD was unknown but the killers were convicted anyway and happen to be on death row:

- Scott Peterson (wife Laci's body washed ashore 4 months after she went missing. COD unknown)

- Danielle Van Dam (7 yr old kidnapped out of her house by pervy middle age neighbor. Her body was found 3 weeks later. COD unknown due to the advanced state of decomp).

A jury for sure would like to know how a victim died. But that's not a requirement for them to convict as long as the state can prove the victim died and died as a result of a homicide. A couple cases in which COD was unknown but the killers were convicted anyway and happen to be on death row:

- Scott Peterson (wife Laci's body washed ashore 4 months after she went missing. COD unknown)

- Danielle Van Dam (7 yr old kidnapped out of her house by pervy middle age neighbor. Her body was found 3 weeks later. COD unknown due to the advanced state of decomp).

I honestly haven't seen where anyone has said no body and a jury not knowing the manner of death = no conviction. I've said I think there's potentially a problem in the claim she died at PTL, while claiming at the same time nothing is known about that. And, I don't agree that cases where bodies were actually found are correlative to a case where one wasn't.

I see what you are saying - but in this case - as of right now - we don't have a body OR a COD. In both of those - they at least had the body of the deceased.

O/T:

Kirk Truslow representing one of these scumbags...

Griffin, originally from Virginia, told the judge she wished to have her attorney, Kirk Truslow, at the hearing. Griffin’s initial bond hearing was rescheduled for Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Truslow also represents Sidney Moorer, who is charged with murder in connection with the disappearance of Heather Elvis.

[...]

http://www.thestate.com/2015/03/09/4034706_conway-man-teen-charged-with-murder.html

O/T:

Griffin, originally from Virginia, told the judge she wished to have her attorney, Kirk Truslow, at the hearing. Griffin’s initial bond hearing was rescheduled for Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Truslow also represents Sidney Moorer, who is charged with murder in connection with the disappearance of Heather Elvis.

[...]

http://www.thestate.com/2015/03/09/4034706_conway-man-teen-charged-with-murder.html

Yuck!
What that couple did to his poor parents makes me sick to my stomach. I hope young girls everywhere will look at this and see what my daddy always told me growing up is true... "If you lie down with dogs, you'll catch their fleas!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read the entire first thread and this one and wow my head is spinning. I understand that you guys are starting to discuss the current status of the case, and I'm bringing up older evidence, but hopefully that's ok. I'm only a few years older than HE, and I went through something extremely similar when I was 20. My own experiences and proximity in age to her gave me kind of a unique outlook on all of this. There's way too much info floating around in my head, so for right now, I am only going to comment on the original timeline from HE's point of view.

Date with SS - I hope using information gathered from her Twitter account is okay. Going through it, she does not hide her love for marijuana use at all. I hate to speculate on a topic so touchy, but I would guess that they 'indulged' on their date and/or after. 5 1/2 hours is pretty long for a date. It's completely normal for people my age to include that as part of a 'date', so it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think any sort of usage such as that would be disclosed to the public, though. The only reason it might matter because it could potentially shed some light on her mind sight that early morning. Being impaired in that way may have made her more vulnerable to his advances. You do feel more love-y towards people/the world in that sort of state.

HE received the call from SM at aprox 1:35 AM. He told HE he was leaving TM for her. I’m not going to speculate if this was the truth or part of the trap, but this is known for sure to be said by SM. HE was understandably upset and called BW. BW later said she told HE to "not do it". That's kind of vague. Not do what? Meet up with him? "Be with" him? Call him back? Maybe I'm reading too much into that vagueness but it seems like it's worth clarifying.

Social Media - After the phone call with BW, HE posted to Tumblr 10 times. Rapid posting like that is to be done as a distraction, or while waiting for something. Particularly when it is all about one topic, such as HE's flurry of posts. SM got her thinking, she put up quotes and poems about wanting to be loved and whatnot. She was free spirited but weighed down by insecurities. She was hungry for love, but her own self doubt failed to keep her inside appropriate boundaries. This is all read between the lines of her tumblr. Most of what was put up that night has a slight note of hopefulness. It seems to me that she was at least entertaining the idea of being with him.

The twenty minutes before calling SM but after the last post to Tumblr are seemingly “unaccounted” for. IMO, she was Facebook-ing. Most likely talking to at least one person on the Facebook chat. If she mentioned about meeting up with SM or going to PTL in a private conversation on social media, I don’t think LE would release it.

I’m not going to speculate (on this post) about the next succession of calls or the contents of the last 5 minute call. I'm just going along with the original timeline, which has her leaving her apartment to head to PTL.

PTL - PTL was most likely a typical meet up spot for them. In my own experience, there is a seemingly neutral spot to meet up where we can feel safely out of sight of a snooping spouse. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for HE and SM. She was totally hung up on this guy, and even if she wanted to move on, it's hard for a 20 year old to do so in such a short amount of time. She cared for SM, she trusted him to protect her, which is the saddest part of it all. HE was free spirited and bold (she pursued a married man!), it’s not hard to believe that she would go, and that the last four calls were her being freaked out being there so late and wanting to know if he was close.

Okay I know thats a LOT and probably off topic at this point, but I just had to throw my two cents in!

O/T:

[...]

That's just awful. Those poor parents. Such an intimate betrayal. Sidney is in great company. Ugh. Better call Saul.

Good post @sweet bee!

I have read the entire first thread and this one and wow my head is spinning. I understand that you guys are starting to discuss the current status of the case, and I'm bringing up older evidence, but hopefully that's ok. I'm only a few years older than HE, and I went through something extremely similar when I was 20. My own experiences and proximity in age to her gave me kind of a unique outlook on all of this. There's way too much info floating around in my head, so for right now, I am only going to comment on the original timeline from HE's point of view.

Date with SS - I hope using information gathered from her Twitter account is okay. Going through it, she does not hide her love for marijuana use at all. I hate to speculate on a topic so touchy, but I would guess that they 'indulged' on their date and/or after. 5 1/2 hours is pretty long for a date. It's completely normal for people my age to include that as part of a 'date', so it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think any sort of usage such as that would be disclosed to the public, though. The only reason it might matter because it could potentially shed some light on her mind sight that early morning. Being impaired in that way may have made her more vulnerable to his advances. You do feel more love-y towards people/the world in that sort of state.

HE received the call from SM at aprox 1:35 AM. He told HE he was leaving TM for her. I’m not going to speculate if this was the truth or part of the trap, but this is known for sure to be said by SM. HE was understandably upset and called BW. BW later said she told HE to "not do it". That's kind of vague. Not do what? Meet up with him? "Be with" him? Call him back? Maybe I'm reading too much into that vagueness but it seems like it's worth clarifying.

Social Media - After the phone call with BW, HE posted to Tumblr 10 times. Rapid posting like that is to be done as a distraction, or while waiting for something. Particularly when it is all about one topic, such as HE's flurry of posts. SM got her thinking, she put up quotes and poems about wanting to be loved and whatnot. She was free spirited but weighed down by insecurities. She was hungry for love, but her own self doubt failed to keep her inside appropriate boundaries. This is all read between the lines of her tumblr. Most of what was put up that night has a slight note of hopefulness. It seems to me that she was at least entertaining the idea of being with him.

The twenty minutes before calling SM but after the last post to Tumblr are seemingly “unaccounted” for. IMO, she was Facebook-ing. Most likely talking to at least one person on the Facebook chat. If she mentioned about meeting up with SM or going to PTL in a private conversation on social media, I don’t think LE would release it.

I’m not going to speculate (on this post) about the next succession of calls or the contents of the last 5 minute call. I'm just going along with the original timeline, which has her leaving her apartment to head to PTL.

PTL - PTL was most likely a typical meet up spot for them. In my own experience, there is a seemingly neutral spot to meet up where we can feel safely out of sight of a snooping spouse. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for HE and SM. She was totally hung up on this guy, and even if she wanted to move on, it's hard for a 20 year old to do so in such a short amount of time. She cared for SM, she trusted him to protect her, which is the saddest part of it all. HE was free spirited and bold (she pursued a married man!), it’s not hard to believe that she would go, and that the last four calls were her being freaked out being there so late and wanting to know if he was close.

Okay I know thats a LOT and probably off topic at this point, but I just had to throw my two cents in!

Welcome and thank you for your perspective. I had the same impression of her Twitter account as you did-- passing time while reflecting on things. I do believe she was "in the moment" during her time posting there. It is kind of chilling to me because it is a final glimpse into what was on Heather's mind so close to meeting tragedy.

Welcome and thank you for your perspective. I had the same impression of her Twitter account as you did-- passing time while reflecting on things. I do believe she was "in the moment" during her time posting there. It is kind of chilling to me because it is a final glimpse into what was on Heather's mind so close to meeting tragedy.

"in the moment" - perfect way of putting it. I agree, looking into social media of either missing/abducted girls; or young murderers themselves are so so interesting. There are 3 Twitters to sift through if you follow the Skylar Neese case. The two girls who murdered, and then Skylar herself. Very interesting information that accompanies today's missing person cases. A modern take on the whole "find the victim's diary" thing lol

"in the moment" - perfect way of putting it. I agree, looking into social media of either missing/abducted girls; or young murderers themselves are so so interesting. There are 3 Twitters to sift through if you follow the Skylar Neese case. The two girls who murdered, and then Skylar herself. Very interesting information that accompanies today's missing person cases. A modern take on the whole "find the victim's diary" thing lol

How true, and poor Skylar--so trusting of her "pals". I followed her case in the media, and not on Websleuths, if I remember correctly. I'm sure WS has all the links to their social media. Reading up on this will be interesting for sure. Those two were diabolical.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back